Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 05, 2024, 06:59:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228153 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Metallica thread
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 137 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Metallica thread  (Read 462403 times)
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #380 on: February 18, 2005, 08:53:55 AM »

I was referring to the part about "great riffs" and "the fans loving it".

Well I call myself a Metallica fan and I love St. Anger and hold it in high regard right alongside Master of Puppets and the Black album, and I think it has great riffs too.

Anyway, I could care less about arguing whether Metallica are as heavy or are making music like they made in the past.
They've always been a great band, and to me that hasn't changed over the years, regardless of their different musical styles they've explored on various albums (Load, Reload etc).

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #381 on: February 18, 2005, 11:23:14 AM »

Well I call myself a Metallica fan and I love St. Anger and hold it in high regard right alongside Master of Puppets and the Black album, and I think it has great riffs too.

Wow, you're really clever; "You loved St. Anger => you are a fan => most fans loved St. Anger"?... Hey, some people might eat shit, but it doesn't mean it's a beloved pastime activity.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #382 on: February 18, 2005, 11:26:00 AM »

That's great. Just because no one else, anywhere, agrees doesn't mean ur wrong Smiley

Anyway, I could care less about arguing whether Metallica are as heavy or are making music like they made in the past.

U have no intrest in Metallica making good music like they used to...in the past?

They've always been a great band, and to me that hasn't changed over the years, regardless of their different musical styles they've explored on various albums (Load, Reload etc).

Load and Reload wasn't a style - it was a desperate attempt to go mainstream and make more money - but they can't even make pop tunes anymore

I personally don't give a damn about Metallica anymore - 14 years of shite music, they are a musical relic. Unless this new album is fantastic i'll give it a miss - Load, Reload, garage inc, s&m and st anger - thats a huge amount of money i've wasted on them.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Metallifuck
Rocker

R.I.P. Dimebag 1966-2004

« Reply #383 on: February 18, 2005, 12:34:34 PM »

That's great. Just because no one else, anywhere, agrees doesn't mean ur wrong Smiley

U have no intrest in Metallica making good music like they used to...in the past?

Load and Reload wasn't a style - it was a desperate attempt to go mainstream and make more money - but they can't even make pop tunes anymore

I personally don't give a damn about Metallica anymore - 14 years of shite music, they are a musical relic. Unless this new album is fantastic i'll give it a miss - Load, Reload, garage inc, s&m and st anger - thats a huge amount of money i've wasted on them.

You'll still buy it  yes

Bow to the Tempo of the Damned!
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #384 on: February 18, 2005, 02:25:22 PM »

When St Anger came out I bought it automatically because it was Metallica.  When the new album comes out I will wait for some reliable reviews before even considering getting it.

Metallex78 - no disrespect but it doesn't matter what your opinion is on St Anger - it sucks and that's a fact.

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #385 on: February 18, 2005, 02:49:59 PM »

When St Anger came out I bought it automatically because it was Metallica.? When the new album comes out I will wait for some reliable reviews before even considering getting it.

what is sad and scary is that St. Anger did fairly well critically....
i tried to like it, i really did, but the only bearable songs are Frantic and St. Anger and even they arent that great.....the rest of the songs just are not remotely catchy, the production is terrible, and the songs are way too repetitive. I believe if they spent more time developing the songs, and put in some scorching guitar solos, as well as fixed up the pruduction, it would be decent.

I LOVE all the 80's stuff including the Black Album. My fave is probably Master Of Puppets
I have not bought load or reload or garge inc. although i have heard some of S & M and i think its ok, that new song "No Leaf Clover" is ok.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 02:53:14 PM by GnFnR87 » Logged

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
RichardNixon
« Reply #386 on: February 18, 2005, 02:55:17 PM »

Say what you want about GN'R, Axl Rose, or Metallica vs. GN'R, but at least Axl Rose doesn't have "St. Anger" in his legacy. "St. Anger" has got to be, hands down, the WORST album of all-time. Boy does that one suck the big fat moose cock.
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #387 on: February 18, 2005, 03:06:20 PM »

Jeez, "heavy" just means good in metal terms! Korn is juvenile and Power Quest is a heavier band. You heard me. Heavy does not mean ridiculously down tuned guitars, non existant production, and trash can drums!

Metallica hasn't been good in over 15 years now. They sold out in 1991 and they haven't been the same since.
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #388 on: February 18, 2005, 03:24:17 PM »

I liked St.Anger along with all the other Bob Rock Produced album to an degree .

I think the best thing they can do is to stop working with Bob Rock their stuff has really went downhill since he started producing their albums.

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #389 on: February 18, 2005, 03:45:48 PM »

I don't care what anybody says, Load is my second favourite Metallica album after Master of Puppets.  Look, as much as I love 80s Metallica, I think that people who say they "sold out" after 1991 are being shortsighted.  They put out lots of great songs in the 90s, and besides, it's not like all their 80s records were masterpieces.  ...And Justice For All seems made up of half filler, and has legendarily poor production.  Load, on the other hand, has interesting genre experiments like "Mama Said", and has catchier hooks than most of Metallica's back catalogue.  "Hero of the Day" is simply my all-time favourite Metallica song.  Who cares if they aren't playing thrash metal anymore as long as they're still making good songs?

If you ask me, the whole problem with St. Anger stems from the band paying too much attention to those fans who claim they "sold out" and wanted a return to the heavier days of yore.  They should have kept going with their more "rock" direction rather than trying to become a nu-metal band.
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #390 on: February 18, 2005, 04:26:32 PM »

...And Justice For All seems made up of half filler

Hmm, what songs do you mean? The Shortest Straw is the only one that comes to mind.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Metallifuck
Rocker

R.I.P. Dimebag 1966-2004

« Reply #391 on: February 18, 2005, 05:07:22 PM »

Metallica hasn't been good in over 15 years now. They sold out in 1991 and they haven't been the same since.

Oh my God. Sweet Jesus of Nazareth. People like you make me sick, you think just because (in your opinion) the black album was 'selling out' that they automatically blew. Who gives a shiny shit if they began to make videos? yes

How the hell can you say they haven't been good for over 15 years? Oh yeah, because they're multiple-million $ massive sell-out tours 'sucked' and S & M etc. was totally cheese!

Roll Eyes

Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #392 on: February 18, 2005, 06:42:41 PM »

it's not like all their 80s records were masterpieces.?

Well actually..... Tongue

Master of Puppets is universally regarded as one of metal's finest moments.

i]...And Justice For All[/i] seems made up of half filler, and has legendarily poor production.

Agreed. It is a weak album for me and the production is at the heart of my opinion, its just not ''heavy'' enough, the bass is too quiet - it just lacks that kick. Megadeth's 'Rust in Peace' had a similiar problem - Mustaine's new mix of that album is fantastic, i think AJFA just needs that to. I think Ride the Lightning has a similiar problem but the variety of the songs compensates.

Metallica really needed a better producer for those albums - Bob Rock's work on Black is great - though what happened afterwards confused
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 06:45:06 PM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
KeVoRkIaN
VIP

Resident Doctor

« Reply #393 on: February 18, 2005, 06:48:01 PM »

People want to hear the old songs that's why - I was a huge Metallica fan - they just blow goat now, and tickets sales are directly correated to the mundane  musicianship that appeals to the crowd.  Nirvana and GNR struck a chord with a generation, Metallica isn't doing that now - they are riding on nostalgia of a time when they were really cutting edge.  Talented musicians with a blurred vision.  I hate saying it but the integrity is lost, the One video I understood - it was supposed to be their only video, which made it exciting.  Then Metallica Inc. surfaced and it just became stupid.  Justice to Black album looked like they collectively got hit by a piano falling on their heads and emerged as musical accountants.

NEW MEMBERS: CLICK ON THIS PAGE! http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Starts Now is An Understatement!!!!!!
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #394 on: February 18, 2005, 06:51:48 PM »

Oh my God. Sweet Jesus of Nazareth. People like you make me sick, you think just because (in your opinion) the black album was 'selling out' that they automatically blew. Who gives a shiny shit if they began to make videos? yes

Whether u agree or disagree 'Black' was an attempt to go more commercial - they wanted to make more money and sell more albums. That's a fact, that can be accuratley viewed as selling out.

Now i think Black is wonderful, but they went to far with later offerings.

How the hell can you say they haven't been good for over 15 years? Oh yeah, because they're multiple-million $ massive sell-out tours 'sucked' and S & M etc. was totally cheese!

Roll Eyes

The amount of money a band makes does not equal quality - neither does album sales, ticket sales etc etc. That just shows they have been well promoted.

If u honestly believe Load and Reload are as good as Master of Puppets etc then u have a very low opinion on 80's Metallica. Maybe u just don't like thrash metal?

And S&M was odd at best.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #395 on: February 18, 2005, 07:25:05 PM »

If you can generalize about "all fans hating it", then I guess me stating that I'm a fan and I like the album disproves your point. And I happen to know plenty of people that are also fans that like the album.

But I'm not interested in arguing with people who complain about Metallica having "sold out" because of exploring different musical styles or exprimenting on different albums.

And isn't music subject to the listener anyway?
Just because one person likes it and another doesn't, doesn't mean it's a fact that the music is crap.

This is starting to sound like a VR vs GN'R thread... confused
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 11:37:54 PM by metallex78 » Logged

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #396 on: February 18, 2005, 11:00:04 PM »

There are no facts about music being 'good' or 'bad', just different views, the only way to even try to tell theoretically is record sales, but most of us here know the music that sells lots isn't always to our taste.  Some people like St. Anger that's a fact, you can argue all you want for why it's good or bad but nobody is wrong or right.  I'd say though it sucks.  As for the 'new' album i won't go out and buy it straight away like i did last time, i'll download the bastard and if it's good hell i'll buy it....i won't hold by breath though.
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

« Reply #397 on: February 19, 2005, 01:55:35 AM »

it's not like all their 80s records were masterpieces.?

Well actually..... Tongue

Master of Puppets is universally regarded as one of metal's finest moments.

Yeah, and I agree.  Puppets is my favourite Metallica album.  I just said that not ALL their 80s records were masterpieces.  Maybe I should have been more specific.  I was referring mainly to Justice.

...And Justice For All seems made up of half filler

Hmm, what songs do you mean? The Shortest Straw is the only one that comes to mind.

Keep in mind that this is just my opinion.  But I think that while the first four songs on Justice were fine (especially "One", which is one of Metallica's best), the rest of the album turned into a faceless wall of riffs, although "Harvester of Sorrow" is pretty cool, as is the intro (but only the intro) to "The Frayed Ends of Sanity".  But "Shortest Straw" and "Dyer's Eve" are both long boring thrashers with no hooks whatsoever, while "To Live Is To Die" is easily the worst Metallica instrumental ever, which sucks because their instrumentals on the other albums were pretty good.
Metallifuck
Rocker

R.I.P. Dimebag 1966-2004

« Reply #398 on: February 19, 2005, 05:55:22 AM »

Whether u agree or disagree 'Black' was an attempt to go more commercial - they wanted to make more money and sell more albums. That's a fact, that can be accuratley viewed as selling out.

Now i think Black is wonderful, but they went to far with later offerings.

Roll Eyes

The amount of money a band makes does not equal quality - neither does album sales, ticket sales etc etc. That just shows they have been well promoted.

If u honestly believe Load and Reload are as good as Master of Puppets etc then u have a very low opinion on 80's Metallica. Maybe u just don't like thrash metal?

And S&M was odd at best.

I didn't really like Load and Re-Load much, but S & M and maybe Garage inc. were the best things from them in the post 1994 era. Also, James' vocals was probably at its best then.  Then they went down hill!

The problem was that they gambled into the commercial scene with the black album and it was a massive success, but, they tried the same with L & R-L and failed.

Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

« Reply #399 on: February 19, 2005, 02:28:48 PM »

The problem was that they gambled into the commercial scene with the black album and it was a massive success, but, they tried the same with L & R-L and failed.

Well, I haven't heard Reload, but I think Load was a great commercial hard rock album.  It showed a lot of growth in their songwriting.

I think I've realized the main reason why those albums aren't so popular, though.  A long time ago I was talking to a buddy of mine about Metallica, and how it was so cool that on Load they experimented with blues riffs and even did a country ballad at one point.  Then he said, "Yeah, but...do you think fans of METALLICA really like country?"  I guess that should have been obvious to me.  Still, even though a lot of people don't like the band for doing stuff like that, I do.  I think it makes them a more interesting band than if they'd just stuck to outright heavy metal.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 137 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: