Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 01, 2024, 08:12:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228140 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Would Velvet Have Done Better With Josh Todd?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Would Velvet Have Done Better With Josh Todd?  (Read 31832 times)
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2006, 04:59:51 PM »

Wow. Just wow.? Shocked There's rock fans on here posting shit about Mike Patton & then using Jon Bon Jovi as an example of a great frontman. hihi hihi hihi Then not even knowing what FNM means in the middle of a Mike Patton discussion. D, you obviously don't know shit about shit, so quit posting stupid bon jovi stuff & learn how to be silent? when you don't know what you're talking about. This board website never ceases to amaze me with other peoples stupidity.

I have to agree.? Mike Pattons name garners respect.? The man owns his own record label (Ipecac).? D, I'm sorry but you have lost your mind.? The man is an Icon (thats right, icon) in music circles.? Scott and Axl have nothing on the vocal abilities of Patton.

Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2006, 07:57:22 PM »

LOL. FNM were fucking HUGE..

No offense to Mike Patton (he's fucking brilliant) or yourself, but FNM were never by any stretch of the imagination "HUGE".? If I remember correctly, no album cracked the Billboard Top 10...

To be honest, I'm not that familiar with Faith No More's chart success; the image I have is only based on what I personally saw in the early 90s. Even though I was very young at the time. But what else was there back then, besides GNR, Metallica, Nirvana and Bon Jovi? I was under the impression FNM was at the very top, right behind those bands I mentioned. I don't think saying they were huge is stretching it...

This board website never ceases to amaze me with other peoples stupidity.

Wow, I'm sincerely surprised - I actually never expected to agree with you on... anything.

Scott and Axl have nothing on the vocal abilities of Patton.

Damn straight, even though comparing to Axl is difficult because his voice is so unique. But just listen to Patton sing something like Jizzlobber or Pig Latin (with The Dillinger Escape Plan) and then I Started a Joke... simply amazing versatility.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2006, 08:24:51 PM »

Wow. Just wow.  Shocked There's rock fans on here posting shit about Mike Patton & then using Jon Bon Jovi as an example of a great frontman. hihi hihi hihi Then not even knowing what FNM means in the middle of a Mike Patton discussion. D, you obviously don't know shit about shit, so quit posting stupid bon jovi stuff & learn how to be silent  when you don't know what you're talking about. This board website never ceases to amaze me with other peoples stupidity.

I have to agree.  Mike Pattons name garners respect.  The man owns his own record label (Ipecac).  D, I'm sorry but you have lost your mind.  The man is an Icon (thats right, icon) in music circles.  Scott and Axl have nothing on the vocal abilities of Patton.

mike patton is fucking awesome, though live he doesnt really sound like he does on "the real thing" album but ill put that down to production, hes a awesome frontman. Has anyone seen the footage of him front flipping onstage at random?

Though the axl not having anything on his vocal abilites, i have to disagree, this is 80s early 90s axl im talking bout .....not the joke of today. I dont think ive heard patton do a scream like axl could live.

Scott, i used to respect the man, but having broadened my tastes and getting into more bands, he isnt that good, hes a fairly good frontman, but his vocals suck, his new image sucks and STP's first album is the only good album they did, i dont get why people love purple.

html sucks
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2006, 09:08:10 PM »

Wow. Just wow.? Shocked There's rock fans on here posting shit about Mike Patton & then using Jon Bon Jovi as an example of a great frontman. hihi hihi hihi Then not even knowing what FNM means in the middle of a Mike Patton discussion. D, you obviously don't know shit about shit, so quit posting stupid bon jovi stuff & learn how to be silent? when you don't know what you're talking about. This board website never ceases to amaze me with other peoples stupidity.

Bon jovi 110,000,000 albums sold

FNM  what 8 million?

yeah those guys were HUGE!

U p eople are hilarious.

cause u like a CD and a guys style, that doesnt make them HUGE in the whole scope of the musical landscape.

Commercially Patton aint shit and never has been shit therefore VR wouldnt have came close to the success Scott brought.

Didnt say the CD wouldnt be as good, but on a commercial level, they wouldnt have touched the success they had with Scott.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2006, 09:36:19 PM »

(on topic)........NO!!!!

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2006, 01:03:51 AM »

I was under the impression FNM was at the very top, right behind those bands I mentioned. I don't think saying they were huge is stretching it...

Again, not bashing Mike or FNM by any means but their basic claim to fame is/was the video for "Epic"? causing so much BS with PETA and a remake of Lionel Richie's "Easy"...

Hardly huge..

I liken their success to that of someone like Primus', more of a commerical 1 trick pony.? Not because of their talent mind you, I just don't think too many "got it" so to speak.? Bad timing played a part as well, they were caught somewhere between the cartoon GNR had become and the onslaught on grunge...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 02:22:48 AM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2006, 01:28:41 AM »

Check this out.

Artistically would the CD be better with Patton? Maybe

but commercially they couldnt have done better than Scott.  Slash and Duff were after commercial success.

I dont think many artists release a CD not wanting it to sell.

People talkin all this shit bout Patton this and Patton that.

How many platinum records has he had since FNM's first record?'

case closed

The Numbers dont lie man.

W. Botaxl Rose
Pansy
Banned
Rocker

Hi, I'm Botaxl & I like to cause riots.

« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2006, 02:10:28 AM »

Check this out.

Artistically would the CD be better with Patton? Maybe

but commercially they couldnt have done better than Scott.? Slash and Duff were after commercial success.

I dont think many artists release a CD not wanting it to sell.

People talkin all this shit bout Patton this and Patton that.

How many platinum records has he had since FNM's first record?'

case closed

The Numbers dont lie man.

I think you're missing the point. You said that Patton was washed up & a nobody. That's what people took exception too, because it's obviously not true. And if it were true, then why did VR ask him to audition? Stick to your dork rock & as your hero bonjovi would say, "have a nice day".  peace

Didn't you used to be Axl Rose? Yowza!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVAGh_zRiO4
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2006, 02:22:04 AM »

when a musician isnt in the spotlight anymore, cant sell out a concert or has no hits and no one cares about them, they are.................... u got it, they are washed up!

get into reality and stop living in your bullshit fantasy land.

U made fun of me sayin JBJ was a great frontman

the numbers dont lie.

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2006, 03:17:02 AM »

Slash and Duff were after commercial success.

Huh

You say that with some certainty, but a more accurate statement is Slash and Duff went after the overall best guy for the band.  Commercial considerations are surely made, but theres a lot more to it than just saying they were after "commercial success" as if theres any real evidence behind it. 

As for Patton being a has-been, its kind of a bogus charge when he apparently doesnt care about about that kind of thing.  As far as I know, he still does his thing and is widely critically acclaimed, similar to Pearl Jam or Neil Young.  Theyre all true artists who put their music before fame or commercial succes, so the "has-been" label is really meaningless in my view.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 03:20:31 AM by Booker Floyd » Logged
badapple81
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2006, 03:26:49 AM »

FNR were ordinary at best.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2006, 03:30:42 AM »

Slash and Duff were after commercial success.

Huh

You say that with some certainty, but a more accurate statement is Slash and Duff went after the overall best guy for the band.? Commercial considerations are surely made, but theres a lot more to it than just saying they were after "commercial success" as if theres any real evidence behind it.?

As for Patton being a has-been, its kind of a bogus charge when he apparently doesnt care about about that kind of thing.? As far as I know, he still does his thing and is widely critically acclaimed, similar to Pearl Jam or Neil Young.? Theyre all true artists who put their music before fame or commercial succes, so the "has-been" label is really meaningless in my view.

Slash and Duff wanted success.

if they wanted to be artsy small club band they wouldve just grabbed Izzy and did theaters.

They wanted the best guy who could make them a Big Time band. Slash wanted to be in a big time band again.

u are right Patton is a "neverwas"

I am not talkin about nor do i give 2 fucks about "Critical acclaim"

we are talkin bout success

read the thread title and NO, VR would not have done Better with either of those guys over Scott.

they wouldnt have won a grammy, would not have gonemulti platinum and wouldnt have had 2 number 1 rock singles.

U patton followers drive me crazy.

what the fuck has he ever done?
Please!!!!!!!! someone tell me.

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2006, 03:59:59 AM »

Slash and Duff wanted success.

if they wanted to be artsy small club band they wouldve just grabbed Izzy and did theaters.

Thats a wild oversimplification. 

Im sure they wanted success, but they also wanted to form a great band.  That meant having a real lead singer and Scott is the obvious choice.  But your statement that commercial success was their #1 priority is baseless. 

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2006, 04:06:49 AM »

Udont think they wanted commercial success?

u think they formed VR thinking........ Who cares if this sucks???

Wasnt it the positive reaction from the randy Castillo benefit that made them come back together?  Of course they wanted success, why the hell wouldnt they want success?

the main goal was to be in a band but im sure they picked their singer based on how great the singer could make the band which is why Stripper girl didnt get it.

To say a band forms without the goal of success is being prettygullable and naive.

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2006, 04:59:08 AM »

A better question is if you actually bother to read the posts you quote.

Udont think they wanted commercial success?

Im sure they wanted success

u think they formed VR thinking........ Who cares if this sucks???

they also wanted to form a great band

Wasnt it the positive reaction from the randy Castillo benefit that made them come back together?

Now whats the positive reaction of a live audience have to do with commercial success? 

the main goal was to be in a band but im sure they picked their singer based on how great the singer could make the band which is why Stripper girl didnt get it.

Thanks for reiterating my exact point.
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2006, 05:22:54 AM »

I was under the impression FNM was at the very top, right behind those bands I mentioned. I don't think saying they were huge is stretching it...

Again, not bashing Mike or FNM by any means but their basic claim to fame is/was the video for "Epic"? causing so much BS with PETA and a remake of Lionel Richie's "Easy"...

Hardly huge..

I liken their success to that of someone like Primus', more of a commerical 1 trick pony.? Not because of their talent mind you, I just don't think too many "got it" so to speak.? Bad timing played a part as well, they were caught somewhere between the cartoon GNR had become and the onslaught on grunge...

youre right to a point? - however they remained huge, thats right huge in Europe and Down under right until the end. And 'one trick poney'? Hardly - one of the reasons they didnt have sustained success (in the US at least) was because their albums are so diverse - they never made the same record twice, and hence alienated the more casual of fans.

And for those saying Patton is washed up? Heard of Tomahawk, Fantomas, Bjork duets etc?
Sure, not commercial, but vital and interesting rock music - on the fringes where he prefers it..

And what's Patton ever done? He had this little band called Faith No More, and they were one of the greatest of their era - overlooked, but great nonetheless
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 05:30:54 AM by jimmythegent » Logged

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2006, 06:01:51 AM »

I only remember one song being big in the united states and that was epic.. I remember that fish flopping around in the video and the piano playing at the end... Commercially from what I remember they were more of a one hit wonder here.. That doesn't negate talent, just saying HUGE is GNR, AC/dc Metallica, aerosmith nirvana, not faith no more..
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2006, 08:38:38 AM »

Commercially from what I remember they were more of a one hit wonder here

Dunno, maybe they were just bigger in Europe then. Besides Epic they had Easy, From Out of Nowhere and Midlife Crisis. Plus to a smaller degree: Digging the Grave, A Small Victory, Evidence, Falling to Pieces, Ashes to Ashes, etc...

Whether they were huge or not is just semantics anyway. If some of you reserve the word only for bands of such extreme magnitude as AC/DC and Metallica, that's fine.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2006, 08:59:14 AM »

Faith No more opened for GNR in 92. THey were /are more than a one hit wonder band.? Back in the day, GNR, Metallica, Nirvana, PJ and Bon Jovi were huge, Faith No More had one hit, but a pretty big fan-base. I remember I would listen to this band before they toured with GNR.

I think the reason why FNM didn't really become as big as Soundgarden is because they really didn't belong to any movement. I saw SG and FNM in 92 and the crowed got much more excited with FNM. Soundgarden were a part of the grunge scene. That pretty much secured their success.

As for Josh Todd, I never liked him. There's no way VR would've done better with him than with Scott. Weiland had the appearance, charisma and success. As a frontman, he beats Todd in at least 9 out 10 categories.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2006, 01:12:58 PM »

And 'one trick poney'? Hardly..

Notice I said commercial one trick pony..no slight to their talent

one of the reasons they didnt have sustained success (in the US at least) was because their albums are so diverse - they never made the same record twice, and hence alienated the more casual of fans.

Again noted with this: "I just don't think too many "got it" so to speak"..

I'll qualify my statement, never huge in North America...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: