Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2024, 05:57:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228145 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Who was/is the bigger band--GNR or ACDC?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who was/is the bigger band--GNR or ACDC?  (Read 35062 times)
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2006, 08:16:45 PM »

Back In Black has sold more than Appetite For Destruction.

But, GNR was the bigger band in terms of popularity.

But even with the fact that AFD still sells 5000 per week?

And ppbee, I have no clue Tongue

Well, im just going by RIAA. Appetite For Destruction hasn't been acredited in awhile. I don't know the last time BIB was acredited.

Offically BIB has sold more.

So do you think then CD will sell more than BIB since it's been dubbed the most anticipated album of all time?

I think ACDC was bigger than GNR but I just don't know the actual #'s of albums sold by ACDC.

GNR is and always will be relevant but will CD sales be what they need to push themselves over BIB?

CD will never outsell BIB. there will never be another rock album outselling BIB. not in these downloading days.

Edit: AC/DC is still pretty big in Europe (and always has been) too, so I won't write them off as America/Aussia wonders..
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 08:18:43 PM by Hillel Slovak » Logged

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Steel_Angel
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2006, 08:19:00 PM »

Well, im just going by RIAA. Appetite For Destruction hasn't been acredited in awhile. I don't know the last time BIB was acredited.

So do you think then CD will sell more than BIB since it's been dubbed the most anticipated album of all time?

I think ACDC was bigger than GNR but I just don't know the actual #'s of albums sold by ACDC.

GNR is and always will be relevant but will CD sales be what they need to push themselves over BIB?

CD will never outsell BIB. there will never be another rock album outselling BIB. not in these downloading days.
Are you psychic or....?
alexh0618
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2006, 08:19:42 PM »

Edit: AC/DC is still pretty big in Europe (and always has been) too, so I won't write them off as America/Aussia wonders..

I highly doubt CD will sell more than BIB. BIB is one of the most popular albums ever.
lul
Headliner

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2006, 08:19:55 PM »

GNR were only around for lil over 7 years.. acadacas been around for 20!

Time is wasted when you are wasted all the time
madagas
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2006, 08:20:35 PM »

http://www.riaa.com/gp/bestsellers/topartists.asp

ACDC has sold more records in the US.....but they have put out 3 times the amount of albums. However, the original GNR is a much better band, to me, simply because of their diversity and emotional depth. ACDC is simply rocking out with your cock out! Which, for some, is the only requirement. hihi
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2006, 08:22:21 PM »

I would say AC/DC. They put out more material, been around much longer, and don't have a history of cancelling shows. They were much more consistent in releasing material, and to some/most, that is all that matters.

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2006, 08:30:37 PM »

Are you psychic or....?

Im or....

MikeFrett
Headliner

Don't damn me

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2006, 08:32:38 PM »

I'll just say that I love AC/DC. But I like GN'R About the same if not better. Hard choice for me.
Vicious Wishes
VIP

Madam in Eden im Adam

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2006, 08:40:16 PM »

Good question. Both bands had some great music. It's too hard for me to choose.
Appetite for Destruction and Back in Black are in my top 3 albums of all time, for sure.

We're not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience, we're spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience.
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2006, 08:44:32 PM »

Are you psychic or....?

Im or....
.............. rofl

Wink

I'd say GNR were bigger than AC/DC has ever been around 88-92, but AC/DC has been pretty big over a much longer period of time.
I like GNR much better than AC/DC, even though I love them too.

j_snakepit
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2006, 09:03:29 PM »

i heard appetite sells about 9000 copies a week, i assume that means world wide
chineseilusions
Sweet home Alabama
VIP

Now that's a llama

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2006, 09:53:57 PM »

I think if by better you mean sold more albums AC/DC would be the winner. But GN'R accomplished more in a shorter period of time IMO GN'R were only around for seven years at the most now look at what AC/DC done in their first seven years and look at GN'R. I think that comparison is more fair.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2006, 09:58:41 PM »

Back In Black is the #5 album OF ALL TIME!  Sales wise, of course.  Appetite is #20.  BIB has sold 21 million units to AFD's 15 mil.  The last time they were updated was Jan 7, 2005.  I'm sure AFD has topped 16 million by now.
asstvp1009
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2006, 10:17:59 PM »

Bigger band.........AC/DC. Roll Eyes

Best band(original w/o Alder, because he is a complete fuckin' bafoon).........GnR Grin
j_snakepit
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2006, 10:21:57 PM »

9000 a week for appetite must be world wide because someone already posted that afd sells about 5000 copies a week in the U.S
dolphin
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2006, 10:26:04 PM »

9000 a week for appetite must be world wide because someone already posted that afd sells about 5000 copies a week in the U.S

I helped contribute to that 5000 for US......on my 3rd copy of AFD hihi
j_snakepit
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2006, 10:32:55 PM »

i had also heard that AFD had sold over 20 million copies but some people say its 15 mill....this site says something like 25 million coppies of AFD have been sold http://www.answers.com/topic/appetite-for-destruction
HungerForChaos
Rocker

Not Here Yesterday...

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2006, 10:57:47 PM »

Are you psychic or....?

Im or....
.............. rofl

Wink

I'd say GNR were bigger than AC/DC has ever been around 88-92, but AC/DC has been pretty big over a much longer period of time.
I like GNR much better than AC/DC, even though I love them too.

Yeah, AC/DC is known by kids today, but GnR most kids haven't even heard of...
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2006, 11:33:19 PM »

*****hopes that madgas, jameslofton29 and pilferk and Jarmo contribute to this thread as they can provide specifics****** ok

Look I am the authority.  Leave mike and james out of this.  Just kidding.  AC/DC and GNR are two of my all time favorites.  AC/DC sold more albums, have more hits, but GNR at their height was bigger then AC/DC at their height.  AC/DC has had a very long career, AC/DC very short.  Back in Black has sold more albums then Appetite, came out 7 years earlier.
warrocks
VIP

Dance Of Fate....we're not afraid...

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2006, 12:53:26 AM »

no matter which band have sold more album or whatever...... but i think Ac/dc is more respected in the heavy metal,metal comunity and rock in general than Gnr. maybe i'm wrong but that's the way I see it.

..... Till Death Do us Apart.....GNR forever!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: