Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 05:26:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl Rose is the most underrated genius of the 80s-00s
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl Rose is the most underrated genius of the 80s-00s  (Read 10872 times)
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2006, 09:17:17 AM »

I think Axl is a great composer as for genius I can't say he just was in the right place the right time, thats it I think  Undecided

No man can be my equal
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2006, 09:19:30 AM »

IMO, he's not a genius Undecided
RichardNixon
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2006, 09:22:04 AM »

Axl Rose a genius? no chance! what Axl is a great rock singer songwriter. To be considered a genius you need to either be head and shoulders above the rest of the crowd or you have to bring something new.? Also, is Axl underrated? again probably not but we need to hear Chinese Democracy before we can make thet judgement.

I think CITR and Estranged make Axl worthy of being called a genius.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2006, 09:52:30 AM »

I'll say he was a great frontman from 87-93.. 95 to 2006 a big zilch
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2006, 09:55:24 AM »

Axl Rose a genius? no chance! what Axl is a great rock singer songwriter. To be considered a genius you need to either be head and shoulders above the rest of the crowd or you have to bring something new.? Also, is Axl underrated? again probably not but we need to hear Chinese Democracy before we can make thet judgement.

I think CITR and Estranged make Axl worthy of being called a genius.

you know what's funny, everyone acts like estranged was just a good song vocally and only axl did anything to contribute to it... The fucking song rocks more because it has amazing solos n riffs all through the damn song, otherwise it would be just a good song...
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2006, 10:20:08 AM »

As a musican. Maybe. Otherwise, No.
Yes, because he can't be much of a genious if he makes his girlfriend shit in a cat box.

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
RichardNixon
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2006, 10:22:12 AM »

As a musican. Maybe. Otherwise, No.
Yes, because he can't be much of a genious if he makes his girlfriend shit in a cat box.

How do we know for sure that Axl made Stephanie Seymour shit in a kitty litter box?
grendood
My favorite word is: Bellend
Banned
Rocker

caught on film.

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2006, 10:58:36 AM »

Yeah, I love that Morrisey song about wanting to be loved while not wanting to eat meat no Roll Eyes

Lyrically the smiths blow guns n roses out of the water.

How soon is now > Illusion albums. 

pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase  hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

Surely you jest.

to be fair judging by you're picture and you're posts I can clearly see an overly conservative brainwahsed hillbilly,  far too thick to understand clever, challenging and thought provoking lyrics. I really dont expect you to understand the smiths anyway, so in the meantime crack open a can o gasoline and hail the under current of pure genius in lyrics such as "turn around bitch i got a use for you" and "get the money motherfucker cuz i got no more patience" and erm "what? you pissed off cuz your daddy gets more pussy than you" nervous confused ok

its also clear that you've never thoroughly listened to a great songwriter.

to make things a bit more clear, you're either;

1. a bellend.
2. a bellend.
3. a bellend.

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2006, 11:29:20 AM »

1. a bellend.
2. a bellend.
3. a bellend.

Don't bring that shit to this section.

What the are you doing posting in this board anyway? You don't like the band? Fine. Go somewhere else....or go back to your Oasis thread in the Bad obssesion section.
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2006, 11:35:09 AM »

The melodies on One in a million are genius but i dont think Axl will ever surpass that song.
grendood
My favorite word is: Bellend
Banned
Rocker

caught on film.

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2006, 11:35:39 AM »

I like the band yes yes ok

yourself and hilbilly nixon arent very intelligent at all, (blind faith)  confused confused nervous nervous

I know my music.  yes
warrocks
VIP

Dance Of Fate....we're not afraid...

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2006, 11:53:00 AM »

to me a good songwriter is when someone tries to express its emotions , feeling, thoughts in a straight honest way that you can easily feel identified or connected or whatever make you feel for that matter... but? not with metaphors and shit like that. that's why I love axl lyrics `cause he writes what on his mind, his heart in a very honest way and you know what he's trying to express.

so for me his music and lyrics are what is called a genious in music  ok
« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 12:01:06 PM by warrocks » Logged

..... Till Death Do us Apart.....GNR forever!
Communist China
Banned
VIP

All the ladies are welcome to my jungle!

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2006, 04:19:12 PM »

No. No, and fuck no.

Great, yes. Genius, no, no, and fuck no.

that makes you a nut swinger. Deal with it.? ok
madagas
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2006, 04:27:18 PM »

I would have to say Coma is easily Axl's best moment lyrically. Also, the effects in the song border on genius. The bitches going after him right after that great guitar solo is just....perfect. Then, the "I love you".....Axl's finest moment and in my opinion his only moment of genius. Very talented guy, but Genius...no. I reserve that for people like Dylan, Hendrix, and Miles Davis. CITR is a very crafty/clever song and has really grown on me. I can't wait to actually read accurate lyrics and hear the final version. beer
Origen
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2006, 04:28:56 PM »

Fuck No.

Axl was a street kid who did an amazing album with a group of guys about getting wasted. Followed by 1 double album with some rockers and ballads on and that was it. The new stuff might be good but not that good.

There has been amazing frontman, some like Axl, he is above some frontmen but not all.

Axl WAS an amazing frontman probably my favourite, but he is not a genius, he's done fuck all for years, get over it. ?ok

« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 04:32:00 PM by Origen » Logged
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2006, 05:14:34 PM »

Yes he is, in my opinion. He's great on so many levels.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 05:20:26 PM by journey » Logged
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2006, 05:24:30 PM »

Overall?.....Yes, Axl is a genius.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
Bono
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2006, 05:25:01 PM »

gen?ius? ? ( P )? Pronunciation Key? (jnys)
n. pl. gen?ius?es

Extraordinary intellectual and creative power.
A person of extraordinary intellect and talent: ?One is not born a genius, one becomes a genius? (Simone de Beauvoir).
A person who has an exceptionally high intelligence quotient, typically above 140.

A strong natural talent, aptitude, or inclination: has a genius for choosing the right words.
One who has such a talent or inclination: a genius at diplomacy.
The prevailing spirit or distinctive character, as of a place, a person, or an era: the genius of Elizabethan England.
pl. ge?ni?i (jn-) Roman Mythology. A tutelary deity or guardian spirit of a person or place.
A person who has great influence over another.
A jinni in Muslim mythology.

I would say that Axl Rose possesses "extraordinary intellectual and creative power." While I don't think that shows itself so much on "Appetite for Destruction," which merely demonstrates Axl's incredible voice and charisma, I would say that the Illusion album hints at, and the "Chinese Demos" demonstrate Axl's genius. Songs like "Dead Horse," "Estranged" and "Locomotive" are the work of a genius.? I would go on to say that "Catcher in the Rye" is easily as good as the best offerings from Pink Floyd/Led Zeppelin/the Beatles.

So what do you fans think. Axl Rose, genius?

the defnition of genius descibes Bono a hell of alot more than it does Axl Tongue

As for Axl being a genius. Not really. Not at all actually. He didn't really do alot in the 80's or 90's. ?He's a great frontman and a great vocalist but with the lack of material he's put out since the other members left it makes you wonder who really was the genius/s behind Guns N' Roses. Maybe it was IZZY!

As for the Smiths I never really got them. I love The Cure and maybe that's why hihi It seems to go that way alot of the times. I didn't mind some of Morrisey's solo stuff though.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 05:28:06 PM by Bono » Logged
ElNonoPololo
Headliner

Here Today...I guess

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2006, 06:22:12 PM »

I?m sorry, but if Axl Rose is a genius, then the I guess that word doesn?t count for much...

Music wise, he?s good, way above average. You may say unique, if you want to. A musical genius? No way in hell. There are millions of singers with a better technique, a better ear, more range, and more power than Axl. He?s not the best example of the emotional or sincere singer, either. Lennon, Janis or Ray Charles, to name some, are leagues above him there. You can feel their pain, just listen to Mother by Lennon or Joplin?s version of Work Me Lord, or just about ANYTHING by Ray. The fact that Axl turned a song with such an emotional resonance as KOHD into a catchy, but innocuous rocker (or worst, a reggea nervous) speaks volumes.

As a lyricist, he has his moments. But he?s no Dylan, much less a poetic genius. Suck on my serpentine?Huh GET IN THE RING?Huh?

As a songwriter...Jesus, I can?t believe people say he?s such an incredible songwriter when he have only a couple of songs that were written by him. They?re pretty good, but c?mon...Estranged and NR are interesting pieces, but nothing out of the ordinary in terms of structure. What pushes them above the other songs is, and please don?t kill me, Slash?s solos and counter-melodies, just like some songs written by Slash were improved by Axl. It wasn?t a one-man job. He did/does have a knack for vocal melodies, but Axl is no Lennon/Mccartney, or Harrison for that matter, or Stevie Wonder, or Prince, or Dylan, or Townshend. And I don?t know if I would call any of those people geniuses.  Pieces written by Mozart at age 5 are still widely played to this day. Can they compete with that?

And intellectually... Roll Eyes You may say he?s intelligent. For a rock-star. At most. A GENIUS?? or even above average? If you have heard any of his rants, you know he has the maturity of a 13 year old. And not a particulary mature one.

If you call Axl a genius, what are Einstein, Newton, Beethoven, Aristotle, Picasso, Whitehead, Franklin, Voltaire, Chopin, Chuck Norris...?

Besides, his inability to put an album in a decade has been turned by some fans into undeniable proof of greatness, instead of the other way round.

He?s talented, though. peace

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!!
BLS-Pride
Jack Daniel's drinkin'
Banned
Legend

Roses of Velvet Mother Fuckers.

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2006, 06:23:46 PM »

If you want to call someone a genius who writes music.. Bob Dylan over Axl any day.

www.rosesofvelvet.com
[BLS-Pride] 10:16 pm: ron - lemmy is god.. agreed?
[Bumblefoot] 10:16 pm: Lemmy created God.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: