Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 07:17:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228556 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Losing my respect for VR.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Losing my respect for VR.  (Read 24984 times)
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2006, 09:16:55 AM »

I remember from several months ago a article saying that Brenden Obrien (soundgarden/STP) would be producing the new record.  I think this is a very good possibility, with Pharrell joining in for a song.

Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2006, 09:26:54 AM »

As far as Velvet Revolver are concerned, they're going to take a different approach for their sophomore album. Instead of working straight through with one producer, they'll work with several.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1528687/04132006/velvet_revolver.jhtml

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2006, 09:33:15 AM »

slash is a fucking joke now, stop giving him the attention he is so desperate for and let him witness axl's talent take over the world once again. nuff said.

you must have reached axl's throat by now with all the crawling up his ass you've been doing hihi
why do you even visit this part of the board if you hate the members that created your favourite band so much ?, do yourself a favor and stay on the other side ok
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 11:45:28 AM by Grouse » Logged
mrsaxlrose
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2006, 09:45:51 AM »

How can you judge something you haven't even heard yet?  I am not a big fan of Pharrell, but Slash isn't going to venture too far away from his roots.

Yes, dammit, I WILL be Mrs. Axl Rose someday soon....
SADIS
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2006, 10:10:57 AM »

Maybe Mike Clink wouldn't be the perfect choice but someone like Rick Rubin would. He's the perfect rock producer. I mean he has done amazing things for the Peppers, Jonny Cash etc.....he knows how to capture the essence of a band....

I rather try something new with Pharrell than Rubin who automatically go to if you want to do something different. Choosing Rubin as your producer back in the day was cool but now its not as fresh

I don't really care for what's cool.....I want the best music wise and I do think that Rubin can do that better than Pharrel. Pharrel is a hyped up producer who does the same trick over and over again. And he ain't that fresh anymore; his sound is rather whored out if you ask me.
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2006, 11:21:32 AM »

yeah but a rock band of the calibur of VR working with Pharrell is something new and should be interesting. Rubin would want to kill all Slash's solos. He prefers simple solos
St.heathen
VIP

I Won't Be Told Anymore

« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2006, 12:19:53 PM »

How can you assume Slash does not like Industrial?  I have Slash's Top 10 albums of all time that he did once for Kerrang. Where he places NIN's The Downward Spiral in his top 5 albums ever! (can't remember exact number now) but it was there amongst Beggers Banquet ect.

Just because they are using someone you would not expect them to use, does not make it crap before you hear it.   It's a brave step but unless you want the same album again ... then it could be THE right step.  I'm thinking Always on the Run, Rocket Queen, Fix (music only!), they are funky riffs, but Slash doesn't sell out on them, he stamps all over them... Duff and Matt have mentioned Prince as an influence on some of their writing... now Prince, when he wants to, can rock like a mofo. 

I hope they stay brave and dont give in to peer pressure, hope they make the album they want to make. Even if i don't like it - i hope that they have the balls.

It's a mass of confusion like the lies they sell to you !
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2006, 12:34:13 PM »

people just assume that because slash left gnr he isn't into anything that axl likes.. Pretty fucking stupid to think that way..
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2006, 12:35:23 PM »

why can't people, at least wait to hear the new music... Scott duff matt slash dave were writing tunes way befor ethey even tought about pharell
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2006, 12:39:42 PM »

I haven't heard Slash's hip hop song yet..? Could someone send it to me?

I know for sure no one here is stupid enough to think that just because someone produces a song that they haven't heard for VR that it's going to be in a different genre, because that would be down right nutty.? So I'm assuming Slash's hip hop song has leaked.? Could someone send it please?
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2006, 01:06:47 PM »

I know STP is not  industrial, but to me Contraband  sounded closer to STP than Guns, and Slash did fine. So I think he likes all kinds of influences, although I agree that he is, at core, a rocker, and will not stray much from that.
Here Today...
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2006, 01:45:42 PM »

why can't people, at least wait to hear the new music... Scott duff matt slash dave were writing tunes way befor ethey even tought about pharell

exactly!!!! thank you mike, that is what im trying to say.  hear the new music, then say what u think about it, you cant make opinions on music that you have never heard

I smoke my cigarette with style
GNR - CROATIA
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2006, 01:47:18 PM »

OK, ?don't get me wrong...
'If they are jelaous of Axl's new work'...
'Axl had some integrity'....
The planet I live on has heard Axl's latest work in 1993...
If on your planet Axl released several albums since then and they sound fine, ?OK.
What exactly is ment by Axl's integrity?
His ability not to record an album in more than 14 years ?or something else!?
VR have last made an album in 2004 whilst Axl doesn't even had a band (I don't count hired musicians cause the number of people passing through that band since '93 is somewhere between 76 - 94, ?or more?) since '93, ?VR have just finished a tour six months ago.
Yes, ?there are plenty of producers being out there, ?yet, ?if the record is good, ?there is little an producer can do to make it even better, ?if the producer is bad - no producer in this world will make it good.
I am sure that there ain't a producer who hasn't made a terrible record despite his abilities.
For example, ? IMO, ?RHCP's 'By the way' ?was so bad (despite the fact that many fans adored it), ?that no producer could make it match my taste. ? Other than the title song, ?I hated that album.
On the other hand, ?I loved both Snakepit albums and Neurotic Outsiders although they all had a different producer (just like Nirvana or Smashing Pumpkins 93 onwards till the awful Machina).
If I was asked, ?maybe I would have Jack Douglas produce it. ? He made phantastic Snakepit II + he produced many great artists incl. ?John Lennon and his Imagine.
If more dancable means Imagine or Pit II, ?GREAT!
On the other hand, ?I am not very familiar with Pharell dude that is there to participate with the band cause

a) I am from Europe
b) I hate r'n'b/rap/hip - hop
However, ?we don't exactlly know what parts VR want to use him for. ?They may explore some idea but in the end it may turn up the greatest rock album of the decade or something.
Lets give them a chance and then judge.
Oh, ? one more thing...
Please don't call Duff, ?Matt or Scott a poser while making Axl the counter side in the same sentance.
Axl is the biggest poser in the rock scene in my eyes and the weakest link in the GNR chain.
C'mon, ? calling people posers while Axl is walking around in the fur coats since the end of 80's!!!???
Calling people posers while Axl's flying back and forth across USA tring hard not to miss a catwalk!?
Victoria Secret pre Valentines party...
Everyone should do what they like (except wearing fur coats), ?but don't give such a guy as example of rock n roll lifestyle.
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2006, 03:37:25 PM »

Although Slash may have loved some NIN album does not mean he would write and perform that kind of music.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
SADIS
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2006, 03:53:39 PM »

I can understand that people may think it's stupid to pressume that it won't work and I hope that it will work but I haven't liked anything Pharrel did until now. So I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and will wait and see but I'm a bit sceptic about it.
mdttkk
Rocker

« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2006, 04:13:39 PM »

well we havent heard any new songs from VR yet so i think its a bit too early to criticize. 
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2006, 04:17:57 PM »

To me this is the equivolent to Axl and Lionel Richie.

Only problem is the Axl Lionel Richie wasnt true and this is.

this is painful.

WHy in the fuck would a rock band team up with this guy?

They are absolutely 100 percent selling out and I am extremely extremely disappointed.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
electricmage
Rocker

Zakk is better then you.

« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2006, 04:32:06 PM »

this is painful.

They are absolutely 100 percent selling out and I am extremely extremely disappointed.

There is no logical reason. How many good rock producers are around today? How many more capable people, with capable and new ideas.

The fact of the matter is that this guy really has no credit. Sure hes produced a bunch of hip hop, but was anything that good?

The idea is stupid, plain and simple.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2006, 07:09:48 PM »

this is painful.

what if vr put out 5 records in 10 years, are they allowed to do anything they like with any people they know unless they are "rock"... I mean slash alone has worked with everyone fropm lemmy to ac/dc to michael jackson to blackstreet../.. I think it's silly to just rush in adns ay they sold out because they are older and want to maybe use  aperson they know in the industry... It's not like they are 25 still adn teh biggest rock group in the world.

I just want music ,if we get something every two years I don't mind some collaborations as long as they are still hard rock.. Weiland has always been out there with style...

I don't know what to say being they were writing songs while on tour and before they met weiland doing music... WHo knows what's in store just because pharell is there..  Doesn't mean they will be doing beatbox..
Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2006, 07:22:51 PM »

Selling out is a stupid concept. How can anyone say someone is selling out, how do you know if its not just something an artist wants to do. Thats not completely relevant to VR's case, nobody knows what they're going to do with Pharrell. It wont be hip-hop, it wouldnt happen and I take the album being groovier as in the same vain as 70's aerosmith, led zep or even Always On The Run type things. Its ridiculous to say some of the things ive read in this thread when noones really heard anything from any member of the band. If their in pre-production, they could still be gathering idea's.

Also whats to say this Pharrell guy isnt a rock n roll fan just because he produces hip-hop?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: