Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2024, 10:41:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228144 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  use your illusion 1
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: use your illusion 1  (Read 18559 times)
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2006, 11:59:19 AM »

Yea I hear ya Mike. ?There are plenty of fillers on II as well as a few on I. ?If UYI was just one album with the mentioned fillers left out I believe it would rank right up there with AFD. ?

If I had to combine them to make one killer album it would be:
Civil War
Breakdown
Pretty Tied Up
Locomotive
You Could Be Mine
Estranged
Coma
Don't Damn Me
Perfect Crime
Garden of Eden
Right Nxt Door to Hell
14 Years
November Rain
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2006, 12:03:32 PM »

The problem is, Slash's best stuff ( most of what you just mentioned ) is not exactly what you were hearing on that Lame-ass Snakepit album. I think Axl always wanted to play with him, but he wanted to concentrate more on epics like Estranged & Coma, wanted to create nothing but amazing songs like that, & Slash wasn't going to go that way. While I don't think anyone is happy that we've been waiting 15 years, I am now beginning to believe it would have been better than them just putting the GNR name to that Snakepit stuff, and it becoming just another album in your collection.? NOW, I like some the VR stuff and would have been curious to hear Axl work with those songs, but sh*t happens...you know?

Actually, Slash brought the song"Coma" to Axl to write lyrics to ok
that was his baby

Estranged and Novemeber Rain were Axl's peace
gnr_12
Rocker

Nothin' Lasts Forever...

« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2006, 06:11:04 PM »

" i just want to burry apetite.. i dont want to live with that album through my entire life. I have to burry it. Rather than just make a bunch of songs that are fun, were going through with a fine tooth comb."

Axl Rose on UYI

VH1 Behind the Music.

So... If that Cd took what 3 years? and it was a fine tooth comb... well.. 15 years should be insane!

That goes for all you punks in the press, That want to start shit by printin' lies, Instead of the things we said, That means you, Andy Secher, Mick Wall ,Bob Guccione Jr.
Get In the Fuckin Ring Punks
Sparksry
VIP

Keep Calm and Welcome to the Jungle

« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2006, 08:41:03 PM »

thats what u would think  :%??

So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?
    - Stewie Griffin-
gnr_12
Rocker

Nothin' Lasts Forever...

« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2006, 08:43:08 PM »

LoL the suspense is KILLING me...

That goes for all you punks in the press, That want to start shit by printin' lies, Instead of the things we said, That means you, Andy Secher, Mick Wall ,Bob Guccione Jr.
Sparksry
VIP

Keep Calm and Welcome to the Jungle

« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2006, 08:50:34 PM »

me too

So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?
    - Stewie Griffin-
gnr_12
Rocker

Nothin' Lasts Forever...

« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2006, 08:55:41 PM »

'hAH slash proclaimed UYI 1 and 2 as Guns' "white Album" but just not quite as good as THE whitr album

Barrelofagun69
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2006, 11:16:40 PM »

then the rest for me is just tons of filler really... So many songs sound alike lots of yelling or similar..
terrible like
bad obsession
you ain't the first
bad apples
garden of eden
dust n bones
back off bitch

I think if any album was slash's album it was this one, I don't mean his album as in idea, just the guitar playing on this album is amazing and saves many songs... Like The garden he fucking owns that song, Coma, november rain both him and axl rock, but the guitar is amazing.. For me on a lot of these songs the band itself instrumentaly were tighter or the saviors of many of the

Blasphemy!! My take is that if any album was Izzy's, it was this one. You've listed three of his best songs in the filler section, songs that are among the best on the album.

Still not quite sure why people prefer II to I. The overall sound and production is a lot more raw and concise. Not as overly complex or calculating.

It's easily Izzy's finest hour. Slash is an amazing guitar player, but we all know who the better songwriter was.

RESPEKT
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2006, 12:14:39 AM »

Great album.  I forgot what I was going to say.  took so long to get to this thread.
WeHeldTogether
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2006, 12:16:21 AM »

Yeah, lets keep this thread at the top.

IMO, Use Your Illusion I is an excellent album.  It's got the heavy ("Double Talkin' Jive" with that excellent outro,) and the soft, like "November Rain." and "The Garden."  And of course, there is "Coma" which is awesome.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2006, 12:19:11 AM »

right, my posts will suffer just for the sake of posting!
gnr_12
Rocker

Nothin' Lasts Forever...

« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2006, 12:21:12 AM »

Man. I have been listening to UYI's ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL day..  after this bastard fuckingshit came on this forum get in the ring took over and was played numerous times... kinda took away some anger ok

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2006, 03:09:18 AM »

then the rest for me is just tons of filler really... So many songs sound alike lots of yelling or similar..
terrible like
bad obsession
you ain't the first
bad apples
garden of eden
dust n bones
back off bitch

I think if any album was slash's album it was this one, I don't mean his album as in idea, just the guitar playing on this album is amazing and saves many songs... Like The garden he fucking owns that song, Coma, november rain both him and axl rock, but the guitar is amazing.. For me on a lot of these songs the band itself instrumentaly were tighter or the saviors of many of the

Blasphemy!! My take is that if any album was Izzy's, it was this one. You've listed three of his best songs in the filler section, songs that are among the best on the album.

Still not quite sure why people prefer II to I. The overall sound and production is a lot more raw and concise. Not as overly complex or calculating.

It's easily Izzy's finest hour. Slash is an amazing guitar player, but we all know who the better songwriter was.

RESPEKT

I am saying that I felt the guitars are what held my interest in a bunch of these songs..  Lyrics don't always impress me, it's not what holds my interest in a song..
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2006, 03:34:14 AM »

terrible like
bad obsession
you ain't the first
bad apples
garden of eden
dust n bones
back off bitch

RESPEKT

I am saying that I felt the guitars are what held my interest in a bunch of these songs..  Lyrics don't always impress me, it's not what holds my interest in a song..

Mike G, if guitars are what hold your interest, what is it about Back Off Bitch, Bad Apples, Garden Of Eden, and Dust N Bones that makes you call them terrible?  The guitars on all those songs kick ass, at least in my opinion  beer
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2006, 03:42:18 AM »

terrible like
bad obsession
you ain't the first
bad apples
garden of eden
dust n bones
back off bitch

RESPEKT

I am saying that I felt the guitars are what held my interest in a bunch of these songs..? Lyrics don't always impress me, it's not what holds my interest in a song..

Mike G, if guitars are what hold your interest, what is it about Back Off Bitch, Bad Apples, Garden Of Eden, and Dust N Bones that makes you call them terrible?? The guitars on all those songs kick ass, at least in my opinion? beer

I don't even know how to answer this..  I think just about any gnr song has good guitar playing just some as a whole don't interest me.. I mentioned lyrics, some songs are just not what I like vocally.. Gardne of eden does have a really good solo, just the song itself just sounds like a big rambling like oh my god
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #95 on: March 22, 2006, 04:00:16 AM »

It seems everybody prefers UYI 1 over UYI 2; the second album even sold more. I think if I really had to choose between the two, I probably would go with UYI 2 just because it has my favorite GNR song ever, "Estranged." But UYI 1 and UYI 2 are two totally different albums with two very different tones; UYI 1 rocks harder; it's heavier; and the yellow and red cover really fits the mood, while the blue cover on UYI 2 fits perfectly, as well. They symbolize the atmosphere that you see and feel and experience while listening to each album. It largely depends on what type of mood I'm in as to which UYI album I wish to listen to.

I think every GNR fan has sat down and wrote his track list for the ULTIMATE UYI album at some point or another. I have TRIED to, but I can never decide on the full list. There are just too many good songs to choose from. And I don't see why any TRUE GnR fan would want to even THINK about the idea of them releasing only one album over two; we now have a whole CD more of tunes to listen to than we would've. And some of the songs listed as supposed "filler" I find quite good. "Dust N Bones" and "Bad Obsession" are two of my favorite tracks on UYI 1. And "You Ain't The First" is just a really fun, drunk sing-a-long. I can just close my eyes while listening to it and I'm suddenly at the bar with Axl and Slash and Duff and the gang, a pitcher of beer in each hand. I believe UYI 1 does contain my three least favorite GnR songs, though. I've never been a big fan of "The Garden," although I know a lot of you others are. I mean, I like it; it's Guns N Roses, how could I not? But it is the only song I often skip. It makes me ... dizzy, or something. Which is kind of cool in a way but yeah ... Also, for some reason, "Back Off Bitch" and "Bad Apples" have never really jumped out at me. They're the only two songs that I still don't know all the lyrics, too. I enjoy both the songs when I hear them, but they don't leave a lasting impression on me. I never put in the CD just so I can hear those songs as I sometimes do when I get an itch for "Dead Horse" or "Coma" or "Perfect Crime."

If I did have to rank all of GnR albums, I guess I would AFD at the top, with UYI 2 a close second. Then probably UYI 1 and LIES (which would be higher if it only had more songs). The GNR CD I listen to the least would be The Spaghetti Incident, which isn't TRULY a GNR album since it contains no original material. I have to be in a certain mood to listen to TSI; although I often put it in just to take a quick listen to "Since I Don't Have You."

I don't think any GNR album contains any filler, though. Even GNR's weakest songs kick a ton more ass than any other band's "strongest" song.

Here Today . . .
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2006, 04:49:45 AM »

absolutley love it

bar a couple of duds, (bad obsession, back off bitch, perfect crime), I think it's easily the stronger of the two Illusion albums.

I used to love listening to the second side (back in the tape and LP days), it rounds out very strongly

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
Oh My Choking Soul
VIP

Flee the scene...

« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2006, 05:05:29 AM »

Yea I hear ya Mike. ?There are plenty of fillers on II as well as a few on I. ?If UYI was just one album with the mentioned fillers left out I believe it would rank right up there with AFD. ?

/sign

Woooo!
Headliner

Yeah, we all know Better...

« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2006, 05:05:33 AM »

I disagree mate. Use Your Illusion is the best UYI album. It's full of rockin' tunes. That's what Guns N' Roses means to a lot of people. I like more emotional songs like Breakdown but UYI 1 just outclasses UY2. I hadn't listened to it since last summer and I listened to it this week.

Awesome. However Appetite for Destruction is still the greatest ever.

There's not anymore that I can do...
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #99 on: March 22, 2006, 04:51:19 PM »

terrible like
bad obsession
you ain't the first
bad apples
garden of eden
dust n bones
back off bitch

RESPEKT

I am saying that I felt the guitars are what held my interest in a bunch of these songs..? Lyrics don't always impress me, it's not what holds my interest in a song..

Mike G, if guitars are what hold your interest, what is it about Back Off Bitch, Bad Apples, Garden Of Eden, and Dust N Bones that makes you call them terrible?? The guitars on all those songs kick ass, at least in my opinion? beer

I don't even know how to answer this..? I think just about any gnr song has good guitar playing just some as a whole don't interest me.. I mentioned lyrics, some songs are just not what I like vocally.. Gardne of eden does have a really good solo, just the song itself just sounds like a big rambling like oh my god

Gotta disagree with you on the lyrics for Garden of Eden, there are some killer lines there:

most organized religions make a mockery out of humanity our governments are dangerous and out control
the garden of eden is just another graveyard and if they had someone to buy than I'm sure they'd sell my soul
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: