Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 09:28:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  New or Old?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: New or Old?  (Read 5070 times)
Sparksry
VIP

Keep Calm and Welcome to the Jungle

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2006, 08:40:45 PM »

Sure you did .... lol i agree there might be something even better then better on the album

So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?
    - Stewie Griffin-
KillYourIdols
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2006, 11:28:08 AM »

Guys, there is a lot of wiggle room in the setlist. They can get rid of a lot of songs from the 2002 tour and still haev room for the clasics and a bunch of new songs...they could easily lose songs like Think About You, Out Ta Get Me, Live and Let Die, Rocket Queen, My Michelle, hell even Mr Brownstone I wouldn't miss. Thats like room for 6 new songs...plus ones we've already heard.
Jeramy
Rocker

« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2006, 01:33:46 PM »

it doesn't really matter to me, they could play cover songs for all i care as long axl sings them

"He's in my band, that's where Slash is, fuckhead. Go home!"
DCGNR2006
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2006, 01:38:47 PM »

I remember I went to the 2002 MSG show with about 10 people, and they were all asking me what I'd want them to play, and at THAT time, I was like
" Madagascar, the blues, CD, Silkworms & Rihyadd", the other 9 guys just went to hear Jungle , SCOM, etc.

So now, after hearing 4 new tunes, I would want to hear all of the above, plus all of the new tunes, plus a few other classics -
fridayfan13
Rocker

« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2006, 03:46:33 PM »

i dont know, this is a really hard question. we are all dieing to hear new stuff, but its hard to sell out an arena and expect people to be happy that they didnt hear axl sing november rain, jungle, rocket queen, paradise city, patience, ect.
Anesthesia
Opening Act

June 28!! :)

« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2006, 04:03:53 PM »

Since I'm one of the younger fans, I've never had the opportunity to see Guns N' Roses
before.

So I want to hear old songs as well as new. 50 - 50 of old and new wolud be perfect for me

? peace

/Anesthesia

You're life's an open book
Don't close it 'fore it's done
A Private Eye
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2006, 04:44:37 PM »

Guns wouldnt play a lot of the old songs bc of the shit they get frm the media and the exbandmates. I know it sounds stupid but Axl probably feels like he has to prove to the media that the new band is just as good and can kick as much if not more ass as the old band did. Classic songs will always be played thats a fact unless they (slash and duff) find away to prevent him from doing so. But i cant wait for a show mainly because im so fucking excited to hear some more of the new tunes, i have to find a DC for my iBook so i can get the shows!

I don't think Slash and Duff would be allowed to do that, it's possible that they may e able to stop Axl having the rights to all the old material, but as far as I know anybody can play any song they want live as long as they don't record it and release it I think. I'm not 100% about the record and release part but it's totally legal for anybody to play whatever songs they like in a live situation without any form of legal implications or royalty payments.

If Carlsberg made GNR and VR forums.............they'd probably have made www.gnrevolution.com
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2006, 06:45:55 PM »

I'd like to hear how axl sings better live these days... At least teh very high parts
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2006, 03:52:40 PM »

I am more interested in hearing new songs, but it's always best to have a mixture of both. IF CD isn't out before the tour, then it would be completely unwise to play all or mostly new songs because the crowd won't react as well when they are hearing something for the first time. If CD is out by then, they can play mostly new songs but its wise to have some old mixed in because there are always going to be those fans who want to hear the hits.
Fusion
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2006, 04:12:42 PM »

I don't get some of the responses here, people saying it should be all new stuff.  Axl probably won't even have enough new material to cover a whole 2.5 hour show.  That's a lot of songs required to fill that time, and while Axl may have a lot of songs not all of them will be ideal to play live.

Plus he has to also cater to the fanbase who prefers the old material.

It'll be a 50/50 mix, or close to it.  To me, there is no other way.

And that's plenty, considering that 80% of the songs come from the old band (4 albums out of five).  To have 50% of the songs in concert coming from Chi Dem when it represents only 20% of the band's total material means the new songs are more than well represented.

a.k.a. KBear
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2006, 04:23:54 PM »

I don't get some of the responses here, people saying it should be all new stuff.  Axl probably won't even have enough new material to cover a whole 2.5 hour show.  That's a lot of songs required to fill that time, and while Axl may have a lot of songs not all of them will be ideal to play live.

Wow I just didn't know 26~32 songs were not enough to fill 2.6 hour show.
noonespecial
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2006, 05:32:40 PM »

I would prefer newer stuff or, if he's going to do the old stuff...put a new twist on it...ya know, Dylan does that all the time, he puts a new arrangement on a song that has whiskers longer than ZZTop and you're like Whoa! But if he didn't try anything new (with the old stuff) in 2002 I doubt he'll do an new arrangements to the older stuff....that would require rehearsals (LOL) God forbid hihi But seriously, I could do without a lot of the older stuff that gets played a lot (WTTJ, SCOM, KOHD-Dylan's version or his reggae version) ya know, give me Pretty Tied Up, give me Bad Obession or Anything Goes 2 Night rather than another 10 minute version of November Rain....that's just my take though Tongue I know he has a lot of younger fans so he's got to do the older stuff...
ARC
VIP

DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE TO THE RADIO

« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2006, 05:34:31 PM »

You can't have a GN'R show without the classics.

New album or no new album, you wanna hear the classics.
Fusion
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2006, 06:52:14 PM »

I don't get some of the responses here, people saying it should be all new stuff.? Axl probably won't even have enough new material to cover a whole 2.5 hour show.? That's a lot of songs required to fill that time, and while Axl may have a lot of songs not all of them will be ideal to play live.

Wow I just didn't know 26~32 songs were not enough to fill 2.6 hour show.

Do you actually think he's going to want to play every single new song he's got during one show?  I doubt it.

Not to mention that a lot of those songs are going to follow on the second and third albums...for the most part he likely won't want to play those until those albums are out.  Plus, some songs just don't translate well to a live version.

a.k.a. KBear
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2006, 08:03:03 PM »

Do you actually think he's going to want to play every single new song he's got during one show?  I doubt it.

Positive.
I wouldn't say they'd like to display every single new song they've got on a show tho. GNR most likely has far more songs than that, to begin with.
If circumstances permit, they will give Chinese Democracy shows. It all depends.
Pink Floyd, Queen etc would take this way in the old days, I presume.

or the most part he likely won't want to play those until those albums are out.  Plus, some songs just don't translate well to a live version.

How you know? Working on a song could mean anything, such as translating it into a live version.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: