Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 08:13:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Metallica thread
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 137 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Metallica thread  (Read 484832 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #2260 on: December 11, 2008, 10:00:32 PM »

Nah, I like Robert. He did write the riff on All Nightmare Long which is awesome. Jason never wrote anything.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #2261 on: December 11, 2008, 10:31:41 PM »

I don't dislike Robert. I think he's a very good bassist. I guess i'm still trying to get used to no Jason. He was great live and always got the crowd into it.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #2262 on: December 11, 2008, 11:18:13 PM »

I don't dislike Robert. I think he's a very good bassist. I guess i'm still trying to get used to no Jason. He was great live and always got the crowd into it.

I always loved James' stance on side projects etc.  They drive me crazy when someone in a band i like it off with a thousand other people.

*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #2263 on: December 11, 2008, 11:23:16 PM »

true! Especially when there main band is putting an album out.Or planning a tour.

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

Liberating wangs one dong at a time!!!
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #2264 on: December 12, 2008, 12:09:29 AM »

How many singles are they up to now?  Looks like they're gonna go for 9 singles out of the 10, I doubt the 10 minute insturmental would be big on radio, though it does kick ass!  That's the sign of a good album.

Isn't All Nightmare Long only the second single released so far?
The first was The Day That Never Comes.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #2265 on: December 12, 2008, 12:12:45 AM »

How many singles are they up to now?  Looks like they're gonna go for 9 singles out of the 10, I doubt the 10 minute insturmental would be big on radio, though it does kick ass!  That's the sign of a good album.

In the US they released Cyanide about a month ago, not sure about worldwide

crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2266 on: December 12, 2008, 12:23:44 AM »

They didnt release Cyanide as a single. But radio did start playing it alot. I think because of requests more than anything...
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #2267 on: December 12, 2008, 12:26:10 AM »

In the US they released Cyanide about a month ago, not sure about worldwide

I thought they released 3 singles before the albums release (My Apocalypse being the 3rd).  Wikipedia lists "The Judas Kiss" as a released single too.  So this would be the 5th single I guess.

From wikipedia

"The Day That Never Comes" is the fortieth single by American heavy metal band Metallica, and the first from the band's new studio album, Death Magnetic. "The Day That Never Comes" was released to the radio and for digital download on Thursday August 21st, 2008 at 11 am PDT

"My Apocalypse" is the forty-first single by American heavy metal band Metallica, and the second from their ninth studio album, Death Magnetic. On August 26, 2008, it was made available for streaming on the band's official website, as well as a download (for Platinum Members only) from the Death Magnetic website Mission: Metallica.

"Cyanide" is the 42nd single by American heavy metal band Metallica, and the third from their ninth studio album, Death Magnetic. On September 1, 2008, it was made available for streaming on the band's official website, as well as a download (for Platinum Members only) from the Death Magnetic website Mission: Metallica.

"The Judas Kiss" is the forty-third single by American heavy metal band Metallica, and the fourth from their ninth studio album, Death Magnetic. On September 8, 2008, it was made available for streaming on the band's official website, as well as a download (for Platinum Members only) from the Death Magnetic website Mission: Metallica.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 12:29:56 AM by faldor » Logged

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #2268 on: December 12, 2008, 12:28:51 AM »

I thought they released a single a week or something leading up to the album

it was TDTNC, then Judas Kiss, My Apocalypse and I thought something else, maybe Cynanide as the album got released

now since its been out, we get All Nightmare Long

That Was Just Your Life, End Of the Line and Broken Beat And Scarred for me are the three best songs on the CD.

Dead N' Bloated
Legend

Too many times to make it home.

« Reply #2269 on: December 12, 2008, 01:41:59 AM »

The mors I listen to DM the less I like it. I really enjoy the music, ALOT, but the vocals, lyrics and vocal melodies and pretty poor. The words just seem like they were thrown together. No real thought put into it. The drums are good but Lars is gettting old and its unfair to expect Dyers eve again, but it seems like he is trying to reproduce what he did with MOP and AJFA when he was 20 something. In my opinion he finest moment was with Load, not reload. His style and rythem were just so tuned in then. Even the drumming in SA (not the production) was awesome. Basic but done very very well.

Don't get me wrong I do think it is the best album since Load but im getting over the "new Metallica album" stage and actually starting to listen to it properly and I'm finding alot of flaws. Well not flaws, but things I don't particularly like.

But if I was going to bang my head to any record this year it is definately Death Magnetic.

peace

10/06/07 Perth
13/06/07 ADL
15/06/07 MELB
16/06/07 MELB
19/06/07 BRIS
20/06/07 BRIS
23/06/07 SYD
24/06/07 SYD
04/12/10 SYD
12/03/13 SYD
13/03/13 NEWCASTLE
20/03/13 BRIS
...and then some
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2270 on: December 12, 2008, 02:37:45 AM »

They released their songs one by one, streaming on there website.  They didnt release them as radio singles even though Cyanide got a lot of airplay.  All Nightmare Long is the second single from Death Magnetic.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #2271 on: December 12, 2008, 09:43:43 AM »

They released their songs one by one, streaming on there website.  They didnt release them as radio singles even though Cyanide got a lot of airplay.  All Nightmare Long is the second single from Death Magnetic.
I think it depends how you look at it.  This is their second video for a single.  But they've had four singles chart and four were available for download prior to the albums release.  I'd call this their fifth single.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2272 on: December 12, 2008, 07:19:43 PM »

Making songs available for download is not releasing them as singles. The radio playing a new song from them is not them releasing a single. Some hit songs were never singles.  All Nightmare Long is the SECOND single released by the band.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #2273 on: December 12, 2008, 10:46:58 PM »

Making songs available for download is not releasing them as singles. The radio playing a new song from them is not them releasing a single. Some hit songs were never singles.  All Nightmare Long is the SECOND single released by the band.
So what IS a single?  Not trying to start a "thing" but what exactly IS your definition of a single?  I think you're in the minority who thinks this is the SECOND single from Death Magnetic.  This is the second video for Metallica, is that what your basing your logic on?  Because a video is not required to make a single.  I realize "The Day That Never Comes" was quite successful, but I'm not sure any single is good enough to last 4 months before a follow up single.

I will stand by my statement.  This is the FIFTH single from Death Magnetic.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 10:48:41 PM by faldor » Logged

metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #2274 on: December 13, 2008, 03:00:57 AM »

Sorry, but I'm with crow316, I believe this to be the 2nd "official" single to be released from Death Magnetic.

I never heard any of the other songs played on the radio here in Australia aside from The Day That Never Comes, and I think a video/cd single release is what defines a song as a single.
Now whether or not All Nightmare Long gets radio play or not is up for debate, but it is being released as a cd-single and has a video to go with it, so that is a "single" to me, the others weren't.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #2275 on: December 13, 2008, 01:03:17 PM »

Sorry, but I'm with crow316, I believe this to be the 2nd "official" single to be released from Death Magnetic.

I never heard any of the other songs played on the radio here in Australia aside from The Day That Never Comes, and I think a video/cd single release is what defines a song as a single.
Now whether or not All Nightmare Long gets radio play or not is up for debate, but it is being released as a cd-single and has a video to go with it, so that is a "single" to me, the others weren't.
I hear you, but Pearl Jam stopped making videos years ago and that hasn't prevented them from releasing singles.  And obviously GNR has released 2 singles from CD without any videos, but they ARE singles.   So a video is not required to equal a single.

crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2276 on: December 13, 2008, 08:06:25 PM »

I never said a video was manditory for a song to be a single. What I said was that just because the radio plays it, or you can download it, doesnt make it a single.  A single is a song selected by the band to represent the album at that point in time. It is officially relesed by the band, sometimes with a b-side or bonus track. All Nightmare Long is the SECOND single to be released from DM.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #2277 on: December 13, 2008, 09:33:48 PM »

I never said a video was manditory for a song to be a single. What I said was that just because the radio plays it, or you can download it, doesnt make it a single.  A single is a song selected by the band to represent the album at that point in time. It is officially relesed by the band, sometimes with a b-side or bonus track. All Nightmare Long is the SECOND single to be released from DM.
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #2278 on: December 18, 2008, 08:16:06 PM »

For Cyanide to not be an "Official" single it sure is tearing up the charts though............

U know, I think I just proved the theory that whatever u grow up with is always "BETTER" than something new.

I have been listening to a lot of Metallica. I never was a fan growing up etc.  But I started getting into them when i watched "Some Kind Of Monster"

Anyhow, I think Death Magnetic is their best CD ever. I love it more than all of the old ones.

I heard someone commenting on the instrumental Suicide and Redemption and how it is no Orion or Call of the Ktulu but I like it better.

I think this album is way better than the Black Album etc.

Is that because I am crazy? or just cause I had no previous emotional attachments to the other albums?

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #2279 on: December 18, 2008, 10:48:34 PM »

I think it's a very good album.  I have a personal attachment to the Black album.  That's the first Metallica album I got and I loved it.  Old school Metallica fans though would say that's when they started to sell out.  So it's all in preference.  I saw them live after the released Load and wanted to hear most of the Black album, while they played some classic stuff which I was only relatively familiar with at the time.  Over the years I've grown to love the older stuff and NOW I'd love to hear those songs again as I didn't truly appreciate their greatess at that time.

Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 137 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: