Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 10:22:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The Third Guitarist Question (should Buckethead rejoin or maybe even Slash?)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Third Guitarist Question (should Buckethead rejoin or maybe even Slash?)  (Read 50528 times)
BabyGorilla
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2006, 03:54:17 AM »

I think some people are exaggerating the level of difficulty of Buckethead's playing from the songs we have heard. Thus far, I have yet to hear guitar parts on this album that a seasoned guitarist like Tony MacAlphine couldn't handle. I noticed some sweep-picking fillers thrown around but those parts do not have to be played exactly the same. The majority of concert goers do not have the ear training needed to pickup on discernable differences as long at it's played in the same key and with the same timing. Also, many musicians improvise on-stage and their songs are not always one-hundred percent faithful to the album version. There are a number of guitarist that I would like to see fill the void left by Buckethead but I would really love for the person to be an unknown young prodigy that just stepped out of his father basement and onto the stage with one of the biggest bands of all-time.
steviebucket
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2006, 03:57:46 AM »

Well, i DO have the ear to hear the fuckups, and there aren't a lot of people who can play those taped arpeggios in TWAT or the sweeps in IRS, not as well as BH atleast, but i agree, if anyone new, it should be a young guy new to the scene.
brownstonemr
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2006, 04:10:52 AM »

but I would really love for the person to be an unknown young prodigy that just stepped out of his father basement and onto the stage with one of the biggest bands of all-time.

CBS presents Rockstar GNFNR.... Slash can host.
BabyGorilla
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2006, 04:11:36 AM »

Not necessarily fuck-ups. Just different takes on the song but maintaining the same characteristics. Robin Finck did a lot of this with Slash's song. He was not 100% faithful but he managed to keep the basics while making the songs his own. And you will be surprised by what some musicians can do given the practice. Just check out this guys version of a popular Steve Vai song: http://members.home.nl/r.basic/html/Ismar%20-%20Tender%20Surrender(solo).mp3

I think my ideal guitarist for GNR would be Jerry Chang. This kid is just waiting to explode onto the scene.
steviebucket
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2006, 04:12:20 AM »

but I would really love for the person to be an unknown young prodigy that just stepped out of his father basement and onto the stage with one of the biggest bands of all-time.

CBS presents Rockstar GNFNR.... Slash can host.

Corny, but shit, i'd watch.. imagine all the great guitar music. Smiley
steviebucket
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2006, 04:14:17 AM »

Yea, there's another Chang in a band or was in a band called dragonforce who plays some really really amazing shit, as far as your Chang, too much of Steve Vai thing for me goin on...

Only from what i've heard, but what young guitarist inst influnced atleast a lil by Vai.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 04:16:13 AM by steviebucket » Logged
BabyGorilla
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2006, 04:16:10 AM »

The guy you are thinking about is Hermin Li from DragonForce. Also, the link I posted was not of Jerry Chang. I was just showing how someone can recreate some impossible guitar parts without being 100% faithful.
steviebucket
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #107 on: February 21, 2006, 04:17:34 AM »

Yea yea, he's from england, no? i like his work alot. could ease up on the pitch-shifter though.
steviebucket
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2006, 04:23:11 AM »

And not to double post but take a guy like Herman Li who is incredibly talented... i STILL hold him yards before Bucket, playing wise, for me atleast... he just embodies what I wanna hear, and if someone is gonna play his parts (if they play it the same) I won't buy it. it's gotta be a whole new thing if it's gonna be someone else. but i'm sure slash fans said the same about BH. eh... fuck it though, i'm a BH fan, i'm entitled.
supaplex
VIP

just another lazy prick

« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2006, 04:46:10 AM »

stevie i think a lot of people here would like to see buckethead back with axl including me. that would be awesome and i really hope he will return. let's just keep our fingers crossed  ok

steviebucket
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2006, 04:47:29 AM »

A blowjob from me to you.  Tongue <=======8  beer
badapple81
« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2006, 04:50:27 AM »

Either way Axl knows by now what the plan is. He wouldn't have committed to these shows otherwise.
makane
Legend

« Reply #112 on: February 21, 2006, 05:44:50 AM »

I'd really like Joe Perry to play these festival shows, though I guess that's not gonna happen? Undecided he has the skills and the charisma.

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #113 on: February 21, 2006, 08:59:00 AM »

The answer to this question is quite simple. Wes, who released the demos said that they were from 2004, so they are old versions of the songs from when BH was in the band. No doubt IRS, Better, TWAT as well as the new songs from 2002 have been reworked since then, with Buckethead's parts removed and replaced with more melodic Finck solos. BH's solo from Madagascar would probably have to stay because it's so integral to the song, but that's a simple solo so could easily be re-recorded and played live by Finck. All the other BH solos I can see being replaced by Finck. Remember from the 2004 press release, Axl said BH was using his work on CD to promote his own solo material, so knowing Axl I would doubt he would give him the satisfaction of leaving his material on the record. Axl had a certain industrial direction he wanted to take the band, and probably wanted to incorportate shred, but now with the BH's departure and with more queen-like arrangemements, that idea is probably gone, along with Buckethead's guitar parts.

Finck do Buckethead's parts? I love Finck, but even he would say "I can't"? nervous

In the unlikely event that Axl did keep BH's parts on the record, it's likely that Finck would have been asked to work on his chops. Remember he's already a great guitar player so I'm sure with a lot of work since 2002 he could easily be up to BH's speed standards by now, if Axl felt he still needed shred on the album or someone to play BH's parts live.

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #114 on: February 21, 2006, 09:04:00 AM »

Joe Perry?  Dude, Perry makes Slash look like a Shredder.  Perry can't even play the Slash catalogue.
Goddamn_Electric
Rocker

« Reply #115 on: February 21, 2006, 09:15:00 AM »

I only made it to page 3, but my vote goes to Gilby Clarke.  It's the most realistic choice.  He already knows the majority of the songs, and he and Axl performed live together a few years back.  Also, he already replaced one gunner, why not do it again?

11/17/02 Mark of the Quad Cities
11/27/06 Rosemont Horizon
2/19/2012 House of Blues Chicago
7/1/2016 Soldier Field Chicago
7/3/2016 Soldier Field Chicago
10/13/2019 Exit 111 Festival
gnrkid03
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #116 on: February 21, 2006, 10:17:45 AM »

One world.. on syllable... SLASH!
Lazinko
Opening Act

See you in Stockholm!

« Reply #117 on: February 21, 2006, 10:24:14 AM »

What about Tracii Guns?   Tongue
leo5150
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #118 on: February 21, 2006, 10:32:09 AM »

axl has his 3 guitar players
Woooo!
Headliner

Yeah, we all know Better...

« Reply #119 on: February 21, 2006, 10:57:33 AM »

I think the album will remain with Bucket's parts. Then when they play live I reckon they will just improvise with the 2 guitarists. It could work but I did like the 3 guitar attack thing. That was cool!

There's not anymore that I can do...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: