Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2024, 11:59:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228144 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Radio Stations Playing IRS - TWAT - Better (was WAAf in Boston is playing IRS)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Radio Stations Playing IRS - TWAT - Better (was WAAf in Boston is playing IRS)  (Read 83550 times)
blaqktiger
Guitars Suck
Rocker

The only man to pull off a Red Suit - BfoOt

« Reply #220 on: February 20, 2006, 09:01:12 AM »

Interesting... perhaps he meant he won't play it right now but will at 3am when GN'R management won't find out about it hihi

07-06-2006 -- Hammersmith Apollo.
11-06-2006 -- Donington Park.
30-07-2006 -- Wembley Arena.

www.robinfinck.com
Rocket_queen125
« Reply #221 on: February 20, 2006, 09:08:02 AM »

When i called in and asked about it they were like yea cease and desist this and told me they didnt care what axl managment said so.... yea or maybe the fack that i called it in like ever 10 mins
darknemus
I lost my threads and all I got was this lousy title
Legend

A true fan - no, not that 'truefan' (where is he?)

« Reply #222 on: February 20, 2006, 09:11:17 AM »

When i called in and asked about it they were like yea cease and desist this and told me they didnt care what axl managment said so.... yea or maybe the fack that i called it in like ever 10 mins

lol - again, you don't just "ignore" a Cease / Desist.  It sounds to me like there's some sort of 'wink, wink, nudge nudge' agreement between them and management.  It also jives with the story I posted about the meeting that took place at the station Friday morning.  Where management (station management, that is) said that band management said play the song in heavy rotation.

-darknemus

It's not how you're thinking, or as you've imagined
To live in a shade of beliefs that were fashioned
to leave you in slavery and drain out your soul....
illusionone
VIP

I never wanted you to be so full of anger. . . .

« Reply #223 on: February 20, 2006, 09:19:12 AM »

They're playing I.R.S. again 8:55am EST

Wake up. . . .time to die
Rocket_queen125
« Reply #224 on: February 20, 2006, 09:24:38 AM »

yea thats what i was saying earlier that it was a management thing.. they just said that it wasnt realeased officially and said that they were getting a lot of good feedback
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #225 on: February 20, 2006, 10:10:14 AM »

lol - again, you don't just "ignore" a Cease / Desist.? It sounds to me like there's some sort of 'wink, wink, nudge nudge' agreement between them and management.? It also jives with the story I posted about the meeting that took place at the station Friday morning.? Where management (station management, that is) said that band management said play the song in heavy rotation.

-darknemus

I talked to a lawyer friend of mine last night and actually asked him about this.? I gave him the "hypothetical" particulars of the situation, from top to bottom, and said he knows how HE'D defend the radio station on the C&D side.

Purely his suppostion, based on what we know, of course.? And, of course, we don't know everything.

IF Axl's lawyers sent a C&D to a radio station, the station could ask for proof of copyright...and continue to use the material until Axl's lawyers could provide one.? It's not a GREAT legal leg to stand on, but it would work. At this point, the copyright isn't something in the public domain.? I'm sure there is documenation sitting on some laywers desk somewhere which can prove the copyright on it exists, but, at this point, there is no "album" out there that is definitive proof that Axl and GnR have published, or plan to publish, the material. There is only the C&D's insistance that they will.? In MOST cases, anyone getting a C&D letter in this case would just hold off and wait.? But, the truth is, they don't HAVE to.? At least not according to my friend.? They CAN ask for either some sort of proof, or a hearing to obtain that proof, and ignore the C&D until such time as the proof is provided to them.? So, assuming some stations are actually thumbing their nose at the C&D, this could be why.? The station(s) are going to argue fair use until someone can prove to them otherwise...

Of course, it could be that they haven't gotten them, either, as dark suggests.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 10:20:14 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
darknemus
Legend

« Reply #226 on: February 20, 2006, 10:13:46 AM »

One interesting thing.  The two times i've actually heard the song intro'ed they say something like 'Well, we think its Guns n' Roses anyway" "maybe this is Guns n' Roses, maybe it isn't - but this is going to be on Chinese Democracy"

It seems like they're leaving themselves a bit of legal wiggle room on the Guns n' Roses thing - however, their player clearly shows it as Guns n' Roses - I.R.S.

-darknemus
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 10:17:59 AM by darknemus » Logged

Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #227 on: February 20, 2006, 10:18:19 AM »

One interesting thing.  The two times i've actually heard the song intro'ed they say something like 'Well, we think its Guns n' Roses anyway" "maybe this is Guns n' Roses, maybe it isn't - but this is going to be on Chinese Democracy"

It seems like their leaving themselves a bit of legal wiggle room on the Guns n' Roses thing - however, their player clearly shows it as Guns n' Roses - I.R.S.

-darknemus

exactly. i mean, a song off the internet. for all we know I could have written these songs (well maybe not ...)

erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #228 on: February 20, 2006, 10:53:57 AM »

or they got a c&d letter...

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
Luigi
VIP

You Never Know

« Reply #229 on: February 20, 2006, 10:56:02 AM »

One thats said THANK YOU

A Lesson Learned is Life at its Best
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #230 on: February 20, 2006, 10:59:53 AM »

One thing i'll repest from what i said in another thread-  yesterday ( around 530 PM) i called WAAF and actually asked them about a C & D-and they didnt know anything about it- in fact the guy asked me if i was supposed to be the one delivering the message (i dont know if he was joking or not, but I assured him I wasnt and was just trying to clear up confusion on an internet rumor), and he said to me if they got one would "they would certainly comply with it".

now it could be it ( the C&D) came thru on the fax machine this morning or it could be they are repeating the rumor i and probably several others called in and asked about to help promote themselves as some sort of' fuck the management we're rebels!' type gimmick, all the while doing exactly what management wants.

i dont doubt that its possible they would have gotten it and still played it while waiting for proof of copyright-but in my experience most radio station folks are cowards (note not ALL) who will cave to pressure from artists/upper management/etc. because they dont want to have to even think about fighting lawsuits.

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
darknemus
Legend

« Reply #231 on: February 20, 2006, 11:06:35 AM »

Well if the C&D came through the fax machine, they seemed ok with still playing the song at 8:55 AM this morning.  Smiley

-darknemus

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #232 on: February 20, 2006, 11:07:32 AM »

Has anyone made a request for it lately? Mike Hsu is a big GnR fan.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #233 on: February 20, 2006, 11:14:55 AM »

Why are some people in this thread acting like there's a possibility these songs haven't been copyrighted? Even amateurs have their lyrics and books copyrighted.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #234 on: February 20, 2006, 11:18:33 AM »

Why are some people in this thread acting like there's a possibility these songs haven't been copyrighted? Even amateurs have their lyrics and books copyrighted.

Hmmmm, I don't see anyone having said that anywhere.

I've said the radio stations are within their rights to "play dumb" after receiving a C&D, and can ask copies of the actual legal docs showing a copyright exists....because, as yet, there is nothing in the public domain that would show that copyright.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Rocket_queen125
« Reply #235 on: February 20, 2006, 11:18:58 AM »

they will play it much to the dismay of axl rose and his lawyers is what the DJ just said

« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 11:21:07 AM by Kelso » Logged
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #236 on: February 20, 2006, 11:23:35 AM »

there is nothing in the public domain that would show that copyright.
Try the Writers Guild.

darknemus
Legend

« Reply #237 on: February 20, 2006, 11:26:34 AM »

they will play it much to the dismay of axl rose and his lawyers is what the DJ just said

Yep, the DJ did say that.  Which just screams fucking 'wink wink nudge nudge' - again, a radio station does NOT just blatantly defy a C&D.  Especially with an almost taunt like that.

-darknemus

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #238 on: February 20, 2006, 11:27:33 AM »

Yep, the DJ did say that.? Which just screams fucking 'wink wink nudge nudge' - again, a radio station does NOT just blatantly defy a C&D.? Especially with an almost taunt like that.

-darknemus

In that case, why is Boston so special???

T_Roxie
« Reply #239 on: February 20, 2006, 11:31:10 AM »

Hmmmm, I don't see anyone having said that anywhere.

I've said the radio stations are within their rights to "play dumb" after receiving a C&D, and can ask copies of the actual legal docs showing a copyright exists....because, as yet, there is nothing in the public domain that would show that copyright.

Legally, copyright exists as soon as you write it.  There's no process you have to go through to prove it (like patenting).
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 35 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: