Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 07:37:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  so is John 5 the replacement
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: so is John 5 the replacement  (Read 27598 times)
providman
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2006, 12:28:13 PM »

John 5 would be a great choice; he's one of the few (relatively) well-known players who could match Buckethead, he's got a convenient window of opportunity to rehearse the songs and he's got a distinctive image, for what it's worth. Hey, at least he isn't a cheesy-shredder like Batio, yeah?

As long as he ditches that Telecaster for a Les Paul. Man, I hate Telecasters. Fuckin' twangy planks...? Angry

SG

He ain't ditching the Tele - it's his own signature model made by Fender, to his specs.
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #101 on: April 17, 2006, 12:51:31 PM »

Pilferk,

I definitely agree that there's somewhat of an "all-star" feel to the band- but I don't think it's a "Super Group" by any means... not sure if that makes sense or not... but, I think a lot of thought has been put into putting the band together and everyone's there for a purpose... it's not just like Axl sat at home and said "Give me Eddie Van Halen on lead guitar- Krist Noveselic on bass, Tommy Lee on drums... and let's put Trent Reznor on the knobs for good measure." Some thought and research obviously went in to come up with the names that they did. They're definitely independently accomplished, but aside from Axl, these aren't household names we're talking about here...

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
Niko
Rocker

« Reply #102 on: April 17, 2006, 01:06:38 PM »

he is an amazing player

but why axl likes to hire freaks ?!?!??!?!?

why axl.... why....?!? Cry
BigDeech
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #103 on: April 17, 2006, 01:07:35 PM »

thats what I was going to say, I'd rather someone that looked normal. But whatever, its the Axl show now.
speed_stone
« Reply #104 on: April 17, 2006, 01:08:40 PM »

he is an amazing player

lol hihi

go cut your mullets and drop your leather jackets, this is a new era and it's gonna ROCK! smoking
Backslash
\
VIP

Use Your Allusion

« Reply #105 on: April 17, 2006, 01:09:04 PM »

he is an amazing player

Doesn't anybody get it? ?Axl's a freak now... he doesn't want anyone in the band to be more sane than he is.

GNRevolution... the missing link.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #106 on: April 17, 2006, 01:10:42 PM »

he is an amazing player

Doesn't anybody get it? ?Axl's a freak now... he doesn't want anyone in the band to be more sane than he is.

"And ought to find someone that belonged insane like I do"

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Niko
Rocker

« Reply #107 on: April 17, 2006, 01:14:24 PM »

he is an amazing player

lol hihi

go cut your mullets and drop your leather jackets, this is a new era and it's gonna ROCK! smoking

i hate mullets  rofl

seriously man.....im not asking the 80`s to be back....but you dont need to be a freak to ROCK!!!
Backslash
\
VIP

Use Your Allusion

« Reply #108 on: April 17, 2006, 01:19:35 PM »

i hate mullets? rofl

seriously man.....im not asking the 80`s to be back....but you dont need to be a freak to ROCK!!!

Hey man, don't diss mullets... Captain Planet had a mullet, and he rocks!!!  hihi

But yeah, even though I don't want to judge any of the guys by appearance, I'd rather for someone who isn't gonna wear more make up than a $5 hooker to play with the Gunners.  I mean, wasn't Guns N' Roses about stopping the whole make-up and hairspray image movement?  The music is more important than the image.  Always has been with GNR... that's probably part of the reason Axl wanted Buckethead out; because his image took away from his actual talent.

GNRevolution... the missing link.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #109 on: April 17, 2006, 01:30:56 PM »

You want normal looking or talented?

I'd take talented, personally.

I don't much care what they look like, so long as they can play the fuck out of their instrument of choice.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
elevendayempire
Rocker

...Now I know you better...

« Reply #110 on: April 17, 2006, 01:36:39 PM »

John 5 would be a great choice; he's one of the few (relatively) well-known players who could match Buckethead, he's got a convenient window of opportunity to rehearse the songs and he's got a distinctive image, for what it's worth. Hey, at least he isn't a cheesy-shredder like Batio, yeah?

As long as he ditches that Telecaster for a Les Paul. Man, I hate Telecasters. Fuckin' twangy planks...? Angry

SG

He ain't ditching the Tele - it's his own signature model made by Fender, to his specs.
I know. But it's still a twangy plank.

SG
Niko
Rocker

« Reply #111 on: April 17, 2006, 01:39:03 PM »

You want normal looking or talented?

I'd take talented, personally.

I don't much care what they look like, so long as they can play the fuck out of their instrument of choice.

there is a lot of guitar players that can play the fuck out of gnr songs...my point is
with so many options ..why he hired freak??

dont get this wrong i think the new band kick ass.. but i want the whole package
i dont want that the look of a player cares as much (to the regular public) as his/her hability to play the instrument

take buckethead case... we all know that buckethead is an amazing player...
but take it to the level of average teenage that watch mtv..or anybody

buckethead was more "famous" because he had a mask and a bucket of KFC
than the greatest player he is
godiva
« Reply #112 on: April 17, 2006, 01:41:16 PM »

Well said Pilferk. I think people put way too much emphasis on looks. I really couldn't care if Axl hired a dog-eating, lesbian, green-painted transsexual, as long as he (she?) can play, I'm good. Although, it would be interesting to see a dog-eating, lesbian, green-painted transsexual playing guitar  hihi j/k.

Really, I think people tend to judge a book by its cover, and that's quite sad. I was quite shocked when I saw Bucket for the first time. I never even heard of the guy before, so I had no idea what kind of guitar player he was. Now, I really enjoy listening to my 02 bootlegs and Bucket's parts have a lot to do with that. If you don't want to see the looks of the guys in the band, just close your eyes and listen  ok
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #113 on: April 17, 2006, 01:46:15 PM »

there is a lot of guitar players that can play the fuck out of gnr songs...my point is

Because the "freak" was the best candidate for the job?

Together again,
Niko
Rocker

« Reply #114 on: April 17, 2006, 01:49:13 PM »

Because the "freak" was the best candidate for the job?

with the ammount of people that plays the guitar, can you say that is teh best candidate?

this guy can play the fuck out of his instrument..but like him so many others (some freaks ..some not!!!)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #115 on: April 17, 2006, 02:09:59 PM »

with the ammount of people that plays the guitar, can you say that is teh best candidate?

this guy can play the fuck out of his instrument..but like him so many others (some freaks ..some not!!!)

Can I say it?

No, because I didn't "interview" them.?And I'm not a member of the band. And my opinion on the subject, as such, isn't relevant.

But the band and Axl DID interview them.

And whoever did that interview DID think they were the best candidate for the job.

It's not ONLY about playing their instrument well.? It's about musicianship, chemistry with the rest of the band, and, yes, playing the fuck out of their instrument.

And I doubt, highly, that "look" was even a secondary consideration.

That's the point.? I doubt image was a consideration.? They just brought in the best candidate they had to choose from.

Together again,
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #116 on: April 17, 2006, 02:21:04 PM »

As long as he ditches that Telecaster for a Les Paul. Man, I hate Telecasters. Fuckin' twangy planks...  Angry

SG

I know. But it's still a twangy plank.

SG

telecasters are great guitars, but in this case i think a LP is the guitar for the job. but don't worry. John5 has tons of guitars, he's using the telecaster now cuz it fits what he needs to do in the bands he's in.
if the job requires something else. je has plenty of les pauls and other guitars to use.

Chinese Democracy!
littleredcorvette
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #117 on: April 17, 2006, 04:15:20 PM »

He is a brillant guitar player, BUT:

- I prefer 2 guitar players at 100% than 3 guitar players at 75%. Quality and Chemistry over quantity.
- Definitely very disrespectfull toward Richard and Robin if it happens (but I'm pretty sure it won't).
- Another reason to get bad press in the media: "The GNR casting Machine continues", "GNR members come and go like socks", "GNR = pop Idol, pick your phone and vote for the next guitar player!", "GNR: the biggest job office in the music business", "you are a guitar player? you search for a job? contact Axl Rose". It would be very easy to mock GNR once again... this is so predictable.
- Don't you think it's time to see a band? Personately, I think it is time.

One word: Stability. That's the best way to succeed. The double RF are talented enough. Let them shine ok

You say you prefer 2 guitar players and it would be disrespectful to Fortus and Finck to get a third on.? Yet you'd want Slash back in a second.? Face it nesquick.? You just don't like John5.? If it wasn't the case you wouldn't want Slash as a third guitarist as well.
i've never said I don't like John 5, where did you read that? I rather say? he was an awesome guitar player. I'm against the 3 guitar players idea, because I think it's useless. It is not needed. John 5 or anyone else, it's the same. Not needed. Now Slash is Slash, he is the exeption. The door will always be open for him because he is the greatest and he made GNR as much as Axl. Fact.

The new band works on material with 3 guitarists for years, the albums tracks are based around 3 leads and you say a 3rd touring guitarist is not needed. But the door is always open for Slash even though he had no interest in doing the kind of music we've already heard and wants to stick to basic riff-rock, even though he would have bugger all in common personally with Tommy, Richard and Robin who all have comparatively bookish, learned intellects and probably wouldn't identify or get on with Slash at all?
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #118 on: April 17, 2006, 04:32:57 PM »

IF the rumor is true...

GnR is quickly becoming "The Yankees" of the Rock and Roll world.  With John5, they'd be fielding a freaking team of All-Stars, for gods sake.

Yes and no...how about the All Star team of "highly respected-within-the-industry-musicians-with-little mainstream-name recognition?"

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
St_Jimmyuk
VIP

Im Right next door to hell...

« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2006, 05:01:55 PM »

axls not really hiring freaks just people with they own image, and john 5 has played many places just looking like a rocker since leaving manson, so the goth scary image was just for a period, if he joins gnr he might change his mind

as for the others buckethead i think was just trying to compete with slash Smiley

- They call me Lenny...... But that's not my name, that's not my name.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: