Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2024, 06:28:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228522 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The chinese democracy demos and live songs are holding up well against new album
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The chinese democracy demos and live songs are holding up well against new album  (Read 7256 times)
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2006, 08:48:23 AM »

I agree that even the GnR demos outshine some of the recent major releases.  Fine, the new Pearl Jam is a bit of a return to form, but compared to all the lackluster albums they've released with the weird musical experiements, the spoken ramblings, etc., I don't think that's saying all that much.  Personally, I was disappointed.  "Better," "The Blues," Madagascar," etc.  all hold up just fine, even live, and I spend more time listening to them than I do many of the other new albums out today.  It's time for Axl to show everyone how it's done again and get that album out.

Posted this elsewhere, but here's a link to NME talking about the Stones shows.  It again mentions that CD is coming out "soon..."

http://www.nme.com/news/guns-n-roses/22981
madagas
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2006, 09:07:03 AM »

The first problem is a record actually has to be released before I will compare the "new"/5 year old songs to anything. Not one fucking mention of the album in the latest press release. No credible release date rumors ANYWHERE. Can you say "CASH GRAB"? That is what the tour should be called. Another round of shows with no record.  Angry
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2006, 09:17:10 AM »

The first problem is a record actually has to be released before I will compare the "new"/5 year old songs to anything. Not one fucking mention of the album in the latest press release. No credible release date rumors ANYWHERE. Can you say "CASH GRAB"? That is what the tour should be called. Another round of shows with no record.? Angry
Well, as you know, thats what I also fear the most. But the only thing that makes me think it could be different is that Axl knows he cant make that same mistake again. But if you are right, and its a "cash grab", this tour will crash and burn long before it ever leaves Europe. People aren't putting up with that anymore. Yeah, shows are sold out, but if the tour starts going, and they hit Europe and still not even a peep from GNR about CD, interest for this tour will die quickly.

russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2006, 09:27:06 AM »

The first problem is a record actually has to be released before I will compare the "new"/5 year old songs to anything. Not one fucking mention of the album in the latest press release. No credible release date rumors ANYWHERE. Can you say "CASH GRAB"? That is what the tour should be called. Another round of shows with no record.  Angry

I don't get how its a "cash grab". Don't get me wrong, I want to see/hear this album as much as the rest of you. But if they're out there working hard to put on shows and they don't mention the album I just can't see how that's just a cash grab.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2006, 09:33:45 AM »

I don't get how its a "cash grab".
CD is no longer funded by the record company. Axl is basically paying the shit himself, as well as the band's salaries. After years of doing nothing but paying these guys, he has to do something to bring money in. If Cd isnt on the horizon, then that means a tour to bring in some cash. That is the "cash grab".

godiva
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2006, 09:45:31 AM »

Considering I get to see them live, I love this cash grab!  ok
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2006, 09:54:48 AM »

CD is no longer funded by the record company. Axl is basically paying the shit himself, as well as the band's salaries. After years of doing nothing but paying these guys, he has to do something to bring money in. If Cd isnt on the horizon, then that means a tour to bring in some cash. That is the "cash grab".

All in James opinion, and according to a much disputed article.

Just to be clear as to the source of the (pessimistic, as usual. Smiley  ) opinion.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2006, 09:56:29 AM »

i don`t think so....

axl made 20 million bucks with his sanctuary deal... money isn`t the problem for sure.

the ball started rolling... that?s the reason for this tour ok

and most people who bought tickets for the shows are interested in the old songs, not the new CD, so the interest won`t die, if there`s no CD.

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
madagas
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2006, 09:56:45 AM »

Don't get me wrong, I am absolutely jacked about the Ny shows. It is just irritating that the record always seems to be put off....almost as a second priority. Tool did it right. They timed the record release with their tour. If they are doing the shows with no record or single, then they are only doing them to make money....possibly for promotion but probably to help pay for the extraordinary recording costs over the last decade. ?peace You can continue to speculate about reasons and excuses for why the record hasn't come out and why this must be the time. However, history has proven again and again that Axl simply won't let go of this project and there is no current sign that he has let go now. ok
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2006, 09:57:54 AM »

I guess I can understand that in a way, but my point is if the band (including Axl obviously) is working their asses off to put on a show, then they're not just grabbing cash. You know what I mean? If Axl wanted to just grab some cash wouldn't he just release some shit that he doesn't have to work for? You know like Paris 92 on DVD or another Greatest Hits package or something.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2006, 09:59:12 AM »

Don't get me wrong, I am absolutely jacked about the Ny shows. It is just irritating that the record always seems to be put off....almost as a second priority. Tool did it right. They timed the record release with their tour. If they are doing the shows with no record or single, then they are only doing them to make money....possibly for promotion but probably to help pay for the extraordinary recording costs over the last decade. ?peace You can continue to speculate about reasons and excuses for why the record hasn't come out and why this must be the time. However, history has proven again and again that Axl simply won't let go of this project and there is no current sign that he has let go now. ok

And, once again....dragging the thread off topic, by the balls, to talk about something that's discussed in 10, 20, 30, 50 threads.

Roll Eyes

ON TOPIC: I agree, the new stuff seems to hold up well in comparison to recently released material. 

It sounds like GnR, still, but a more "up to date" sounding GnR.   Almost like they'd been releasing stuff all along...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 10:01:01 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Evolution
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2006, 10:04:57 AM »

The newer songs for me have that GNR feel to them, but as pilferk said have a modern feel to them too.

I'm proud to say Better, TWAT and Catcher are GNR songs.
madagas
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2006, 10:05:26 AM »

By the balls? I don't grab anything by the balls! hihi hihi ON TOPIC, yes, I think the material definitely holds up to anything on classic rock radio and modern rock radio. The songs hit alot of different formats. For example, the Blues and CITR would do well on adult formats and Better would do well on modern rock formats. The record, WHEN IT COMES OUT, should do well. Kiss
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 10:07:45 AM by madagas » Logged
Big Gun
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2006, 10:09:43 AM »

Well, as you know, thats what I also fear the most. But the only thing that makes me think it could be different is that Axl knows he cant make that same mistake again. But if you are right, and its a "cash grab", this tour will crash and burn long before it ever leaves Europe. People aren't putting up with that anymore. Yeah, shows are sold out, but if the tour starts going, and they hit Europe and still not even a peep from GNR about CD, interest for this tour will die quickly.

this is the way i see it; i'm happy about Axl doing the shows in Europe, which means ill have the chance to see him and his employees live. if the album comes out in the mean time fine, if not...still fine. it has been far to long since he made a record for me to care if he puts the new CD out or not. i will still enjoy my night out beer in RDS Dublin with or without the new record. next day back to my routine worrying about how to increase my diposable income Grin. one thing that definetely i wont do is loose sleep over this new record. so my friends enjoy life and the new shows comming up.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 10:49:22 AM by Big Willie » Logged

Please don?t put your life in the hands
Of a rock and roll band
And throw it all away
CAFC Nick
VIP

I don't know just what I should do...

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2006, 10:12:49 AM »

Yeah I really like the songs and think they hold up very well compared to today's rock music scene.

Although...GN'R is frowned upon from where I come from.
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2006, 10:19:35 AM »

Yeah I really like the songs and think they hold up very well compared to today's rock music scene.

Although...GN'R is frowned upon from where I come from.

Are you from Jon Bon Jovi's hometown? Lips Sealed

Just kidding.

I can't imagine these songs doing very well on rock radio. I think all them from Madagascar through the newer tunes will be big singles.

Big Gun
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2006, 10:23:21 AM »

Are you from Jon Bon Jovi's hometown?

rofl rofl rofl
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 10:46:30 AM by Big Willie » Logged

Please don?t put your life in the hands
Of a rock and roll band
And throw it all away
badapple81
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2006, 10:26:46 AM »

Better is a perfect balance of the old classic sound combined with the new.
CAFC Nick
VIP

I don't know just what I should do...

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2006, 10:30:02 AM »

I said the same thing about TWAT. I think with some tweaks, TWAT could become GNR's new signature tune. With a shortened solo and another verse and a little less of the chorus it would be a very strong tune. The guitar work is reminiscent of Slash and proves the doubters that the new guys can at least equal him.
badapple81
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2006, 10:37:06 AM »

I said the same thing about TWAT. I think with some tweaks, TWAT could become GNR's new signature tune. With a shortened solo and another verse and a little less of the chorus it would be a very strong tune. The guitar work is reminiscent of Slash and proves the doubters that the new guys can at least equal him.

Without a doubt. The lyrics are amazing and the music is beautiful. Definately needs shortening and some work around the structure of the song and it has potential to be a GN'R classic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: