Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 04:19:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The "Welcome To The Jungle: The Very Best of Guns N' Roses" thread
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 69 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The "Welcome To The Jungle: The Very Best of Guns N' Roses" thread  (Read 185876 times)
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #680 on: November 17, 2005, 12:08:20 PM »

I agree that GNR may be changing the label.

Even if that is the case do you really think they are just going to let Axl walk out the door with all the material he has recorded on their dime the past 10 years? I just can't see it.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #681 on: November 17, 2005, 12:15:26 PM »

Still no word at retail on this.

In addition, nothing at Amazon.

Pilferk, I seem to recall you knowing the answer to this question (well, these types) - what would be the theoretical deadline to submit advertising for a product that goes on sale Dec 20th? (Which I assume ads would run in the Sunday, Dec 18th flyers for)

-darknemus

Depends on the store.  Big retailer (WalMart, Best Buy, etc)?  Probably about now, with a rush on it.  But I think that would be a squeaker on time.

Smaller chain store (like the one where my PR and Marketing friend works)...past already.  It would have had to have been submitted sometime earlier this month, I think (I'll double check and correct if I'm wrong).

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #682 on: November 17, 2005, 12:17:00 PM »

Chin Dem seems more unlikely than ever...

Or more likely than ever....

Does anyone remember the EXACT title they "used" to mask the UYI albums??

I'm not saying it IS CD (it probably isn't)...but I just refuse to categorically rule out that it isn't CD.

Together again,
darknemus
I lost my threads and all I got was this lousy title
Legend

A true fan - no, not that 'truefan' (where is he?)

« Reply #683 on: November 17, 2005, 12:18:26 PM »

Pilferk, what WAS the UYI cover title?  I actually forgot.  Guess its the whole getitng older thing.  (Which sucks, by the way.)

-darknemus

It's not how you're thinking, or as you've imagined
To live in a shade of beliefs that were fashioned
to leave you in slavery and drain out your soul....
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #684 on: November 17, 2005, 12:20:28 PM »

Pilferk, what WAS the UYI cover title?? I actually forgot.? Guess its the whole getitng older thing.? (Which sucks, by the way.)

-darknemus

I don't remember, either.? I'm trying to google it now.

Edit: I can't seem to find it.? I did see, interestingly, that on July 29th of 91, Axl said at a show that he and Slash finished the album the day prior.? About 6 weeks later...UYI was released.? I seem to remember that sometime in late June or early July was when the GH (not sure if it was simply GH or something else..but it was a GH album whatever it was called) listing showed up to cover for UYI.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 12:37:55 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
thelostrose
Rocker

For Promotional Use Only...

« Reply #685 on: November 17, 2005, 12:36:31 PM »

Pilferk, what WAS the UYI cover title?  I actually forgot.  Guess its the whole getitng older thing.  (Which sucks, by the way.)

-darknemus

I don't remember, either.  I'm trying to google it now.

the cover-up title was "greatest hits".

...this melody inside of me still searches for solution...
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #686 on: November 17, 2005, 12:41:39 PM »

I was looking too for the rumored title of the UYI albums

and in my searching i found an article from Circus, dated Dec 1991, named Guns N' Roses' Year Of Painful Living here's part of it

the albums were not yet ready - and would not be throughout the tour's first leg - did not mitigate Axl's condition. The hounded singer grew used to barking that the new material would be ready "when it was ready." Rumor had it there were more tunes he wanted to record, and from the stage at one show Axl announced the Illusion set might not hit store shelves at all if the band didn't win contract adjustments from Geffen.

The record company's guestimated release date of May 18th was breached, and a dozen more balks were to follow. Half the band's show comprised of unfamiliar songs, whose choruses were catchy yet, after only one listen, nearly impossible to recall.

"I can't believe those poor guys being out there out there on the road without a record," Sammy Hagar told Circus magazine. Hagar's Van Halen gave the Guns tour its only run for the money this summer. "I understand Axl's having a real hard time. When they play their new songs, there's not much reaction, but what do you expect? It's like they're kind of stuck."

Worse, Axl seemed to enjoy an ongoing game of chicken with the clock. Fans in Tennessee, New York, and Texas were all kept waiting more than two hours past ticket time.

"I'm sorry I'm late," Axl said as he arrived at Long Island's Nassau Coliseumon June 17th, dismounting a helicopter that rushed him from a Manhattan hotel. The singer explained himself from the stage, lashing out at Geffen records and Rolling Stone magazine for forcing him to sit for a long photo shoot. (He didn't mention said photo shoot occured a full day earlier.)

Sounds kinda familiar no? I wonder if Axl's trying to pull the same shit and not giving in.

The whole article is here http://www.stormpages.com/brownstone/articles/1991/gnryearof.html

Just thought it seemed relvant to the current situation as we know it

anythinggoes
« Reply #687 on: November 17, 2005, 12:55:23 PM »

How about a poll to see who thinks this Best of CD is

A CD in Disguise
B A best of Album
C Not real
SINSHINE
VIP

"I knew the storm was getting closer!"

« Reply #688 on: November 17, 2005, 12:55:38 PM »

I don't think that is viable only because Geffen could release GH2 if they want AND keep the masters for CD. They gain nothing in the scenario you laid out.

It would be one thing if they really wanted to release GH2 and needed Axl to sign off on it to do so. The fact they don't gives them no reason to barter with him in terms of releasing GH2 and then letting him go.

The label is essentially milking the cow from every direction at Axl's expense. He has no one to blame but himself, but I guess you let these situations develop when you refuse to release music.

Under no circumstances will the label ever let him walk out the door with the masters for CD. They might let him out of his contract at some point, but it won't be with the last 10 years of material in hand. Anyone with any business sense knows that.

I understand Geffen needs no permission to release the GH album...BUT...and correct me if I'm wrong, by doing so, isn't Geffen 'using up' contractual album slots? Wouldn't that be making it easier for Axl to end his contract with them if (and I guess we all assume they are) things are not going so smoothly between the two entities? I realize that Geffen just wants the $$$ (as that is there business), but don't you think they'd rather Axl being playing ball with them for the eventual Chinese Democracy era? If they've put out a double live cd, a greatest hits and now a double 'best of' album all from 3 and a half albums worth of the band's original material, can you imagine what they might be able to produce from the rumoured 3 future albums (not to mention the re-recorded appetite album)? I'm sorry, but all that spells *cha-fuckin'-ching!* to me and if I was Geffen, I would certainly want my hand in all of that than to have Axl walk away when his contract is up.

"You could have a steam train...if you'd just lay down your tracks!" - P. Gabriel
darknemus
I lost my threads and all I got was this lousy title
Legend

A true fan - no, not that 'truefan' (where is he?)

« Reply #689 on: November 17, 2005, 12:58:25 PM »

Sinshine, like I stated earlier, I'm pretty sure Axl can't "walk away" from his contract with Geffen until he delivers an album of "new material" - I'm googling to try to find details of that agreeement now.  I read about it a LONG time ago, so it could be wrong.

-darknemus

It's not how you're thinking, or as you've imagined
To live in a shade of beliefs that were fashioned
to leave you in slavery and drain out your soul....
madagas
« Reply #690 on: November 17, 2005, 01:19:13 PM »

Neemo, that is a good article and actually strengthens my point...Axl was not happy with Geffen then and probably isn't now! Sanctuary is only a mouthpiece for Axl-NOTHING more. Thus, AXL/Sanctuary and Geffen don't see eye to eye-see the first GH fiasco. Simply put, if Axl had given them an album years ago, none of this would be happening. That is how he is at the center of it. And lastly, EVERYTHING on this board is speculation-no shit Sherlock! hihi
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #691 on: November 17, 2005, 01:37:33 PM »

Simply put, if Axl had given them an album years ago, none of this would be happening.

Axl was not happy with Geffen then hihi I reckon.
Lesty
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #692 on: November 17, 2005, 01:43:06 PM »

Still no word at retail on this.

In addition, nothing at Amazon.

Pilferk, I seem to recall you knowing the answer to this question (well, these types) - what would be the theoretical deadline to submit advertising for a product that goes on sale Dec 20th? (Which I assume ads would run in the Sunday, Dec 18th flyers for)

-darknemus

Depends on the store.? Big retailer (WalMart, Best Buy, etc)?? Probably about now, with a rush on it.? But I think that would be a squeaker on time.

Smaller chain store (like the one where my PR and Marketing friend works)...past already.? It would have had to have been submitted sometime earlier this month, I think (I'll double check and correct if I'm wrong).

I don't know where the Dec. 20th date came from, but if they wanted to release it, this is still possible. I work in advertising for a major retailer and our ad is still in the final stages. It would be tight, but theorertically, we could work with the printers to make art changes if needed.
With that being said, I would be shocked if it came out this week.
There's really nothing coming out after Dec. 13th.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #693 on: November 17, 2005, 01:43:43 PM »

Neemo, that is a good article and actually strengthens my point...Axl was not happy with Geffen then and probably isn't now! Sanctuary is only a mouthpiece for Axl-NOTHING more. Thus, AXL/Sanctuary and Geffen don't see eye to eye-see the first GH fiasco. Simply put, if Axl had given them an album years ago, none of this would be happening. That is how he is at the center of it. And lastly, EVERYTHING on this board is speculation-no shit Sherlock! hihi

rofl rofl rofl yeah but some people just talk like what they say is gospel. Truth is we don't know shit so don't say stuff like "Axl is a head case and that's why the album isn't out". We've all read articles about "Axl's mental issues". That's all i was trying to say. It just gets old hearing time and time again that "Axl isn't happy with CD" and "he's afraid of it flopping cuz he's manic depressive"

That site has tonnes of old GnR articles and I've been browsing ones from '89-91 and i see no mention of a rumored title for UYI's other than "GnR Sucks" and "BUY Product" both names appear on HTGTH history section. Personally i don't remember any rumored names, but that was along time ago. (I have trouble remebering what i did last night hihi )

As early as January 1991 It was called UYI's. An interview with Slash from the same site: http://www.stormpages.com/brownstone/articles/1991/therollingstone.html

Quote from: Slash
Well, okay, then let's talk about the new album. Why is it called 'Use Your Illusion'?
It's the title of a painting by some controversial artist. I don't know who. I've never heard of him. I don't keep up with art circles. But that's the name of this painting that Axl bought, and he said, "Let's make this the cover of the album." Like the last album cover, we just said, "Fine," no discussion.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 01:49:23 PM by Neemo » Logged

GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #694 on: November 17, 2005, 02:05:02 PM »

What a fu(ked up situation it is - at least that's the impression you get as a fan of GN'R.

Once the biggest band in the world yet now you get bands who tour local pubs who communicate more globally?!  Is the reason that Axl has nothing to tell his fans that there is nothing to tell us?  No new songs on the horizon?  Nobody wants to believe that but that's the most likely scenario in my opinion, sadly.

The version of events I would prefer to believe (and subconsciously cling to) is that Axl is 'waiting' for a change of circumstances (e.g. changing labels).  Even if he is waiting for a change of circumstance it could be one of the many and varied (though mostly rumoured) personal issues he has with, well, everything.

It all begs the question - why the hell do I (or any one else) bother?!!  confused

The reason is that we want Axl to kick our MF asses into the next millenium and I for one have my buttocks poised for that moment!  beer

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
Luigi
VIP

You Never Know

« Reply #695 on: November 17, 2005, 02:07:14 PM »

We all know Axl is fine, what we don't know is why those rumors are started, they come from inside somewhere, prob Geffen. 

A Lesson Learned is Life at its Best
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #696 on: November 17, 2005, 02:12:37 PM »

i would still not rule out CD! It might be here very soon!  ok

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
Luigi
VIP

You Never Know

« Reply #697 on: November 17, 2005, 02:22:10 PM »

Well, I live 20 minutes from Malibu, I could run over to Axl's and ask whats up! Just kidding, its not in me to do something like that, but I know girls that would. yes   

A Lesson Learned is Life at its Best
banachkevin
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #698 on: November 17, 2005, 02:28:10 PM »

I hope this is a fucking joke i dont know what i will do if this fucking greatest hits 2 comes out instead of chines dem. i will more than likly buy it cause iam a sucker and will buy anything new from guns n roses even thow its nothing new.
But what if its a cover up and AXL is trying to say that democracy is the best songs he's done, meaning "guns n roses greatest hit you know what iam saying?

Vancouver2002,Edmonton2006,Saskatoon2010,Las Vegas2012,Las Vegas 2014,Toronto 2016
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #699 on: November 17, 2005, 02:29:54 PM »

I don't know where the Dec. 20th date came from, but if they wanted to release it, this is still possible. I work in advertising for a major retailer and our ad is still in the final stages. It would be tight, but theorertically, we could work with the printers to make art changes if needed.
With that being said, I would be shocked if it came out this week.
There's really nothing coming out after Dec. 13th.

Good.  That's pretty much what I thought...

So, if they're gonna do it..they're gonna need to do it just about now-ish...or very close to now-ish.

Together again,
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 69 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: