Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 03:22:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228124 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Mysteron, if you want to whack the press, start with MTV!!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mysteron, if you want to whack the press, start with MTV!!  (Read 20713 times)
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2006, 01:37:50 PM »

Jameslofton verbally rapes "insane, mundane" Newsman

Suggests I am insane (I am on this board, righto), but who suggested this?  This, like the MTV headline, indicates it is the status quo opinion.  It does not attribute this to Jameslofton.  Does this make sense?  I hope it does, because it is an art, that is specifically used daily by huge corporate interests.  I am not saying that this happened in this instance, but do realize, PAYOLA, does not just apply to radio spins. 

dude, no offense, but your arguement is really lame....you can't report it as news, as fact that someone is "uncreative and untalented" (or whatever the stupid headline is).  OBVIOUSLY its an opinion.  EVEN if MTV.com agrees with Scott, its still just THEIR OPINION.   nothing is being reported as fact or the status quo.  If you can't grasp that this was just an attention grabbing headline you're really not fit to carry the "newsman" in your screen name.

Well, I respect your opinion--and think I could have made my point more clear.  Let me briefly clarify.  My main point is this:  some people on the board were trying to persuade the bretheren to write in the Boston Herald, to critisize one for basically stating their opinion, and a typo.  This, to me seem's far more blatant of a mistake, with a far wider audience, than that.  Thus, if one were to go after the press, I would go after them not for stating their valid opinions, but for writing misleading headlines, which can easily be misinterpreted, and are suggestive.  Let them know they should clarify the headline, and change it.  Very simple, but a let MTV know you are policing them, and they won't make the mistake again.  I was not trying to start an argument, which happens here much of the time; but to just state that words do matter, and they do persuade impressionable minds.

Just in case you don't believe the validity of my point, here is a case study, of this in action over the weekend (again either laziness, or Time Warner flexing it's meddle--nonetheless, misleading):

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/007864.php

but, unfortunately, that IS the nature of news today...to not just report facts, but to SHAPE the minds of impressionable readers.  EVERY major news outlet has an agenda (fox news anyone??). 

but thanks for the clarification, i see what you are getting at - but I thought the whole Boston Herald call to arms was pretty silly too.  Like I said before, at the end of the day people are going to have to make up their own minds and read between the lines.  I like to read news from all POVs so I can form my own balanced conclusions.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2006, 01:50:32 PM »

The ironic side of it is that

thanks to scott,  the paragraph omited from the press release against axl's will

now made a highlighten comeback.
I think that was part of the point. What Axl only wanted us forum people to see, Weiland has decided to share with the rest of the world. Like I said yesterday. Weiland decided to kick things up a notch. Its like Axl showed up to play an easy game of checkers but he walked into a room where chess is being played.

I believe what Axl's side said at the begining of the letter. It's a part of the counterclaim.
Otherwise, he could write it separetely from the legal statement.
What's the point in showing it just to a limited number of fans in the forums?

It's a news article on the main site of HTGTH. and @ the most of fan sites.
the court can read it.
What point is there in bsing? NO they couldn't.

I think you need to go back in time a little. Go read the beginning of these threads and how this press release was sent out. The newswires got one without the Slash/VR mentions while we got the one full of bullshit.

Read my post.

I said the court can see it at the main site of HTGTH, where people look in for GNR news. And at many other sites.
If they found an obvious BS that has nothing to do with the actual counterclaim in the release for the fans, what would they think of Axl?

Surely Mr. Weitzman isn't stupid. Neither is Merck or Axl, mysteron or Jarmo.
kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2006, 02:06:07 PM »

according to mysteron the newswires edited it themselves....something i never really believed...
Mysteron is wrong. Newswires dont edit press releases. Thats not their job. They send out what they receive. If they had edited it, Axl and the lapdog express would already be attacking them and filing lawsuits.

Wire services can edit press releases, and you can't sue them for it. Wire services are not a personal marketing machine for the various industries. They are allowed to quote in part or in whole, and to paraphrase. They can choose to carry some, all, or none of a press release.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #83 on: March 14, 2006, 02:21:30 PM »

Thanks kyrie for clarifying that.

A hard fact is telling. yes
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2006, 03:20:24 PM »

Thanks kyrie for clarifying that.

A hard fact is telling. yes

i`m not sure if they edited it or not..... on which purpose?

either there were to statements sent from management, or they in fact edited it....   

i don`t know what`s true..... but the two statement thing would make sense though.....

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
axlsalinger
Rocker

All I got, is precious time...

« Reply #85 on: March 14, 2006, 04:51:39 PM »

Jameslofton verbally rapes "insane, mundane" Newsman

Suggests I am insane (I am on this board, righto), but who suggested this?? This, like the MTV headline, indicates it is the status quo opinion.? It does not attribute this to Jameslofton.? Does this make sense?

No. The headline states, "quite clearly", what James Lofton had to say about Newsman. If people don't understand what quotations mean, that's their own problem.

I enjoyed the analogy that Axl's comment is "checkers", but Scott's ridiculous quote about botox and wigs is "chess". Heh.

When all is said and done,
We're not the only ones,
Who look at life this way
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #86 on: March 14, 2006, 05:29:32 PM »

according to mysteron the newswires edited it themselves....something i never really believed...
Mysteron is wrong. Newswires dont edit press releases. Thats not their job. They send out what they receive. If they had edited it, Axl and the lapdog express would already be attacking them and filing lawsuits.

And your experience with newswires is....
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2006, 05:42:37 PM »

I miss that inquisitive pooch in your avatar.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2006, 05:51:08 PM »

I miss that inquisitive pooch in your avatar.

I lost the link to it  hihi

A penguin with a tray should keep you pleased for now and the next few days I hope  smoking
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2006, 05:51:39 PM »

to clear it up...... the newswires edited it themselves. is that right?

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2006, 05:53:06 PM »

to clear it up...... the newswires edited it themselves. is that right?

That is what I was told and there is no reason to disbelieve it
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #91 on: March 14, 2006, 06:14:27 PM »

A penguin with a tray should keep you pleased for now and the next few days I hope  smoking
Wait! Are you trying to say something? Are you gonna bring something to us? Did you leak something? Are you Chris Pittman or what? hihi

axlsalinger
Rocker

All I got, is precious time...

« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2006, 07:33:42 PM »

Wait I know, Axl is filming a video with penguins right now!  hihi Antarctic democracy starts now!

When all is said and done,
We're not the only ones,
Who look at life this way
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2006, 08:14:27 PM »

Wire services can edit press releases, and you can't sue them for it. Wire services are not a personal marketing machine for the various industries. They are allowed to quote in part or in whole, and to paraphrase. They can choose to carry some, all, or none of a press release.
You, Mysteron, Thorazine Schuffle, and Ppbebe need to show examples instead of just declaring I'm wrong. I wont be holding my breath while I wait for you to deliver your examples.

Mysteron, the topic of this thread was aimed towards you in a certain way. Since you wanted us to attack the Boston media, and certain people thought you would again try and "rally the troops". Funny how you completely ignored 99% of the discussion here and just say that I dont know shit about press releases and making little remarks about your avatar.

kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2006, 08:28:42 PM »

You, Mysteron, Thorazine Schuffle, and Ppbebe need to show examples instead of just declaring I'm wrong. I wont be holding my breath while I wait for you to deliver your examples.

Mysteron, the topic of this thread was aimed towards you in a certain way. Since you wanted us to attack the Boston media, and certain people thought you would again try and "rally the troops". Funny how you completely ignored 99% of the discussion here and just say that I dont know shit about press releases and making little remarks about your avatar.

It's common knowledge. It happens every day. There's a million examples, but it's a bit of a pain in the ass searching them out, because I then need to find the wire story AND the original press release.

However, this is from the AP's Statement of News Values and Principles:

"Under no circumstances can releases reach the wire in their original form; we can use information and quotes from releases, but we must check the material, augment it with information from other sources, and then write our own stories."

Wire services and newspapers are not recycling centers for press releases, nor are they forums to post messages on. It's likely they edited out that paragraph because there's no way to tell if the Slash story is related to the lawsuit. They chose to focus on the suit, and not the personal issues between the parties involved.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2006, 08:32:20 PM »

It's common knowledge. It happens every day. There's a million examples, but it's a bit of a pain in the ass searching them out, because I then need to find the wire story AND the original press release.

"Under no circumstances can releases reach the wire in their original form; we can use information and quotes from releases, but we must check the material, augment it with information from other sources, and then write our own stories."

Wire services and newspapers are not recycling centers for press releases, nor are they forums to post messages on. It's likely they edited out that paragraph because there's no way to tell if the Slash story is related to the lawsuit. They chose to focus on the suit, and not the personal issues between the parties involved.
Nice of you to back your statement up with some facts. Most cant do that here. When this press release shit happened, I researched this a little bit, and I read the exact opposite. Maybe different wire services have different sets of standards.

But i know why they edited it. Because that whole section is 100% bullshit.

noizzynofuture
Rocker

Spread the Virus

« Reply #96 on: March 14, 2006, 09:34:53 PM »

He has none, he generally makes ridiculous statements without any knowledge (look above at what he said about you) and then later back pedals when people call him out on his bullshit (see above where WArose called him on his latest blunder about newswires).

The moral to this whole story is Axl should have kept his comments about slash out of his statement and none of this would have been an issue.  Anything slash supposedly told axl  should have been treated as private.
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #97 on: March 14, 2006, 10:05:49 PM »

Anything slash supposedly told axl  should have been treated as private.

Agreed.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
Democratized Canuck
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #98 on: March 14, 2006, 10:27:32 PM »

Nice of you to back your statement up with some facts. Most cant do that here. When this press release shit happened, I researched this a little bit, and I read the exact opposite. Maybe different wire services have different sets of standards.

But i know why they edited it. Because that whole section is 100% bullshit.

"Because the whole section is 100% Bullshit?   Can you back up your statements with facts? hihi
madison
Banned
Headliner

'Worrying's a waste of my f*cking time'

« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2006, 10:46:19 PM »

You're mistaken, my friend.
You're mixing apples with bananas here.

There's a difference between an editorial wire service, such as AP, Reuters, Bloomberg,  etc. -- and a distribution wire service, such as Business Wire and PRNewswire.? An editorial wire service always re-writes, edits and picks and chooses what it wants to publish and what it doesn't.?

However, a distribution wire service, such as Business Wire (which is how the GNR release was distributed), does not edit releases - it simply distributes them for clients for a fee.? If an error is made in the distribution, Business Wire will re-issue the release with a correction if asked.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 10:50:25 PM by madison » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: