Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2024, 10:19:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228522 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Who should replace buckethead?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who should replace buckethead?  (Read 68022 times)
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #140 on: September 18, 2005, 12:12:29 PM »

anyone semi normal that will not have to re do parts
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #141 on: September 18, 2005, 12:18:13 PM »

No one would care that nuno was from extreme, plus that band was pretty big back in the day.?

Well, evryone cared when Cherone joined Van Halen...

Cherone is not Nuno. So I dont see your point? And right now it seems that nuno is play with Perry Farell, so you think Janes fans care? No, they dont.

The Cherone comparison was meant to show historical presedence for Extreme related backlash.

As for Nuno and Farrell, there's been significant discord with a segment of Janes fans. ?Even Farrell's
former bandmates have wondered out loud about his new partnership.

With Axl hopefully striving for current relevence, Nuno just isn't the right guy. ?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #142 on: September 19, 2005, 09:07:54 AM »

No one would care that nuno was from extreme, plus that band was pretty big back in the day.?

Well, evryone cared when Cherone joined Van Halen...

Cherone is not Nuno. So I dont see your point? And right now it seems that nuno is play with Perry Farell, so you think Janes fans care? No, they dont.

The Cherone comparison was meant to show historical presedence for Extreme related backlash.

As for Nuno and Farrell, there's been significant discord with a segment of Janes fans. ?Even Farrell's
former bandmates have wondered out loud about his new partnership.

With Axl hopefully striving for current relevence, Nuno just isn't the right guy. ?

Navarro is one to talk,he is whoring himself out to that rock star inxs show and did that crap on vh1.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Megaguns
« Reply #143 on: September 19, 2005, 09:13:18 AM »

Hands down, Marty Friedman should replace buckethead, I know that he played with dave cumstaine in Megadeth for a long time but he was very very good and could take newgnr in a whole new awesome direction.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #144 on: September 19, 2005, 09:23:12 AM »

Navarro is one to talk,he is whoring himself out to that rock star inxs show and did that crap on vh1.

Typical reactionary behavior again, attacking someone's else's opinion just because it doesn't coincide with yours.

How predictable.

Maybe you can edit your post after the fact to reflect otherwise...again. rofl

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #145 on: September 19, 2005, 08:22:17 PM »

Typical reactionary behavior again, attacking someone's else's opinion just because it doesn't coincide with yours.

How predictable.

Oh so then why are some members of janes questioning Perrys choice of a guitar player?

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #146 on: September 19, 2005, 09:04:19 PM »

How predictable.

Oh so then why are some members of janes questioning Perrys choice of a guitar player?

Too much of an schlock rock stigma, a soft image and not exactly a player a distinctive sound, tone or style. 

Beyond that, outside of his days in Extreme he lacks a musical identity.

One more thing, why the change from John 5 (who's actually cool) to the obsession with Bettencourt?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #147 on: September 19, 2005, 11:21:44 PM »

How predictable.

Too much of an schlock rock stigma, a soft image and not exactly a player a distinctive sound, tone or style.?

Beyond that, outside of his days in Extreme he lacks a musical identity.

One more thing, why the change from John 5 (who's actually cool) to the obsession with Bettencourt?

If you really think Nuno outside extreme lacks musical identity then you really have no clue what  you are talking about. Nuno is always talked about with the likes of satch, vai and malstreem. As for switching from John 5 to Nuno isnt John 5 in APC or is that over now and has Maynard gone back with Tool?

Nuno is better than John5 btw.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #148 on: September 20, 2005, 09:04:06 AM »

If you really think Nuno outside extreme lacks musical identity then you really have no clue what? you are talking about.

Name one project of note Nuno has done post Extreme, one thing that would separtate him in the music listening publics mind from his prior band.

I tend to be very clued in.. yes

Nuno is always talked about with the likes of satch, vai and malstreem.

So?? Notice have how none of those guys have done a damn thing noteworthy within the confines of a group dynamic in like 15 years??

As for switching from John 5 to Nuno isnt John 5 in APC or is that over now and has Maynard gone back with Tool?

I believe you're thinking of Geordie White, aka Twiggy Ramirez..

Maybe for a guy who thinks Coldplay "rocks" and Jordis should have been taken over for Scott Weiland in VR, but not for anyone who's hoping Axl can be a force on todays music scene.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Slipdisc
VIP

~Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur~

« Reply #149 on: September 20, 2005, 11:11:04 AM »

how can u even compare ron thal's cds to nuno's. not even virtuosos like his shit. he is just so out there that i doubt anyone gets it.

Believe whatever little thing you?ve got going there, but Thal is by far the greater songwriter and credited for it. He makes fantastically creative compositions with some of the best arrangements I?ve ever heard. The man has made some absolutely mind-boggling solo albums and is one of greatest producers in recent years (he works with practically everybody)? He?s one of the most accomplished ?young? guitar players out there and other virtuoso?s are all over his stuff, they love it. Nuno has a-b-s-o-l-u-t-e-l-y nothing on the man?

and even if u do, believe me u'r not the majoraty here.

Neither are you, but at least I?ve seen enough good guitar players for not having to rely on a strange mix of chauvinism and uneducated guessing to justify my statements. It?s great of you to admit that you don?t get Thal?s work, however such a statement usually is indicative of the time you spend listening to his stuff (and less for my taste in music, like you seem to imply). I, and many others with me, think that Thal?s work isn?t out there at all.

schizophonic is a great cd, and yes, Nuno is just as good as BH.

It?s a good CD, but nothing to fancy compared to Colma, Population Override, Electric Tears, Monsters & Robots, Hands etc??

Bettencourt?s greatest successes have been in his Extreme in days, it?s not his solo work (say what you want, but it?s simply the case). His solo work is interesting because of his boogie/funky approach to guitarmusic and the adding of Arabic and Slavic style modalities and some pretty impressive technical abilities. It?s all good and nice, but not enough to cut the umbilical cord with Extreme. Furthermore, the guy is 3 years older then Buck or Thal, but if you put their discographies next to each other it really doesn?t show. At least not enough to be rightfully compared to the people who are currently setting the tone in instrumental genre.

It?s a commonly known fact that Bettencourt uses A LOT of licks and chops from others (Malmsteen?s and Vai?s in particular) and that?s really not the stuff pioneers are made of, I?m sorry. Consequently his chops are just not up to par with what Buckethead or Thal are doing (since they really explore new possibilities). Bettencourt?s songwriting is much more one-dimensional, where Buckethead and Thal play many (if not all) styles and try to build bridges between all possible kinds of genres, being fresh innovative and true pioneers, taking the game to the next level.

Surely Buckethead and Thal are heavily influenced by some of their hero?s, but there are worlds between being influenced and down right copying.

has awsome tunes, and he would seem a lot less weird then the guy with a bucket and a white mask. bh seems like he came from a star wars convention ( don't get me wrong i love the guy, in and out of gn'r) but nuno is much more of a rock n roll kinda a guy. BH is not rock n roll.

Who are you to say that Buckethead isn?t Rock n? Roll? Bucket, white mask, star wars convention (??), are these the arguments you have to support such a bold statement? I?m sorry but that?s just laughable. This is a perfect example of the stereotypical mindset that is typical for some people on this board, which has noting to do with being Rock-minded as far as I?m concerned. Talking about ?real rockers? with hairstyles and clothes as main focal points, where it should be music. It?s all Greek to me?

Rock is and has always been the genre of the outcast, originating from those who dared to be different. Buckethead is a perfect example of just that (both in music as in appearance). It?s a blessing that the Rock-fans of the past were more tolerant then some of their current counterparts.

so people can evolve into something different. and judging nuno's work, i guess it's the same situation.

Sure people can evolve. I just think that Nuno hasn?t evolved enough to shake off his Extreme stigma. Furthermore, Nuno is known for being a perfectionist of almost absurd proportions. I don?t know if I should start to characterize Axl here?but I have a feeling that most people can do the math on why especially a guy like Nuno would mean trouble for Axl. Axl needs one-take-wonders like Buckethead. Or a band member who can assist him in taking on the studio work like Thal. Axl doesn?t need a guy who is even more insecure about what he?s doing then Axl himself?

-PEACE-

A big part of the reason why that is happening is because he ripping of their licks and chops, it?s really no well kept secret. He does it tastefully, but nonetheless?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 12:24:26 PM by Slipdisc » Logged

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #150 on: September 22, 2005, 12:29:00 PM »

Who are you to say that Buckethead isn?t Rock n? Roll? Bucket, white mask, star wars convention (??), are these the arguments you have to support such a bold statement? I?m sorry but that?s just laughable. This is a perfect example of the stereotypical mindset that is typical for some people on this board, which has noting to do with being Rock-minded as far as I?m concerned. Talking about ?real rockers? with hairstyles and clothes as main focal points, where it should be music. It?s all Greek to me?

Rock is and has always been the genre of the outcast, originating from those who dared to be different. Buckethead is a perfect example of just that (both in music as in appearance). It?s a blessing that the Rock-fans of the past were more tolerant then some of their current counterparts.
amen to that.

You should write this on the main board and try to wake up some people.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #151 on: September 24, 2005, 08:05:34 PM »

If you really think Nuno outside extreme lacks musical identity then you really have no clue what? you are talking about.

Name one project of note Nuno has done post Extreme, one thing that would separtate him in the music listening publics mind from his prior band.

I tend to be very clued in.. yes

So?? Notice have how none of those guys have done a damn thing noteworthy within the confines of a group dynamic in like 15 years??

As for switching from John 5 to Nuno isnt John 5 in APC or is that over now and has Maynard gone back with Tool?

I believe you're thinking of Geordie White, aka Twiggy Ramirez..

Maybe for a guy who thinks Coldplay "rocks" and Jordis should have been taken over for Scott Weiland in VR, but not for anyone who's hoping Axl can be a force on todays music scene.

Nuno has toured the world with his solo bands who cares if the causal music person does not know who is he outside of extreme. I bet most people if you ask who nuno bettencourt is would not even know him from extreme. Even if they do they do what does that matter? Your problem is you are all worried about what former bands people were in and not how talented they are.  Has the new gnr been hurt because Fortus was on an N Synch album? No, I dont think so.

Nuno has been in groups and if you were clued in then you would have a clue. Also Buckethead over the past years does not do much in the confinds of a group either save guns n roses and the few times he played with Primus. So what is your point?

As for me thinking cold play rocks. Yes i think cold play are great, so what is your point? As for saying Jordis should take over for Scott you really need to learn the word sarcasm. You claim you are so clued in but you seem so clueless.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #152 on: September 24, 2005, 08:49:41 PM »

I bet most people if you ask who nuno bettencourt is would not even know him from extreme.

That's insanity.? He is first and foremost known for his involvement in Extreme.

It's inarguable.?

Even if they do they do what does that matter?

It's a perception thing, the same stigma Cherone and VH faced.

Again, inarguable.
Has the new gnr been hurt because Fortus was on an N Synch album? No, I dont think so.

I believe I covered the Fortus issue earlier in this thread.

Nuno has been in groups and if you were clued in then you would have a clue. Also Buckethead over ... ..So what is your point?

My point is Nuno has zero identity to todays music fan outside of Extreme.? I believe I made that perfectly clear.

As for me thinking cold play rocks. Yes i think cold play are great, so what is your point?

Point being, with your taste in music it doesn't surprise me one iota that you'd think Nuno would be a good fit for GNR.

As for saying Jordis should take over for Scott you really need to learn the word sarcasm.

Since any kind of sarcasm or wit is normally void in your posts, I tend to think your original post was either serious or just a plea for attention coming in the form of an outlandish statement merely to incite argument.

You wouldn't do that would you??

The above question was obviously said in a sarcastic tone...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

MichelleAK3
Headliner

« Reply #153 on: October 13, 2005, 05:51:07 PM »

nobody

"I hope you're proud of yourself for the times you've said 'yes,' when all it meant was extra work for you and was seemingly helpful only to somebody else."

From The World According to Mister Roger
BabyGorilla
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #154 on: October 21, 2005, 08:51:31 PM »

Marco Sfogli.
Deez Nuts
Rocker

Village Gorilla Neck

« Reply #155 on: October 31, 2005, 05:54:38 PM »

There's a 0% chance of it happening, but I'd like to see Nick Perri from Silvertide join GNR.? He's blues-rock based, knows his licks, is young (face it, with all of GNR being around 40, it'd be nice to have someone 22 just so you could relate with him more for the young kids) and definitely has the rock n' roll swagger if people are looking for the GNR image.? For me it all comes down to the music, which would put him #1, but all those other things are an added bonus.?

Fargo  Nov 15, 2002
NY       May 15, 2006
NY       May 17, 2006
Ames   Dec 1,   2006
Mpls     Dec 2,   2006
Sturgis Aug 13, 2010
Fargo Aug 11, 2021
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #156 on: October 31, 2005, 10:41:05 PM »

Slash!!

Oh, I forgot, he has band!

rofl
Jonathan
« Reply #157 on: November 01, 2005, 01:06:37 AM »

They don't need to replace him.. They already have two..
Krash
Opening Act

You could be mine! If your a chick!

« Reply #158 on: November 09, 2005, 03:51:52 AM »

Replace KFC guy with a real blues rocker lead guitarist like this guy - http://geocities.com/frostbite974/Loki_Strike_Halloween_Blowout.mp3

"When there's no more room in hell the dead will walk the Earth..." -- Ken Foree, Dawn Of The Dead (1978)
NorthwindNS
« Reply #159 on: November 10, 2005, 09:29:07 AM »

No one can "replace" Buckethead. The guy is amazing! Download a couple of his tunes from Limewire or whatever you use to download music, (Nottingham Lace, Welcome to Buckethead Land).

The guy is amazing at leads, so please, no one can replace the guy!

NICK
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: