Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 05, 2024, 06:07:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228153 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Metallica thread
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 137 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Metallica thread  (Read 462373 times)
Stokesy
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #400 on: February 19, 2005, 02:35:41 PM »

I saw them four times on the last tour and I only 3 songs off of St Anger so either they don't like it or they realise that their fans arn't too keen on it.

To be honest I don't really have high hopes for the new album since I'm not a big fan of anything post TBA.  Hope I'm wrong though.

Dead N' Bloated
Legend

Too many times to make it home.

« Reply #401 on: February 19, 2005, 09:45:02 PM »

When St Anger came out I bought it automatically because it was Metallica.? When the new album comes out I will wait for some reliable reviews before even considering getting it.

Metallex78 - no disrespect but it doesn't matter what your opinion is on St Anger - it sucks and that's a fact.

It was the most original album that Metallica has ever released i think. I dont know why people dont like it i think its fuckin awesome, one of my favourites. What is it that dont apeal to people?

peace

10/06/07 Perth
13/06/07 ADL
15/06/07 MELB
16/06/07 MELB
19/06/07 BRIS
20/06/07 BRIS
23/06/07 SYD
24/06/07 SYD
04/12/10 SYD
12/03/13 SYD
13/03/13 NEWCASTLE
20/03/13 BRIS
...and then some
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #402 on: February 19, 2005, 09:55:18 PM »

When St Anger came out I bought it automatically because it was Metallica.? When the new album comes out I will wait for some reliable reviews before even considering getting it.

Metallex78 - no disrespect but it doesn't matter what your opinion is on St Anger - it sucks and that's a fact.

It was the most original album that Metallica has ever released i think. I dont know why people dont like it i think its fuckin awesome, one of my favourites. What is it that dont apeal to people?

peace
The lack of guitar solo's, the blandness of most of the songs, lyrics that sound like the band is going backwards rather than forwards, they are so unimaginative, simple and a 12 year old could come up with way better lyrics.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #403 on: February 20, 2005, 07:54:08 AM »

The thing about Load and Reload is while they are not awful albums, they are awful Metallic albums. Its the same as if GNR were to release a gospel album, if Load/Reload were by another band then they might be okay but we listen to Metallica because we like that style, radically changing that just won't work.

If we wanted a softer commericial rock album we wouldn't go to looking at albums by thrash metal bands.

A band has a duty to evolve its sound to keep intresting - but it can only go so far within certain boundaries, for instance, the Black album is as far as a thrash metal act can realistically go.

If they wish to do an entirely new thing they should form a new band

Soft pop rock is not what we want from Metallica and will obviously contrast badly with what came before.

With St Anger, i'm not even sure thats a style - just bland and uninspired rubbish. Music is subjective but when the vast majority of Metallica fans hate it - well, there has to be something going on.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #404 on: February 20, 2005, 11:22:15 AM »

I was referring to the part about "great riffs" and "the fans loving it".

Well I call myself a Metallica fan and I love St. Anger and hold it in high regard right alongside Master of Puppets and the Black album, and I think it has great riffs too.

That's great. Just because no one else, anywhere, agrees doesn't mean ur wrong Smiley

Anyway, I could care less about arguing whether Metallica are as heavy or are making music like they made in the past.

U have no intrest in Metallica making good music like they used to...in the past?

They've always been a great band, and to me that hasn't changed over the years, regardless of their different musical styles they've explored on various albums (Load, Reload etc).

Load and Reload wasn't a style - it was a desperate attempt to go mainstream and make more money - but they can't even make pop tunes anymore

I personally don't give a damn about Metallica anymore - 14 years of shite music, they are a musical relic. Unless this new album is fantastic i'll give it a miss - Load, Reload, garage inc, s&m and st anger - thats a huge amount of money i've wasted on them.

ITS been 14 years of PAIN. lol even GNR agree

html sucks
Dead N' Bloated
Legend

« Reply #405 on: February 20, 2005, 08:43:50 PM »

peace
The lack of guitar solo's, the blandness of most of the songs, lyrics that sound like the band is going backwards rather than forwards, they are so unimaginative, simple and a 12 year old could come up with way better lyrics.

Ok the lack of solos was a mistake, but the album is so full of emotion N' energy. Its one of the few albums that gets me pumped its just so aggresive. Did u see some kind of monster did u hear the other songs that didnt make the album?

10/06/07 Perth
13/06/07 ADL
15/06/07 MELB
16/06/07 MELB
19/06/07 BRIS
20/06/07 BRIS
23/06/07 SYD
24/06/07 SYD
04/12/10 SYD
12/03/13 SYD
13/03/13 NEWCASTLE
20/03/13 BRIS
...and then some
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #406 on: February 21, 2005, 10:26:59 AM »

Say what you want about GN'R, Axl Rose, or Metallica vs. GN'R, but at least Axl Rose doesn't have "St. Anger" in his legacy. "St. Anger" has got to be, hands down, the WORST album of all-time. Boy does that one suck the big fat moose cock.

St. Anger is bad, IMHO..no doubt about it.? But the worst album ever??

I think THAT title belongs to anything (and everything) ever recorded by William Shatner (yes, Capt Kirk).? Picking the worst of them would be the hard part....

Though I do have to say...having hear Leonard Nimoy's albums (and especially "The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins"...he gives ole' Bill a run for his money.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2005, 10:29:17 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
RichardNixon
« Reply #407 on: February 21, 2005, 10:44:27 AM »

Say what you want about GN'R, Axl Rose, or Metallica vs. GN'R, but at least Axl Rose doesn't have "St. Anger" in his legacy. "St. Anger" has got to be, hands down, the WORST album of all-time. Boy does that one suck the big fat moose cock.

I think THAT title belongs to anything (and everything) ever recorded by William Shatner (yes, Capt Kirk).? Picking the worst of them would be the hard part....

Though I do have to say...having hear Leonard Nimoy's albums (and especially "The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins"...he gives ole' Bill a run for his money.

The William Shatner album was just camp and not really supposed to be good. St. Anger is the worst album that I have ever heard from a major force in rock. Lets Review:

1. The songs have no structure. The album sounds like one big mush and it's hard to tell individual songs apart.
2. The songs have no guitar solos or hooks.
3. The band sounds disjointed, as though everyone is playing a different song.
4. The lyrics are trite.
5. The band sounds forced, as thought they are trying to sound heavy.
6. Hetfield's vocal delivery is poor and he isn't carrying any of the songs.
7. The drums are hard on the ear to listen to. The constant pounding of the snare gives the listener a headache.
8. The overall production is awful--the album sounds like it was recorded in Oscar the Grouch's trash can.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #408 on: February 21, 2005, 11:43:52 AM »

The William Shatner album was just camp and not really supposed to be good. St. Anger is the worst album that I have ever heard from a major force in rock. Lets Review:

1. The songs have no structure. The album sounds like one big mush and it's hard to tell individual songs apart.
2. The songs have no guitar solos or hooks.
3. The band sounds disjointed, as though everyone is playing a different song.
4. The lyrics are trite.
5. The band sounds forced, as thought they are trying to sound heavy.
6. Hetfield's vocal delivery is poor and he isn't carrying any of the songs.
7. The drums are hard on the ear to listen to. The constant pounding of the snare gives the listener a headache.
8. The overall production is awful--the album sounds like it was recorded in Oscar the Grouch's trash can.

As I said, St. Anger is bad, IMHO.? And maybe it's the worst album issued by a "major force in rock". I could point to some other candidates, I suppose, most of them done by "major forces in rock" as they were spiraling into oblivion, but I"m not really trying to start (or perpetuate) an argument.? peace

I was simply trying to point out, with a bit of levity, that "worst album of all time" might have been a bit of hyperbole.? Especially considering the vast amount of really bad material out there....and there's an awful lot of it.? ?hihi

And Shatner, believe it or not, does not think his stuff is "camp". He is utterly and completely serious about it...which, of course, makes it funny...and, IMHO, makes the album that much "worse".? His sincerity is one of the reasons I view his stuff as "the worst of all time".? Sorta like Don Johnson's "Heartbeat"....

Now, Nimoy...his stuff is campy.? Not a drop of sincerity anywhere on any of his tracks.? But that Bilbo video is disturbing.....like "serial killer/silence of the lambs/stabby mcstabberson/psycho" disturbing.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2005, 11:46:19 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
RichardNixon
« Reply #409 on: February 21, 2005, 12:30:12 PM »

Point taken. Maybe another thread should be started.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #410 on: February 21, 2005, 03:24:09 PM »

On the worst album ever? hihi For me that's System of a down: Toxcity, just annoys me, awful to the ears and some pretensious ''political'' rambling - someone should tell then RATM beat them to it...and did it without sounding like wankers.

St Anger is trite - i'm not even sure i managed to listen to it all the way through twice.....

Quick! To the bandwagon!
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #411 on: February 21, 2005, 07:26:36 PM »

On the worst album ever? hihi For me that's System of a down: Toxcity, just annoys me, awful to the ears and some pretensious ''political'' rambling - someone should tell then RATM beat them to it...and did it without sounding like wankers.

St Anger is trite - i'm not even sure i managed to listen to it all the way through twice.....

That just goes to show what some people consider good music, and what others think suck, because along with St. Anger, I also really like Toxicity.

But it's all apples and oranges really, different strokes for different folks.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
metallex78
Legend

« Reply #412 on: February 21, 2005, 07:33:22 PM »

If u honestly believe Load and Reload are as good as Master of Puppets etc then u have a very low opinion on 80's Metallica. Maybe u just don't like thrash metal?

Or maybe you listen to a wide range of music and can actually like BOTH thrash metal and melodic heavy rock perhaps?

Wow, there's a foreign concept... nervous

Narcissa
Back In Black
Rocker

« Reply #413 on: February 21, 2005, 07:39:34 PM »

Metallica are bringing out a new album ? you mean they didn't DIE OF SHAME after St Anger ?
Dead N' Bloated
Legend

« Reply #414 on: February 21, 2005, 09:02:51 PM »

I love Metal, but Load was my favourite album, along with justice so i think thats why i like st anger because it reminds me of both those albums. But load musically was fuckin awesome ok

peace

10/06/07 Perth
13/06/07 ADL
15/06/07 MELB
16/06/07 MELB
19/06/07 BRIS
20/06/07 BRIS
23/06/07 SYD
24/06/07 SYD
04/12/10 SYD
12/03/13 SYD
13/03/13 NEWCASTLE
20/03/13 BRIS
...and then some
metallex78
Legend

« Reply #415 on: February 21, 2005, 11:11:32 PM »

I love Metal, but Load was my favourite album, along with justice so i think thats why i like st anger because it reminds me of both those albums. But load musically was fuckin awesome ok

peace

Yeah, Load was great. Bleeding Me & Outlaw Torn are two of my favourite Metallica songs.
I also think that Load features James best vocal work

Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #416 on: February 22, 2005, 01:07:10 AM »

If Load and Reload's best songs were combined without the filler and it was released as a solo project, it would be ok; not great, but ok. But there's nothing metal about those two albums at all. They have some decent hard rock songs, but they just don't even come close to what Metallica did in the 80's.

The Black Album was overproduced. Bob Rock killed Metallica the same way he killed Motley Crue. Commercialization. Some songs like Holier than Thou and Of Wolf And Man could be sped up and "thrashified", I admit, but too many of them are simply musical abortions, like Nothing Else Matters. One and Fade to Black are metal ballads. NEM is pop trite. I actually hate the black album more than any other Metallica album. The loads were simply hard rock, but the black album was watered down metal for MTV. Load and Reload were experiments (Load more than Reload, which had more filler, but still some good songs like Fixxxer). Black was a sellout. St. Anger doesn't even count as a Metallica album; it doesn't exist; Metallica is dead; long live Metallica!!!!!  beer

And Justice is still the best record they ever did. Heaviest production, too.
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #417 on: February 22, 2005, 02:08:43 AM »

I looked back several pages and couldn't find any mention of this in a thread, so I thought I might as well mention it.  Has anybody seen the deleted scenes on Metallica's "Some Kind of Monster" DVD?  There's this bit where James is sitting in a chair, and he puts a salad bowl on his head.  Then he acts as if he's being zapped in an electric chair, and goes "Welcome to the jungle, baby!" in this really high screechy voice.  I thought it was pretty funny...
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #418 on: February 22, 2005, 02:18:57 AM »

Yep. It was funny! And he also says "yer gunna die" in that same segment I believe? Pretty funny , great great movie!

I think had metallica broken up and Axl needed a drummer he and lars coulda made a great team.

*ducks for cover*  nervous

Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #419 on: February 22, 2005, 02:21:45 AM »

The thing about Load and Reload is while they are not awful albums, they are awful Metallic albums. Its the same as if GNR were to release a gospel album, if Load/Reload were by another band then they might be okay but we listen to Metallica because we like that style, radically changing that just won't work.

If we wanted a softer commericial rock album we wouldn't go to looking at albums by thrash metal bands.

A band has a duty to evolve its sound to keep intresting - but it can only go so far within certain boundaries, for instance, the Black album is as far as a thrash metal act can realistically go.

If they wish to do an entirely new thing they should form a new band

Soft pop rock is not what we want from Metallica and will obviously contrast badly with what came before.

Who cares if it fits in with their previous style?  What you're asking an artist to do is to restrict their creativity.  If Metallica wants to write a country ballad or a bluesy lament, why should we stop them?  Just because you want them to work within a thrash metal format, it doesn't mean they should do that.  Music is completely subjective, and when you hear a song like "Mama Said" and think, "My god, that is the worst Metallica song ever", somebody who's into softer music and never liked Metallica might hear it and go, "Wow, is that METALLICA?  That song is better than any of that crap they've done before!"  One man's garbage is another man's treasure.  I personally think that Load is the most underrated album ever.

The Black Album was overproduced. Bob Rock killed Metallica the same way he killed Motley Crue. Commercialization.

How did Bob Rock kill Motley Crue with commercialization?  The Crue were never a particularly heavy band to begin with, and they had already been steadily making their sound slicker over the course of the 80s.  Dr. Feelgood is a great commercial hard rock album that's easily as good as, say, Theatre of Pain.

And Justice is still the best record they ever did. Heaviest production, too.

Heaviest production, eh?  A little bass on the songs might have been nice.  Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 137 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: