Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2024, 12:35:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228144 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Tommy to return to Soul Asylum after the Europe tour. CONFIRMED
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tommy to return to Soul Asylum after the Europe tour. CONFIRMED  (Read 9514 times)
Bono
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2006, 11:01:49 PM »

Tommy is committed to Guns. If there is a conflict, he will play with GnR. Axl indirectly confirmed this on Friday.

Exactly. INDIRECTLY. yet Soul Asylum promotes the fact that Tommy is in their band on their official myspace site and their official site.? It's gonna be interesting. he should play for Soul Asylum. At this point I don't give a shit who's in Guns because it doesn't matter. As long as Axl's singing that's great. But Soul Asylum sounds better now than ever(no disrespect to Karl Mueller) and Tommy seems better fit for them. Plus they're all from Minnesota so it's a natural. Axl could go and get anybody to replace Tommy simple as that. Soul Asylum seems to need him more at this point but who knows. It'll be interesting. Imagine Tommy playing with Soul Asylum on Jay leno while still in Guns.

Or Gnr should drop this shitty opening bands they have and let SA open and tommy can do both shows

FUCKING RIGHTS!!! That woudl've been my dream concert back in 1993-1997 before I became a U2 fan. Soul Asylum opened for them back on the Illusion tour too so there's a bit of history there. That would rule.
Check them out back in 1988

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ERetrIHY7lw&search=Soul%20Asylum

« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 11:12:45 PM by Bono » Logged
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2006, 11:06:02 PM »

I see or hear nothing to suggest that Tommy is entirely committed to Guns, and who could blame him? Is he expected to sit on his ass for 4 years and not look at other options?

Tommy said he was a few months ago.  Roll Eyes

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2006, 11:21:22 PM »

Time to kick Tommy's Ass out of the band.

GNR are rolling so its time to cut these bullshit sideprojects OUT!

Whatever happened to a band being a band?

no solo records, no side projects just being in a fuckin band.

this is a reason i consider this Axl Rose and not Guns N Roses.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2006, 11:22:52 PM »

We've known for some time that Tommy is a member of Guns N' Roses and that he is also a member of Soul Asylum.  What is new here?  Huh
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2006, 11:23:48 PM »

GNR now is so far beyond this it's not even funny.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
parisrocks
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2006, 11:26:55 PM »

Dude Axl pretty much said himself that there were more dates to be announced on the euro tour. So they will be for around the end of july. Which means Tommy wont be playing with Soul Asylum then.

Exactly my point!  he WILL be in K.C., July 29th.  Jesus Christ!
snow white
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2006, 11:37:57 PM »

Exactly. It shouldn't be about ' I don't care who's in the band as long as Axl is there' because then it's not a band, it's a solo act with 'hired guns'. And as much as I still have my doubts about calling the group Guns N Roses, I want to see them as a cohesive band, not a selection of people playing behind Axl.
Hopefully the shows will establish this. And the eventual release of CD definitely will.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2006, 11:44:25 PM »

Ive always hated side projects,solo albums.

Fortus played with all sorts of people, Tommy as well.

I can understand them doing that shit when things werent happening with GNR and Axl was on Hiatus.

Now shit is rolling, its time to put all the curtain jerking yesterday bands away and get ready for the main event.

How can u be a member of two seperate bands?

Didnt Axl get pissed off cause Slash played with other artists?
Now he allows Fortus to play with lame groups and doesnt mind Tommy playing with Has beens?

shit pisses me off.

I

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
snow white
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2006, 11:49:50 PM »

It's one of the main problems with new gnr at the moment - they just don't 'feel' like a real band at the moment.

No album, no official news about an album, and half the band members off doing other things. It's a bit of a mess, and it's hard to imagine that these people all gell and get along when they are together, because we don't hear enough about them being together. And when we do it's often vague- like they don't really know whats going on with the 'band', which just makes it feel more like an Axl solo act, because even the band members don't know whats going on.

Having said that, I think Axl cleared some of it up in the recent innerview by saying the 02 shows were good for the boys to get a feel for new GnR, so hopefully these new shows will be more about promoting new songs etc...though there is the new guitarist...

Bono
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2006, 12:14:09 AM »

Ive always hated side projects,solo albums.

Fortus played with all sorts of people, Tommy as well.

I can understand them doing that shit when things werent happening with GNR and Axl was on Hiatus.

Now shit is rolling, its time to put all the curtain jerking yesterday bands away and get ready for the main event.

How can u be a member of two seperate bands?

Didnt Axl get pissed off cause Slash played with other artists?
Now he allows Fortus to play with lame groups and doesnt mind Tommy playing with Has beens?

shit pisses me off.

I

hahaha! No offence dude but did you really call Soul Asylum "has beens" in the context of a Guns N' Roses discussion? Hello Soul Asylum has more recently released an album than Guns and in fact had to turn away over 3500 fans for the last gig due to te demand. Not to mention the fact that I don't thikn they've ever had a bad review when it comes to their live gigs. Hell most reviews of their live gigs are stellar. Plus the new songs from their forth coming album sound as good if not better than anything they've ever done.? If you're calling Soul Asylum a "has been" band you might want to consider who Axl is playing with.... Tommy, Robin, Richard, and Brain. Not really guys who haev been lighting up the charts lately assuming charts are how you're baseing your "has beens' comment on. Really who at this point is the has been. Axl has way, way, way, more to prove than Soul Asylum. Sorry to go off but don't be spouting off about Soul Asylum if you know shit about them. Also what defines a "Has been"? Record sales or quality muisc. You tell me.

And Snow White it doesn't really matter who is in the band as long as Axl's there. Can any of us honestly see this being the lineup for the next five years or so. There's no way. It's always gonna be a revolving door. I agree with prety much all of what you said though in the post just above this one.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 12:20:34 AM by Bono » Logged
Bono
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2006, 12:17:56 AM »

Time to kick Tommy's Ass out of the band.

GNR are rolling so its time to cut these bullshit sideprojects OUT!

This isn't a band.  Is being a band about haveing members keep quiet and not be allwoed ot speak about "their own" band. Is being a  Band about haveing one guy call all the shots.  Is being a  band about all other members laying low while one guy takes his sweet time decideing what to do next. beinga  abnd is beinga  abnd. It's not run by one guy and this is why Guns N' Roses as we know it now will never be a true band.  As for the guys doing side projects well it's not bullshit. tey are afterall musicians and what do musicians like to do? they like to play music. preferably live in front of a crowd.
snow white
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2006, 12:22:03 AM »

And Snow White it doesn't really matter who is in the band as long as Axl's there. Can any of us honestly see this being the lineup for the next five years or so. There's no way. It's always gonna be a revolving door.

Thats my problem. It's not a band if it's all about Axl, and if he can't get together a band thats going to stick around or act like a band then he needs to drop the name and just be Axl Rose. Which I wouldn't have a problem with...
Bono
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2006, 12:24:57 AM »

And Snow White it doesn't really matter who is in the band as long as Axl's there. Can any of us honestly see this being the lineup for the next five years or so. There's no way. It's always gonna be a revolving door.

Thats my problem. It's not a band if it's all about Axl, and if he can't get together a band thats going to stick around or act like a band then he needs to drop the name and just be Axl Rose. Which I wouldn't have a problem with...

I agree 100%. I actually think this would be better. I don't belive Axl is ever gonna have a true band ever again. he's too controlling. Knowing how he was with the original band, how can any of us ever belive that he's gonna allow a new guy(s) to join and have real input. There's no way. I would much, much, much prefer Axl work with whoever the hell he wants to on any given day and just call it Axl Rose. Much cooler that way.
snow white
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2006, 12:33:24 AM »

I wouldn't say too controlling. Didnt you hear the part in the radio interview where he said Slash and Izzy were having it out over UYI? I always saw it as with the original band Axl was the one who wanted to go onto bigger and better things and the rest were happy with doing drugs and falling off the stage. Or whatever. He was always more driven than the others, and ultimately thats why they went seperate ways, but its not a bad thing.

I get the impression that hes all about a band working as a band, hes just a perfectionist, but i dont see how he could have written better, TWAT, madagascar etc without the rest of the band.
Bono
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2006, 12:42:47 AM »

I wouldn't say too controlling. Didnt you hear the part in the radio interview where he said Slash and Izzy were having it out over UYI? I always saw it as with the original band Axl was the one who wanted to go onto bigger and better things and the rest were happy with doing drugs and falling off the stage. Or whatever. He was always more driven than the others, and ultimately thats why they went seperate ways, but its not a bad thing.

I get the impression that hes all about a band working as a band, hes just a perfectionist, but i dont see how he could have written better, TWAT, madagascar etc without the rest of the band.

I think he's all about a band working as a band as long as they share his vision or don't care. Axl could easily write those songs by himself. he wrote november rain all by himself. The whole orchestra was him on synthezizer.  Sure maybe Buckethead and Robin come up with guitar licks or Brain come up with teh beat but I would be willing to bet it's Axl who has the final say and if he feels it doesn' fit the song it's out where as if say Robin felt that a certain melody was wrong but Axl liked it than it stays. I don't see this band being a Democracy. maybe that's why the album is called chinese democracy. there's no such thing hihi  Again though with the whole Illusion thing you'd just have to take Axl's side of the story. I don't. There was five of them in the original band and the vision seemd to be 4-1 in favor of not doing it Axl's way. To me that says something.  It says it was Axl's way or the highway and I have no doubt in my mind that, that is how this new version of Guns functions. Of course I could be worng.
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2006, 02:59:56 AM »

I think Axl's simply repaying Tommy's loyalty by letting him have the SA gig as an additional means of income... and a damn nice insurance policy if GN'R were to ever fall apart or the old band were to reunite, etc.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.... if anything, it's another avenue for new GN'R to gain exposure (hopefully Tommy will be more willing to "advertise" his GN'R membership once GN'R does its thing this summer)... I really don't think Tommy is going to ditch Guns for SA though... not now.

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
rocky
Rocker

These are the times of my bullshit life!

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2006, 02:08:28 AM »

I hate to keep bringing it up, but this was posted by the admin on the official Tommy Stinson forum.  groups.yahoo.com/group/tommystinsonboard (might have to registar)

Tommy's off doing GNR, doing SA when he can. Someone will fill in on
bass for SA when he's not there.

Its in the reply to the thread called "Tommy song in a movie"

It is exactly what most people have thought was going to happen. 

Skol Vikings
Brody
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2006, 02:18:45 AM »

Tommy fits in with SA much better then he does with GNR.. Just listen to his solo album.. GNR isnt his style.
Poof!
Rocker

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2006, 02:22:39 AM »

So many music fans in one place, yet so many of them are having a hard time understanding that musicians/artists can be involved with several bands, not just one. It's been done before, many times.

It's a band, not a woman.

It's a marriage, yes, but that doesn't mean they can't go swinging Tuesday nights.? peace

And to Brody: "Not his style"? Who the hell is anyone to say what his style is? His style is whatever he decides to play, not what you expect him to play.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 02:26:48 AM by Guns N' Neurosis » Logged
ElNonoPololo
Headliner

Here Today...I guess

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2006, 03:43:07 AM »

I don?t think I get this " Axl was the only hard-worker in the band" argument that has been going round. I mean, all ex-gunners have been more active than the redhead the past decade, by FAR; even IF Chinese Democracy turns out to be a 3-album proyect...Also, I don?t know how being a semi-recluse for a decade is to be "more driven"

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: