Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 01:30:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  use your illusion 1
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: use your illusion 1  (Read 18643 times)
grendood
My favorite word is: Bellend
Banned
Rocker

caught on film.

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2006, 11:32:53 AM »

TSI succeeds greatly for what it is.

Illusion albums fail miserably for what they try to be, which lets face it, UYI tries to be the greatest album since the white album, which results in a shockingly embarrassing bloated monstrous album. A great failure. People keep saying "it would be one of the best albums if it was one album" too bad, its not one album.

anyone who cant see this epitomises the word bellend.
right so TSI has the success that UYI should of had but on a smaller scale

No, Im not talking about commercial success or critical success whatsoever.

There's nothing pretencious about TSI.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2006, 12:31:59 PM »

I think UYI I is their best album  Tongue

I skip over You Ain't The First, but that's it.  Bad Obsession, Dust N Bones, Garden of Eden and Bad Apples are all quality songs, all better songs than Out Ta Get Me, Think About You, and Anything Goes if we're comparing them to AFD.  Back Off Bitch is dumb but it rocks hard.  It also lacks the out and out stinkers like Get In The Ring, So Fine and My World on UYI II
Bad_Apple
Rocker

Oh my distorted smile

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2006, 12:46:17 PM »

don't cry is one of the best songs ever, imo...bad obsession and back off bitch kick ass too,

bad obsession always annoyed the shit out of me, way to much going on.. just don't like the tune

I just hear a lot of angst in many of these songs and it becomes repetative to me.. Like 5 songs are the same in ways

"B.O." also bugs me nowadays, and I don't like listening to "Live & let die"...I've always loved UYI II much more (other than "get in the ring" and "my world" I love all the other tracks).  I've always felt UYI I was a bit more aggressive and a bit of a mixed bag. 

I think they put out 2 albums at one time bc it was never done b4 (released separatly) and they got away w/ it (in terms of sales at the time....I mean ppl were DESPARATE for a GNR album..why do you think Skid Row reached #1 the summer b4 the Illusions were released--bc ppl were hungry for that GNR vibe).

"in a world he did not create, he will go through it as if it were his own making; half man, half beast, I don't know what it is, but its weird and its pissed off and it calls itself Slash"
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2006, 12:54:23 PM »

Mike,

I tend to agree. There's some BRILLIANT material on UYI I [NR, Coma, Dont' Cry, Dust N' Bones, Live and Let Die, Touble Talkin' Jive (best live though)]... but a lot of it is "fly over country". UYI II is definitely stronger IMHO.

Incidentally, I listened to TSI for the first time in years a few days ago... and that album ROCKS. I know it's all covers... but I think the band really got back to its AFD/Lies sound on that album... unfortunately it got buried in the grunge revolution and people were sick of GN'R doing cover songs (I can't believe they followed TSI with ANOTHER cover with SFTD)... but that's a very decent album. Definitely NOT GN'R's "St. Anger", as I used to think it was...

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2006, 12:55:29 PM »

i disagree. Its on of my fav albums.

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
boston
Rocker

diytvrocks.com

« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2006, 01:01:21 PM »

it has some good tunes, and I know no one on this board likes "spaghetti incident", but I love that record,
 which leaves "ilusions 1" as the worst CD they ever released, completly agree

D.I.Y. TV SITE LINK

http://www.diytvrocks.com
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2006, 01:42:15 PM »

it has some good tunes, and I know no one on this board likes "spaghetti incident", but I love that record,

You think UYI I is worse than Lies?  confused
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2006, 02:32:08 PM »

Bah... I think it's great from front to back. I look at the Illusions as two big story books of fame and the trappings that befall the aforementioned stars.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
A Private Eye
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2006, 02:33:57 PM »

You think UYI I is worse than Lies?? confused

I think Lies is pretty good tbh, unfair to compare with UYI 1 though because Lies is only an EP and I think a lot longer was spent on UYI, Lies was cobbled together in one recording session.

If Carlsberg made GNR and VR forums.............they'd probably have made www.gnrevolution.com
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2006, 02:35:34 PM »

I haven't listened to this album over and over for quite some time, probably many years to be honest.. So this time around I almost listened like a new fan or with different views (not as a gnr maniac).. I know people will get on me for this, but I feel this is the weakest album out of all their studio works...

The album has great tunes
coma
dtj
perfect crime
right next door to hell
don't damn me
november rain

then the next level lower
don't cry
the garden

then the rest for me is just tons of filler really... So many songs sound alike lots of yelling or similar..
terrible like
bad obsession
you ain't the first
bad apples
garden of eden
dust n bones
back off bitch

I think if any album was slash's album it was this one, I don't mean his album as in idea, just the guitar playing on this album is amazing and saves many songs... Like The garden he fucking owns that song, Coma, november rain both him and axl rock, but the guitar is amazing.. For me on a lot of these songs the band itself instrumentaly were tighter or the saviors of many of the songs.. Cause without some of that work these are just blah songs

Either way I just feel this is the one gnr album loaded with filler, with hints of brilliance
I haven't listened to these in ages either. Maybe I should. I started getting burnt out on that old stuff along time ago, and decided to give it a much needed rest. The only GNR I have listened to over the past 2 years or so is the new songs.

I agree with you. Quite a bit of filler, but better than it just being like a 10-12 song album. I dont consider The Garden to be filler. In my opinion, that is the most underrated song on the album.

Sparksry
VIP

Keep Calm and Welcome to the Jungle

« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2006, 04:12:37 PM »

that was the first one i bought so it has some sentimental value but ya i do agree some filler is in there like i mean how much do you hear people talk about dead horse.

So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?
    - Stewie Griffin-
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2006, 04:19:16 PM »

I like SI myself. I also love back off bitch, great buildup.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2006, 04:21:11 PM »

I feel this is the weakest album out of all their studio works...

I thought that was common knowledge...

I think VRs record is better, and Im certain Axls is too.
art vandalay
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2006, 06:04:39 PM »

i personally like UYI 1 more than UYI 2 and lies and at some point in my life i liked it more than AFD but not any more
Sparksry
VIP

« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2006, 06:05:58 PM »

well it  was such a good record because it was a double disc album and well that was unheard of then

So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?
    - Stewie Griffin-
W. Adam S
Rocker

...Gone to the toilet

« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2006, 06:09:26 PM »

somethin i noticed is when you listen to a whole UYI album,its like a journey.
its sometimes fast,
its sometimes slow,
its sometimes high,
its sometimes low,
its sometimes easy,
its sometimes hard,
its sometimes near,
its sometimes far.
but in the end we all get to the same fukin place

soz just turned that into a nice tune in my head as i was typin......now wheres my guitar quick ?ok

that was actually not bad dude, go get your guitar, and make a copyright as well !
im just putting a new set of ernie balls on my axe right now.ill upload it when its recorded? hihi

Im fitting some Ernie Balls tomorrow so if you need me to play rythm give us a shout? yes? beer

PS. You may need some more lyrics  Grin

'For Ricky to be any smarter he would have to die and come back as a turnip' - Trailer park boys.
FlashFlood
Rocker

« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2006, 06:11:02 PM »

uy1 kicks uy2 in the nads

poop
Sparksry
VIP

« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2006, 06:11:32 PM »

also did u hear about the line up at record stores when it first came out

- Stewie Griffin-
chinesedemocracy05
Banned
Rocker

SPRECHMAN!

« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2006, 08:13:14 PM »

both illusion albums are mostly rubbish and overblown.

cant stand listening to them.

No. No they're really not. I think they ar better then appetite in their own regards. The epics are unbelievable. I don't really see any "filler". The Black Sabbath song fluff is filler, nothing on illusions.

Mike, UYI I is my favorite! Dust N' Bones, Bad apples c'mon man!

They just thought Id know better. Better.
darknemus
I lost my threads and all I got was this lousy title
Legend

A true fan - no, not that 'truefan' (where is he?)

« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2006, 08:17:01 PM »

also did u hear about the line up at record stores when it first came out

This is absolutely true.  I was there at Specs in Fort Lauderdale, FL. and it was CRAZY!  There had to be 300+ people in like by 10 PM that night.  (Store opened at Midnight to sell the CDs)

-darknemus

It's not how you're thinking, or as you've imagined
To live in a shade of beliefs that were fashioned
to leave you in slavery and drain out your soul....
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: