Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 01:52:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228102 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GNR should do Letterman
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: GNR should do Letterman  (Read 3533 times)
Oh My Choking Soul
VIP

Flee the scene...

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2006, 02:22:23 PM »

I just don't think the performance area is big enough for Guns N Roses... also, most the bands you just listed will suck a corporate dick to sell an album, get a record contract, and they cater to the media... Axl Rose doesn't do those things.
Nine Inch Nails has been offered to play SNL, late shows, etc... Trent declines.. it's not really his thing.. and I don't think it's Axl's either, but that's just my opinion.

I couldn't disagree more.

Nirvana suck dick to sell albums but "You Could Be Mine" was totally not a product of marketing, come on. I love GN'R but really, do you really belive this? GN'R did ?MTV, release the "Making of the Video" on VHS, and jumped on the alternative bandwagon with SI. I love them, but they want to make money.

"jumped on the alternative bandwagon with SI."

Put the crack pipe down....

Hmmmm... you don't notice a direct change in course between previous material versus post grunge material? Must be me, and the thousands of critcs that noted GN'R's failed effort to appeal to grunge fans... and later failed effort to appeal to industrial fans... and latest effort to appeal to gorrillaz fans.? Wink (last one was a joke)

First, "The Spaghetti Incident" was recorded alongside the Illusion albums, well before the grunge/alternative rock revolution. Second, nothing on TSI? sounds "grunge" or "alternative".
Are there distorted guitars with a lot of fuzz? No. No grunge. Are there offbeat Velvet Underground/Sonic Youth left-of-the-dial stabs? No. No alternative. So yes, it is just you!

THEY COVERED SOUNDGARDEN!!!

Hatts
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2006, 02:22:47 PM »

I think it would be badass if there were on letterman.  Who is on there next week?  My only worry with it would be that something would go wrong and it would make them look bad all over the world.  Don't need anoter 2002 vma.  I thougth that performance rocked, but they really got torn apart for that one.

Hatts

"If I thought that I was crazy well i guess i'd have more fun."
G N R PIMP
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2006, 02:23:25 PM »

If he does any TV interviews they're oviously going to be on European shows.

I hope Axl does Jonathon Ross , that would be good.
Origen
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2006, 02:46:42 PM »

Yeah Jonathon Ross would be great, as long as Axl doesn't sit there moody and wouldn't mind Jonathon Ross taken the piss. It would be a great interview.
SonofAGun
Rocker

Original fan Circa 87, Shaq and Roses?

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2006, 03:12:24 PM »

i don't think they should do ANY tv performances like late night shows until there is something for people to buy.  it would be a waste otherwise..
the ones who dont know that the band is doing new stuff would be more inclined to buy it but only after the album is out.

The New Cars just did The Late Late show and their album doesnt come out until June 6. Bands do it all the time. Its called building momentum.

Outside of GNR and rock diehards the general public has forgotten about GNR. Doing a show like this isnt "selling out" or premature. Its the nature of the business.
shaun
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2006, 03:55:18 PM »

Given they are going to be in NYC next week, they should do a song. Good exposure, live audience etc.

I wouldnt be totally shocked if this happens next week.

GNR should do Letterman

Maybe you should rephrase that. Who should do Letterman 1st - Axl, Brain, Tommy or Robin  hihi
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 03:58:09 PM by D0badog » Logged
shaun
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2006, 03:56:21 PM »

OMG! it gets even more obscene  rofl
RichardNixon
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2006, 03:56:29 PM »

I just don't think the performance area is big enough for Guns N Roses... also, most the bands you just listed will suck a corporate dick to sell an album, get a record contract, and they cater to the media... Axl Rose doesn't do those things.
Nine Inch Nails has been offered to play SNL, late shows, etc... Trent declines.. it's not really his thing.. and I don't think it's Axl's either, but that's just my opinion.

I couldn't disagree more.

Nirvana suck dick to sell albums but "You Could Be Mine" was totally not a product of marketing, come on. I love GN'R but really, do you really belive this? GN'R did ?MTV, release the "Making of the Video" on VHS, and jumped on the alternative bandwagon with SI. I love them, but they want to make money.

"jumped on the alternative bandwagon with SI."

Put the crack pipe down....

Hmmmm... you don't notice a direct change in course between previous material versus post grunge material? Must be me, and the thousands of critcs that noted GN'R's failed effort to appeal to grunge fans... and later failed effort to appeal to industrial fans... and latest effort to appeal to gorrillaz fans.? Wink (last one was a joke)

First, "The Spaghetti Incident" was recorded alongside the Illusion albums, well before the grunge/alternative rock revolution. Second, nothing on TSI? sounds "grunge" or "alternative".
Are there distorted guitars with a lot of fuzz? No. No grunge. Are there offbeat Velvet Underground/Sonic Youth left-of-the-dial stabs? No. No alternative. So yes, it is just you!

THEY COVERED SOUNDGARDEN!!!

Yeah, they threw on a 30 second cover...they really were jumping in the grunge bandwagon. ?Roll Eyes
JB9988
VIP

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2006, 04:12:48 PM »

anyone have the vid of petty at snl??

St.heathen
VIP

I Won't Be Told Anymore

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2006, 04:45:41 PM »

Talk Shows have never really been GNR's thing.  And let's be honest Slash and Duff tended to do most of the interviews ect back in the day.  I can't see Axl enjoying answering the same Questions over and over.  But hey this is a new phase for him so let's see.

Here in the UK we have a programe called Later with Jools Holland a great music show totally about the music they have all types of weird, brilliant music. About 5/6 totally different acts and styles all play in the same room. And it is all about the quality of song and performance.  That's what i'd like to see them do,  where it's just about the songs, that would do the new GNR's reputation a world of good in the UK - i feel anyway.   

It's a mass of confusion like the lies they sell to you !
CAFC Nick
VIP

I don't know just what I should do...

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2006, 04:50:37 PM »

Talk Shows have never really been GNR's thing.? And let's be honest Slash and Duff tended to do most of the interviews ect back in the day.? I can't see Axl enjoying answering the same Questions over and over.? But hey this is a new phase for him so let's see.

Here in the UK we have a programe called Later with Jools Holland a great music show totally about the music they have all types of weird, brilliant music. About 5/6 totally different acts and styles all play in the same room. And it is all about the quality of song and performance.? That's what i'd like to see them do,? where it's just about the songs, that would do the new GNR's reputation a world of good in the UK - i feel anyway.? ?

I don't see that happening. I didn't even know there was a current series on at the moment. Later with Jools Holland is so much more about Jazz and not about rock at all. Johnathan Ross would be so much more apt. They had Tommy Lee and Vince Neil on a few months back before the release of Red, White and Crue and they have a lot of big names on that show...they had the Chili Peppers playin Dani California on it two weeks ago so I think Johnathan Ross would be the best to do, if any.
Mobenrad
VIP

Free of all these chains

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2006, 05:03:43 PM »

Bands who have done SNL:

The Rolling Stones
The Grateful Dead
Bob Dylan
Frank Zappa
The Kinks
Tom Petty
Brian Wilson
Aerosmith
Eric Clapton
Nirvana
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Pearl Jam
U2
Metallica
Surviving Members of the Beatles

Pretty prestigious list if you ask me. SNL is a great way to generate publicity. What would a "band like GNR" be exactly?

Nirvana BLOWS. Tongue<<<Gayest logo for a band there is. THe sloppiest guitars, and lyrics that make no fucking sense whatsoever.
wink
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2006, 05:13:34 PM »

God no,

A band like gnr shouldn't whore itself out to talk shows/ saturday night live......

exactly what I was thinking.

Just don't do it.
Origen
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2006, 05:15:18 PM »

God no,

A band like gnr shouldn't whore itself out to talk shows/ saturday night live......

Just don't do it.

WTF? The most popular musicians, actors do them shows. I can't see why you's would say there is a problem with it.
wink
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2006, 05:18:27 PM »

God no,

Just don't do it.

WTF? The most popular musicians, actors do them shows. I can't see why you's would say there is a problem with it.

my opinion only is that it seems 'cheap'. G N' R are cool not cheap
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 05:40:04 PM by wink » Logged
BluesGNR
The Liberator
Legend

Here Today... Out for Lunch

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2006, 07:09:08 PM »

God no,

Just don't do it.

I'll second that... all in favor - none opposed.. motion carries.

You'll Find Your Inspiration GN'F'nR

2002: 12.6&8
2006: 5.12&14&15&17 11.5&10&13&24
2011: 11.15 12.10
2012: 2.19&24 11.17
2014: 5.13&28&30
2016: 4.1&8&9 6.23 7.1&3. 8.9&12
Oh My Choking Soul
VIP

Flee the scene...

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2006, 07:38:08 PM »

Bands who have done SNL:

The Rolling Stones
The Grateful Dead
Bob Dylan
Frank Zappa
The Kinks
Tom Petty
Brian Wilson
Aerosmith
Eric Clapton
Nirvana
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Pearl Jam
U2
Metallica

Pretty prestigious list if you ask me. SNL is a great way to generate publicity. What would a "band like GNR" be exactly?

Nirvana BLOWS. Tongue<<<Gayest logo for a band there is. THe sloppiest guitars, and lyrics that make no fucking sense whatsoever.

Agreed, Kurt could never write anything nearly as brilliant as shotgun blues.

alexh0618
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2006, 07:40:29 PM »

Bands who have done SNL:

The Rolling Stones
The Grateful Dead
Bob Dylan
Frank Zappa
The Kinks
Tom Petty
Brian Wilson
Aerosmith
Eric Clapton
Nirvana
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Pearl Jam
U2
Metallica

don't forget ac/dc
Bono
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2006, 10:54:03 PM »

I think it would be sweet if they did SNL. U2 did it in November of 2004 and it freaking rocked. Probably the best SNL performance ever. Axl could really generate alot of positive hype out of an SNL performance. Shit loads of bands have done these types of shows not just big name bands. It's not called selling out or sucking dick to make a buck. It's called playing a live gig. Pearl Jam fucking ripped last night on David Letterman and I assure you they aren't sucking any corporate dick. It's on televison so yeah they have to watch the laguange but other than that I don't see how it's selling out in anyway. I would bet every single one of you who are of the opinion that playing SNL or a Late night show is selling out would kill for the Rock in Rio or the Hammerstein shows to be on pay-per-view. Now tell me what's selling out?  Some of you might want to think a bit before you start spouting off about what is and isn't selling out.

I agree though with whoever it was that said they should NOT do any of these types of shows unless there is finally an album to promote.
ARC
VIP

DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE TO THE RADIO

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2006, 10:58:37 PM »

Nirvana suck dick to sell albums

Yeah, after they got famous they released an album with a song called "Rape Me"....

How much more commercial can you get...?  Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: