Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 03:22:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The "Welcome To The Jungle: The Very Best of Guns N' Roses" thread
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 69 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The "Welcome To The Jungle: The Very Best of Guns N' Roses" thread  (Read 185834 times)
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #760 on: November 17, 2005, 10:31:51 PM »

chineseblue balls knows nothing thats why hes so negitive. go be negitive to your mommy or some other board cause we need to think positive around here. your aura is not becoming. We've got to get ready for CHINESE DEMOCRACY ok

Very witty reply..not. I konow for a fact that if this were indeed a cover for CD we would know about it by now. I also know for a fact that you sir are a moron. Im negative? please son do some research before you open that hole in your face.  Roll Eyes
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #761 on: November 17, 2005, 10:35:35 PM »

yeah, im starting to really think this is Chinese Democracy, But if its not.. Who cares.. it will be out anytime soon anyway!

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
conny
« Reply #762 on: November 17, 2005, 10:51:08 PM »

@chineseblues

I think record companies can be quite irrational and stupid, but to release a BEST OF compilation just a few days before christmas would be just plain INSANE.

Just take the circumstances (the band only had three albums, there was already live era and a greatest hits) in consideration and it would mean throwing cash money out of the window.

Whoever bought the GH will not buy the BEST OF now - because they don't want more or if they want more, they probably already have the albums.

Whoever NOT bought the GH will not buy the BEST OF now - because they don't give a fuck or are fans who own the albums of the band.

AND: if the GH really sold so well as they say, then it probably STILL sells nice, especially around christmas - so why compete or re-hash with another at THIS point in time, just a few days before christmas?

A compilation is to gain new fans, but in reality most compilation buyers do NOT buy the albums and stick with their hits package. That means with every compilation, fewer original albums and prior compilations sell. Do the math. It's not making money, it's losing money.

A best of it just makes no sense at this time. OK, maybe my CD theory doesn't make any more sense either.

But that BEST OF thing - nah, I just don't buy it.

If we don't see the cover artwork and tracklist for the Best Of on amazon.com by late November/ early December, I think it's about time to chill the fuckin champagne to salute CHINESE DEMOCRACY!

beer
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 10:54:26 PM by conny » Logged
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #763 on: November 17, 2005, 11:19:52 PM »

Maybe I'm being negative too, but it is a known fact that record sales are at their absolute worst from January-March.

I find it incomprehensible that the label would release arguably their biggest release of the year 5 days before Christmas heading into the slowest 3 month sales period of the year.

Like last year, the GH is a slow burn type situation that it isn't as big a deal to get out right away.

The release of CD is a once in a lifetime type situation, there is just no way it is being released in a time that traditionally doesn't sell well and will be overshadowed by the hoopla surrounding the holiday season.

It just isn't plausible.
rainX
« Reply #764 on: November 17, 2005, 11:22:26 PM »

@chineseblues

I think record companies can be quite irrational and stupid, but to release a BEST OF compilation just a few days before christmas would be just plain INSANE.

Just take the circumstances (the band only had three albums, there was already live era and a greatest hits) in consideration and it would mean throwing cash money out of the window.

Whoever bought the GH will not buy the BEST OF now - because they don't want more or if they want more, they probably already have the albums.

Whoever NOT bought the GH will not buy the BEST OF now - because they don't give a fuck or are fans who own the albums of the band.

AND: if the GH really sold so well as they say, then it probably STILL sells nice, especially around christmas - so why compete or re-hash with another at THIS point in time, just a few days before christmas?

A compilation is to gain new fans, but in reality most compilation buyers do NOT buy the albums and stick with their hits package. That means with every compilation, fewer original albums and prior compilations sell. Do the math. It's not making money, it's losing money.

A best of it just makes no sense at this time. OK, maybe my CD theory doesn't make any more sense either.

But that BEST OF thing - nah, I just don't buy it.

If we don't see the cover artwork and tracklist for the Best Of on amazon.com by late November/ early December, I think it's about time to chill the fuckin champagne to salute CHINESE DEMOCRACY!

beer

yeah, because nothing has ever happened  before in the GNR world that is just plain INSANE.

You chill that champagne with your "sp1at 2005" buddies and while you are crying, just make sure not to blame Axl, cuz you made this shit up in your own head.

jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #765 on: November 17, 2005, 11:29:20 PM »

Maybe I'm being negative too, but it is a known fact that record sales are at their absolute worst from January-March.

I find it incomprehensible that the label would release arguably their biggest release of the year 5 days before Christmas heading into the slowest 3 month sales period of the year.

Like last year, the GH is a slow burn type situation that it isn't as big a deal to get out right away.

The release of CD is a once in a lifetime type situation, there is just no way it is being released in a time that traditionally doesn't sell well and will be overshadowed by the hoopla surrounding the holiday season.

It just isn't plausible.

their biggest release of the year?

Come on man, thats just not the case.

CD is an unknown quantity - this is not UYI. At best they can hope for solid sales but it is not going to break records unless it gains a lot of momentum. Its not going to be a blockbuster release as in straight out of the gate it sells millions.

Im liking alot of the positivity about this, and as crazy as it sounds, this could be it.? To me, the telling thjing is that if it were a Best of, then it would make much more sense to release it earlier than Dec 20, much moreson than releasing CD on this date.

Also, why no comment from Slash/Duff???

I smell an eleborate anti-piracy cover.....

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
Jonx
VIP

Mad At Nascar

« Reply #766 on: November 17, 2005, 11:30:41 PM »

Basically we know shit, at least we dont have to wait too long to find out what it really is!

Jonx
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #767 on: November 17, 2005, 11:35:07 PM »

It just isn't plausible.

their biggest release of the year?

Come on man, thats just not the case.

CD is an unknown quantity - this is not UYI. At best they can hope for solid sales but it is not going to break records unless it gains a lot of momentum. Its not going to be a blockbuster release as in straight out of the gate it sells millions.

Im liking alot of the positivity about this, and as crazy as it sounds, this could be it.? To me, the telling thjing is that if it were a Best of, then it would make much more sense to release it earlier than Dec 20, much moreson than releasing CD on this date.

Also, why no comment from Slash/Duff???

I smell an eleborate anti-piracy cover.....

Agree alot with your words.. A new GH just dont make any sence at all... i guess they rather would have released DVD`s or anything else if they whanted to Milk GNR products any more.. Like "Making Fucking Videos"
There is something spookie about this..

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
conny
« Reply #768 on: November 17, 2005, 11:40:24 PM »

@ rainX

For the record: I have nothing to do with sp1lat and I never said I know anything - of course this is all "just me", I never stated otherwise.

I understand your frustration, but look how far it got you...

THINK POSITIVE!

peace

VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #769 on: November 18, 2005, 01:12:35 AM »

i really think its just going to be a best of.... no new songs... but i still get my hopes up over just about every rumor.. anyway does anyone think this could be the begining of the promotion for cd?   i don't know anything about the biz..just a fan.. but i think putting the new songs they played in 02 (except silkworms) on a greatest hits cd  would be a good way to test the waters.. and start a gnr buzz...like everyone says.. greatest hits cds are suppose to be cash cows.. so the record company wouldnt be risking much by adding four new songs to the greatest hits package...even release the bues maybe as a single...  if it flops...no big deal.. they didn't spend anything on promotion.. and it wasn' CD.. just a greatest hits  disk with a few new tunes... and we wait another 5 years for cd....but if it does well. suddenly the mainstream public will be aware that gnr is back and releasing new material.. i don't think this disk will be CD but i'm hoping that CD starts dec 20th
Luigi
VIP

You Never Know

« Reply #770 on: November 18, 2005, 02:06:31 AM »

Something good will happen soon! yes

A Lesson Learned is Life at its Best
thelostrose
Rocker

For Promotional Use Only...

« Reply #771 on: November 18, 2005, 02:08:57 AM »

so what we've got? 4 1/2 albums worth of material (TSI counts for the universal, even if it's just an album of covers).
so what we get? 2 albums as the very best of.

something doesn't make sense. as someone previously said, that this would be insane, for sure. especially at the mentioned release date. 4 days before christmas, no one gonna buy it, unless...

A ...it features either CD1: best of, CD2: unreleased stuff from the a4d/uyi-sessions.
B ...it is CD in disguise.

if we don't see any details til the beginning of december, then somethings going on...

...this melody inside of me still searches for solution...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #772 on: November 18, 2005, 03:05:08 AM »

Everyone stop getting excited.

the record label will release a GH volume 2 and as the voice of reason I will tell u why.

Axl is about 12-15 million dollars into the record label.

We know those bastards are greedy and are gonna try to recoup that money.

GH's 1 has sold 2.5 million in the US, and GH albums are so inexpensive to make they easily made back that 12 million with Greatest Hits Alone.

if it sold 2.5 in the US, u can guarantee it sold at least 8 million worldwide.

So they've made back Axl's advance.

Facts are it was a horrible tracklist.

U still have some very great GNR songs to put on GH's 2, the label will make more money and it will allow Axl to finish what he started.

Plus this is a great Idea.

U all act like everyone owns AFD,Lies and UYI

this isnt so.

There are soooooooooo many new music fans out there who have never heard Coma or Estranged, or Locomotive or any of the true great GNR tracks.

Now through this, they will get to become true GNR fans and be exposed to the entire catalog which will only help out Chinese Democracy whenever its released.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #773 on: November 18, 2005, 03:15:04 AM »

U all act like everyone owns AFD,Lies and UYI

this isnt so.

There are soooooooooo many new music fans out there who have never heard Coma or Estranged, or Locomotive or any of the true great GNR tracks.

Now through this, they will get to become true GNR fans and be exposed to the entire catalog which will only help out Chinese Democracy whenever its released.

Meh, considering so many people bought the GH.... you really think that there are THAT many people out there that don't own the original albums, or the Greatest Hits, that are willing to buy a DOUBLE CD (that's not being promoted)?

If I own the Greatest Hits, I'm not forking over money to buy a "Best of" a year later.  If I own a few of the old albums, I might as well just finish off the collection.

It's not Chinese Democracy, and it's not a good idea either.  They may come out a few bucks ahead by releasing this and that's all.
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #774 on: November 18, 2005, 03:36:07 AM »

Ok, think about it for a bit.

Someone who's not a big fan like you and me. He already has bought the Greatest Hits album. How many GN'R songs does the average music fan know? 6-7-8? WTTJ, PC, SCOM, KOHD, November Rain, You Could Be Mine, Patience, Civil War, Don't Cry, that's 9...

They're all in the Greatest Hits album. Noone will buy a double cd when they can have them all in a single cd.

My guess is that this is a cover for Chinese Democracy. Too much silence from both sides and so many hints from the band members...

I'm told there may be news on the GNR front coming soon, but til it's formal and written in at least pencil my lips are sealed.
Sorry........Stay tuned.

Tommy Stinson
September 2005
[/b]
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 03:39:01 AM by Christos AG » Logged

Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #775 on: November 18, 2005, 03:37:20 AM »

Oh, and one more thing...

Why would Universal Japan reissue Greatest Hits in January when they know they'll have a double Best Of album coming in December?

Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #776 on: November 18, 2005, 03:41:49 AM »

There are new music fans born everyday. Will they all buy this best of album cause it has a song they've never heard about?

They can have all they know about in the single Greatest Hits album, why pay more for a double album?

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #777 on: November 18, 2005, 03:48:35 AM »

I love the whole conspiracy idea, in fact a couple years ago I think i was one of the first ones to come up with a release strategy like that, but honestly, I dont know, this isnt 1991 anymore, I dont know if just having it on the shelf would be the proper way to go.

I just think Geffen/sanctuary will do everything possible to capitalize off Chinese Democracy, this has been their Flagship album for more than a decade and I dont think they would release it without promotion.

U gotta remember also that record labels profit off the first CD sold in a greatest hits package.

Studio albums they have to sell to make a profit due to promotion,videos,studio time, paying the artist the upfront recording bonus.

With a greatest hits, u own the masters, production costs are minimal and if they could sell 500,000 to just the hardcore fans, they would make a bundle.

I think it would be a great idea though to cover for CD However, Im not getting my hopes up and business wise, im not sure if that would be the best release strategy to have for it either.

This is the make or break CD for Axl, I cant see him letting it get released under the radar.

badapple81
« Reply #778 on: November 18, 2005, 03:51:38 AM »

Christos AG.. I share your thoughts and hopes on this being Chinese Democracy.

We haven't heard much from the former band members about the new package, I would have thought they would have some comments about it (even if they can't take action as they lost last time).

There were rumours CD would be a double CD, possibly with a rerecorded AFD or bonus tracks etc.

Mysteron has been quiet, hasn't he?

It doesn't make sense to release a GH on Dec 20, too close to Xmas for gift buying. And people who want it for themselves will have empty pockets that week!

The only thing is, surely they would release a single first? ?Undecided
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #779 on: November 18, 2005, 03:56:55 AM »

One question to put this to bed.

How many Greatest Hits packages have Geffen released from Aerosmith?

Labels do this shit all the time, A major CD wont be released without a single/video and promotion, too much money is on the line.

Only advantage I could see by doin a release like this would be the shock factor, being innovative PLUS getting a heads up on Bootleggers.

Another greatest hits package doesnt need much promotion because they arent tryin to break sells records, they are just wanting to capitalize off Greatest hits success and squeeze a few more dollars out of the back catalog

reason u arent hearing anything from the band members is because they sued and failed the first time, so why the fuck would they sue again? they know they cant win.

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 69 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: