Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2024, 10:48:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228144 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  use your illusion 1
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: use your illusion 1  (Read 18564 times)
WhosGilby?
Rocker

Now we all know better!

« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2006, 08:28:55 PM »

Dust N Bones is Fucking sweet,actually all the songs of that album are

So bitersweet this tragedy Won't ask for absolution
This melody, inside of me Still searches for solution
Sparksry
VIP

Keep Calm and Welcome to the Jungle

« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2006, 08:38:54 PM »

There good but not as good as AFD

So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?
    - Stewie Griffin-
Niko
Rocker

« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2006, 08:56:39 PM »

this is discussion goes nowhere
because

AFD was like just one genre
but the Illussions have very different songs..so it depends on the taste of everyone who hear the albums
for some people the underrated onees are better than the mtv classics....for some not
so i think because this are albums with very different pieces i think it depends on the taste of everyone who listen to it

i hope my poor english doesnt stop you from understanding what i ve tried to say..
thanks =)
DCGNR2006
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2006, 09:57:37 PM »

Depending on my mood that day or week, I am just as likely to throw UYI on as UYII. Both have a couple of songs that I was never crazy about.
Coma is one of my favorites of any band, or song ever. I can listen to N.Rain or Estranged now, and unless I"m in the right frame of mind, I can lose
interest sometimes. Coma & Locomotive still hit me strong. I think both Illusions were perfect for that time and will always be 2 of my favorite albums, if not my favorites , untill the day I die......and I have a funny feeling Democracy is going to hit me the same way -
kaddisonmoore
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2006, 10:11:16 PM »

also did u hear about the line up at record stores when it first came out

This is absolutely true.? I was there at Specs in Fort Lauderdale, FL. and it was CRAZY!? There had to be 300+ people in like by 10 PM that night.? (Store opened at Midnight to sell the CDs)

-darknemus

think that is crazy...wait till CD
i know it wont be the same at all but i was only like 10 months old when illusions came out soo...

the hardest part this troubled heart has ever yet been through now...
http://www.invisionplus.net/forums/index.php?mforum=icecream&act=idx
Greatest Fucking Forum Ever Made By Myself and a friend
Niko
Rocker

« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2006, 10:23:18 PM »

Depending on my mood that day or week, I am just as likely to throw UYI on as UYII. Both have a couple of songs that I was never crazy about.
Coma is one of my favorites of any band, or song ever. I can listen to N.Rain or Estranged now, and unless I"m in the right frame of mind, I can lose
interest sometimes. Coma & Locomotive still hit me strong. I think both Illusions were perfect for that time and will always be 2 of my favorite albums, if not my favorites , untill the day I die......and I have a funny feeling Democracy is going to hit me the same way -

locomotive have amazing lyrics!!!!!!!
NorthwindNS
Headliner

I don't need your civil war.

« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2006, 10:57:07 PM »

[quote author=mikegiuliana link=topic=27777.msg516138#msg516138 date=1142865850

.............then the next level lower
don't cry
the garden

then the rest for me is just tons of filler really... So many songs sound alike lots of yelling or similar..
terrible like
bad obsession
you ain't the first
bad apples
garden of eden
dust n bones
back off bitch

I think if any album was slash's album it was this one, I don't mean his album as in idea, just the guitar playing on this album is amazing and saves many songs... Like The garden he fucking owns that song, Coma, november rain both him and axl rock, but the guitar is amazing.. For me on a lot of these songs the band itself instrumentaly were tighter or the saviors of many of the songs.. Cause without some of that work these are just blah songs

Either way I just feel this is the one gnr album loaded with filler, with hints of brilliance

Wow. Are you serious? I respect your opinion but come on!!!!!

NorthwindNS

An "It's so easy" to be social
"It's so easy" to be cool
Yeah it's easy to be hungry
When you ain't got shit to lose
NorthwindNS
Headliner

I don't need your civil war.

« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2006, 10:58:29 PM »

both illusion albums are mostly rubbish and overblown.

cant stand listening to them.

YOU ARE FUCKING CRAZY!!!! FUCKING CRAZY!!!! oh my!!!! YA KNOW YOUR CRAZY!!!!

An "It's so easy" to be social
"It's so easy" to be cool
Yeah it's easy to be hungry
When you ain't got shit to lose
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2006, 01:31:24 AM »

Get lost, you witless fool. rant

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2006, 01:39:39 AM »

I love Back Off Bitch... The lyrics are kick ass... "It's time to burn... Burn the witch!"  ok

Fuck 'Em All.
Ineverlearn000022
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2006, 01:54:08 AM »

Whoever started this thread is an idiot....Capitol I. 

The whole fucking CD is awesome from "Right next door to heel...to...Coma"  Enuf said.

Great music, and thats why we are here.

Wake up....Time to die!!!!!!!!!
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2006, 02:36:09 AM »

How can anyone claim that Dust n' Bones is a filler? It's one of the best Gn'R songs ever, especially live.

Here's my opinion about the tracks on UYI I:

Right Next Door To Hell: Works good as an opener of the album or a live show, but it has never been any kind of favourite of mine.
Dust N' Bones: Like I said this is one of my favourite Gn'R songs, and as a live song it's fucking great! Slash has great guitar melodies and the vocal work is just brilliant (Izzy, Duff and Axl together = amazing smoking)
Live And Let Die: Fits on the album, but is kinda lame after many times of listening. I like the 2002-version of it, Axl sounds great.
Don't Cry (Original): Well, what can I say.. Great song with great guitar solos. Brilliant.
Perfect Crime: I love it. The live version is even better, just listen to Helsinki or St. Louis bootlegs and you know what I'm talkin' about Wink It has such a great attitude..
You Ain't The First: First I didn't like it at all.. I just didn't understand it. But now when I have listened to it many times, I actually like it. It's like UTLH to me. A fun song with a nice melody.
Bad Obsession: The intro is great.. I love the sound of harmonica. And Axl's voice is working here. Great song!
Back Off Bitch: A great tune with a great attitude, once again I just love Axl's voice.
Double Talkin Jive: I found this song through the live version. And I still prefer the live version more, but this is amazing fucking song! Matt's drumming is simply great, especially on the longer version. It's kinda sad that they didn't record it, 'cause the part after the chorus is absolutely brilliant peace The band makes awesome job.
November Rain: Great.
The Garden: First I thought that this is the strangest song I have ever heard. Then I started to like Slash's solos and melodies, and now I like the whole song. I just hope that Axl would have done Alice's parts too (no, I'm not saying that Alice sucks, but I dont like his sound on this song).
Garden Of Eden: The video is great hihi A fun song, but it's one of the least favourite tracks of Gn'R to me. But it's still good yes
Don't Damn Me: Awesome guitar riffs. Slash is just great. I also like Axl's vocal work..
Bad Apples: I like it. It's kinda 'light' song, but still one of my favourites. But I think that it could be better with a little more work..
Dead Horse: Same thing as Bad Apples.
Coma: Oh yeah.. what an ending for an album like this. Duff's riffs are awesome, Slash's solos are amazing, Axl sounds great and Matt's drumming is wonderful. One of the best songs ever. Last verse is simply brilliant..

Great album. That's all I can say. But I don't think that Gn'R has ever recorded a bad song.. there is only good songs, very good songs and great songs yes

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2006, 04:17:45 AM »

then the rest for me is just tons of filler really... So many songs sound alike lots of yelling or similar..
terrible like
bad obsession
you ain't the first
bad apples
garden of eden
dust n bones
back off bitch

Bad Apples i do like but prob. my least fav. of all!!

i just havta say....
You Aint The First   is fuckin' unreal, i love singin' this when im pissed (drunk), its a ballad n' a ahalf!!!
Garden Of Eden   is AFD ALL OVER, n' thats not why i like it, it just fuckin' rocks, big time!! i love it!!

the rest rock!!! beer beer beer smoking smoking

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
boston
Rocker

diytvrocks.com

« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2006, 05:50:59 AM »

it has some good tunes, and I know no one on this board likes "spaghetti incident", but I love that record,
 which leaves "ilusions 1" as the worst CD they ever released, completly agree
You think UYI I is worse than Lies? confused
off course, LIES is half "live like a suicide", and the accoustic side is just as good, no one here understands the decline of GNR began before the APPETITE tour was even over, it was done, over , nothing better will ever come after 1988

that will never change

everything now is just bonus tracks

that is, if it even happens

D.I.Y. TV SITE LINK

http://www.diytvrocks.com
Janabis
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2006, 06:39:10 AM »

I have to say that Dust N' Bones is probably my least favourite track off UYI. I just can't get excited about listening to Izzy sing. He can write great songs for sure, but his vocals are just plain boring compared to a guy like Axl. I never liked DTJ for the same reason. I'd say my favourite tracks on UYI I are The Garden, Garden of Eden, Don't Cry, and November Rain. They definitely made the right choices for the singles. Most of 'Coma' is brilliant, but the cheesy sound effects and background vocals drag it way down.
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2006, 07:28:36 AM »

How can anyone claim that Dust n' Bones is a filler? It's one of the best Gn'R songs ever, especially live.

Here's my opinion about the tracks on UYI I:

Right Next Door To Hell: Works good as an opener of the album or a live show, but it has never been any kind of favourite of mine.
Dust N' Bones: Like I said this is one of my favourite Gn'R songs, and as a live song it's fucking great! Slash has great guitar melodies and the vocal work is just brilliant (Izzy, Duff and Axl together = amazing smoking)
Live And Let Die: Fits on the album, but is kinda lame after many times of listening. I like the 2002-version of it, Axl sounds great.
Don't Cry (Original): Well, what can I say.. Great song with great guitar solos. Brilliant.
Perfect Crime: I love it. The live version is even better, just listen to Helsinki or St. Louis bootlegs and you know what I'm talkin' about Wink It has such a great attitude..
You Ain't The First: First I didn't like it at all.. I just didn't understand it. But now when I have listened to it many times, I actually like it. It's like UTLH to me. A fun song with a nice melody.
Bad Obsession: The intro is great.. I love the sound of harmonica. And Axl's voice is working here. Great song!
Back Off Bitch: A great tune with a great attitude, once again I just love Axl's voice.
Double Talkin Jive: I found this song through the live version. And I still prefer the live version more, but this is amazing fucking song! Matt's drumming is simply great, especially on the longer version. It's kinda sad that they didn't record it, 'cause the part after the chorus is absolutely brilliant peace The band makes awesome job.
November Rain: Great.
The Garden: First I thought that this is the strangest song I have ever heard. Then I started to like Slash's solos and melodies, and now I like the whole song. I just hope that Axl would have done Alice's parts too (no, I'm not saying that Alice sucks, but I dont like his sound on this song).
Garden Of Eden: The video is great hihi A fun song, but it's one of the least favourite tracks of Gn'R to me. But it's still good yes
Don't Damn Me: Awesome guitar riffs. Slash is just great. I also like Axl's vocal work..
Bad Apples: I like it. It's kinda 'light' song, but still one of my favourites. But I think that it could be better with a little more work..
Dead Horse: Same thing as Bad Apples.
Coma: Oh yeah.. what an ending for an album like this. Duff's riffs are awesome, Slash's solos are amazing, Axl sounds great and Matt's drumming is wonderful. One of the best songs ever. Last verse is simply brilliant..

Great album. That's all I can say. But I don't think that Gn'R has ever recorded a bad song.. there is only good songs, very good songs and great songs yes

I Agree with this ok

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2006, 07:40:19 AM »

No. No they're really not. I think they ar better then appetite in their own regards. The epics are unbelievable. I don't really see any "filler". The Black Sabbath song fluff is filler, nothing on illusions.

Mike, UYI I is my favorite! Dust N' Bones, Bad apples c'mon man!

Listen on any given day I can enjoy any gnr songs, but once you have been listening to these albums for about 14-15 years and are able to listen to different songs at different stages you see what stays with you or creates the same buzz as when you first bought it.. No one can say the way they felt as a teen listening to a certain album new is going to be the same 15 years later...

I said I think coma, right next dooor to hell, NR, perfect crime, dtjm & ddm are all classics...  ten years ago I might have had a different list with the exception of maybe coma n november rain..

I'm really suprised no one even thought about saying how slash owned these songs guitar wise...  As I mentioned in my first post he fucking ripps through the garden

To myself many of the songs are similar in the pace axl sings or the volume in his voice, the only real way for me to see the difference is by the musicians in the band,.... Are there any songs by groups you love simply better because of the guitar work, or a song that the p[layers themselves exceed the singer?? That would be like my Highlight in Freebird is the guitars, not the singing.. The singing rules, but without that guitar work it's not as special... Same goes with Stairway to heaven..
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2006, 07:44:10 AM »

TSI succeeds greatly for what it is.

Illusion albums fail miserably for what they try to be, which lets face it, UYI tries to be the greatest album since the white album, which results in a shockingly embarrassing bloated monstrous album. A great failure. People keep saying "it would be one of the best albums if it was one album" too bad, its not one album.

anyone who cant see this epitomises the word bellend.

The Illusions are way better than the White Album. The White Album has just as much filler (Revolution no.9 = My World) but UYI has more classics, and lets face it all albums should be judged by the its best songs, not its worst. I think that's people's problem with the UYI albums is that they concentrate too much on the weaker songs. But judge them by the best songs, instead and you'll have a different attitude. No band made so many classic tracks in one recording session. I hate people saying its embarassing and bloated. When Led Zeppelin, Queen or The Beatles do 8-minute songs they're are considered complex classics. When GnR do it, they're considered too long, embarassing and bloated. What are you suggesting - they don't release November Rain because its a bit too long for some people? Who cares about the length - its what's in the songs that counts, and the 6 seven- minute plus songs on UYI are simply amazing and unparalleled. There is very few people who like all the songs. There are always a couple songs different people don't like but you could say the same about other double albums like Physical Graffiti and the White Album. But UYI has more classics. Even AFD has a couple of songs I don't always listen to. Personally I prefer ?Dust N' Bones, Bad Obsession, Double Talkin' Jive, Don't Damn Me, ?etc. to My Michelle, Think About You, You're Crazy or Anything Goes.

Seen as we are talking about UYI1 - compare AFD to the 12 best songs of UYI1 (RTDTH, DNB, Don't Cry, Bad Obsession, Back Off Bitch, DTJ, November Rain, The Garden, Garden Of Eden, Don't Damn Me, Dead Horse and Coma). IMHO, as a collection of great songs, they're quite close. Although, admittedly AFD, flows much better. I rarely skip over songs on AFD because they flow into each other so well. But compare the songs individually and it's quite close.

Soloing wise the two UYI albums contain the best collection of solos ever. They're all so different, particulary on UYI II, so I prefer the solos on that album. But UYI 1 has some amazing solos too, as well as some great riffs - Coma has the heaviest riff ever!

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2006, 07:55:17 AM »

Soloing wise the two UYI albums contain the best collection of solos ever. They're all so different, particulary on UYI II, so I prefer the solos on that album. But UYI 1 has some amazing solos too, as well as some great riffs - Coma has the heaviest riff ever!

Slash fucking owns these albums... I still love when someone feels gnr was axl alone.. hihi  The coma riff fucking rocks the house down... The garden too, how he ripps it up all through estranged.. 
coolman78SLASH
VIP

You gotta have balls man-Tony Montana-Scarface

« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2006, 09:11:05 AM »

Slash fucking owns these albums... I still love when someone feels gnr was axl alone.. hihi? The coma riff fucking rocks the house down... The garden too, how he ripps it up all through estranged..?

Yeah, a lot of great riffs and shredding + melodic solos on both albums!

GnR June 10th 1993
Slash’s Snakepit June 24th 1995
Velvet Revolver August 13th 2004
GnR June 28th 2006
Slash & friends  June 30th 2009
GnR June 15th 2022
GnR June 23. 2023
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: