Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 06:30:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228540 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Metallica thread
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 137 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Metallica thread  (Read 487883 times)
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #520 on: February 25, 2005, 05:54:36 PM »

Excellent post, I think exactly the same, Im going to quote one thing, IMO, Metallica's music has more influence in nowadays musicians just because is more simple to play

what?!!? Shocked? ? rofl
Are we talking about the same Metallica? That is insane.

Well yeah I mean their riff is not something from outer space comparing to Guns, or even megadeth

No man can be my equal
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #521 on: February 25, 2005, 09:44:21 PM »

Excellent post, I think exactly the same, Im going to quote one thing, IMO, Metallica's music has more influence in nowadays musicians just because is more simple to play

what?!!  Shocked    rofl

Well yeah I mean their riff is not something from outer space comparing to Guns, or even megadeth

You do play the guitar right?

Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #522 on: February 25, 2005, 10:13:26 PM »

James and Kirk only wish they could hammer out riffs like Dave Mustaine.

jgfnsr
« Reply #523 on: February 25, 2005, 11:09:38 PM »

James and Kirk only wish they could hammer out riffs like Dave Mustaine.

Kayoss, while you and I seem to be on the same page regarding Mr. Rose vs. Everybody, I'll have to disagree with the above statement.

If I may illustrate by parallel once again, comparing Megadeth to Metallica is like comparing Ronnie James Dio to Ozzy Osbourne.

The former, at best, is a sub-par mini-version of the latter.
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #524 on: February 26, 2005, 01:51:16 AM »

If I may illustrate by parallel once again, comparing Megadeth to Metallica is like comparing Ronnie James Dio to Ozzy Osbourne.

I'm not so sure about that.  The System Has Failed was a helluva lot better than St. Anger.
jgfnsr
« Reply #525 on: February 26, 2005, 01:58:53 AM »

I'm not so sure about that.? The System Has Failed was a helluva lot better than St. Anger.

I'm talkin' about the scope of each band's overall career...

no comparison.
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #526 on: February 26, 2005, 11:54:20 AM »

ok,  i understand what everyone is saying, and as i stated before i did not like St. Anger. But i just bought Reload and it think its ok....nothing spectacular. One of my fave metallica albums and all time albums is Master of Puppets.

Now, anyway, i understand what everyone is saying but then what is the answer? If they go back to 80's thrash metal the critics will say they are just copying from their past efforts in an attempt to satisfy fans and try to return to their roots (which is supposedly what they were trying to do with St. Anger, yea right  confused), and if if they continue to take chances with their music and continue to distance themselves from their speed/thrash metal roots, then, possibly critics and definitely hardcore fans will not like it... so whats the answer?? they're screwed both ways.

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

« Reply #527 on: February 26, 2005, 01:16:33 PM »

ok,? i understand what everyone is saying, and as i stated before i did not like St. Anger. But i just bought Reload and it think its ok....nothing spectacular. One of my fave metallica albums and all time albums is Master of Puppets.

Now, anyway, i understand what everyone is saying but then what is the answer? If they go back to 80's thrash metal the critics will say they are just copying from their past efforts in an attempt to satisfy fans and try to return to their roots (which is supposedly what they were trying to do with St. Anger, yea right? confused), and if if they continue to take chances with their music and continue to distance themselves from their speed/thrash metal roots, then, possibly critics and definitely hardcore fans will not like it... so whats the answer?? they're screwed both ways.

The only real answer is to perform the music they want to play.  I think where St. Anger went wrong is that it didn't feel as if their hearts were fully into the music they were playing.  It seemed more like they were just trying to be hip with the current metal scene.
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #528 on: February 26, 2005, 02:13:34 PM »

what?!!? Shocked? ? rofl

You do play the guitar right?

That's What I mean Metallica's riffs are easier to figure it out mean while megadeth are quite tricky! Anaway wha't that supposed to mean??   Undecided

No man can be my equal
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #529 on: February 26, 2005, 05:29:25 PM »

u guys arent lookin at the criteria, its not best or most influential

bon jovi popularity wise were over GNR of course they released more records so u gotta take that into account as well

bon jovi have sold 100,000,000 records worldwide, contrary to what some say on this board, whether u hate them or whatever, they are one of the greatest selling rock bands ever.

5 number 1 singles, GNR had 1

Bon Jovi still sell out stadiums and arenas wherever they play so going by that criteria im surprised Bon Jovi werent a little higher

Bon Jovi are ahead of Metallica cause worldwide they have more album sales, more top 10 and number 1 singles

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #530 on: February 26, 2005, 08:42:13 PM »

ok,? i understand what everyone is saying, and as i stated before i did not like St. Anger. But i just bought Reload and it think its ok....nothing spectacular. One of my fave metallica albums and all time albums is Master of Puppets.

Now, anyway, i understand what everyone is saying but then what is the answer? If they go back to 80's thrash metal the critics will say they are just copying from their past efforts in an attempt to satisfy fans and try to return to their roots (which is supposedly what they were trying to do with St. Anger, yea right? confused), and if if they continue to take chances with their music and continue to distance themselves from their speed/thrash metal roots, then, possibly critics and definitely hardcore fans will not like it... so whats the answer?? they're screwed both ways.

Fuck the critics - if there next album was a masterpiece of lyrics displaying ability of a remarkable calibre and the riffs where groundbreaking they would pan it.

Release the music they are GOOD at. They can't do pop. They can't do orchestra stuff. They CAN do thrash metal that's better and more mature than most bands (except Megadeth who kick their ass Cheesy).

They should just do what they do best, if they churn out a album of MOP quality i don't think there will be many fans complaining - sod the critics, they only like Coldplay anyway.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

« Reply #531 on: February 26, 2005, 10:53:55 PM »

Release the music they are GOOD at. They can't do pop. They can't do orchestra stuff. They CAN do thrash metal that's better and more mature than most bands (except Megadeth who kick their ass Cheesy).

They can also do really good bluesy hard rock, as far as I'm concerned.  Load was a great album, and the Garage, Inc covers of "Tuesday's Gone", "Turn The Page", and "Whiskey in the Jar" all rank among my favourite Metallica recordings.
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #532 on: February 27, 2005, 12:12:36 AM »

I'm not so sure about that.? The System Has Failed was a helluva lot better than St. Anger.

I'm talkin' about the scope of each band's overall career...

no comparison.

It's easy to draw the conclusion that Metallica are better musicians when comparing them to Megadeth as far as numbers only but there's alot more to it than that.? Sure Metallica out-sold Megadeth in album sales and whatnot - they had the name that was well established and were well on their way by the time Dave got Megadeth together.? But looking at them musically - Dave's riffs are much more complex and his solos are far superior to James' and Kirk's.? He wrote alot of Metallica's early material that they used to get started and wrote the majority of Megadeth's music from beginning to end.? If he had stayed with Metallica there's no telling how much better they'd be...especially these days.

And I agree - "The System Has Failed" is a much better album than "St Anger" could've ever been - but the "Mighty Metallica" have that name-sake and could release an album with nothing but static on it and it would still sell strongly so you can't even begin to compare them musically by looking at album sales.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2005, 12:17:25 AM by Kayoss » Logged

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #533 on: February 27, 2005, 03:02:12 AM »

Metallica is the mad notez YO! hihi hihi

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Metallifuck
Rocker

R.I.P. Dimebag 1966-2004

« Reply #534 on: February 28, 2005, 11:00:25 AM »

St. Anger is a joke compared to their old albums, but it is rediculous when people say: 'Metallica sold out and went soft by making Load'.

In my opinion Load is better music then TBA. TBA just doesn't sound right, if they wanted to do metal then they should have done another album like AJFA (which rules) but obviously with better production.

Also, S&M and Garage inc. are pretty good.

I personally think that the only time in their career when they went down hill was 2001>, although they are still good live and have mentally composed themselves as people but St. Anger was obviously a disapointment!

Bow to the Tempo of the Damned!
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

« Reply #535 on: March 12, 2005, 02:26:14 PM »

Looking around the internet, I see tabs and MP3s for a version of the Star Wars "Imperial March" as performed by Metallica.  Does anyone know about this?  The thing is, I downloaded it and it doesn't really sound like a Metallica song.  The song is mainly this cheap midi-sounding keyboard with a bit of heavy metal riffing around the very edge.  Simply put, it's not fast or heavy enough for 80s Metallica, and it's too generic-80s sounding for 90s Metallica.  So can anyone shed some light on this track for me?
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #536 on: March 12, 2005, 02:33:01 PM »

Have you heard Bucketheads version? It could be that.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

« Reply #537 on: March 13, 2005, 01:18:27 PM »

No, I think Buckethead's version is the main Star Wars theme, not the Imperial March.  Besides, the version of the Imperial March that I heard doesn't have enough guitar to be by Buckethead.  The only guitar that you can hear are these heavy riffs, which I suppose is one of the reasons why people say it's by Metallica.  But I don't know, it's more keyboard-dominated than anything Metallica has done.
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #538 on: May 17, 2005, 12:58:11 PM »

METALLICA guitarist Kirk Hammett is featured on guitar legend Carlos Santana's new album, entitled "All That I Am", which is due for release on September 13. Kirk provides guitar parts in one of the songs on the album, which also includes various other artists collaborating on other songs.

Kirk has previously worked with Carlos in 2001 at a live show benefit in San Francisco. Carlos was also invited into the HQ studio in 2002 while the band were recording "St. Anger".

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
campos
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #539 on: May 17, 2005, 05:56:22 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 137 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: