Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 07:32:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  If GnR released an Album in 1995-6?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: If GnR released an Album in 1995-6?  (Read 5848 times)
Neemo
Legend

« on: March 03, 2006, 04:19:14 PM »

I've been listening to The new GnR leaks (of course hihi ) and live songs from 2002

then i got thinking and pulled out:
Slash - 5 O'Clock Somewhere
Gilby - Pawnshop Guitars
Duff - Believe in Me
Duff - Beautiful Disease

Theoretically, let's say GnR kept Gilby, and Duff and Slash stayed.

What would an album released in 1995 have sounded like?

13 songs I pulled are,

The Blues - GnR
CITR - GnR
IRS - GnR
Neither Can I - Slash
Beggars and Hangers On - Slash
Good To Be Alive - Slash
Doin' Fine - Slash
Believe In Me - Duff
Man In the Meadow - Duff
Rain - Duff
Cure Me Or Kill Me - Gilby
Tiquana Jail - Gilby
(Axl's scream at the end and Slash's Guitar ok Fucking Beautiful I tell Ya)
Dead Flowers - Gilby

(I wanted to post them all but I'm not allowed peace )

Would it have worked? Thoughts?

F*ck Fear
VIP

Getcha Pull!

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 04:25:55 PM »

None of those solo songs are the quality of Guns N' Roses in my eyes.

11/29/2002 Toronto Canada
11/15/2006 Toronto Canada
01/24/2010 Hamilton Canada
11/28/2011 Hamilton Canada
07/15/2013 Toronto Canada
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 04:27:46 PM »

None of those solo songs are the quality of Guns N' Roses in my eyes.

Yeah but what about a 5 man collaboration of those tunes? Axl's spin on that stuff? I think it's woulda been good

or Slash's take on IRS?

WhatIsItMan
VIP

What IS it Man?!

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 04:31:26 PM »

Axl is on Tijuana Jail?

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 04:32:40 PM »

Axl is on Tijuana Jail?

A scream right at the end ok that's it hihi

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 04:34:16 PM »

That song just begged to be a GNR tune. Ever since the first time I heard it when it was released, you could tell that Gilby wrote it for GNR. Axl could have taken that to a new level.
 I think a GNR 1994-95 album would have been basically what you said. Gilby,Slash, and Duff solo songs, plus whatever Axl had at the time.
 IRS and CITR were not likely to have been written at that time, so they dont make the cut. Only Cd song we know of from back then is This I Love.

WhatIsItMan
VIP

What IS it Man?!

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 04:36:00 PM »

Axl is on Tijuana Jail?

Who can confirm this?  It's not in the liner notes, it's not listed on this website, and I don't hear Axl.

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 04:38:55 PM »

IRS and CITR were not likely to have been written at that time, so they dont make the cut. Only Cd song we know of from back then is This I Love.

Yeah but Blues and CITR seem to me to be old GnR mind set.

And I don't care what anyone says, I believe IRS is based on that period of GnR so that's why i put it in. We dunno what This I love sounds like so I didn't include it no

Chief
Legend

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2006, 04:41:00 PM »

he's not on that song. he's only on Dead Flowers.

Axl is on Tijuana Jail?

Who can confirm this?  It's not in the liner notes, it's not listed on this website, and I don't hear Axl.

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2006, 04:41:07 PM »

Axl is on Tijuana Jail?

Who can confirm this?? It's not in the liner notes, it's not listed on this website, and I don't hear Axl.

I'l post the clip if I'm allowed, but i don't think I am.  If you have the CD it's at 4:35-4:37 peace Seriously I've always thought so, and i know it's not in the liners no But it's him for sure yes
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 04:44:57 PM by Neemo » Logged

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2006, 05:58:39 PM »

there's no way to tell because they would have been a team..ideas would have been added and dropped.. if axl was apart of slash's snakepit it would have been cool... Even if axl sang on ain't life grand, the playing by slash was great..

eric dover rod jackson<axl rose

Also songs from new gnr would have been different if slash was there, you would have definetly had more straight forward solos n riffs

What might have been or could have happened is all bullshit..

if gnr stayed gnr with those guys anything was possible axl could have brought the softer side like twat and the rest hard rockers
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2006, 06:30:56 PM »

I really liked Gilby's stuff (from that era) the best... Pawnshop Guitars and The Hangover have the real makings of a solid mid 90's GN'R album.... apparently Axl was very P!SSED when some of those songs turned up on Gilby's solo discs... as evidently there was some miscommunication between Gilby and Axl [Axl apparently said he "liked" some of Gilby's songs (translation- ear mark it for GN'R)- and Gilby took that to mean that Axl was just being complimentary- but not that he was interested in any of the material for GN'R]. That's too bad... I've always kind of felt that GN'R missed out by not writing some original music with Gilby... dude's got a good ear.

I never really got into Slash's Snakepit... there's some great guitar work on those albums, but GN'R would be playing bingo halls right now if they had tried to release and tour behind that in the mid 90s. Ten Minute Warning and Duff's other solo work never did much for me either. I did like Neurotic Outsiders (with Duff and Matt) A LOT though... he11... I like Neurotic Outsiders more than I like Velvet Revolver.

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2006, 06:34:51 PM »

I really liked Gilby's stuff (from that era) the best... Pawnshop Guitars and The Hangover have the real makings of a solid mid 90's GN'R album.... apparently Axl was very P!SSED when some of those songs turned up on Gilby's solo discs... as evidently there was some miscommunication between Gilby and Axl [Axl apparently said he "liked" some of Gilby's songs (translation- ear mark it for GN'R)- and Gilby took that to mean that Axl was just being complimentary- but not that he was interested in any of the material for GN'R]. That's too bad... I've always kind of felt that GN'R missed out by not writing some original music with Gilby... dude's got a good ear.
Good point. I always felt bad for Gilby. Another thing that led to his firing was some minor comment he made in RS magazine.

GunsN'Gravy
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2006, 06:38:29 PM »

Gilby is good, but what heard is southern rock, almost country rock, that in my opinion would suck for GnR.

Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2006, 06:58:24 PM »

Yeah... that's a pretty good assessment... but he's got that good fundamental "groove" to his music... Axl and Slash could have taken that base and toughened it up into a groovier but yet still GN'R sound that would have done well (maybe not best band in the world good- but well) in the mid/late 90's scene. That's always been my theory anyway...

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2006, 07:12:37 PM »

I think from say 95-99 gnr sales ingeneral would have suffered, they were still scene as something that started from the 80's and sometimes thought of as the band that was help killed by grunge.. Take your limps your kid rocks your korns or mansons that were selling big, gnr was just not right then... Once 2002 came along it was the right time.. For me oh my god and live era showed that gnr wasn't in demand at that moment..
kaddisonmoore
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2006, 07:17:05 PM »

it would never be as succsesful as say afd or illusions.  the songs are good but they wouldnt be a gnr song you know i mean axl would put otherstuff on there. it would be good, but probably not great

the hardest part this troubled heart has ever yet been through now...
http://www.invisionplus.net/forums/index.php?mforum=icecream&act=idx
Greatest Fucking Forum Ever Made By Myself and a friend
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2006, 07:21:10 PM »

Gilby is good, but what heard is southern rock, almost country rock, that in my opinion would suck for GnR.

look at Izzy, his solo stuff is hardly GnR material, but he was the genious behind many classic gnr tunes

there's no way to tell because they would have been a team..ideas would have been added and dropped.. if axl was apart of slash's snakepit it would have been cool... Even if axl sang on ain't life grand, the playing by slash was great..

eric dover rod jackson<axl rose

Also songs from new gnr would have been different if slash was there, you would have definetly had more straight forward solos n riffs

What might have been or could have happened is all bullshit..

if gnr stayed gnr with those guys anything was possible axl could have brought the softer side like twat and the rest hard rockers

I know the final product would've been different from all these tunes, but I was trying to convey that there is a solid framework of songs there, IMO, thought it'd be something cool to discuss as we (hopefully) wind down to Chinese democracy, to see where the band may have gone in 1995 as compared to what we may hear in 2006. ok

and while it may not have been the best song of all time I think we would've had a solid album to listen to from track 1 to track 13 yes

I agree that GnR was doomed to fail with the arrival of grunge and the korn/tool/manson stuff even if they remained together

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2006, 07:23:13 PM »

neem o they weren't doomed to failure any other way then maybe album sales wise.. Touring they would have remained huge imo.. Their fan following was just that big, but not everyone was going to run out to buy new albums

Sometimes timing is much more important then how good your tunes are..
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2006, 09:55:02 PM »

I've been listening to The new GnR leaks (of course hihi ) and live songs from 2002

then i got thinking and pulled out:
Slash - 5 O'Clock Somewhere
Gilby - Pawnshop Guitars
Duff - Believe in Me
Duff - Beautiful Disease

Theoretically, let's say GnR kept Gilby, and Duff and Slash stayed.

What would an album released in 1995 have sounded like?

13 songs I pulled are,

The Blues - GnR
CITR - GnR
IRS - GnR
Neither Can I - Slash
Beggars and Hangers On - Slash
Good To Be Alive - Slash
Doin' Fine - Slash
Believe In Me - Duff
Man In the Meadow - Duff
Rain - Duff
Tiquana Jail - Gilby
(Axl's scream at the end and Slash's Guitar ok Fucking Beautiful I tell Ya)
Dead Flowers - Gilby

(I wanted to post them all but I'm not allowed peace )

Would it have worked? Thoughts?
[/quote

That would have been an awesome  album.
Or even if Life  is Grand had come out under GNR's name.
The point is, plenty of great music has been released since 1995. They all are very talented.
The tragedy is that they were greater than the sum of their parts, which means  together  they wrote  songs  that could not be beat. Separately they were good, but not as good as together. Nonetheless, I would love  to have had the album  you mention. It would be a  classic.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: