Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 06:10:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The Third Guitarist Question (should Buckethead rejoin or maybe even Slash?)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Third Guitarist Question (should Buckethead rejoin or maybe even Slash?)  (Read 46325 times)
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #140 on: February 22, 2006, 04:14:07 AM »

The ONLY reason Slash may come back is because the guy is a legendary rock star... not just some guy in a platinum selling band that had a nice debut record.... A LEGEND. Steven Adler (who arguably knows Slash better than anyone else) alluded to it in his Metal Sludge interview... Slash gets downright giddy when it comes to playing stadiums, and hitting the road and being a rock n' roll legend.... again not just some nice band... but a LEGENDARY band... that's what he grew up with... that's what he always wanted... and touring with Axl under the GN'R banner may be the only way he ever gets it back... VR is a great little band, but it will never go down with Zepelin, The Stones, Floyd, etc. like GN'R will. I guess Steven's a little bitter about Slash- and very fvcked up (obviously)... but reading that article... I'm not convinced Slash would absolutely make it a "package" deal that he would only come back with Duff, Izzy and Matt, etc... I've always felt like Slash is more like Axl than people realize... very ambitious... probably why they were a great duo AND constantly clashing swords....

Also, Slash is a great student of rock history- and from what I can tell- despite all their feuds- has a healthy respect for Axl's place in rock history... at a minimum, I think the guy is genuinely excited about Axl's return... could that "excitement" lead to a lead guitar slot with the band? Probably not, but I don't think it's CRAZYTALK either. smoking

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
leesixxrose
Banned
VIP

I love Kiki

« Reply #141 on: February 22, 2006, 04:39:33 AM »

I wish he would come back.....
elmir
VIP

« Reply #142 on: February 22, 2006, 04:57:44 AM »

Mr. Vector, what in the last two weeks has been a reaction to a plausible event?

Merck confirmed the festival dates for GNR.

Nothing at all.  So, its almost like, what will we hear next?

Probably an official statement.

What about the Haflin rumor?

What about it? He just said that the original line up of GNR will be playing at Download. he didn't say that they will be playing TOGETHER AT THE SAME TIME IN ONE BAND!!!! They may be there with their own respective bands....

What about Slash leaking the story about March....It is so weird.

Don't forget that GNR have been with Geffen from day one.....Slash still has lots of friends there....someone could have easily told him the inside info on CD...that's not weird.

What's weird was his enthusiasm about it....don't forget that HE called that radio station and talked about it, it wasn't the other way around....that's more weird than the fact that he knew.

I doubt it will happen, but, nothing will suprise me at this point.

yeah, likewise....i hope it doesn't, as then the last 12 yrs were a waste of everyone's time....Axl should get back together with Slash as they make a good team, but only in a few years time, once CD has been released and toured for.

Not before.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 05:02:28 AM by theProject » Logged

I please one person per day...today is not your day...tomorrow ain't looking good either...
badapple81
« Reply #143 on: February 22, 2006, 05:01:14 AM »

I don't understand why people have this idea Slash may come back.

Just a few weeks ago Axl said he hadn't spoken to Slash in so long.

Slash is in this band called Velvet Revolver and has made his thoughts on using the name GN'R clear.

Slash is not coming back  no
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #144 on: February 22, 2006, 05:37:50 AM »

mmm. it is highly unlikely Slash is coming back unless both of them have been keeping a big secret. Axl was less than forthcoming in his latest interview, the tones of both their recent interviews sound reconcilitary

and I agree, Slash wouldnt come back without Duff, but whos to say Duff wont come back either... Tommy seems more at home with Soul Asylum these days - everybody wins!

all very unlikely of course

my ideal 3rd guitarist would of course be Slash but failing that:

1) Buckethead. The guys a motherfucker. Hugely talented and the only new member with a modicum of what Axls starpower and marketibilty used to be. No one can replace the enormous vacuum left by Slash, but this guy can create a buzz that at least counters it somewhat This band badly needs a 'new' star, and BH could have been the guy.

2) Dave Navarro. A great player if a little too much of a media whore these days.

3) Kim Thayil. This could sound great I reckon. It would really fuck things up and throw the cat amongst the pigeons. I could never see Kim agreeing though, he's far too metaphysical although Axl does seem to have a penchant for indie/underground/alternative types.

4) Someone mentioned Vernon Reid in another post. Interesting. He's a great shredder, I cant see this happening especially as he was a vocal critic of Axls One in a million lyrics back when they both opened for the Stones. Whats that guy been doing lately anyway?

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
RnT
Legend

Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future.

« Reply #145 on: February 22, 2006, 09:55:19 AM »

IF GNR are looking for a 3rd guitarrist, NUNO ( ex - Extreme ) is the BEST guy to do it
 beer

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #146 on: February 22, 2006, 10:14:47 AM »

3) Kim Thayil. This could sound great I reckon. It would really fuck things up and throw the cat amongst the pigeons. I could never see Kim agreeing though, he's far too metaphysical although Axl does seem to have a penchant for indie/underground/alternative types.
I cant believe someone else besides me thinks he would be a great choice. I suggested Kim in the buckethead replacement thread ages ago.

GunnerRose
Headliner

You can make my money Tonight!

« Reply #147 on: February 22, 2006, 10:19:32 AM »

Even Gilby said, VR is dull rock and SLASH is going through the motions.
People who don't like each other personally use each other all the time because it benefits themselves.

LJ
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #148 on: February 22, 2006, 10:38:04 AM »

if Axl wants someone to play Buckets parts, get Warren DeMartini. the dude is a wild guitarplayer, and I can imagine he would scrap anything else he's doing for the opportunity to play with Axl.
besides, he looks cool these days, lol.
Nuno is also an excellent choice btw.
he might also check if Jerry Cantrell is free, great guitarplayer and an awesome backupsinger!
but Im guessing he's busy with AIC + new singer thing.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #149 on: February 22, 2006, 12:09:53 PM »

hrm, do you guys think there's any chance Izzy could come back?  In Jan. Axl said he had just talked with Izzy.

"This isn't McDonald's or Burger King - it isn't 'Have it your way.'"
- Axl Rose, as cited by Del James
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #150 on: February 22, 2006, 12:14:47 PM »

I cant believe someone else besides me thinks he would be a great choice. I suggested Kim in the buckethead replacement thread ages ago.

Kim really doesn't play guitar anymore.  He's kicking it in semi-retirement these days. ok

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #151 on: February 22, 2006, 12:21:04 PM »

Kim really doesn't play guitar anymore.? He's kicking it in semi-retirement these days. ok
Isn't he a doctor or a psychologist? Or used to be anyways. Surely Axl could talk him out of semi-retirement. ok

Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

« Reply #152 on: February 22, 2006, 12:23:37 PM »

Kim really doesn't play guitar anymore.? He's kicking it in semi-retirement these days. ok
Isn't he a doctor or a psychologist? Or used to be anyways. Surely Axl could talk him out of semi-retirement. ok

I have no idea.  I was always fond of his guitar work so it was sad when I read an interview from Chris Cornell where he said that Kim doesn't play much anymore.  But as a replacement for Big B, I don't think Kim could do GNR justice.  He's not technical enough, but he has an awesome style though. ok

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #153 on: February 22, 2006, 12:27:37 PM »

I have no idea.? I was always fond of his guitar work so it was sad when I read an interview from Chris Cornell where he said that Kim doesn't play much anymore.? But as a replacement for Big B, I don't think Kim could do GNR justice.? He's not technical enough, but he has an awesome style though. ok
He is an amazing guitar player. Your right, not the same style as BH though. Without Kim, Soundgarden never would have been as great as they were. Maybe he can get Kim for the 2nd and 3rd CD of the trilogy. hihi

Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

« Reply #154 on: February 22, 2006, 12:28:43 PM »

I have no idea.? I was always fond of his guitar work so it was sad when I read an interview from Chris Cornell where he said that Kim doesn't play much anymore.? But as a replacement for Big B, I don't think Kim could do GNR justice.? He's not technical enough, but he has an awesome style though. ok
He is an amazing guitar player. Your right, not the same style as BH though. Without Kim, Soundgarden never would have been as great as they were. Maybe he can get Kim for the 2nd and 3rd CD of the trilogy. hihi

I would definatley be down for that. ok

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #155 on: February 22, 2006, 01:07:15 PM »

Guns n Roses may not be the most dangerous band in the world, but they are definately the most dramatic.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #156 on: February 22, 2006, 01:15:37 PM »

if Axl wants someone to play Buckets parts, get Warren DeMartini. the dude is a wild guitarplayer, and I can imagine he would scrap anything else he's doing for the opportunity to play with Axl.
besides, he looks cool these days, lol.
Nuno is also an excellent choice btw.
he might also check if Jerry Cantrell is free, great guitarplayer and an awesome backupsinger!
but Im guessing he's busy with AIC + new singer thing.

i think I would vomit if Warren DeMartini was the new lead.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
SADIS
« Reply #157 on: February 22, 2006, 01:21:05 PM »

Still, and Axl knows this, if they we're to tour again WITH Slash they would rule again like in the 80's. They would be the biggest band in the world. For sure.

And Axl knows it and so does Slash.....the idea isn't that far fetched.....maybe it has been long enough to heal everything. Cos let's be honest, the new music ain't that different from the old Guns.....and old-skool GnR is what the underground bands are making these days.....old-skool GnR sound will be hot again within the next few years.....the whole idea of the Old GnR wouldn't be weird at all, it would be very logical.

Too much time went by for the Industrial GnR and now Industrial is everything but hot. It's what Guns was in '95.....

So the original GnR would make more sense then anything....
nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #158 on: February 22, 2006, 01:34:04 PM »

so no one thinks there is a chance izzy could come back?

"This isn't McDonald's or Burger King - it isn't 'Have it your way.'"
- Axl Rose, as cited by Del James
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #159 on: February 22, 2006, 01:43:48 PM »

By all accounts Izzy loves the studio BUT hates the chaos of touring, videos, promotion, etc... so I can't possibly imagine him as a "performing" member of Guns N' Roses ever again...

That being said, I personally wouldn't be SHOCKED if Izzy has heard Chinese Democracy and given a few comments... and I wouldn't be SHOCKED if after hearing CD, Izzy called Slash and said "FYI: (1) this album is pretty good; (2) not far off from the classic Guns' sound; and (3) oh by the way... they may need another lead guitarist." drool

Speculating/dreaming here- but it is one plausible way to reconcile the lingering reunion rumors with the seemingly impending release of CD and summer festival tour...

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: