Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2024, 11:20:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228522 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Michael Bland (Soul Asylum's Drummer) once auditioned for Guns N'Roses ???
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Michael Bland (Soul Asylum's Drummer) once auditioned for Guns N'Roses ???  (Read 2743 times)
Christian
VIP

« on: April 23, 2006, 10:23:29 AM »

"A Bland Fact? ? ?
Written by Administrator? ? ?
Saturday, 22 April 2006?
Did you know that Michael Bland, current drummer with Soul Asylum, once auditioned for Guns N'Roses.

Bland is described by Tommy Stinson as a "super-versatile" drummer."

Source: http://www.sp1at.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=302&Itemid=47

I Know it's Sp1at and blablabla, but what do you think about this?

« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 11:04:04 AM by ChrisMaciel » Logged
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 10:36:26 AM »

Well, maybe it was like 7 years ago.. so blaah.. and I don't think he's the only drummer who auditioned.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
michaelvincent
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 10:42:31 AM »

It's not entirely out of the question, I  mean he knows Tommy. I'm sure Tommy brought him in at some point way back when, probably around the same time the guy from Pearl Jam auditioned.
Eric
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 10:48:10 AM »

I would love to know someday everyone who auditioned-not a big deal, but would just be interesting to know-I remember reading Buckethead once auditioned for the Red Hot Chili peppers.
godiva
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 10:48:55 AM »

I would love to see how those auditions work  hihi You're late for your audition, congratulations, you would fit right in  hihi
Eric
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 10:52:02 AM »

I remember in the making of Nov rain Axl said Gilby was brought in, he was jamming with the rest of the band-i'm sure Axl has more influence now, but I remember Slash went so see Matt with the Cult, said I wish we had a drummer like that, and I get the feeling he broiught Gilby in.
odd1
Banned
Rocker

The storm is getting CLOSER !!!

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 11:03:00 AM »

I would love to know someday everyone who auditioned-not a big deal, but would just be interesting to know-I remember reading Buckethead once auditioned for the Red Hot Chili peppers.

And pretty recently for Ozzy Osburne, but he didnt get the job because he wouldnt take his mask off
Christian
VIP

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 11:03:37 AM »

i will change the title because people will start thinking brain is out, Axl fired him.   hihi

But seriously, the first time i read i thought it was a present fact, but it's seams to be he auditioned for tests before brain was in the band.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 11:05:16 AM by ChrisMaciel » Logged
Eric
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 11:06:12 AM »

And pretty recently for Ozzy Osburne, but he didnt get the job because he wouldnt take his mask off

I forgot about that ok I think the Chili Peppers did give him a standing ovation after his audition Grin
Deez Nuts
Rocker

Village Gorilla Neck

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 11:13:38 AM »

The Minneapolis Star Tribune (www.startribune.com) did a huge write up of him last Sunday (4-16), or maybe it was Friday (4-14), on the cover of their 'Scene' section. ?It was about the drummer's past and included quotes from Paul Westerberg, and a small mention about Tommy. ?I didn't think of posting about it since I thought it was a dead horse. ?All it said was that he "once auditioned for Guns N' Roses", no date or year was given. ?Keep in mind that the journalist, Chris R. isn't the most knowledgeable about GNR, based on his prior writings in the paper IMO.

....ah nuts....I just found the article online at http://www.startribune.com/919/story/356074.html

'The best drummer on the planet'
That's what Soul Asylum's Dave Pirner says about Michael Bland, who has turned down the Dixie Chicks and John Mayer to work with hometown heroes.

It's nearly 1:30 Tuesday morning. Drummer Michael Bland knows this weekly routine like a 4/4 drum pattern. He steps off the stage at Bunker's Bar and Grill, and the leader of the Minneapolis bar-band institution known as Mambo's Combo gives him a handful of cash for his night's work.
The Twin Cities' preeminent drummer could have made more money in per diems touring with the Dixie Chicks this year. But it's not about the money for the 37-year-old Minneapolitan.

"He was born in this band," says Combo guitarist Billy Franze, who has played with Bland for 20 years. "He's extremely loyal. He likes the music and he likes the people." And the Combo loves Bland. "You get spoiled," Franze said. "He's one of the top five, 10 drummers in the whole world."

That's not hometown braggadocio. Madonna and Michael Jackson hired Bland, who was 19 when Prince discovered him one Monday night at Bunker's and lured him for a seven-year stint in his New Power Generation.

More recently, Bland worked with two Minnesota-bred rock icons -- Paul Westerberg and Jonny Lang -- and recently joined a third, Soul Asylum.

"I thought he was out of my league," said Soul Asylum singer Dave Pirner, explaining his initial hesitancy to audition Bland with founding members Danny Murphy and Karl Mueller. Bland started gigging with the group in the summer of 2004 and recorded a new album, "The Silver Lining," due in July. The quartet will play Wednesday at the Fine Line in Minneapolis.

"He's the best drummer on the planet," Pirner said. "He can play anything. I've never heard anything like him because he can swing and play aggressively and get a little groove into the rock thing."

Again, Bland's decision to join a band that was in limbo was about the spirit and the music, not the money.

"I bonded with Danny and Dave," Bland said. "We went through Karl's death [from cancer in 2005] together."

Guitarist Murphy was thrilled by Bland's decision to become a full-fledged member of the band: "He is inspiring to be playing with. And he's much looser-wound than the rest of us."

"Michael keeps everyone laughing," added the band's new bassist, former Replacement Tommy Stinson, who doesn't get much levity on his other job with Axl Rose's Guns 'N Roses. "And he is super-versatile."

That's a key quality that has led Los Angeles-based producer John Fields to hire Bland for various recording projects, including Mandy Moore, Har Mar Superstar and Evan & Jaron.

"Michael has a full encyclopedic knowledge of the history of pop music," said Fields, a former Twin Citian who played in bands here with Bland. "If I say, 'The kind of drum sound from the second Led Zeppelin album,' Michael understands that -- and all the other stuff, too, whether it's Backstreet Boys or any hit that's been on the radio. He knows what it's supposed to be and somehow manages to get his own spice in there, too."

"He never forgets an arrangement -- even 10 years later," Franze says. "He's got a computer mind."

Last year when Westerberg began rehearsals for his tour at an Edina studio, he seemed as lost as he did during a Replacements gig circa 1980. He'd call out a song title and then turn to Bland with a "How does this start?" look.

Not only did the drummer, who had done a previous tour with Westerberg, know the opening chords but also all the lyrics.

"He's the [bleeping] best. Period," Westerberg said.

New York gig at age 17

Bland is the youngest of four children in a church-going family. Dad taught junior-high science. Mom worked at the St. Paul courthouse. Their only son started playing piano at age 6 and, a year later, took up baritone saxophone. At 9, he got hooked on drums. At 16, he won a "Twin Cities Best Drummer" contest and started gigging around town.

A year later, Bland was swept away by New York jazz/soul guitarist Hiram Bullock for some East Coast gigs. Shortly thereafter, he discovered Dr. Mambo's Combo at Bunker's, where, two decades later, he can be found nearly every Monday night.

With Prince, Bland -- who never got a silly nickname from his Purpleness like other band members did -- always stood out because of his size (5 feet 11 and more than 300 pounds) and his colorful outfits (hats, capes and loud eyeglasses). Nowadays, the drummer just favors prominent glasses and overalls.

Despite finding his fame with Prince's funk-rock from 1989 to '96, Bland refused to be typecast.

"I have managed to cover a lot of ground artistically in this business," he said. "I don't have a niche or a genre or a strong suit."

He's so widely respected that he gets referrals all the time. Last fall, Chad Smith of the Red Hot Chili Peppers couldn't make a Hurricane Katrina benefit to accompany the Dixie Chicks, so an assistant engineer called Bland. He got the job, and the country trio offered him a yearlong gig in their touring band.

"That was the equivalent of taking a desk job, not that I don't like the Dixie Chicks," he said, adding that he got a call in the middle of all this to rehearse with Nine Inch Nails in Los Angeles. "I made no contribution to the Dixie Chicks' record. We'd just met, and they're not from Minneapolis. So I decided [instead] to scrap it out with the underdog Soul Asylum." He also turned down offers this year from Lang and John Mayer.

Bland's raspy, robust voice resonates like a bass drum. Born-again and college educated, he can get philosophical. But for him, it boils down to the fact that he's a musician, not a businessman.

"I definitely don't work for free, but I don't work for money, either," he says. "I don't like knowing how much money I'm going to make before the year's out. I think your income should be proportionate to your hustle."

In the '90s, he picked up paychecks from two of the biggest names of his generation -- Madonna and Michael Jackson -- without ever hitting the road.

Madonna dismissed Bland after the third day of tour rehearsals in New York after realizing that he was overqualified. She gave him severance pay and replaced him with a drum programmer.

Jackson hired him for a concert tour but Bland lost patience with the delays and jumped back to touring with Westerberg. Bland also auditioned for Guns 'N Roses, toured with R&B star Maxwell and plays in his own gospel-rock group, Sons of Almighty.

There is only one artist on his wish list: Sly Stone.

A 'traffic cop'

Bland sees his role in a band as "no more than an overglorified traffic cop. Stop. Go."

That's fairly self-effacing for the usually outspoken drummer, who is known for being more blunt than bland.

"I pride myself on being open and direct," he says.

"He's brutally honest," says Franze, who considers Bland his best friend. "He'll never lie to you, even if he should."

Undaunted, Bland speaks his mind and still gets called by Prince, who is notorious for not returning to local musicians he has let go. Bland plays on the title track of Prince's new "3121" album, and often answers late-night calls to come to Paisley Park to record (he lives only 10 minutes away in Eden Prairie).

Bland is excited about being in Soul Asylum. He understands the history -- he once went to a house party where Loud Fast Rules, Soul Asylum's precursor, was playing -- as well as the challenge.

Soul Asylum really has something to build. They've been off the radar for --what? -- since '98 with their last studio record, 'Candy From a Stranger.' Something to prove is kind of important, too."

Even though he's on a mission with Soul Asylum, Bland has an unspoken obligation on any given Monday. If he's in town, he'll be on the bandstand at Bunker's with Mambo's Combo. He has nothing to prove there. "I'd rather be making music," he simply says, "than doing anything else."

« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 11:15:11 AM by Deez Nuts » Logged

Fargo  Nov 15, 2002
NY       May 15, 2006
NY       May 17, 2006
Ames   Dec 1,   2006
Mpls     Dec 2,   2006
Sturgis Aug 13, 2010
Fargo Aug 11, 2021
Lesty
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 02:02:48 PM »

Being a Prince fan, I know michael bland is one of the best drummers on the planet.
He was in prince's band through much of the 90s, and just kills the skins...
I've seen him live several times, both with prince and other side projects in and around minneapolis.
He actually even auditioned for a Madonna tour several years back.
She actually told him he was too good, as obviosly the "live band" sound isn't something she has on tour anyway.
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2006, 02:24:41 PM »

I know this is off-topic, sorry about that - I'm reluctant to start a new thread, even though my search came up empty.  Being relatively uninitiated in all things Buckethead, can anyone list all the bands he's auditioned for?  In the past day I've heard of Ozzy and RHCP, and it just fascinates me that he's even too weird for those guys, and that the BH gimmick has proved to be the deal-breaker...
jesuswithamullet
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 04:39:28 PM »

Red Hot Chicken Peppers?

Buckethead on the Chili Peppers would've been awesome.  I like John and Dave, and they fit in better, but Buckethead can bring the funk when he wants to.  Personality wise, he's a complete mismatch
CocaineTongue22
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2006, 04:40:19 PM »

HOLY SHIT! I just checked out Bland's website. This guy kicks ass!

www.michaelbland.org
Bono
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2006, 04:53:27 PM »

Its' crazy how much of a connection there si with Guns N' Roses and Soul Asylum at the Moment. Soul Asylum was one of my top thrre bands back in the 90'sbut they stopped making albums in 1997.  Correctme if I'm wrong but didn't Soul Asylum open a few shows for Guns N' Roses in Europe early on in the Illusion tour?  I love Soul Asylum. Can't wait for the enw album "The Silver Lineing" should be out in June sometime(the 13th maybe)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2006, 05:31:41 PM »

Correctme if I'm wrong but didn't Soul Asylum open a few shows for Guns N' Roses in Europe early on in the Illusion tour? 

They did in Europe in 1993.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Slipdisc
VIP

~Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur~

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2006, 05:34:34 PM »

Red Hot Chicken Peppers?

Buckethead on the Chili Peppers would've been awesome.? I like John and Dave, and they fit in better, but Buckethead can bring the funk when he wants to.? Personality wise, he's a complete mismatch

You have no freakin' clue how Buckethead is personality wise. So please stop guessing. Just because some people of the GNR-camp tried to talk BS about him, doesn't make it true.

and that the BH gimmick has proved to be the deal-breaker...

The persona wasn't the deal-breaker at all. They said that his style was too crazy for them.

-PEACE-
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 05:36:22 PM by Slipdisc » Logged

CAFC Nick
VIP

I don't know just what I should do...

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2006, 05:42:42 PM »

Wow imagine Californication with a guitarist who could actually play at the time  Shocked (Fair play to John Frusciante though look at him now hes an inspiration).
Bono
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2006, 05:58:54 PM »

Correctme if I'm wrong but didn't Soul Asylum open a few shows for Guns N' Roses in Europe early on in the Illusion tour??

They did in Europe in 1993.

/jarmo

Cool thanks Jarmo. I thought I read that but that was 13 years ago so I wasn't sure if I was remembering it or makeing it up.
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2006, 09:57:21 PM »

Red Hot Chicken Peppers?

Buckethead on the Chili Peppers would've been awesome.? I like John and Dave, and they fit in better, but Buckethead can bring the funk when he wants to.? Personality wise, he's a complete mismatch

You have no freakin' clue how Buckethead is personality wise. So please stop guessing. Just because some people of the GNR-camp tried to talk BS about him, doesn't make it true.

and that the BH gimmick has proved to be the deal-breaker...

The persona wasn't the deal-breaker at all. They said that his style was too crazy for them.

-PEACE-

Thanks for clarifying.  Another article on the boards made me think the bucket itself is what caused the audition with Ozzy not to work out, hence my comment about the "gimmick" part of things...no more off-topics, then. 
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: