Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 10:00:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Who was/is the bigger band--GNR or ACDC?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who was/is the bigger band--GNR or ACDC?  (Read 35027 times)
shaun
« Reply #160 on: March 20, 2006, 04:50:37 PM »

I think AC/DC are bigger on the grounds that Guns n'Roses broke up over 10 years ago. Guns n'Roses don't exist anymore. There is an Axl & Co. band, but it's not Guns n'Roses  hihi

The only member left of Guns n'Roses is a single rose, the other roses and guns have long departed.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 04:53:25 PM by D0badog » Logged
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #161 on: March 20, 2006, 04:56:12 PM »

Dave you do realize that AC/DC has been playing to those kind of numbers since the late 70's correct? ?To this day they can still sell out a festival and any arena they play in......just give it up man, no one is denying that Guns had a successful jolt in the early 90s, but AC/DC was doing it WAY before and LONG after. ?It's time to ween yourself from Axl's noodle and give credit to the OTHER SUCCESSFUL BANDS THAT EXIST IN THE WORLD, not only GNR. ?We all love GNR, but c'mon, give it a break.

Like I said, no one was bigger than gnr in the early 90s. Do you remember the craz for the UYI release? That NEVER? happened for AC DC or Zeppelin. I am not saying gnr is bigger than either of those bands right now but from 90-93 neither of those bands were that popular at their height than gnr was at their height. The only band that was that popular at their height was the? beatles.

When I say no was bigger than gnr from 90-93 I am talking about at any time period for a 3 year span. You pick any three year span for LZ or AC DC and they dont come close to how huge gnr were for those three years.

you obviously have no idea what you are talking about.  Out of the 10 Studio albums Zepplein recorded, half are on the top 20 alltime best seller list.  The only artist to sell more music than them were Elvis and the Beattles.  And they got absolutely no LOVE FROM THE CRITICS.

And during Zeppelin's first five years or so, there was more of a craze for Zeppelin thna for GnR during there heyday
Sparksry
VIP

Keep Calm and Welcome to the Jungle

« Reply #162 on: March 20, 2006, 04:58:35 PM »

Comme on theyr'e still a chance they reunite ... NOT

So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?
    - Stewie Griffin-
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #163 on: March 20, 2006, 05:09:03 PM »

For the people who dont think gnr were bigger than AC DC or LZ for that matter at one point, all you need to do is look at these numbers.

he band played a total of 192 dates in 27 countries during the
Use Your Illusion World Tour (110 in the USA and 82 more all over the
world). Over seven million people had seen the band perform during the tour.

Jan of 1991 Gnr headline both night of RIR playing in front over over 260,000 people.
May 26th, 1992 - Show at the Berlin Olympic Stadium in front of 40,000 fans
May 27th, 1992 - Biggest show of the tour so far, 75.000 people at the Cannstatter Wasen in Stuttgart, Germany.
June 3rd, 1992 - ?Hannover, Germany to play at the Niedersachsen Stadium in front of a crowd of 60,000.
June 6th, 1992 - Pay Per View show in Paris, France in front of 58,000 people
June 13th, 1992 - Wembley Stadium in front of 72,000 people
June 16th, 1992 - 25,000 people see GN'R at the Gateshead International Stadium in Newcastle, England
June 20th, 1992 - Show in Wurzburg, Germany in front of 45,000
June 21st, 1992 - Basel, Switzerland 50,000 people
June 27th, 1992 - Turin, Italy ?65,000 fans
ay 22nd, 1993 -Hayarkon Park in Tel Aviv, Israel. Over 40 000 fans had gathered to see GN'R at the biggest concert held in Israel.
June 10th, 1993 29,000 at the Valle Hovin stadium in Oslo, Norway.
June 12th, 1993 - Show in front of 31 000 at the Olympic Stadium in Stockholm, Sweden
June 22nd, 1993 - 50,000 ?at Wildparkstadion in Karlsruhe, Germany
July 8th, 1993 - Nancy, France ?20,000
July 16th, 1993 - ?70,000 at the River Plate Stadium

That is just some shows for that tour. LZ or AC DC were NEVER that big

Sorry to contradict you, from the time Zeppelin formed in late 9/68 until they took there first year plus break in touring in 1974, Zeppelin played 393 stops (over 400 shows) 9/68-12/73 across the world, and recorded and released 5 albums
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 05:21:59 PM by classicgunsfan » Logged
HungerForChaos
Rocker

Not Here Yesterday...

« Reply #164 on: March 20, 2006, 05:24:23 PM »

I think AC/DC are bigger on the grounds that Guns n'Roses broke up over 10 years ago. Guns n'Roses don't exist anymore. There is an Axl & Co. band, but it's not Guns n'Roses  hihi

The only member left of Guns n'Roses is a single rose, the other roses and guns have long departed.

So GnR wasn't GnR, when AFD came out? It was just Axl & Co? rofl
HungerForChaos
Rocker

Not Here Yesterday...

« Reply #165 on: March 20, 2006, 05:29:08 PM »

Dave you do realize that AC/DC has been playing to those kind of numbers since the late 70's correct?  To this day they can still sell out a festival and any arena they play in......just give it up man, no one is denying that Guns had a successful jolt in the early 90s, but AC/DC was doing it WAY before and LONG after.  It's time to ween yourself from Axl's noodle and give credit to the OTHER SUCCESSFUL BANDS THAT EXIST IN THE WORLD, not only GNR.  We all love GNR, but c'mon, give it a break.

Like I said, no one was bigger than gnr in the early 90s. Do you remember the craz for the UYI release? That NEVER  happened for AC DC or Zeppelin. I am not saying gnr is bigger than either of those bands right now but from 90-93 neither of those bands were that popular at their height than gnr was at their height. The only band that was that popular at their height was the  beatles.

When I say no was bigger than gnr from 90-93 I am talking about at any time period for a 3 year span. You pick any three year span for LZ or AC DC and they dont come close to how huge gnr were for those three years.

you obviously have no idea what you are talking about.  Out of the 10 Studio albums Zepplein recorded, half are on the top 20 alltime best seller list.  The only artist to sell more music than them were Elvis and the Beattles.  And they got absolutely no LOVE FROM THE CRITICS.

And during Zeppelin's first five years or so, there was more of a craze for Zeppelin thna for GnR during there heyday

Well there is alot more piracy now days. Plus Elvis and The Beattles were the first of their kind and before that it was just boring music. There are TONS of bands now days with the same kinda music which saturates the rock market.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #166 on: March 20, 2006, 06:57:12 PM »

Led Zepplin was like Walter Payton...they were the greatest

ACDC was like Emmit Smith...endurance and sticking around for a long time giving the same everyday numbers, just like ACDC gives the same type of hard rock in your face music on every album(nothing wrong with that...they never let you down...just like emmit smith)

GNR was like Barry Sanders....in their prime they couldn't be touched....but the left early and no one really knew how great they would be.....Barry Sanders had the ability to be the greatest ever....GNR had the ability to be the greatest ever....but no one knows for sure if it would of happened b/c they retired/fell off the face of the earth fast

i LOVE sports analogies. and this one is awesome!

nice job!  ok

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Bono
« Reply #167 on: March 20, 2006, 07:56:18 PM »

One thing Gn'R dos have though over every other band ever is the oevrwhelming "What if" question like many of you have mentioned. If nothing else they could very well go down in history as the most fucked up rock n' roll story of all time. Sadly though the underlineing theme of their story might be "Biggest waste of talent in the history of rock" Cry
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #168 on: March 20, 2006, 07:57:55 PM »

I think AC/DC are bigger on the grounds that Guns n'Roses broke up over 10 years ago. Guns n'Roses don't exist anymore. There is an Axl & Co. band, but it's not Guns n'Roses? hihi

that was the only time they were really gnr with new material
HungerForChaos
Rocker

Not Here Yesterday...

« Reply #169 on: March 20, 2006, 08:33:36 PM »

Imposible!!! Shocked Shocked They didn't have their original members in AFD, they weren't GnR, they were Axl & Co.  hihi
Sparksry
VIP

Keep Calm and Welcome to the Jungle

« Reply #170 on: March 20, 2006, 08:36:14 PM »

Axl &co is a stupid name axl deserves the name Guns n Roses they signed the ultimatum. Anyway he has the rights. I c why u say axl and co but w/e

So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?
    - Stewie Griffin-
KeVoRkIaN
VIP

Resident Doctor

« Reply #171 on: March 20, 2006, 09:08:41 PM »

Wesley Willis

NEW MEMBERS: CLICK ON THIS PAGE! http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Starts Now is An Understatement!!!!!!
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #172 on: March 20, 2006, 09:25:03 PM »

Snakepit opened for AC-DC, some years ago... Slash rules!
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #173 on: March 20, 2006, 10:06:58 PM »

Give it to AC/DC based on longevity.

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
RichardNixon
« Reply #174 on: March 21, 2006, 12:03:20 AM »

I don?t know who the bigger band is, but GN?R is certainly the better of the two. Every AC/DC album sounds the same and they are totally one-dimensional. They lack the vision, the depth, the creativity of GN?R and Axl Rose. 
Axlative
Rocker

All Better now!

« Reply #175 on: March 21, 2006, 03:16:19 AM »

I don?t know who the bigger band is, but GN?R is certainly the better of the two. Every AC/DC album sounds the same and they are totally one-dimensional. They lack the vision, the depth, the creativity of GN?R and Axl Rose. 

That's BS. They don't "lack" anything. It's their style. And it is at least as, if not more, challenging to come up with new songs with their minimalist style.

With that being said, of course I prefer GNR, but it's apples vs. oranges anyway.
Axlative
Rocker

All Better now!

« Reply #176 on: March 21, 2006, 03:19:49 AM »

Imposible!!! Shocked Shocked They didn't have their original members in AFD, they weren't GnR, they were Axl & Co.  hihi

That's the argument I often use against anti-Axl comments  Grin

Besides, I don't think Duff was part of the name in the first place. It was just Axl & Tracii.
RichardNixon
« Reply #177 on: March 21, 2006, 03:28:08 AM »

I don?t know who the bigger band is, but GN?R is certainly the better of the two. Every AC/DC album sounds the same and they are totally one-dimensional. They lack the vision, the depth, the creativity of GN?R and Axl Rose.?

That's BS. They don't "lack" anything. It's their style. And it is at least as, if not more, challenging to come up with new songs with their minimalist style.

With that being said, of course I prefer GNR, but it's apples vs. oranges anyway.

minimalist style?  hihi

If that's how you want to put it...
Axlative
Rocker

All Better now!

« Reply #178 on: March 21, 2006, 03:52:24 AM »

minimalist style?  hihi

If that's how you want to put it...

IMO sticking to guitars, drums & bass as instruments is pretty minimalistic. Not to mention their unwillingness to deviate from their sound although the instrument set-up would allow for much more variation.
Big Gun
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #179 on: March 21, 2006, 04:20:59 AM »

HI THERE FOLKS, IM A GNR FUN BUT I THINK AC/DC ARE BIGGER. THEIR ALBUM BACK IN BLACK SOLD OVER 40+ MILLION COPIES WORLD WIDE. beer

Please don?t put your life in the hands
Of a rock and roll band
And throw it all away
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: