Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 29, 2024, 05:10:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228131 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Would Velvet Have Done Better With Josh Todd?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Would Velvet Have Done Better With Josh Todd?  (Read 31748 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2006, 03:25:54 PM »

We are still talkin bout "Success"

would VR have been more successful so that goes straight to commercial success,touring success,musical success.

If Contraband sucked, u wouldnt have 2 number 1 singles from it.

What makes me laugh though is how when people were defending Mike Patton they used the phrase "critically acclaimed" which is hilarious cause if the critics shit on somebody u like the critics then have a weird way of not mattering.

just like when people argue with me about Bon Jovi, all of a sudden 110,000,000 albums sold, sold out arenas and stadiums everywhere,countless hit singles etc seem to NOT MATTER? for some interesting reason.

Patton Im sure is a talented guy and vocalist but Scott Weiland is a talented guy,vocalist and more famous and has more cred than Patton.

People can say what they want to about Scott Weiland but he has rock cred and radio respects the fuck out of this guy, so u can bash Scott all u want but he was and is the best choice and a huge reason VR are so successful.

Booker
Im commenting that VR wanted commercial success, had they not, they would've signed an indy label deal, wouldnt have made videos, wouldnt have toured for a year and a half.

U are acting like they wanted to be a garage band rockin out at each other's mansions on weekends and accidentally became successful.

when they formed VR I guarantee u they had being successful as a major goal. U are appearing to act like that wasnt in the equation or discussion.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
W. Botaxl Rose
Pansy
Banned
Rocker

Hi, I'm Botaxl & I like to cause riots.

« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2006, 05:26:20 PM »

A lot of u have this? MIke Patton fascination but U gotta get out of the early 90's and get into fucking reality.

Mike Patton is washed up and a nobody in today's musical circles.

With Patton, radio and national mags wouldnt have gave a shit about VR.

D, I think these comments are what people took exception to. Patton has been actively making music this whole time. He scores movies, has multiple bands, has a label, does shows, etc......Think of him as the buckethead of vocalists, an extreme talent that is maybe a little to goofy/experimental for the average music fan. He's just not that interested in being a pop star. I guarantee music mags would've been all over Patton hooking up with VR, those types know exactly who he is. Again, you never answered my question. If Patton is such a nobody/washed up/has been, then why did VR want him to audition? Obviously someone thinks highly of him in the VR camp.

With that being said, I think VR ended up with the best rock frontman they could of hoped for. Weiland has that commercial appeal while still being edgy/experimental enough to make it interesting. He's perfect for VR & I'm much happier they ended up with him instead of Patton. But at the same time I don't dis Patton because he doesn't make pop rock music or sellout arena's. That's not the only way to judge if artists are washed up or not.

Didn't you used to be Axl Rose? Yowza!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVAGh_zRiO4
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2006, 07:14:42 PM »

Washed up   by commercial standards.

I dont doubt the guy still probably makes great music, I was sayin that commercially he no longer matters therefore Im not sure VR wouldve got the same attention.

Scott had a public drug battle and court cases, is a respected frontman, so he was the better choice to front a commercial rock band.

Would CB be better with Patton? I dont know, its impossible to say one way or the other, but I think Scott was the best choice and no one else couldve made VR bigger than they are now.

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2006, 07:24:37 PM »

I feel so fucking stupid,. I grew up in the era that faith no more would have been big I remember epic (and only epic) but the name is sparking nothing for me.. I remember just about any big band's frontman freom that time in rock
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2006, 07:28:44 PM »

thats what im sayin, I listened to every rock band just about in the late 80's to mid 90's

Mike Patton is very low on the guys ive heard of list. why is that u ask?

If he is SOOOOOOOO amazing,how come a lot of people wouldnt know Mike Patton if he walked in a room with a tshirt on that said "Im Mike Patton"?

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2006, 07:31:47 PM »

thats what im sayin, I listened to every rock band just about in the late 80's to mid 90's

If he is SOOOOOOOO amazing,how come a lot of people wouldnt know Mike Patton if he walked in a room with a tshirt on that said "Im Mike Patton"?

it was living colour type fame in america...
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2006, 07:34:13 PM »

True ,but the same could be said about almost evrybady from back in the day with todays youth.

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2006, 07:35:48 PM »

True ,but the same could be said about almost evrybady from back in the day with todays youth.

he could pass myself and d too
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2006, 08:19:02 PM »

Patton Im sure is a talented guy and vocalist but Scott Weiland is a talented guy,vocalist and more famous and has more cred than Patton.

nonsense. Patton, although he hasnt had the same commercial success (you rely on this solely - any manner of terrible artists/bands could be stated if you apply this rationale), has a heck of a lot more 'cred' than Weiland.

A problem (rightly or wrongly - fairly or unfairly) thats dogged Weilands entire career, has been a lack of "cred". Initially he was seen as a poor mans Eddie Vedder, and I suspect Axls 'fraud' statement was a direct reminder of this sentiment. Dont get me wrong, I rate Weiland and believe he's the right guy for the job.

Patton however, has been skirting on the fringes of edgy, diverse, interesting and unique music for years now. Too much cred, if anything, for VR.

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2006, 05:10:23 AM »

I never understand why people get put off by a comment a musician makes?? If I like someone who gives a fuck if they say something bad about another artist I like.. That's his business...  To this day I'll don't  know if slash was there, but if he wasn't and axl made these things up then to scott he called him a fraud..
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2006, 10:06:46 PM »

Scott fucked up in the "Plush" Video rippin Vedder off a little too hard but He totally redeemed himself from that and personally I think STP own Pearl jam.

badapple81
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2006, 04:52:39 AM »

I feel so fucking stupid,. I grew up in the era that faith no more would have been big I remember epic (and only epic) but the name is sparking nothing for me.. I remember just about any big band's frontman freom that time in rock

I grew up as a kid listening to all rock music in that era too. FNM were never that huge in Australia besides of course their pop single Easy (come on it's pop!).
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2006, 07:49:56 AM »

Scott fucked up in the "Plush" Video rippin Vedder off a little too hard but He totally redeemed himself from that and personally I think STP own Pearl jam.

So how exactly did Scott "fuck up" in the video?Huh  If I recall Scott had short orange or pink hair and a goatee in that video.. I don't remember Vedder ever looking like that..  And the song doesn't sound anything like Pearl Jam or Vedder.... Anyone that ever made that comparrison was way off base.

jabba2
VIP

« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2006, 12:16:20 PM »

So how exactly did Scott "fuck up" in the video?Huh? If I recall Scott had short orange or pink hair and a goatee in that video.. I don't remember Vedder ever looking like that..? And the song doesn't sound anything like Pearl Jam or Vedder.... Anyone that ever made that comparrison was way off base.

Scott used some of Vedders mannerisms from the "Jeremy" video, thats what started comparisions, plus Plush does sound eerily simular to Pearl Jam. Its an amazing song though. It doesnt mean Scott is a fraud. He just copied Eddie's mannerisms a bit. Otherwise, I agree STP did own Pearl Jam.

Josh Todd has very little credibility outside of anywere besides MetalSludge or Blabbermouth. He is an unknown and for good reason. Mike Patton is a little more creative but he doesnt connect with the public like a Trent Reznor and Weiland or Axl Rose can.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 12:18:42 PM by jabba2 » Logged
BLS-Pride
Jack Daniel's drinkin'
Banned
Legend

Roses of Velvet Mother Fuckers.

« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2006, 05:07:26 PM »

You can bet your ass there would not be a disco feel to the new album if Josh was in Scotts shoes.

www.rosesofvelvet.com
[BLS-Pride] 10:16 pm: ron - lemmy is god.. agreed?
[Bumblefoot] 10:16 pm: Lemmy created God.
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2006, 07:04:22 PM »

I grew up as a kid listening to all rock music in that era too. FNM were never that huge in Australia besides of course their pop single Easy (come on it's pop!).

I have to disagree with you there mate, Faith No More had plenty of popular songs (aside from they're cover of Easy) in Australia - Epic, Falling To Pieces, Midlife Crisis, Ricochet, Digging The Grave, Evidence, Ashes To Ashes. They even headlined a huge festival gig in 1995 (Alternative Nation I think it was called) so they were pretty popular in their day.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2006, 07:31:08 AM »

Midlife Crisis is a great tune......

bh339
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2006, 09:26:02 AM »

Your comparing Josh Todd with Scott Weiland?  You have to be kidding.
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2006, 04:09:00 PM »

they probably would have more naked chicks and strippers at their shows and videos if josh Todd was the singer Grin
which is what is important
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2006, 07:06:45 PM »

Done better? No

Sounded more like a kick ass rock band? Yes

It was a total marketing decision.  Knowing that has always taken away a bit of VRs shine for me...it has that same corporate feeling that a put together boy band has....

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: