Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2024, 06:47:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228145 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Who was/is the bigger band--GNR or ACDC?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who was/is the bigger band--GNR or ACDC?  (Read 35136 times)
awolgnr
Headliner

Don't you think that you need somebody?

« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2006, 02:17:50 AM »

Well each GNR album was different from its predecessor.  Axl is not content to do the same thing twice.  AC/DC has released the same f**kin album over and over.  They write songs filled with lyrics that are written for seventh graders in shop class.  Sorry if I'm offending but Jesus, they have not developed as a band whatsoever.  GNR are the better band in all aspects.

I've been where I have been and I've seen what I have seen...
gnrbacik
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2006, 02:36:36 AM »

Quit comparing apples to apples. Let's compare GnR to rap or hip hop. GnR rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Rock Rules!!!!
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2006, 02:50:29 AM »

Well each GNR album was different from its predecessor.  Axl is not content to do the same thing twice.  AC/DC has released the same f**kin album over and over.  They write songs filled with lyrics that are written for seventh graders in shop class.  Sorry if I'm offending but Jesus, they have not developed as a band whatsoever.  GNR are the better band in all aspects.

Well, why are they still one of the biggest band in the world? 'Cause their music is great. It doesn't matter if they release the same album over and over 'cause it really fucking rocks. So what does it matter anyway? It's rock n' roll, not brain surgery.. And I dont think that all of their albums even are the same Wink Compare 'High Voltage' and 'The Razors Edge' for example..

But for me, Gn'R is the biggest band of them all. Clearly.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2006, 03:28:23 AM »

Back In Black has sold more than Appetite For Destruction.

But, GNR was the bigger band in terms of popularity.

But even with the fact that AFD still sells 5000 per week?

And ppbee, I have no clue Tongue

Well, im just going by RIAA. Appetite For Destruction hasn't been acredited in awhile. I don't know the last time BIB was acredited.

Offically BIB has sold more.

So do you think then CD will sell more than BIB since it's been dubbed the most anticipated album of all time?

I think ACDC was bigger than GNR but I just don't know the actual #'s of albums sold by ACDC.

GNR is and always will be relevant but will CD sales be what they need to push themselves over BIB?

they aren't going to sell 16 million album with CD.... BIB is loaded with rock anthems that are played everyday on the radio and and at sporting events
Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2006, 03:38:28 AM »

To those who are comparing sales of AFD and BIB, remember this.  BIB had 19 years (1980-1999) of the pre-download era to sell.  AFD only had 12 years before the downloading era.  Hardly a fair comparison.

"You want to do something impressive? Get Kim Jong-Il  to sing "Give Peace A Chance." Yeah -- big televised duet with Yoko. That's when I'll be impressed."  - Gary Brecher, the "war nerd"
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2006, 03:41:28 AM »

To those who are comparing sales of AFD and BIB, remember this.? BIB had 19 years (1980-1999) of the pre-download era to sell.? AFD only had 12 years before the downloading era.? Hardly a fair comparison.

didn't kid rock's first album go platinum 12 times and that was about 1999-00

afd n bib numbers are from years back, 15 million has been the same since the early 90s
slashsaxl
VIP

I'll never find anyone to replace you....

« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2006, 05:03:23 AM »

Well each GNR album was different from its predecessor.? Axl is not content to do the same thing twice.? AC/DC has released the same f**kin album over and over.? They write songs filled with lyrics that are written for seventh graders in shop class.? Sorry if I'm offending but Jesus, they have not developed as a band whatsoever.? GNR are the better band in all aspects.

and thats how acdc fans like it...

as for appetite selling 15 million copies that was a number from literally 10 years ago, i read somewhere that appetite has probably sold 20-25 million copies worldwide...but who knows

rock n' roll

To Be A Rock And Not To Roll....
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2006, 05:24:21 AM »

and thats how acdc fans like it...

as for appetite selling 15 million copies that was a number from literally 10 years ago, i read somewhere that appetite has probably sold 20-25 million copies worldwide...but who knows

rock n' roll

i think appetite has sold almost 19-20 million copies in the US alone. the worldwide sales exceed 30 million....

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
Nighteyes
VIP

« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2006, 06:03:46 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guns_n_roses#Discography

I don't know if it's correct,but..
I can't find the sales for AC/DCs albums...

shit happens when you party naked
Mandy.
Bitch Queen
Legend

« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2006, 07:32:49 AM »

ACDC was pretty big, but I think Gn'R was bigger.
AxemanOnFire
Headliner

« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2006, 11:21:04 AM »

I think if by better you mean sold more albums AC/DC would be the winner. But GN'R accomplished more in a shorter period of time IMO GN'R were only around for seven years at the most now look at what AC/DC done in their first seven years and look at GN'R. I think that comparison is more fair.
Okay. AC/DC's first 7 years - 1973 - 1980. They released seven studio albums and one live album, including the classics If You Want Blood (You Got It), Highway To Hell and Back In Black. They lost one of, if not the greatest frontman in rock 'n' roll only to bounce back with the biggest selling record of their career and a defining moment in rock/metal history. They rose from the obscure Oz pub scene to international stardom.

They have (as of December 2nd 2000, source: http://www.crabsodyinblue.com/acdcuktourtimespreview.htm) over 100 million album sales and are then 10th highest selling band in America (sourse: RIAA).
Charity Case
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2006, 11:34:21 AM »

At the height of their touring success, do you know who GNR listened to most often prior to their gigs to get them ready to perform at a high level?  ACDC.  I remember reading that Axl said if they could put on a show like ACDC did every night, they'd be a success live.  That's not the exact words, but somehting to that affect.  ACDC, GNR, how could you go wrong with either one?  For the sake of this arguement, let's say they were too close to call who was bigger/better.
Sparksry
VIP

Keep Calm and Welcome to the Jungle

« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2006, 11:48:46 AM »

Well i dont think you can really absoloutly compare them due to ACDC having two different singers and they came out way before GNR .... Hole diff sort of music .. i onl compare them as some of the most distinguishible voices out there .  Grin

So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?
    - Stewie Griffin-
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2006, 11:55:35 AM »

When gnr were at the height no band was bigger save the beatles, that is how big gnr were. Yes AC DC sold more albums but Gnr were the bigger band, if gnr made more albums their album sales would be up there with AC DC but gnrs album sales is pretty good for only 3 albums of org material and one EP

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
WARose
Legend

« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2006, 11:58:14 AM »

When gnr were at the height no band was bigger save the beatles, that is how big gnr were. Yes AC DC sold more albums but Gnr were the bigger band, if gnr made more albums their album sales would be up there with AC DC but gnrs album sales is pretty good for only 3 albums of org material and one EP

i have to agree with this post ok

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2006, 01:18:24 PM »

put simply, ACDC sucks

"This isn't McDonald's or Burger King - it isn't 'Have it your way.'"
- Axl Rose, as cited by Del James
WARose
Legend

« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2006, 01:24:04 PM »

put simply, ACDC sucks

your opinion...

Sparksry
VIP

Keep Calm and Welcome to the Jungle

« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2006, 01:47:57 PM »

ive never heard anyone utter the words "ACDC SUCKS"

So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?
    - Stewie Griffin-
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2006, 02:02:55 PM »

did guns n roses ever play to over 1 million people?? I remember ac/dc played for the russians, but forget why??
WARose
Legend

« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2006, 02:08:48 PM »

did guns n roses ever play to over 1 million people?? I remember ac/dc played for the russians, but forget why??

the biggest gnr concert ever was rir3 in front of over two-hundred-thousand people.... how is it possible to play in front of 1 million people??

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: