Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 07:42:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  If GnR released an Album in 1995-6?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: If GnR released an Album in 1995-6?  (Read 5862 times)
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2006, 11:06:14 PM »

neem o they weren't doomed to failure any other way then maybe album sales wise.. Touring they would have remained huge imo.. Their fan following was just that big, but not everyone was going to run out to buy new albums

Sometimes timing is much more important then how good your tunes are..

Well that's the main thing for the industry, sad as that statement is Cry The only way they could've stayed competitive is by taking the route Metallica did with Load and Reload I think, and IMO those 2 albums were chalk full of fillers. Metallica dumbed way-down their style of music during the mid-late 90's to remain competitive. Do you figure GnR would've had to go the same route? I don't think monster songs like NR, Estranged and Coma would've cut it from 1994-1999. people just weren't interested in that stuff anymore, it was all about feeling down-trodden and neglected. nearly all of the late 80's early 90's rock bands suffered heavily in those years.

I said i don't think it would've been a top seller but it would've had solid numbers, but then after it would they have been reeling from 2 low selling records? (compared to UYI's) then what? we may have gotten a live album or a GH or a really shitty attempt at going back to the roots of GnR, then they may have disbanded anyway. (i'm kinda taking a metallica parallel, from the black album they were huge, then load came out and their popularity increased, then reload and people are like ok not bad but whatever not the greatest, then we get garage inc., (junk IMO) and then S&M (good Live album)) it wasn't till early '00's that there was a bit of an upswing in that musical genre. so then we get a St.Anger type of bullshit? fuck that, this may have been the best course for GnR, now they have this crazy, mystery about them, and Axl is a Musical Icon. even though he's been mostly absent for approximately a decade and Metallica are basically a joke even though they remained active, it's fucked up.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 11:36:32 PM by Neemo » Logged

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2006, 11:13:37 PM »

anyone hear the Axl scream in Tiquana Jail yet Undecided (I think the reason why Axl doesn't get credit in the liner notes is that it's a 2 second scream and thats it, screams don't count for much in the songwriting dept peace )

it's funny, this thread really didn't evolve like i had envisioned hihi

@ krispy kreme - I though it was a pretty decent selection too, and I can almost hear Axl doing most of those tracks, it would've been interesting to hear anyway. I've always thought Gilby would've filled the Izzy void nicely. another thing, the majority of those songs were written by at least 2 former members of GnR (aside from the new gnr tunes of course)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 11:37:06 PM by Neemo » Logged

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2006, 11:32:02 PM »

it's funny, this thread really didn't evolve like i had envisioned hihi
Do they ever?? hihi When you start a thread, it only takes one post to veer the entire thread off course.

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2006, 11:39:51 PM »

Axl is on Dead Flowers.  I haven't heard the Jail yell yet, but they played Dead Flowers during the UYI tour, and Axl and Gilby sang that in 99 at some bar.
SWINGTRADER
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2006, 05:43:58 PM »

Hypotheticly speaking  what voice do you think Axl would be using on the new songs if he would have released the album in the mid 90's. Let's say he would have written these exact songs back then,  do you think he would sing them with his raspy voice  or would he intentionally be singing them in falsetto.  I think these new songs would kick major ass if he still had the raspy voice and used it on the songs.  madagascar would rule with his raspy voice.  These songs would have so much power if he didn't try to sing high pitched.  Axl's voice used to be the most powerful instrument in GNR,  and now you could hardly hear it . In the 2002 tour  he was struggling to sing over the sound of the band.  I always wonder  how great and powerful these new tunes would sound if they would have been sung by Axl in his early 30's.  In "Better" Axl uses his Illusions voice ( who knows when it was recorded)  but there is no way in hell he can sing like that live now.   That is going to be a problem.      Does anybody agree with me that the raspy voice would make these songs better ??
Sparksry
VIP

Keep Calm and Welcome to the Jungle

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2006, 05:46:53 PM »

Sorry whats falsetto. ?

So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?
    - Stewie Griffin-
benchiefjr
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2006, 05:52:00 PM »

Sorry whats falsetto. ?
the Darkness hihi
Wicked Demon
Rocker

my post was Here Yesterday...

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2006, 05:58:25 PM »

intentionally be singing them in falsetto.? I think these new songs would kick major ass if he still had the raspy voice and used it on the

In the 2002 tour? he was struggling to sing over the sound of the band.

If you're working on new songs for an album, you don't want to lose your voice when you are still writing and demoing songs. You sing them as good as you can without overdoing it. Save it for the final recording.

And if you couldn't hear him on tour, then that's something the crew will have to work out with the mix. It's not like he has to generate the volume himself; he's mic'd for god's sake. Maybe he can't hear himself, and that's something that all that expensive gear is supposed to help with. Does he use in-ear monitors, or are there still a bunch of wedges on a GNR set? Bands with the in-ear monitors tend to sound better, because they can move about the set without having to find a monitor to listen to.
Gaymo, the Hobbit
Banned
Legend

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2006, 06:01:18 PM »

i think if axl released CD in '96, it wouldn't have been as good as it will be now.... because now he had more time to make it the best record he's ever made..

The only son of a bitch with enough piss, vinegar and kill-?em-all attitude to shove an M-80 up rock?s collective ass right now is Axl Rose. [LA Weekly]
gnr_12
Rocker

Nothin' Lasts Forever...

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2006, 06:11:32 PM »

I know where u coming from with the voicee... its called balls boys.. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 12:10:36 AM by gnr_12 » Logged

That goes for all you punks in the press, That want to start shit by printin' lies, Instead of the things we said, That means you, Andy Secher, Mick Wall ,Bob Guccione Jr.
Get In the Fuckin Ring Punks
McDuff
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2006, 06:58:57 PM »

If there had been a GN'R album released in 1996 it would have been awful because the band was having some serious problems at that time,so I am glad that a album was never released back then  beer
jimb0
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2006, 07:17:17 PM »

If Axl released an album in 1996 it would have been called: "It's five O'Clock Somewhere."  It would have been all right but not what Axl wanted to do.  Paul Tobais would have played rythm, Duff would have played bass, Dizzy Keys and on Drums would have been umm wait.....
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2006, 07:44:23 PM »

How about, "What if Hannibal dropped an atomic bomb on Carthage?"

A:  CD didn't exist in '96.
B:  Guns N' Roses was hardly a functioning entity in '96.

If I am to pretend that A and B are false...I'd guarantee a hard crash and burn. 

If this was Back to the Future, and CD (or a form of it from 10 years ago) was about to be released, I'd be running to Doc's house and demanding access to that goddamn Delorean time machine.  I'd fly back in time to make sure it never saw the light of day...actually, I did do all this.   You can't prove I didn't, and you should all be thanking me that 2006 isn't the year of "Silkworms Part 2!...10 Years Later!"   peace

Okay, a small part of me would like to hear what was cooked up back in the strange '94 to '97 years.   Wink

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
HungerForChaos
Rocker

Not Here Yesterday...

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2006, 11:18:31 PM »

How about, "What if Hannibal dropped an atomic bomb on Carthage?"

A:  CD didn't exist in '96.
B:  Guns N' Roses was hardly a functioning entity in '96.

If I am to pretend that A and B are false...I'd guarantee a hard crash and burn. 

If this was Back to the Future, and CD (or a form of it from 10 years ago) was about to be released, I'd be running to Doc's house and demanding access to that goddamn Delorean time machine.  I'd fly back in time to make sure it never saw the light of day...actually, I did do all this.   You can't prove I didn't, and you should all be thanking me that 2006 isn't the year of "Silkworms Part 2!...10 Years Later!"   peace

Okay, a small part of me would like to hear what was cooked up back in the strange '94 to '97 years.   Wink

I happen to like Silkworms! Has to be cleaned up abit though...
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2006, 11:29:58 PM »

A bit?   rofl   Well, there are folks who enjoy My World too.  Not me though.  no

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
HungerForChaos
Rocker

Not Here Yesterday...

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2006, 11:39:42 PM »

A bit?   rofl   Well, there are folks who enjoy My World too.  Not me though.  no

I think it's a good song and a studio version would sound good, I just don't really think it's good enough to be on CD.... Compared to the rencent leaks and other live songs...
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2006, 12:02:45 AM »

A bit?? ?rofl? ?Well, there are folks who enjoy My World too.? Not me though.? no

I think it's a good song and a studio version would sound good, I just don't really think it's good enough to be on CD.... Compared to the rencent leaks and other live songs...

HungerforChaos, as long as it's not on CD, I'll be happy.  I am absolutely floored, as I think MANY non-"guns fanatics" will be with the quality of music we're gonna get.  If you gave me final cuts of The Blues, Maddy, CITR, TWAT, IRS, and Better, it's already better than UYI 1.  It's just 2 or 3 great songs short of UYI 2.  I like CD the song, but I don't think it's as good as these 6.  The quality of the music will shock the public who for the most part don't even know Axl's living and sane. 

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Eclipsed107
VIP

Fucked over in Philly - 12/06/02

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2006, 12:05:20 AM »

Axl's voice used to be the most powerful instrument in GNR,? and now you could hardly hear it .

Don't forget, the leaks are demos. ?In the final version Axl's voice will be mixed much better and will deffiently be on top of the music.

I think his voice sounds amazing in Better.. and it's recorded much better than any of the other demos as well.. I'd expect Chinese Democracy to sound like Better as opposed to IRS or TWAT once it's in our hands.

If I said you had a beautiful body, would you take your pants off and dance around a little?
oneway23
VIP

I've asphyxiated waiting...

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2006, 12:30:44 AM »

I would like to believe things worked out for the best with regard to GNR.  Had they released anything in the mid 90's mechanic as musician era, I'm apt to think we would've had to endure the commercial and critical backlash(which had already begun by 92-93), followed by a lackluster "return to form" attempt at grasping towards a fading star...I'm actually glad that GNR's golden era got encapsulated and that Axl was inclined to wait, as we have, until the grounds were a bit more fertile...Cultivate Axl...Till the land, Man!
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2006, 12:39:42 AM »

None of those solo songs are the quality of Guns N' Roses in my eyes.

BULLSHIT!!!   Tongue

Duffs Believe In Me   is a classic!!!  beer beer drool drool

Every song on that album is GnR ALL THE WAY!!! peace ok

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: