Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 05:34:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  If GnR released an Album in 1995-6?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: If GnR released an Album in 1995-6?  (Read 5822 times)
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2006, 02:46:01 AM »

I love all of those songs you listed. I think that Gilby is a great guitarist, but he just didn't get a real chance in Gn'R. Every time I listen to the solo stuff from Duff, Slash or Gilby I just imagine what would it sound like if Axl would do the vocal work. Answer is amazing! peace

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2006, 08:55:59 AM »

I think from say 95-99 gnr sales ingeneral would have suffered, they were still scene as something that started from the 80's and sometimes thought of as the band that was help killed by grunge.. Take your limps your kid rocks your korns or mansons that were selling big, gnr was just not right then... Once 2002 came along it was the right time.. For me oh my god and live era showed that gnr wasn't in demand at that moment..

that's probably true, but that may have been a blessing in disguise as the media wouldn't have been so intense in their scrutiny of the band and they coulda gotten back to their roots a little

some  bands made it throught those years: Aerosmith, Metallica, Bon Jovi, AC/DC, Ozzy
GnR was as big if not bigger than all of them

The grunge period just killed alot of the bands that nobody misses like Warrant, Ratt, Trixster, Whitesnake, Dokken, Extreme, Danger Danger, and a bunch of other "hair bands" I can't remember
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2006, 09:46:09 AM »

If they would stuck together I think a possible ulbum in 96 would've been in the mix between is 12 o clock somewhere and pawnshop guitars, I think duff would make a couple of songs but not that influenced to do it on GNR

No man can be my equal
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2006, 09:53:42 AM »

If they would stuck together I think a possible ulbum in 96 would've been in the mix between is 12 o clock somewhere and pawnshop guitars, I think duff would make a couple of songs but not that influenced to do it on GNR

I think you understate Duff's importance to the band; he wrote / co-wrote two of the best songs on AFD:
It's So easy and Paradise City
darkmonth
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2006, 10:31:19 AM »

Off topic, but listen to the Darkness... most of the singing is NOT falsetto...
CAFC Nick
VIP

I don't know just what I should do...

« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2006, 10:32:10 AM »

The Darkness piss on the name of every rock n' roll band ever.
alternativemonkey
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2006, 11:23:20 AM »

I really liked Gilby's stuff (from that era) the best... Pawnshop Guitars and The Hangover have the real makings of a solid mid 90's GN'R album.... apparently Axl was very P!SSED when some of those songs turned up on Gilby's solo discs... as evidently there was some miscommunication between Gilby and Axl [Axl apparently said he "liked" some of Gilby's songs (translation- ear mark it for GN'R)- and Gilby took that to mean that Axl was just being complimentary- but not that he was interested in any of the material for GN'R]. That's too bad... I've always kind of felt that GN'R missed out by not writing some original music with Gilby... dude's got a good ear.

I never really got into Slash's Snakepit... there's some great guitar work on those albums, but GN'R would be playing bingo halls right now if they had tried to release and tour behind that in the mid 90s. Ten Minute Warning and Duff's other solo work never did much for me either. I did like Neurotic Outsiders (with Duff and Matt) A LOT though... he11... I like Neurotic Outsiders more than I like Velvet Revolver.

I agree with you on Gilby. Tijuana Jail is something akin to Dust N' Bones. Axl missed the boat on this one! Gilby could've been a real asset writing new music, more so than Slash or Duff.
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2006, 12:09:23 PM »

I really liked Gilby's stuff (from that era) the best... Pawnshop Guitars and The Hangover have the real makings of a solid mid 90's GN'R album.... apparently Axl was very P!SSED when some of those songs turned up on Gilby's solo discs... as evidently there was some miscommunication between Gilby and Axl [Axl apparently said he "liked" some of Gilby's songs (translation- ear mark it for GN'R)- and Gilby took that to mean that Axl was just being complimentary- but not that he was interested in any of the material for GN'R]. That's too bad... I've always kind of felt that GN'R missed out by not writing some original music with Gilby... dude's got a good ear.

I never really got into Slash's Snakepit... there's some great guitar work on those albums, but GN'R would be playing bingo halls right now if they had tried to release and tour behind that in the mid 90s. Ten Minute Warning and Duff's other solo work never did much for me either. I did like Neurotic Outsiders (with Duff and Matt) A LOT though... he11... I like Neurotic Outsiders more than I like Velvet Revolver.

I agree with you on Gilby. Tijuana Jail is something akin to Dust N' Bones. Axl missed the boat on this one! Gilby could've been a real asset writing new music, more so than Slash or Duff.

That's a good one: I'd love to hear what WTTJ and SCOM sound like if Gilby had written the riff instead of Slash rofl

And what It's SO Easy and PC would have sounded like if Gilby wrote it than DUff

Gilby's so good I've never heard one of his songs played on the radio
JAC185
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2006, 12:14:33 PM »

That's a good one: I'd love to hear what WTTJ and SCOM sound like if Gilby had written the riff instead of Slash rofl

And what It's SO Easy and PC would have sounded like if Gilby wrote it than DUff

Gilby's so good I've never heard one of his songs played on the radio

And we all know thats what counts, i only hear the best music on the radio where i live
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2006, 12:28:14 PM »

And everyone else should shit on them for what they are:  shit.

The Dog
Legend

« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2006, 12:34:55 PM »

And everyone else should shit on them for what they are:  shit.

I agree with both of you - I hate gimmick bands.

on topic - I don't think a 95-96 album would have been successful - people wanted a different sound and there was a lot of backlash towards the "image" rock scene of the late 80s/early 90s.  People were angry and upset at the state of the country and the music reflected that.  Of course it was a minor recession and as soon as people were happy again we wanted to rock but by then GNR was broken up and Cobain had already killed the genre.  Instead rappers/hip hoppers replaced rockers as the new kings of sex, drugs and rock n roll and we were left with shitty bands like The Offspring and Limp Bizkit.  I think the timing is right now for a new GNR album...but back then it would have been recieved like an average Aerosmith album.  You'd have a top 40 hit but no real buzz about it. 

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Eugene Klein
Rocker

--Powder on wound--

« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2006, 01:36:03 PM »

Axl is on Tijuana Jail?

A scream right at the end ok that's it hihi

Who can confirm this?? It's not in the liner notes, it's not listed on this website, and I don't hear Axl.
I'l post the clip if I'm allowed, but i don't think I am.? If you have the CD it's at 4:35-4:37 peace Seriously I've always thought so, and i know it's not in the liners no But it's him for sure yes
That's Gilberto Clarke himself. 

??\\\ G.A.S. ///??
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: