Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2024, 10:55:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228144 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  use your illusion 1
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: use your illusion 1  (Read 18568 times)
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« on: March 20, 2006, 09:44:10 AM »

I haven't listened to this album over and over for quite some time, probably many years to be honest.. So this time around I almost listened like a new fan or with different views (not as a gnr maniac).. I know people will get on me for this, but I feel this is the weakest album out of all their studio works...

The album has great tunes
coma
dtj
perfect crime
right next door to hell
don't damn me
november rain

then the next level lower
don't cry
the garden

then the rest for me is just tons of filler really... So many songs sound alike lots of yelling or similar..
terrible like
bad obsession
you ain't the first
bad apples
garden of eden
dust n bones
back off bitch

I think if any album was slash's album it was this one, I don't mean his album as in idea, just the guitar playing on this album is amazing and saves many songs... Like The garden he fucking owns that song, Coma, november rain both him and axl rock, but the guitar is amazing.. For me on a lot of these songs the band itself instrumentaly were tighter or the saviors of many of the songs.. Cause without some of that work these are just blah songs

Either way I just feel this is the one gnr album loaded with filler, with hints of brilliance
MR W,AXL ROSE
Welsh, and luvin' it
Legend

live,breathe eat GNR.

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 09:56:00 AM »

Mmmm,bad apples is one of my favs but each of the songs you listed in your filler list cant really be called fillers.the reason i say this is coz if they werent on an album with songs like NR and COMA then i think they would be classed on a higher level.maybee you dont agree but over time,each of the so-called filler songs have all been my fav at some point,so for a song to be someones fav at some point means it cant really be classed as filler.i know what i mean but thats jus my view  peace

╔═╦╦╦═╦═╗ ╔═╗ ╔═╦═╦═╦═╦═╗
║║║║║║║╚╣ ║║║ ║═║║║╚╣═╣╚╣
╠╗║║║║╠╗║ ║║║ ║╚╣║╠╗║═╬╗║
╚═╩═╩╩╩═╝ ╚╩╝ ╚╩╩═╩═╩═╩═╝
Gaymo, the Hobbit
Banned
Legend

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 09:59:01 AM »

don't cry is one of the best songs ever, imo...bad obsession and back off bitch kick ass too,

The only son of a bitch with enough piss, vinegar and kill-?em-all attitude to shove an M-80 up rock?s collective ass right now is Axl Rose. [LA Weekly]
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 10:00:18 AM »

Yea I hear ya Mike. ?There are plenty of fillers on II as well as a few on I. ?If UYI was just one album with the mentioned fillers left out I believe it would rank right up there with AFD. ?

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 10:01:46 AM »

Mmmm,bad apples is one of my favs but each of the songs you listed in your filler list cant really be called fillers.the reason i say this is coz if they werent on an album with songs like NR and COMA then i think they would be classed on a higher level.maybee you dont agree but over time,each of the so-called filler songs have all been my fav at some point,so for a song to be someones fav at some point means it cant really be classed as filler.i know what i mean but thats jus my view? peace

I like evry song I have listed as filler, loved them to at one point back in the 90's.. Just certain songs have remained fresh ot me whil teh others are just not catching my interest as much

Many people that were growing up during the illusion's era like myself never saw the songs the way one might see them now.. It's an amazing thing to love an album for 4 years heavily then listen to it many years later with a different mind set.. It's like tv shows you loved years back you catch now and don't understand what you saw in them, or may notice another reason teh show was good beside your first choice, maybe a different character..
grendood
My favorite word is: Bellend
Banned
Rocker

caught on film.

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 10:03:11 AM »

both illusion albums are mostly rubbish and overblown.

cant stand listening to them.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 10:03:23 AM »

don't cry is one of the best songs ever, imo...bad obsession and back off bitch kick ass too,

bad obsession always annoyed the shit out of me, way to much going on.. just don't like the tune

I just hear a lot of angst in many of these songs and it becomes repetative to me.. Like 5 songs are the same in ways
MR W,AXL ROSE
Welsh, and luvin' it
Legend

live,breathe eat GNR.

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 10:06:05 AM »

Yea I hear ya Mike. ?There are plenty of fillers on II as well as a few on I. ?If UYI was just one album with the mentioned fillers left out I believe it would rank right up there with AFD. ?
good point,but what about the other album wed be left with of the fillers.dont tell me.......VR

MR W,AXL ROSE
Welsh, and luvin' it
Legend

live,breathe eat GNR.

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 10:06:31 AM »

both illusion albums are mostly rubbish and overblown.

cant stand listening to them.
bellend  hihi

axe
Rocker

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 10:07:35 AM »

That is a common thing people say. But when you give a 100 fans the task of cropping UYI into one 74-minute cd, you'll get about 100 different tracklists. Who's tracklist is right? Who is to say which songs belong there and which don't when everybody has their own favorites? Besides, even one person's likes and dislikes keep changing from time to time, depending on what mood he is and everything. That "a lot of something for everyone" attitude makes UYI such a great record as it is.
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 10:07:39 AM »

good point,but what about the other album wed be left with of the fillers.dont tell me.......VR

Release the filler album instead of The Spagetti Incident. ?I think we could of done without that one. hihi

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 10:08:03 AM »

you know it is true that both have filler but I am glad they did release all these songs because look at how much less material this group would have had out... Sure if gnr stayd together and kept giving us material then one album of the best would have rocked, but since we have had nothing in 15 years anything is better then nothing.. Many songs I am not crazy about still have rocking solos n riffs
MR W,AXL ROSE
Welsh, and luvin' it
Legend

live,breathe eat GNR.

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 10:09:22 AM »

Release the filler album instead of The Spagetti Incident. ?I think we could of done without that one. hihi
am i the only one around here who realllllyyyyy loves TSI

The Dog
Legend

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2006, 10:09:51 AM »

bad apples is decent, if i hear it once every few months i'm ok.  Dust N Bones is a GREAT song though....to me its the "14 years " of UY1.  But I agree...UY1 is def the weakest GNR album.  Like that one dude said, if you put the greatest songs from both 1 and 2, you have an incredible CD - almost as good as appetite.  But I am glad they released 2 since we haven't had much after that hahaha.  I know exactly what you mean though, a lot of the UYI songs I liked A LOT when they first came out, but haven't really stood the test of time in terms of a re listen.  I find myself skipping a lot of them.

Which UYI sold more copies?  I think it was 2 right?

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2006, 10:10:24 AM »

That is a common thing people say. But when you give a 100 fans the task of cropping UYI into one 74-minute cd, you'll get about 100 different tracklists. Who's tracklist is right? Who is to say which songs belong there and which don't when everybody has their own favorites? Besides, even one person's likes and dislikes keep changing from time to time, depending on what mood he is and everything. That "a lot of something for everyone" attitude makes UYI such a great record as it is.

well if you release thirty songs some are about to be liked hihi

i think certain songs would be consistent as pics... civil war, ycbm, breakdown, november rain, coma, dtj, perfect crime...
RichardNixon
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2006, 10:15:13 AM »

The only song I'm not crazy about is "You Ain't the First." Love the rest of it.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2006, 10:15:44 AM »

bad apples is decent, if i hear it once every few months i'm ok.? Dust N Bones is a GREAT song though....to me its the "14 years " of UY1.? But I agree...UY1 is def the weakest GNR album.? Like that one dude said, if you put the greatest songs from both 1 and 2, you have an incredible CD - almost as good as appetite.? But I am glad they released 2 since we haven't had much after that hahaha.? I know exactly what you mean though, a lot of the UYI songs I liked A LOT when they first came out, but haven't really stood the test of time in terms of a re listen.? I find myself skipping a lot of them.

Which UYI sold more copies?? I think it was 2 right?

I shouldn't have used the word terrible.. I do like the hear the songs on occassion myself, I do find myself skipping though
RitzWalker8
Rocker

I love my Pancreas!!!

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2006, 10:17:48 AM »

UYI I is terrific.  I like it better than theUYI II to be honest.  Both are great.  Best albums ever!!!

Ritz Reeves III
MR W,AXL ROSE
Welsh, and luvin' it
Legend

live,breathe eat GNR.

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2006, 10:18:03 AM »

somethin i noticed is when you listen to a whole UYI album,its like a journey.
its sometimes fast,
its sometimes slow,
its sometimes high,
its sometimes low,
its sometimes easy,
its sometimes hard,
its sometimes near,
its sometimes far.
but in the end we all get to the same fukin place

soz just turned that into a nice tune in my head as i was typin......now wheres my guitar quick ?ok

The Dog
Legend

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2006, 10:19:59 AM »

Yea I hear ya Mike.  There are plenty of fillers on II as well as a few on I.  If UYI was just one album with the mentioned fillers left out I believe it would rank right up there with AFD. 

Release the filler album instead of The Spagetti Incident.  I think we could of done without that one. hihi
am i the only one around here who realllllyyyyy loves TSI

no, i totally dig it.  I actually found it in my brothers old CDs YEARS after its release - i always dismissed it as a waste of time b/c of the bad reviews/press it got - but since i really liked SIDHY i gave it a whirl.....some awesome tunes.  I love buick mckane, down on the farm, human being, the son of a bitch song.  its a really good guns rock album and made me want to hear the originals. 

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: