Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 03:43:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228111 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Philosophical question of the month- May
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Philosophical question of the month- May  (Read 6595 times)
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2006, 08:00:41 AM »

not everything is subjective.

sweet child o' mine is simply better objectively than, say, mary had a little lamb.

not to a 3 year old Wink

Bad example. I was listening to mary had a little lamb. Change the comparison to "Sweet Child Vs The Sound of A Schoolbus Backing Up" Or even better "scom vs silence"

Just because someone says they consider something good does not make it so. Its just an opinion. Opinions are not infallable. "In my opinion 2+2=6" Its bullshit no matter how you package it.

If you follow that trend that comes from saying "I consider X beatiful. Therefore X is beautiful." You get some pretty disturbing outcomes.

Nevermind if you take it even further and say, "I consider Y good/fat/old/green/incandescent. Therefore Y is good/fat/old/green/incandescent". Its an impossible situation if you run it through to its conclusion.

It is simply someone stating an opinion on something and my point is that opinion does not outweigh certain standards. Obviously beauty comes down to the eye of the beholder in 99.9% of cases where it is applied. But the question of the month is "Is everything that one considers beautiful subjective, or is there a standard?"

If you say that beauty is 100% in the eye of the beholder then you have to accept some incredibly strange, impossible conclusions. Therefore i cant.

(at the begining of this topic i promised myself i wouldn't start spouting shite. One friendly reply later and i'm off......"
Sin Cut
Lovegun
Legend

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2006, 08:01:50 AM »

A nazi may find the holocaust beautiful so its definitely subjective.

There are people who jack off to beastiality so that answers that.

Being beautiful is different than being hot and sexy however.

Beautiful is the entire package of brains,personality,looks,soul... my woman for instance is beautiful.

Girls in 2 piece thongs with hot bodies but not much else are just hot but not beautiful.
Well, at least my girl's hot  hihi

"The real reason a man hits on a girl - is to fight masturbation."
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2006, 08:08:34 AM »

always going on about women being hot, or not, but what do men do to make their partner say " he is so hot, i am so lucky to be with him" ?

Because most of us end up with beer bellied stupid 30 year old somethings who only go worse as time goes by see ?

What is it worth being hot if it's to be with a smelly fat retarded ape ? ( some of us do have that back home, i promise !!)

Nothing to say
Queen of Everything
Slash is Orgasmic (This title has been bumped by the poster)
Legend

Slash Can Ride....... Me!

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2006, 08:21:23 AM »

People often say that 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder,' and I say that the most liberating thing about beauty is realizing that you are the beholder. This empowers us to find beauty in places where others have not dared to look, including inside ourselves.

~Salma Hayek

Formerly "Drama_qween"... but still as cool. Smiley
www.myspace.com/jessheartsmusic
The Estranged MrFlashbax
VIP

The Tranquil Jester

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2006, 03:58:59 PM »

i dunno 2na.. i'm actually friends with a girl who'd rather listen to silence than scom.

i see what you're trying to say but (to stray away from the girls example) lets take cars for example.. i happen to think mini coopers look really cool, whereas my friend is a fan of the mazda miata instead.. statistically one car might be better than the other, but you can't tell me that i'm wrong to like the mini or tell him that he's wrong to like the miata

Thanks 2 those who went 2 Mustang Harry's on May 12th. That made my first concert experience something I'll never forget. Never did I feel like I fit in anywhere as much as I did amongst you strangers
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2006, 04:15:38 PM »

Beauty is subjective

I think real beauty is always in someone's intentions and how they act. When they behave in a beautiful manner, that person becomes beautiful. When someone has good intentions they become beautiful.

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2006, 04:48:01 PM »

Beauty is subjective

I think real beauty is always in someone's intentions and how they act. When they behave in a beautiful manner, that person becomes beautiful. When someone has good intentions they become beautiful.

Yes, that's actuallly pretty true.( shame so few people happen to be this way)

Nothing to say
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2006, 06:18:13 PM »

beauty is always subjective....

but there`re definitely some standards though...  evolutionally caused ok

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2006, 09:40:54 PM »

Objective. The classical form will always be the standard for human beauty. The Greeks got it right over 2 millennia ago, and there are still fools who dispute this fact. There are definitely ratios for good looking bodies. The Greeks determined the ratios by wrist measurement, since it was easiest this way, but any part would work.

The reason people think it's subjective is because neurotic people have a poor ability to discern taste. They're the kind of people who enjoy McD's, radio-rock, and think black metal sounds like crap, but post-modern jazz is sophisticated and intelligent. Objective people can appreciate both external and esoteric beauty.
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2006, 10:55:57 PM »

People often say that 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder,' and I say that the most liberating thing about beauty is realizing that you are the beholder. This empowers us to find beauty in places where others have not dared to look, including inside ourselves.

~Salma Hayek

That was said by salma? weird Undecided

No man can be my equal
Queen of Everything
Slash is Orgasmic (This title has been bumped by the poster)
Legend

Slash Can Ride....... Me!

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2006, 02:39:30 AM »

~Salma Hayek

That was said by salma? weird Undecided

Yup!  I think its a beautiful quote!  I have it to my friend when she was having self-esteem issues!!!!

Formerly "Drama_qween"... but still as cool. Smiley
www.myspace.com/jessheartsmusic
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2006, 02:44:23 AM »

always going on about women being hot, or not, but what do men do to make their partner say " he is so hot, i am so lucky to be with him" ?

Because most of us end up with beer bellied stupid 30 year old somethings who only go worse as time goes by see ?

What is it worth being hot if it's to be with a smelly fat retarded ape ? ( some of us do have that back home, i promise !!)

What are you going on about?  Way to group all men into one category: "smelly fat retarded apes".

Is dumb in the eye of the beholder?  yes
Goldie
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2006, 05:44:40 AM »

You can fix ugly. You can't fix stupidity!   rofl
Eric
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2006, 09:12:40 AM »

True to the question-I always thought Monica Lewinski (clinton scandal) was cute-boy, do I catch hell from friends for that no
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2006, 06:23:39 AM »

Objective. The classical form will always be the standard for human beauty. The Greeks got it right over 2 millennia ago, and there are still fools who dispute this fact. There are definitely ratios for good looking bodies. The Greeks determined the ratios by wrist measurement, since it was easiest this way, but any part would work.

The reason people think it's subjective is because neurotic people have a poor ability to discern taste. They're the kind of people who enjoy McD's, radio-rock, and think black metal sounds like crap, but post-modern jazz is sophisticated and intelligent. Objective people can appreciate both external and esoteric beauty.

I do not understand your post at all. What did the greeks get right 2 millenia ago and what are these "measurements" and the "classical formula"? sorry but i don't understand a word

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2006, 06:55:25 AM »

The greeks had mathematical formulae for beauty. They used them when designing buildings and shit so that when they were observed from distance they would look beautiful. Slight curves and shit that could only be seen close up give the impression of perfection from a distance.
Evolution
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2006, 10:28:33 AM »

100% in the Eye Of The Beholder.

Personally I prefer it when you find something great that others hate.
RichardNixon
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2006, 10:38:36 AM »

I do not understand your post at all. What did the greeks get right 2 millenia ago and what are these "measurements" and the "classical formula"? sorry but i don't understand a word

Different cultures have different forms of beauty. What was considered beautiful to the Greeks wont be considered beautiful to people living in Ethiopia. When people are looking at potential mates, they are looking at what will be good traits that will survive in offspring.

And Black Metal does sound like crap... hihi
The Estranged MrFlashbax
VIP

The Tranquil Jester

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2006, 12:39:23 PM »

The greeks had mathematical formulae for beauty. They used them when designing buildings and shit so that when they were observed from distance they would look beautiful. Slight curves and shit that could only be seen close up give the impression of perfection from a distance.

and someone could easily go upto those buildings and say.. "wow.. this building is so ugly.. very detailed, but still ugly"

Thanks 2 those who went 2 Mustang Harry's on May 12th. That made my first concert experience something I'll never forget. Never did I feel like I fit in anywhere as much as I did amongst you strangers
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2006, 01:13:31 PM »

Different cultures have different forms of beauty. What was considered beautiful to the Greeks wont be considered beautiful to people living in Ethiopia. When people are looking at potential mates, they are looking at what will be good traits that will survive in offspring.

I've seen enough beauties from foreign countries to know that beauty is universal. Women considered beautiful in India, Nigeria, and Bolivia are beautiful by our standards. Women ugly there are ugly here. There are a few differences, but the overall view is the same. Dolichocephalic heads, for example, are objectively beautiful. If natural selection had a say, intelligent geeks who listen to black metal all day would get laid more.  rant You're confusing natural selection with sexual selection. Even animals pick worthless traits. Peacocks come to mind.

And Black Metal does sound like crap... hihi

It's easier and cheaper to produce that way. Wink If you listen past the production, you get the good stuff. Beauty is objective, but it isn't the whole picture.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: