Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 09:34:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The quote slash says the horn section was his idea
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The quote slash says the horn section was his idea  (Read 5273 times)
madagas
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2006, 12:25:39 PM »

Said it before and I will say it again. It was most likely a mutual decision between Slash and Axl. Believe me, they would not have been there if Axl or Slash really objected. Both can be blamed, but Slash certainly isn't innocent like he tried to potray himself in the Behind the Music. So Mike, I assume you loved the extraordinarily bad 15 minute guitar solos by Slash?Huh? I personally hated the drum solos and long boring guitar wankfest. Horns are good on some songs but Gnr didn't have enough of them to really need a horn section. Also, it was AXL who said in 1991 or so that he wanted to make the shows more like the Stones. Thus, horns and backup singers. Remember, Gnr opened for the Stones in LA in 1989 and it obviously made an impression on the band. The beginning of the UYI tour was great then things unraveled a bit when Izzy left. The end of the UYI tour was great as well-Skin n' Bones tour. They got back to basics. peace
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 12:27:22 PM by madagas » Logged
Origen
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2006, 12:27:06 PM »

Slash doesn't directly say it was his idea, he talks about them wearing what ever they want and the interviewer says Slash said it was his idea, but point me the part out where Slash says it was his idea. Or are we just believing everything the interview/press say now ?hihi
madagas
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2006, 12:29:04 PM »

We are certainly NOT going to believe everything Slash or Axl says either.....Gnr was one big lie...one big pose....one big fraud.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2006, 12:47:19 PM »

We are certainly NOT going to believe everything Slash or Axl says either.....Gnr was one big lie...one big pose....one big fraud.

That perception is out there, deserved or not.

The UYI era on definately put a huge dent in all concerneds's credibility.

Piopularity breeds success, success leads to money and money fosters ego(s).

Pretty much a formula for disaster no matter who's involved.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2006, 12:48:25 PM »

Nice finds Dave and IRS.

I never get why everybody hates the brasses and backup singers? Huh

I think the idea is good. It could work well and swell without looking as a bloat.
madagas
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2006, 12:55:04 PM »

Backup singers is a bit much unless your Elvis circa 1976! hihi However, horns have been a staple of rock and roll since the beginning. The Stones use them wonderfully....especially Exile/Sticky Fingers/Let It Bleed era (70-71-72). Again, Gnr didn't have enough songs where a horn section really fit the music. I mean, the Stones never had a flute player wearing lingerie! rofl rofl
JB9988
VIP

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2006, 01:00:21 PM »

i dont know about any of  you but i would be pissed if axl let him back in guns same goes for duff

Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2006, 01:14:23 PM »

still doesn't say he came up with the idea of having a horn section on tour. he came up with them all being female, allright.
maybe the someone else in the band wanted a horn section, and Slash made sure they were all females if that were to happen...I can see that hihi

bottom line is that all decisions back then were made by Axl and Slash together, so they obviously both agreed on it.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2006, 01:55:05 PM »

Again, Gnr didn't have enough songs where a horn section really fit the music.

sort of.
it's up to the band and its state whether a horn section, a chorus or a group of girl bikers looks/sounds effective or not on a stage.

i dont know about any of  you but i would be pissed if axl let him back in guns same goes for duff

me too but what about the topic?
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2006, 03:27:21 PM »

So for all the people that claimed I made it up or was lying. You can apoligize now.? peace

I don't think i called you a liar...but just in case.....I'm sorry hihi peace

Cuz i know i argued at some point with someone that it was Axl who brought the horns in.

In my defense...they all allowed it to happen so they are all equally to blame....Someone shoulda slapped Slash upside the head for that suggestion rofl

dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2006, 06:50:37 PM »

AXL: There's Teddy, there's Dizzy, there's Roberta, Tracy, Lisa, CeCe, Anne, Gilby, Matt, Duff, Slash and me. Slash put this new band together, did all of the groundwork. He did such an amazing job that I just can't believe it really happened. I'm glad to be a part of it. It's a pretty huge thing, and we might even add some dancers, like we used to have back in the old Troubadour days. It's something we've considered.

That just shows that Slash found the members of the all girl horn section...
Find me a quote with a reliable source in which Slash says "it was my idea to have horn section" and I'll believe you.

I quoted slash saying it was his idea, you got it right from his mouth, what more do you want

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2006, 06:55:33 PM »

Said it before and I will say it again. It was most likely a mutual decision between Slash and Axl. Believe me, they would not have been there if Axl or Slash really objected. Both can be blamed, but Slash certainly isn't innocent like he tried to potray himself in the Behind the Music. So Mike, I assume you loved the extraordinarily bad 15 minute guitar solos by Slash?Huh? I personally hated the drum solos and long boring guitar wankfest. Horns are good on some songs but Gnr didn't have enough of them to really need a horn section. Also, it was AXL who said in 1991 or so that he wanted to make the shows more like the Stones. Thus, horns and backup singers. Remember, Gnr opened for the Stones in LA in 1989 and it obviously made an impression on the band. The beginning of the UYI tour was great then things unraveled a bit when Izzy left. The end of the UYI tour was great as well-Skin n' Bones tour. They got back to basics. peace

I liked when they didn't have all the extras,, 91 & 93 was better to me...

At first I didn't mind the drum solo or the slash guitar thing, but when I got older and started watching multiple shows it became dull and boring.. I never realised years ago that bands did the same shit over and over ie drum solo guitar solo... Once I understood this I was like ZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2006, 06:57:39 PM »

So for all the people that claimed I made it up or was lying. You can apoligize now.? peace

I don't think i called you a liar...but just in case.....I'm sorry hihi peace

Cuz i know i argued at some point with someone that it was Axl who brought the horns in.

In my defense...they all allowed it to happen so they are all equally to blame....Someone shoulda slapped Slash upside the head for that suggestion rofl

I wont even argue that Axl had a part in it, it was always slash had no part in it and slash never wanted the horn section when the fact is , it was his idea and he put the whole thing together.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2006, 07:10:12 PM »

the only reason why the horns are mocked as well as the decadent period for the band is because they never got a chance to redeem themselves. Shame on a band for trying something a lil different! God forbid. The hwole GNr bashing regarding this period is overated and boring. WHo cares. They went to horns. It didnt work.

The only reason its a big deal is/was because that same band never came back and had a long career. Over a long time period every band does somehting that critics or their own fans hate...but then come back to earth later on...gnr never got that chance...their own fault but either way they didnt have a long stay....

but the music is alive and kicking and thats all that counts...."lost credibility" or not

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2006, 07:30:34 PM »

it's not that they went to horns, it because they were so simple yet amazing as 5 guys onstage, then it just became way over the top..
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2006, 07:45:08 PM »

so what....thats part of the process...the development of a band. You dont know what works and doesnt work until you actually do it. Big deal they went to horns. They also went back to their wrapped up that tour with the basics.....they didnt have a long career hence that is what they are remembered by to some....

and I could careless if peopel think Axl or the band was over the top. Thats rock n roll. Where has that stripped down, I hate the world, Im grunge image been and what has it done to rock over the past decade?.. rock is missing that over the top I dont give a fuck attitude. and say what you want about gnr and the directions they took...they had that attitude and they were the last band to have it

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2006, 05:29:38 PM »

From Classic Rock, May 2006 issue:

Abuse Your Illusion.

It was Slash who had been mainly responsible for putting together the Guns N' Roses big band.

"Around the time Gilby joined I was looking for some horn players to fill out songs like November Rain and get them to sound a bit more like the record." he said in a TV interview.

"Axl really got into that idea too. I didn't want anything corny like three guys in tuxedos all moving in unison, so I got some chicks to do it. But that hasn't changed the way we play," he added. "It's as chaotic as it's always been."

Thanks to GMG!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
PhillyRiot
I'm super, thanks for asking
Banned
VIP

Please Return to Philly

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2006, 05:55:50 PM »

Okay so Axl had to beg Slash to play November Rain, and then Slash is soley responsible for finding the horn players?  Something doesn't add up here.   For the most part, the horns really aren't on too much of UYI recordings, they are just annoying on the tour, so I don't even know what the big deal is.  Should we deprive ourselves of original GNR now because Slash found horn players?  What is the agenda here?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 06:01:34 PM by PhillyRiot » Logged

I don't need the Internet to be a GNR fan.

www.myspace.com/earl31   Talk Radio Pranks
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2006, 06:05:18 PM »

Okay so Axl had to beg Slash to play November Rain, and then Slash is soley responsible for finding the horn players?? Something doesn't add up here.? ?For the most part, the horns really aren't on too much of UYI recordings, they are just annoying on the tour, so I don't even know what the big deal is.? Should we deprive ourselves of original GNR now because Slash found horn players?? What is the agenda here?

I believe the agenda is to support Axl's assertion that Slash is a liar.
Eric
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2006, 06:18:33 PM »

Not sure who's idea it was, don't care at this point, but it would make me cringe during live and let die to hear the backup singers, and horns-I thought when GNR played it at MTV awards from London it sounded awsome-raw. I just never got into the idea-I like the flow of the setlist the new lineup had-no drum solos, Bucket and Robin solos that didn't last 20 minutes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: