Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 02:21:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228552 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Quality of the Supporting Acts (Avenged Sevenfold / Bullet For My Valentine)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quality of the Supporting Acts (Avenged Sevenfold / Bullet For My Valentine)  (Read 17981 times)
Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2006, 11:52:56 PM »

If this was 1999-2000 I would be certain that buckcherry would be opening for GnR.

"You want to do something impressive? Get Kim Jong-Il  to sing "Give Peace A Chance." Yeah -- big televised duet with Yoko. That's when I'll be impressed."  - Gary Brecher, the "war nerd"
AUSTRALIAN_TSUNAMI
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2006, 11:59:53 PM »

Axl isn't going to pick a band like Beautiful Creatures.? I think he wants to go with bands that are young and up and coming.

Its just like when people were complaining when the Crue cancelled opening for Guns.? Well thats a good thing, sorry, but Axl doesn't want to be associated with that scene anymore.? The guy has tried too hard to accomplish that to start playing with bands like the crue.? I respect the crue's music, but you know what I mean, Axl just wants to carve out something new here.

Good point - its age discrimination b/c I think BCs sound is pretty good.? As others have said, the other BC (buckcherry) would be a cool choice too (plus josh todd hates VR haha).

The article i read mentioned M. Shadows (god i feel like such a poon for even typing that, i mean, do they want to be taken seriously???) had voice problems so he decided to sing instead of scream, plus they wanted to expand their audience as the metalcore scene had been tapped out by them.?

I agree with that other guy too, they're look is totally unoriginal...i'll say it again, they are just trying WAY too hard.

i like the look, that guitar player who's the nikki sixx look alike looks cool as hell!, the lyrics and singing still needs some work i think!.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2006, 01:03:20 AM »

Axl isn't going to pick a band like Beautiful Creatures.  I think he wants to go with bands that are young and up and coming.

Its just like when people were complaining when the Crue cancelled opening for Guns.  Well thats a good thing, sorry, but Axl doesn't want to be associated with that scene anymore.  The guy has tried too hard to accomplish that to start playing with bands like the crue.  I respect the crue's music, but you know what I mean, Axl just wants to carve out something new here.

Good point - its age discrimination b/c I think BCs sound is pretty good.  As others have said, the other BC (buckcherry) would be a cool choice too (plus josh todd hates VR haha).

The article i read mentioned M. Shadows (god i feel like such a poon for even typing that, i mean, do they want to be taken seriously???) had voice problems so he decided to sing instead of scream, plus they wanted to expand their audience as the metalcore scene had been tapped out by them. 

I agree with that other guy too, they're look is totally unoriginal...i'll say it again, they are just trying WAY too hard.

i like the look, that guitar player who's the nikki sixx look alike looks cool as hell!, the lyrics and singing still needs some work i think!.

They look more Good Charlotte to me Wink haha

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
BLS-Pride
Jack Daniel's drinkin'
Banned
Legend

Roses of Velvet Mother Fuckers.

« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2006, 01:05:16 AM »

The talent is there for these guys.. They have a hell of a guitarist and a hell of a drummer. They are not as bad as you people make them out to be..

www.rosesofvelvet.com
[BLS-Pride] 10:16 pm: ron - lemmy is god.. agreed?
[Bumblefoot] 10:16 pm: Lemmy created God.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2006, 01:10:51 AM »

The talent is there for these guys.. They have a hell of a guitarist and a hell of a drummer. They are not as bad as you people make them out to be..

I will def give you that, they seem to be much more talented then 90% of the bands out there in terms of actually playing their instruments.  I'm not saying they are dreadful, but I dont' see what all the fuss is about.  It seems every few weeks the rock mags and MTV or whoever are trying to label someone the next GNR or the next great rock band.  I don't see AX7 as filling those shoes.

What made guns so good and so successful is that they were real, 100% authentic - even their songs (afd at least) are about real life experiences.  I'm not quite sure what AX7 songs are about, I don't speak SCREAMING. Wink

BLS-Pride
Jack Daniel's drinkin'
Banned
Legend

Roses of Velvet Mother Fuckers.

« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2006, 01:13:45 AM »

Well from what I heard from their new CD its all singing. They lyrics aren't the worse thing out there either. They took the time to pen a song about Dimebag Darrell so that earns respect from me. I think you people are too concerned with a bands look or their stage names.. No matter what someone will label a band something.. that doesnt mean you need to agree and just join the rest of the people attackig a band. Hell, I am not even a real fan of these guys.. But I know talent when I see it and these kids have it..

www.rosesofvelvet.com
[BLS-Pride] 10:16 pm: ron - lemmy is god.. agreed?
[Bumblefoot] 10:16 pm: Lemmy created God.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2006, 01:45:25 AM »

Well from what I heard from their new CD its all singing. They lyrics aren't the worse thing out there either. They took the time to pen a song about Dimebag Darrell so that earns respect from me. I think you people are too concerned with a bands look or their stage names.. No matter what someone will label a band something.. that doesnt mean you need to agree and just join the rest of the people attackig a band. Hell, I am not even a real fan of these guys.. But I know talent when I see it and these kids have it..

Not in my case....to me the music ALWAYS come first - but how you represent it is how I think you're going to be perceived -  I mean look how Metallica took a beating just for cutting their hair!?!?!?!?  Like I've said before, if you are going to point to Priest, maiden, GNR as your idols/inspiration - then don't mock that time/genre in your videos (sum 41, the darkness) or with a costume like look or silly stage names (unless thats something thats part of the metalcore/screaming scene - I don't know too much about it to be honest).

But I am downloa...ur, i mean listening to a friends CD right now and I have to say, the songs are growing on me - its a bit fast paced for me, but it is pretty sweet to hear actual guitar playing and true metal growls/screams.  Once i finish listening to this cd maybe I'll have changed my tune and I'll feel like a bigger douche then usual   ok

Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2006, 01:53:37 AM »

If you want to get turned on to Avenged you HAVE to listen to the new CD.  So far in their career, it is without a doubt the album that defines them.

"You want to do something impressive? Get Kim Jong-Il  to sing "Give Peace A Chance." Yeah -- big televised duet with Yoko. That's when I'll be impressed."  - Gary Brecher, the "war nerd"
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2006, 02:00:15 AM »

If you want to get turned on to Avenged you HAVE to listen to the new CD.  So far in their career, it is without a doubt the album that defines them.

I am listening to it now and I have to admit its pretty kick ass.....most of my exposure to them was the screaming songs from their past albums.  Beast and Harlot is a really cool song.  I like how it sounds nothing like the shit rock out there now.  Still, I'm sorry, image kinda matters when you're trying to sell something - I can still enjoy the music, but it'd be cooler if they took themselves a LITTLE more seriously.  Still, I am going to feel like a monster dip shit if I wind up liking this band hahaha    hihi

I don't hear the Axl comparison at all though - sounds a lot like sevendust (vocally) to me.

jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2006, 02:14:21 AM »

I read about them over last summer in the NY post. THe only thing that peaked my intersest was the article mentioneed , they were GNR fans. So based on that I decided to give them a shot, mind you Im 36, its hard for me to like new shit.lol.

But , I dunno, they hit me hard, reminded me of the days when I was 17 and hearing GNR for the forst time. Granted I know now after listening to older stuff, its definitly on the emo lines. BUT City of Evil isnt that. And after all these yrs, for me , this is one band I actually like.

I made a prediction awhile ago that they would open for GNR, people called me names. WEll actually I was right.lol

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2006, 02:22:18 AM »

I read about them over last summer in the NY post. THe only thing that peaked my intersest was the article mentioneed , they were GNR fans. So based on that I decided to give them a shot, mind you Im 36, its hard for me to like new shit.lol.

But , I dunno, they hit me hard, reminded me of the days when I was 17 and hearing GNR for the forst time. Granted I know now after listening to older stuff, its definitly on the emo lines. BUT City of Evil isnt that. And after all these yrs, for me , this is one band I actually like.

I made a prediction awhile ago that they would open for GNR, people called me names. WEll actually I was right.lol

I'm 30 in a month, and we sound similar in terms of liking the new stuff out there.  But you can offically color me an asshole....I am DIGGING this cd.  Is it too late to delete all my negative posts hahaha.  I do stand by my comments about their STUPID stage names though Wink  But who cares, this is good music.  Listening to Seize the Day now...GREAT track. 

Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2006, 02:24:51 AM »

Seize the Day reminded me a lot of Don't Cry.  The way they have 2 vocals going to create a nice little melody.

The Dog
Legend

« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2006, 02:33:31 AM »

Seize the Day reminded me a lot of Don't Cry.  The way they have 2 vocals going to create a nice little melody.

I will def be putting this on my ipod tonight....I'm sure my co-workers are going to LOVE listening to this tomorrow hahaha. 

badapple81
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2006, 03:24:43 AM »

If you want to get turned on to Avenged you HAVE to listen to the new CD.? So far in their career, it is without a doubt the album that defines them.

It's a shame none of their stuff is on itunes, and none of the downloads on kazaa etc. seem to work.. must be the copyright protection. I'm not willing to buy a whole album to try it out.. I'll buy or download a song or two to give them a go.
badintentions
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2006, 07:35:44 AM »

i'm glad to see people are coming around and starting to like Avenged. I am always very very hesitant to like new music on the radio. most of what i listen to would never be played on the radio. I liked Bat Country the second time i heard it and got the album. when i got the album, i pretty much got into one song at a time until i liked almost all of it. then when i started listening to the whole thing it really really grew on me and i'm glad that i took the time to get into it. its pretty complex stuff musically, but the reward is there if you listen to it a few times before making a judgement. if i were to make a critique i would say the one filler song is "Blinded in Chains" and i really can't stand the acoustic part of "Sidewinder". I like acoustic stuff generally but when the drums come in on that it sounds real dave matthews-esqe or something. that said, awesome album great payoff if you take the time to get into it, but not an album that will necessarily immediately strike you as "awesome".
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2006, 11:42:11 AM »

It's a shame none of their stuff is on itunes, and none of the downloads on kazaa etc. seem to work.. must be the copyright protection. I'm not willing to buy a whole album to try it out.. I'll buy or download a song or two to give them a go.

Try limewire...i hear they are good.

Where in Oz are you from btw???  I travelled the east coast for two months last year.....loved Australia!

kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2006, 01:22:23 PM »

What do you guys think? I haven't heard crap all from Avenged Sevenfold or Bullet for my Valentine, but from what I've seen of their reputation and status, they're a hell of a lot better than Mix Master Mike or CKY. What do you guys think, compared to 2002, will these bands help GNR (as opposed to MMM, who, while I like Beasties, was completely wrong for the crowd)?

I personally think Weezer was the best opener GNR has had in recent years...
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2006, 01:33:53 PM »

I dont care for Avenged Sevenfold much, though I noticed the GNR influence immediately, particularly in the singer.  But they are certainly a better opener than Mix Master Mike, and CKY as well.  I think theyre a band GNR fans can dig.  Dont know anything about the other band.

I think Silvertide would make a terrific opener.  Same with The Distillers and possibly Interpol.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2006, 01:35:25 PM »

avenge would be steps above cky imo.. Mixmaster wasn't terrible but not my thing.. I don't evemn care about an opening act really.. New guns with an album should be able to carry a arena tour alone
kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2006, 01:36:22 PM »

I dont care for Avenged Sevenfold much, though I noticed the GNR influence immediately, particularly in the singer.  But they are certainly a better opener than Mix Master Mike, and CKY as well.  I think theyre a band GNR fans can dig.  Dont know anything about the other band.

I think Silvertide would make a terrific opener.  Same with The Distillers and possibly Interpol.

Of those, I only know the Distillers... who I do think would be an interesting choice.
What about the reconstituted AiC? While I don't really like the idea of AiC with no Layne, it might draw some interest...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: