Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 05:32:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl Rose is the most underrated genius of the 80s-00s
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl Rose is the most underrated genius of the 80s-00s  (Read 10891 times)
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2006, 07:13:25 PM »

I think he's a genius... who quite possibly will be better appreciated after he's long gone (I think there's too much controversy and ill-will surrounding Axl for him to get a fair judgment in his lifetime)...

I've always found it interesting though that in the music textbook (in my Music Appreciation 101 Class- which is almost entirely dedicated to the classical masters) I had at Harvard (not bragging just telling nervous) and published in 1999 (hardly the hey-day of GN'R) listed U2 and Guns N' Roses as the two most musically significant bands of the modern era (i.e. 1980-today) and mentioned Axl, Slash and Bono by name specifically. Which of course raises the issue of whether Slash and Bono are geniuses as well... Anyway, I've always considered that high-praise and solid evidence that GN'R's music will most definitely survive beyond our lifetimes... and maybe when Axl's dead, as well as anyone who truly remembers or cares about the controversies that surrounded him, he'll be judged a musical genius... I think that's definitely possible.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 07:15:31 PM by MaoAxl » Logged

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
McDuff
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2006, 07:15:23 PM »

he's not a genius,no matter what anyone says no
DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

Yes I have a shirt on, the words cover it.

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2006, 07:20:09 PM »

I dunno if I would throw the word genius around...Einstein was a genius, Mozart a genius....Axl is extremely, tremendously musically talented...I wouldn't go as far as genius...just my opinion.   

Where it's at   http://www.gnrevolution.com

check it out!!
RichardNixon
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2006, 09:14:01 PM »

Yeah, I love that Morrisey song about wanting to be loved while not wanting to eat meat no Roll Eyes

Lyrically the smiths blow guns n roses out of the water.

How soon is now > Illusion albums.?

Morrisey can suck mu balls. And he can suck Axl's balls, and I aint no hillbilly. I am a middle class liberal.
pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase? hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

Surely you jest.

to be fair judging by you're picture and you're posts I can clearly see an overly conservative brainwahsed hillbilly,? far too thick to understand clever, challenging and thought provoking lyrics. I really dont expect you to understand the smiths anyway, so in the meantime crack open a can o gasoline and hail the under current of pure genius in lyrics such as "turn around bitch i got a use for you" and "get the money motherfucker cuz i got no more patience" and erm "what? you pissed off cuz your daddy gets more pussy than you" nervous confused ok

its also clear that you've never thoroughly listened to a great songwriter.

to make things a bit more clear, you're either;

1. a bellend.
2. a bellend.
3. a bellend.

RichardNixon
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2006, 09:15:42 PM »

Yeah, I love that Morrisey song about wanting to be loved while not wanting to eat meat no Roll Eyes

Lyrically the smiths blow guns n roses out of the water.

How soon is now > Illusion albums.?

pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase? hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

Surely you jest.

to be fair judging by you're picture and you're posts I can clearly see an overly conservative brainwahsed hillbilly,? far too thick to understand clever, challenging and thought provoking lyrics. I really dont expect you to understand the smiths anyway, so in the meantime crack open a can o gasoline and hail the under current of pure genius in lyrics such as "turn around bitch i got a use for you" and "get the money motherfucker cuz i got no more patience" and erm "what? you pissed off cuz your daddy gets more pussy than you" nervous confused ok

its also clear that you've never thoroughly listened to a great songwriter.

to make things a bit more clear, you're either;

1. a bellend.
2. a bellend.
3. a bellend.

Morrisey can suck my balls. And he can suck Axl's balls. And I ain't no hillbilly. I am a middle class liberal, drunk at the moimenbt. peace ok
Bono
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2006, 09:15:54 PM »

I think he's a genius... who quite possibly will be better appreciated after he's long gone (I think there's too much controversy and ill-will surrounding Axl for him to get a fair judgment in his lifetime)...

He's already been long gone for a long time. ?rofl the second part is true though. he may neverf get a fair judgement. Alot will always come back to his antics and to be honest his weirdness.
madagas
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2006, 09:45:19 PM »

Axl's true talent is his ability to be fragile and cocksure at the same moment....a lot like Lennon in that respect. A very honest artist and that is why people ultimately connect with him...that is why he has a dedicated, devoted fanbase. I am not saying he is Lennon, but he has some of the same characteristics. An ability to connect with people on a very simplistic level. Genius...again, no.? peace However, not to stir the pot, but that is what separates him from someone like Scott Weiland. Scott is good but ultimately cannot write some of the gut wrenching lyrics that Axl can. Just my opinion...and to follow up on an earlier post, Coma is a perfect example...as is Estranged. Great guitar melodies are a plus but you have to have the lyrics to really connect with a mass audience.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 10:01:28 PM by madagas » Logged
Billo
VIP

"soon" is the word....SOON :)

« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2006, 11:02:01 PM »

Quote from: RichardNixon on Today at 06:56:09 AM

I would go on to say that "Catcher in the Rye" is easily as good as the best offerings from Pink Floyd/Led Zeppelin/the Beatles.

peace Umm.....are u on Drugs dude..thats a huge call and a bad 1..
Anyway is Axl the most Underated genius or the 80s + 90s..Id say when guns hit and were the biggest band in the world he wasent but maybe hes really waisted or how can i put it..hasent achived as much in the last 10 - 12 years as he could have...he hasent put an album out since 93 for fucks sake.. Cry
Dont get me wrong i love Axls music as much as the next fan but he could have put out a few more Albums but i just hope this CD comes out this Year.. beer
I really Like BETTER and TWAT more than IRS and CATR..but there all sweet.. ok

If u love guns the wait it allmost over..HEHE
SOLGER
Rocker

LIVE N? LET DIE

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2006, 12:13:25 AM »

gen?ius? ? ( P )? Pronunciation Key? (jnys)
n. pl. gen?ius?es

Extraordinary intellectual and creative power.
A person of extraordinary intellect and talent: ?One is not born a genius, one becomes a genius? (Simone de Beauvoir).
A person who has an exceptionally high intelligence quotient, typically above 140.

A strong natural talent, aptitude, or inclination: has a genius for choosing the right words.
One who has such a talent or inclination: a genius at diplomacy.
The prevailing spirit or distinctive character, as of a place, a person, or an era: the genius of Elizabethan England.
pl. ge?ni?i (jn-) Roman Mythology. A tutelary deity or guardian spirit of a person or place.
A person who has great influence over another.
A jinni in Muslim mythology.

I would say that Axl Rose possesses "extraordinary intellectual and creative power." While I don't think that shows itself so much on "Appetite for Destruction," which merely demonstrates Axl's incredible voice and charisma, I would say that the Illusion album hints at, and the "Chinese Demos" demonstrate Axl's genius. Songs like "Dead Horse," "Estranged" and "Locomotive" are the work of a genius.? I would go on to say that "Catcher in the Rye" is easily as good as the best offerings from Pink Floyd/Led Zeppelin/the Beatles.

So what do you fans think. Axl Rose, genius?

the defnition of genius descibes Bono a hell of alot more than it does Axl Tongue

As for Axl being a genius. Not really. Not at all actually. He didn't really do alot in the 80's or 90's. ?He's a great frontman and a great vocalist but with the lack of material he's put out since the other members left it makes you wonder who really was the genius/s behind Guns N' Roses. Maybe it was IZZY!

As for the Smiths I never really got them. I love The Cure and maybe that's why hihi It seems to go that way alot of the times. I didn't mind some of Morrisey's solo stuff though.

bono genious? ahahahahahaa  hihi yeah..lets write the same album over and over and over again...talentless bastard.

Live N' Let Die
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2006, 06:40:13 AM »

gen?ius? ? ( P )? Pronunciation Key? (jnys)
n. pl. gen?ius?es

Extraordinary intellectual and creative power.
A person of extraordinary intellect and talent: ?One is not born a genius, one becomes a genius? (Simone de Beauvoir).
A person who has an exceptionally high intelligence quotient, typically above 140.

A strong natural talent, aptitude, or inclination: has a genius for choosing the right words.
One who has such a talent or inclination: a genius at diplomacy.
The prevailing spirit or distinctive character, as of a place, a person, or an era: the genius of Elizabethan England.
pl. ge?ni?i (jn-) Roman Mythology. A tutelary deity or guardian spirit of a person or place.
A person who has great influence over another.
A jinni in Muslim mythology.

I would say that Axl Rose possesses "extraordinary intellectual and creative power." While I don't think that shows itself so much on "Appetite for Destruction," which merely demonstrates Axl's incredible voice and charisma, I would say that the Illusion album hints at, and the "Chinese Demos" demonstrate Axl's genius. Songs like "Dead Horse," "Estranged" and "Locomotive" are the work of a genius.? I would go on to say that "Catcher in the Rye" is easily as good as the best offerings from Pink Floyd/Led Zeppelin/the Beatles.

So what do you fans think. Axl Rose, genius?

the defnition of genius descibes Bono a hell of alot more than it does Axl Tongue

As for Axl being a genius. Not really. Not at all actually. He didn't really do alot in the 80's or 90's. ?He's a great frontman and a great vocalist but with the lack of material he's put out since the other members left it makes you wonder who really was the genius/s behind Guns N' Roses. Maybe it was IZZY!

As for the Smiths I never really got them. I love The Cure and maybe that's why hihi It seems to go that way alot of the times. I didn't mind some of Morrisey's solo stuff though.

bono genious? ahahahahahaa? hihi yeah..lets write the same album over and over and over again...talentless bastard.

yet axl could only dream of the success anbd respect bono has...
ARC
VIP

DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE TO THE RADIO

« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2006, 09:25:56 AM »

Here we are, almost twenty years after "Appetite For Destruction" was released, and Axl Rose continues to headline the biggest rock festivals on Earth. That's something no one else from Guns N' Roses can say, even Slash and Duff. Along with this, Axl Rose has remained a topic of wonderment for the last ten years, despite doing very little, and is currently being harangued by millions of fans to release another record.

I think there's some genius in there. If there wasn't, why would so many people care..?
makane
Legend

« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2006, 10:11:59 AM »

Here we are, almost twenty years after "Appetite For Destruction" was released, and Axl Rose continues to headline the biggest rock festivals on Earth. That's something no one else from Guns N' Roses can say, even Slash and Duff. Along with this, Axl Rose has remained a topic of wonderment for the last ten years, despite doing very little, and is currently being harangued by millions of fans to release another record.

I think there's some genius in there. If there wasn't, why would so many people care..?
genius in what, lying hes ass of to keep fans interested?

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
ARC
VIP

« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2006, 11:24:29 AM »

genius in what, lying hes ass of to keep fans interested?

... well, you're still interested. Obviously.

If he's such a horrible liar, why are you still here..?
makemyday
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2006, 12:01:58 PM »

Here we are, almost twenty years after "Appetite For Destruction" was released, and Axl Rose continues to headline the biggest rock festivals on Earth.

No, Guns N' Roses continues to headline the biggest rock festivals on Earth.

That's something no one else from Guns N' Roses can say, even Slash and Duff. Along with this, Axl Rose has remained a topic of wonderment for the last ten years, despite doing very little, and is currently being harangued by millions of fans to release another record.

I was interested in Duff's solo albums, Izzy's solo albums and in Velvet Revolver..... until I heard them. Roll Eyes

Foxtrot
Uniform
Charlie
Kilo
ARC
VIP

« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2006, 12:16:53 PM »

So, you think Guns N' Roses would still headline these festivals without Axl...?? Roll Eyes

I was interested in Duff's solo albums, Izzy's solo albums and in Velvet Revolver..... until I heard them. Roll Eyes

... I wasn't. And I certainly wouldn't have waited ten years for either Duff, Izzy or Velvet Revolver.
EccoTides
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2006, 02:56:48 PM »

Lyrically, I consider him to be a genius. Few can touch the man when he's on his game with his lyrics.

As for otherwise, genius is way too strong of a word - He's definitely a very smart fellow though. Very well informed, well read, and articulate.
makemyday
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2006, 11:48:06 AM »

So, you think Guns N' Roses would still headline these festivals without Axl...?  Roll Eyes

So, you think Axl would still headline these festivals without the Guns N' Roses name...? Roll Eyes

... I wasn't. And I certainly wouldn't have waited ten years for either Duff, Izzy or Velvet Revolver.

Nearly the same amount of people would wait for a Slash album if he wouldn't have done anything since "The Spaghetti Incident".

Foxtrot
Uniform
Charlie
Kilo
Oh My Choking Soul
VIP

Flee the scene...

« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2006, 12:01:50 PM »

Once you have had a pinball machine made in your image you no longer qualify as underrated.

The Dog
Legend

« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2006, 12:17:43 PM »

I wouldn't say genius......but if you change the question from "genius" to "artist"...then I think the answer is a resounding YES.  Hes not only a bad ass/kick ass hard rocker, but his ballads are so emotional and epic.  I hope when he retires from singing/touring he becomes a producer (I hope for the sake of people he might work with that he learns how to speed things up though heeh).

I'm a firm believer that in order to produce true, quality art, especially in music, you must have some tragic, suffering element to your work - from everything we know and everything that is speculated, Axl seems like a very tortured soul...and music is his outlet of expression for that.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2006, 12:30:04 PM »

I might have been a bit premature with my conclusion.... BUT if Axl successfully rebuilds one of the greatest hard rock bands ever (where literally every single decision has ultimately been his from square 1) and delivers artistically significant music (and the leaks seem to indicate he's on his way...) that is yet in keeping with the spirit/aura of the original band and revitalizes rock at the age of 44-45.... I think he's a musical genius. His stock will go WAY UP in music history, as well as, popular cultural history...

A lot of big "if's" there though...

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: