Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 03:29:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The "Welcome To The Jungle: The Very Best of Guns N' Roses" thread
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 69 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The "Welcome To The Jungle: The Very Best of Guns N' Roses" thread  (Read 185852 times)
badapple81
« Reply #780 on: November 18, 2005, 04:03:27 AM »

D you make good points, especially the releasing a single and video first.

I didn't say they would sue, obviously they wouldn't after last time. I just thought they would make some sort of comment in an interview or something. Saying that, I don't think they have done any for a while.

I just think Axl has done so much to protect and keep the project in secrecy, so I can imagine him doing something like this to disguise it until some big announcement or something.. meh.. im just dreaming  hihi

How many Aerosmith GH have been released? About as many as The Doors I think!  hihi

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #781 on: November 18, 2005, 04:08:03 AM »

I just want to help save some of u from a big disappointment.

Personally I love the whole secret thing.

I think music is released too formulatic these days.

First week sales are everything and I think that sucks.

CD wouldnt sell real well first week due to lack of promotion but they could release the single/video the day the CD is released and word of mouth would spread like crazy.

People wouldnt be able to download it before it was released and it wouldnt suffer from some haters negative review.

I love the idea and I wish more than anything it would be so, but Im just sayin, dont get your hopes up.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #782 on: November 18, 2005, 04:31:48 AM »

I can't imagine why some people think this is a cover up for CD. I'm like the other guys around here. Don't get your hopes up. I don't want you to get disappointed when Dec. 20 comes and you find out Universal just released a best of as it was planned.

If CD was to be released, I am pretty sure we would now about it. Not only us, real hardcore GN'R fans. But the whole world. They would have ads every-fuckin-where. Come on now, the most anticipated rock album of all times, 14 years in the making (since the release of UYI, for the non hardcore fans that was the last big release of GN'R), +10 millions of $ invested by Geffen/ Universal, and you seriously think they would release it under a different name to...make a surprise...? When CD is released, this is gonna be insane. You will see GN'R everywhere.

I, for one, would love to see CD released and to finally listen to it, but I'm fairly sure it will not be this time. Call me names if you want, it won't change anything. I admit it is strange that no band member is fighting this and that Merck doesn't comment about this, but the title only is too "old GN'R" for me. Why would they use an old song to cover up the new album or to hint at CD? I guess they would have used a more "secretive" title, maybe even something inspired by The Da Vinci Code or something...

WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #783 on: November 18, 2005, 04:50:13 AM »

i don`t get my hopes up on this cover up theory, but i think the whole situation is very weird. i mean, which songs do they want to release on the "bonus cd"Huh geffen released a greatest hits allready. imo they have to release some new or unreleased songs on it, because otherwise noone would buy it. the hardcore fan would just boycott it and the casual music fan has the greatest hits allready.......      i think this all is very weird shit.....like it`s always with gnr....

the only thing that makes me wondering if it`s actually a cover-up for CD, is tommy`s last comment about the news that are probably coming soon, but he can`t say anything because there`s nothing he can tell for sure....

and i think it`s also opssible that the release date gets postponned after a while i think...

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
thelostrose
Rocker

For Promotional Use Only...

« Reply #784 on: November 18, 2005, 04:56:18 AM »

I just think Axl has done so much to protect and keep the project in secrecy, so I can imagine him doing something like this to disguise it until some big announcement or something.. meh.. im just dreaming? hihi

remember axl saying, that the internet is a big garbage can?

it would be a very strange idea if it's a cover up, but i think it fits axl and all his privacy during the last couple of years!

...this melody inside of me still searches for solution...
anythinggoes
« Reply #785 on: November 18, 2005, 04:57:12 AM »

Call me names if you want, it won't change anything.

non believer ?hihi
Warren
« Reply #786 on: November 18, 2005, 05:00:31 AM »

Axl's project is doomed.

Without Slash and Izzy, GN'R is a mess.
Hypird
Headliner

Hanoi Rocks

« Reply #787 on: November 18, 2005, 05:19:09 AM »

there is some other "big" releases in 20th
Santa Monica, California, November 4, 2005 ? Geffen Records will release Mary J. Blige?s seventh album, ?The Breakthrough,? on December 20, 2005.

"Just because I don?t sleep
Doesn?t mean that I?ve stopped dreaming"
Cocaine__tongue
Axl's lawyer wannabe
Rocker

HAPPY HAPPY

« Reply #788 on: November 18, 2005, 05:24:47 AM »

May I ask for Jarmo or Mysteron's opinion on this topic?
Do you think there's any possibility for it beeing a masked Chinese Democracy release?. Would it make any sense? (it did in '91, but the situation in completely different now...).

Thanks!!

Madrid '93
Madrid '06
Bilbao '06
San Sebastian '10
London 17
Download Madrid 18
sanctified
Opening Act

« Reply #789 on: November 18, 2005, 06:15:24 AM »

nothing has been confirmed officially yet.  until that happens, it's just well-wishing.
lastroots
« Reply #790 on: November 18, 2005, 06:19:40 AM »

So, now I actually took the time to read all the way through this thread and I wanna share my opinion. As you might know, there was a time when I was the first one to jump in on such "conspiracy theories" and all, maybe just because i wanted to believe, but I guess some of you are running into a great disappointment.

Especially to all those quoting what Tommy, Richard, Dizzy recently said (not that they didn't say the same stuff all the time for years now): My theory is this:

Geffen told the band kindly that they'd have two last deadline options, Xmas or March06. After that, member started saying the little s-word again. But someone else (most likely Axl) then told Geffen "no, that's too early" or something like that. And Geffen answered "ok, but we want our fucking money back, so we'll put out another GH - deal with it".

I think this sounds way more realistic than all the cover-up stuff.

/lastroots
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #791 on: November 18, 2005, 06:45:57 AM »

One question to put this to bed.

How many Greatest Hits packages have Geffen released from Aerosmith?

The right question here would be "how many albums have Aerosmith released?".

You can't release a Greatest Hits album in 2004 (from 4 cd's) and another double cd BEST OF in 2005. There aren't so many songs to choose from. People don't know "pretty tied up" or "estranged". We know them cause we love them, but if you ask the average fan to name some GNR songs they'll name the usual ones which have already been released on the first GH album...

god of thunder
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #792 on: November 18, 2005, 07:59:41 AM »

Oh my, this gets exciting.

We still do not have an official confirmation from Geffen that there will be an album at all at this date. But if there is going to be a release:

It is madness to release a potential heavyhitter 5 days before christmas. If it really is CD, there MUST be the worlds heaviest ad campaign during this timespan to focus consumers interest. Maybe it is GnR`s goal to break all records for sales within 5 days  Grin A cd is usually bought quickly, especially before christmas since it is usually not in the pricing range where people have to think if they can afford it.
 I guess after christmas many people will be inspired to buy some new products since they spend hours in front of the TV;)

Maybe the calculation is: Creating a  highly profitable timespan for sales to prevent piracy. (Who is going to give a copied cd as a christmas present?) Attract more consumers  with christmas ad spots  and secure a number 1 chart position to get radio airplay and attention  since the first quarter of the new year is usually not overflooded with blockbuster releases.  It would be mad, but if they are lucky, coordinate everything effectively and have huge ad budget it might work.

On the other hand my guess that this is CD is at 20%. I think a quick cash cow combining Greatest Hits and the best songs of Live Era in a new box is most possible. But then the release date would make even less sense. Well maybe it is better to get a little part of christmas business then releasing another best of sometime in january/february.

Well we gonna see....
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #793 on: November 18, 2005, 08:46:19 AM »

Someone who's not a big fan like you and me. He already has bought the Greatest Hits album. How many GN'R songs does the average music fan know? 6-7-8? WTTJ, PC, SCOM, KOHD, November Rain, You Could Be Mine, Patience, Civil War, Don't Cry, that's 9...

They're all in the Greatest Hits album. Noone will buy a double cd when they can have them all in a single cd.

True, it seems very pointless to have a 2CD "Best Of" for a band that released 3.5 albums with original material.

Either they'll basically take the songs from "Live Era" and put the studio versions on the CDs. Or they could take the "Greatest Hits" CD and add the "Welcome To The Videos" DVD to the package as disc 2.

But I guess we'll get two CDs of hits and maybe next year a "Best of the best of" single CD edition.  hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #794 on: November 18, 2005, 08:56:42 AM »

chineseblue balls knows nothing thats why hes so negitive. go be negitive to your mommy or some other board cause we need to think positive around here. your aura is not becoming. We've got to get ready for CHINESE DEMOCRACY ok

Very witty reply..not. I konow for a fact that if this were indeed a cover for CD we would know about it by now. I also know for a fact that you sir are a moron. Im negative? please son do some research before you open that hole in your face.? Roll Eyes

Just for point of reference (and I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread):

Axl announced that UYI was done in late July at a show.....it came out in mid September.  6 weeks....

Again, I'm not saying this is CD...it's probably not...but to say it's completely out of the question isn't exactly true, either.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #795 on: November 18, 2005, 09:01:41 AM »

Maybe I'm being negative too, but it is a known fact that record sales are at their absolute worst from January-March.

I find it incomprehensible that the label would release arguably their biggest release of the year 5 days before Christmas heading into the slowest 3 month sales period of the year.

Like last year, the GH is a slow burn type situation that it isn't as big a deal to get out right away.

The release of CD is a once in a lifetime type situation, there is just no way it is being released in a time that traditionally doesn't sell well and will be overshadowed by the hoopla surrounding the holiday season.

It just isn't plausible.

True, and not true.

Music retailers (and retailers in general) have had a pretty strong influx of sales in the week just after X-mas.  LOTS of people give gift certificates or cash for the holidays, and that, typically, is the week they get spent.  It's not out of the question that you could drop a release there and still benefit, at least a bit, from the Holiday sales rush. 

Let's put up this hypothesis:  You're Geffen and you CD drops into your lap a little too late to actually work into your MAIN holiday release list.  Now you have 2 choices: You can wedge it in just before X-mas and MAYBE get some of the holiday business...or you can sit on it til April-ish and make zippo.

It's risky, to be sure.  But it's not insane.  And the risk may have been brought on by circumstances Geffen couldn't control.

There is lots of interesting stuff to examine, here, to be sure.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #796 on: November 18, 2005, 09:04:19 AM »

Axl announced that UYI was done in late July at a show.....it came out in mid September.? 6 weeks....

True.

But at the time, several release dates had been reported in the media before that.

I remember reading that it would be out in May, then July and finally it was released in September.

Also remember that there was a new track out in June/July 1991. Months before the album.

Most bands do release singles to radio before an album. Usually weeks before the actual album release. We haven't heard anything about that either.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #797 on: November 18, 2005, 09:07:05 AM »

Axl announced that UYI was done in late July at a show.....it came out in mid September.? 6 weeks....

True.

But at the time, several release dates had been reported in the media before that.

I remember reading that it would be out in May, then July and finally it was released in September.

Also remember that there was a new track out in June/July 1991. Months before the album.

Most bands do release singles to radio before an album. Usually weeks before the actual album release. We haven't heard anything about that either.

/jarmo

And there has been no rumored dates for CD before this??? hihi rofl

C'mon Jarmo. Cheesy Anyway, I say this is not gonna be CD but I think that the majority of people on this board wayy overestimate the amount of promotion that Albums need or get to sell well.

I'm definately curious to see how this pans out yes

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #798 on: November 18, 2005, 09:10:15 AM »

Not lately from Geffen/Universal.....

When Axl mentioned the summer in 2001, it wasn't a release date.

/jarmo

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #799 on: November 18, 2005, 09:14:48 AM »

Not lately from Geffen/Universal.....

When Axl mentioned the summer in 2001, it wasn't a release date.

/jarmo

The only date I remember reading about for Illusions was May '91. This year we've heard Feb, April, June, November and now December. I know none were official but still we're talking about rumored dates, no?

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 69 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: