Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 11:52:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228124 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The Third Guitarist Question (should Buckethead rejoin or maybe even Slash?)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Third Guitarist Question (should Buckethead rejoin or maybe even Slash?)  (Read 46082 times)
F*ck Fear
VIP

Getcha Pull!

« Reply #180 on: February 23, 2006, 11:41:15 PM »

IMO I think if Bucket was to come back they could ditch Finck...Fortus is a great player.
I'm not saying that's what I want or anything,but it's something to think about as far as the need for three players is concerend

11/29/2002 Toronto Canada
11/15/2006 Toronto Canada
01/24/2010 Hamilton Canada
11/28/2011 Hamilton Canada
07/15/2013 Toronto Canada
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #181 on: February 24, 2006, 12:10:11 AM »

I think it's almost impossible for an hypothetical new fan to take Buckethead as a new ''Guitar god'' just because he is extremely good. Young people don't know who Paul Gilbert is, who Joe Satriani is, who Angus Young is or who David Gilmour is. They NEED to know them if you want them to take Buckethead as a guitar god. In these terms, I think Slash is more digestible than Buckethead. ?Why? Because Slash has a lot more scenic presence, he's more spectacular than Buckethead and... even if you're 10 years old YOU KNOW WHO SLASH IS.

Young people will think that Buckethead is boring. As they probably think Gilbert is boring, and as they probably think that hard rock itself is boring. They were born listening to bullshit music like rap, bubblegum pop and all that shit. I think they'll prefer listening to Black Eyed Peas, Kelly Clarkson or Ashlee Simpson.

That's why I doubt about the ''inminent success'' of the new band. I can't imagine people younger than 20 or 22 in GN'R upcoming concerts. We will be a bunch of old dudes, without all the horny and hysterical chicks that used to go massivly to the 87-93 era concerts (I went to River Plate Stadium in 07.17.93 and I can say for sure that the 85% of the 80.000 people in that day were those chicks)

By the way, I don't give a shit about ''success'', ''massive concerts'' and MTV and all that shit. I'm very proud that MY FAVOURITE BAND is still doing music, and that's not all, BRILLIANT music.

I'm 22 and I feel like my grandpa talking this way  rofl

God Bless Guns N' Roses (all eras)? ok

(forgive my english, my mother language is spanish as you can realise)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 12:12:16 AM by estebanf » Logged

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
iamskeletor
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #182 on: February 24, 2006, 12:31:07 AM »

I didn't read the whole thread so excuse me if this has been posted. I think Buckethead's parts could be covered fairly easily by Chris Pittman. A synth can mock pretty much any tone. Anyone who knows the band Dream Theater knows that Jordan Rudess often plays a guitar part on his keyboard setup to complement John Petrucci.
iamskeletor
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #183 on: February 24, 2006, 01:00:00 AM »

Alright, it probably wouldn't be that easy, but I was being serious. I don't know how talented Pittman is, but I know that playing those fast sweeps on a keyboard is much, much easier than playing them on a guitar. As a guitar player, I appreciate how difficult the Buckethead stuff is. In fact, I have been listening to him well before he joined the band. I know that one of the main reasons he learned and mastered the 10-finger tapping stuff was to replicate a piece of music that Shawn Lane wrote for the piano with the idea that it would be impossible to play on the guitar (Buckethead didn't know this when he heard the tape, so he figured it out anyway).

Listen to any recent Dream Theater. The synth that Jordan Rudess uses replicates a distorted, effect driven guitar tone. His setup allows for bending notes, wah effects, and whammy effects.  A few years ago Dream Theater was closing thier shows with Master of Puppets (the entire album). Because the band only has one guitar player (Petrucci), Rudess had to handle a lot of the rythym guitar and some of the harmony leads on his keyboards. (Metallica later said that hearing Dream Theater cover Master of Puppets was the only time the songs were performed flawlessly live). My point is that playing fast licks can be replicated on keyboards.
steviebucket
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #184 on: February 24, 2006, 01:01:48 AM »

Well i for one would rather see Buckethead ripping his own solos up live as to having see Pittmen play it on keyboard. not for me.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #185 on: February 24, 2006, 01:07:56 AM »

if Axl wants someone to play Buckets parts, get Warren DeMartini. the dude is a wild guitarplayer, and I can imagine he would scrap anything else he's doing for the opportunity to play with Axl.
besides, he looks cool these days, lol.
Nuno is also an excellent choice btw.
he might also check if Jerry Cantrell is free, great guitarplayer and an awesome backupsinger!
but Im guessing he's busy with AIC + new singer thing.

i think I would vomit if Warren DeMartini was the new lead.

I got you one even better...C.C. Deville.

hihi

check mate.

Wow, there are some really terrible guitarists on the market.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
iamskeletor
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #186 on: February 24, 2006, 01:09:44 AM »

Well i for one would rather see Buckethead ripping his own solos up live as to having see Pittmen play it on keyboard. not for me.

Clearly. The guy is phenomenal. But if he's not in the band, and Bumblefoot isn't in the band, than I say leave it at two guitars.
steviebucket
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #187 on: February 24, 2006, 01:12:19 AM »

Clearly. The guy is phenomenal. But if he's not in the band, and Bumblefoot isn't in the band, than I say leave it at two guitars.

yea but they aren't gonna be able to play the parts as i'd want to hear it. i think if no bucket, they need a lead player up to par.
Ineverlearn000022
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #188 on: February 24, 2006, 04:31:54 AM »

Sorry guys, but this might be the worst "Phenomenon" that just found its way into my toilet.  ***News Flash*** Buckethead is not GnR.  Slash is and will always be the face of rock...why do you think VR sold so well.  And don't give me this SnakePit crap.  Question?...Would you rather see Axl with his new band...or would you rather see Axl with Slash and Duff.  That is why we are here right?

Wake up....Time to die!!!!!!!!!
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #189 on: February 24, 2006, 04:56:27 AM »

I think it's almost impossible for an hypothetical new fan to take Buckethead as a new ''Guitar god'' just because he is extremely good. Young people don't know who Paul Gilbert is, who Joe Satriani is, who Angus Young is or who David Gilmour is. They NEED to know them if you want them to take Buckethead as a guitar god. In these terms, I think Slash is more digestible than Buckethead. ?Why? Because Slash has a lot more scenic presence, he's more spectacular than Buckethead and... even if you're 10 years old YOU KNOW WHO SLASH IS.

Young people will think that Buckethead is boring. As they probably think Gilbert is boring, and as they probably think that hard rock itself is boring. They were born listening to bullshit music like rap, bubblegum pop and all that shit. I think they'll prefer listening to Black Eyed Peas, Kelly Clarkson or Ashlee Simpson.

That's why I doubt about the ''inminent success'' of the new band. I can't imagine people younger than 20 or 22 in GN'R upcoming concerts. We will be a bunch of old dudes, without all the horny and hysterical chicks that used to go massivly to the 87-93 era concerts (I went to River Plate Stadium in 07.17.93 and I can say for sure that the 85% of the 80.000 people in that day were those chicks)

By the way, I don't give a shit about ''success'', ''massive concerts'' and MTV and all that shit. I'm very proud that MY FAVOURITE BAND is still doing music, and that's not all, BRILLIANT music.

I'm 22 and I feel like my grandpa talking this way  rofl

God Bless Guns N' Roses (all eras)  ok

(forgive my english, my mother language is spanish as you can realise)

believe me, you`ll see lots of younger people at gnr concerts.....i`m one of them ok

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
steviebucket
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #190 on: February 24, 2006, 05:10:11 AM »

Sorry guys, but this might be the worst "Phenomenon" that just found its way into my toilet.? ***News Flash*** Buckethead is not GnR.? Slash is and will always be the face of rock...why do you think VR sold so well.? And don't give me this SnakePit crap.? Question?...Would you rather see Axl with his new band...or would you rather see Axl with Slash and Duff.? That is why we are here right?

Not why i'm here. Me personally? Axl with BH, Finck, Fortus n dizzy. Smiley

80's are over. not to be cruel, but theres only so much raw sun-set strip blues based rock i can take, 14 years should mean change, and those guys still play their 80's music. and for those who enjoy it, cool, but i don't.
Skunk
Rocker

« Reply #191 on: February 24, 2006, 05:13:30 AM »

"man, that guitarist from Nickelback would sound AWESOME in puddle of mudd!!!

hahahah! ?Grin

When someone on a GN'R board refers to Slash as a douche, it strikes me as absolutely astonishing. ?Like someone saying Page should've stayed with Coverdale. ?Or maybe that Mick should've ditched Keith because he's a druggie. ?There are about a half-dozen or so combinations in Rock history that will never be anything other that archetypal. ?Lennon/McCartney. ?Page/Plant. ?Jagger/Richards. ?Tyler/Perry. ?Mercury/May. ?Axl/Slash. ?I'm fine with these people going on and doing things on their own. ?That's life. ?But to even pretend that they are better with anyone else just doesn't make sense to me.

Great post. I think all the new guitarists are great, and BH is obviously a talent, but you really said whats special to me about Slash in GNR, that place in history that the old band carved out, and how him and Axl had that dynamic. I wouldn't want a reunion, not now, but you can't deny their place. Thats what made the band so special, not just good, not just enjoyable, but special - look at that handful of combinations there, the Axl/Slash combo was a long time coming, and nobody has done it since.
elevendayempire
Rocker

...Now I know you better...

« Reply #192 on: February 24, 2006, 07:22:51 AM »

Brian May. Well, he did step in to rework Finck's parts when he was out of the band... Smiley

SG
RichardNixon
« Reply #193 on: February 24, 2006, 07:31:51 AM »

A few years ago when Slash played with Michael Jackon he played "beat it." Slash was smart enough to know not to play Eddie Van Halen's solo, so he made up his own. If CD is released with BH's parts, when they play the songs live they will just have to wing it, like Slash did w/ "beat it."
SADIS
« Reply #194 on: February 25, 2006, 06:13:16 AM »

Sorry guys, but this might be the worst "Phenomenon" that just found its way into my toilet.? ***News Flash*** Buckethead is not GnR.? Slash is and will always be the face of rock...why do you think VR sold so well.? And don't give me this SnakePit crap.? Question?...Would you rather see Axl with his new band...or would you rather see Axl with Slash and Duff.? That is why we are here right?

Not why i'm here. Me personally? Axl with BH, Finck, Fortus n dizzy. Smiley

80's are over. not to be cruel, but theres only so much raw sun-set strip blues based rock i can take, 14 years should mean change, and those guys still play their 80's music. and for those who enjoy it, cool, but i don't.

So you are liking a band based on image? Cause they haven't done anything really.....or you have a cd containing al those great songs written by Dizzy, Finck n Fortus never released?

You don't play those old albums? Never popping in AFD or UYI?

People saying they only like GnR based on Finck, Fortus or Dizzy make me sick.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #195 on: February 25, 2006, 06:24:06 AM »

I love when people put things in classes, like the 80's are over..  Cheesy yeah axl with slash I just think 80's
SADIS
« Reply #196 on: February 25, 2006, 06:31:33 AM »

I love when people put things in classes, like the 80's are over..? Cheesy yeah axl with slash I just think 80's

Especially when the music GnR made is based on 60/70's Zeppelin and 70's Aerosmith. Stupid fucks don't know shit about the music itself. The reason GnR was big is because they made music NOT in the style of the 80's.

And if they don't like the "80's GnR" then fucking stop listening to the new shit cause that don't sound very different from the Old GnR. Go put on that fantastic song Dizzy wrote us "Silkworms".
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #197 on: February 25, 2006, 06:46:59 AM »

I love when people put things in classes, like the 80's are over..? Cheesy yeah axl with slash I just think 80's

Especially when the music GnR made is based on 60/70's Zeppelin and 70's Aerosmith. Stupid fucks don't know shit about the music itself. The reason GnR was big is because they made music NOT in the style of the 80's.

And if they don't like the "80's GnR" then fucking stop listening to the new shit cause that don't sound very different from the Old GnR. Go put on that fantastic song Dizzy wrote us "Silkworms".

most people saying stupid shit like that just hate the old band or never experienced.... The reason the forums even exist..  Exactly about gnr's influences and why people flocked to afd because it wasn't sounding like poison, it didn't sound 80's....  We all know afd is such a dated album hihi
green
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #198 on: February 25, 2006, 07:43:34 AM »

Ok guys i m new here but i would like to point u one thing that Slash ain't coming back cuz i think u guys didn't read what Axl said to the DJ in NY"He said(Axl Rose) this album (Chinese Democracy)will show everyone who was the main ingredient from GN'R.So that line proves that Axl thinks that he can carry the New GNR without Slash.I m surprized that why u guys don't realized that Axl wants to prove that he was GNR,he is GNR & he will be GNR...
SADIS
« Reply #199 on: February 25, 2006, 07:53:59 AM »

Ok guys i m new here but i would like to point u one thing that Slash ain't coming back cuz i think u guys didn't read what Axl said to the DJ in NY"He said(Axl Rose) this album (Chinese Democracy)will show everyone who was the main ingredient from GN'R.So that line proves that Axl thinks that he can carry the New GNR without Slash.I m surprized that why u guys don't realized that Axl wants to prove that he was GNR,he is GNR & he will be GNR...

He was part of GnR , a legendary band built from amazingly talented people....cause if he was/is GnR where's the Rock N Roll in the recent line-up? That Rock N Roll vibe that made GnR what it is today? I really think GnR wouldn't have been so big without Izzy and Slash. Axl can't write a PC, SCOM, WTTJ, ISE, YCBM, DC pretty big hits don't you think?

And no, Slash ain't coming back....didn't need his comment to figure that one out.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: