Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2024, 07:41:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228100 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  How do IRS, CITR, Better and TWAT stack up against other radio singles
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: How do IRS, CITR, Better and TWAT stack up against other radio singles  (Read 4131 times)
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2006, 05:39:17 PM »

How they stack up against current radio songs isn't really important if they can't get out from under the shadows of the old bands greatest songs.

People will never look at this band as anything more than an immitation of the real thing if they can't surpass the achievements of the original Guns, regardless of how the songs stack up against current music.

Axl is being judged on whether the new music/direction was worth breaking up the original band (regarded as one of the greatest in RnR history), not whether he can make a better song than Nickelback or U2.

tp4ever84
Headliner

GNR For Fucking Ever

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2006, 05:42:25 PM »

What do you want us to compare it with all the crap thats out today? ?I think Better is the best of the leaks and that is mostly because its the most finished and has rock single sound. ?I think it would kick all ass and be up there with the last few noticable hit rock songs "Out of Exile" - Audioslave, "Blue Orchid" - White Stripes, "Little Sister" - QOFTSA. ?It would destroy Bat country, animals, wasteland, and hypnotize. ?I have a burning hate for both U2 and new Pearl Jam so I won't compare and can't because I would turn the song the moment I heard it. ?

CITR is my next favorite even though it needs some work and is not the best quality sounding. ?I think it would kill all slower type songs out today when finished and would be up with "behind those eyes" - 3 doors down, "the gift" - seether, "As Ugly as I seem" - white stripes. ?

All in all GNR would be able to rule or co-rule the radio waves again when CD comes out, there is not many good bands out today. ?You may disagree but I think the only real good original bands out today are Audioslave, White Stripes, 3 Doors Down, Chili Peppers, and QOFSTA. ?Silvertide could also be in this group if they pull of a good sophmore cd.
TrixAreForKids
Silly Rabbit
Rocker

Tongue like a razor.

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2006, 05:43:28 PM »

In my opinion, Pearl Jam's 'Worldwide Suicide' is probably as good as 'I.R.S.' and better than the rest of the stuff we have heard so far. peace

WWS is good, but better than 'Better'? C'mon.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2006, 05:44:30 PM »

Was the title of this thread changed? I could have sworn that it read "IRS, CITR, Better and TWAT vs other bands songs." I guess when I mentioned Octavarium the title was changed to "radio singles."

No that is fine you mention that song but most ppl dont know songs like that since most ppl just hear waht is on the radio. I changed my title for jarmo since i choose my words poorly the first time

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
HungerForChaos
Rocker

Not Here Yesterday...

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2006, 05:47:23 PM »

How they stack up against current radio songs isn't really important if they can't get out from under the shadows of the old bands greatest songs.

People will never look at this band as anything more than an immitation of the real thing if they can't surpass the achievements of the original Guns, regardless of how the songs stack up against current music.

Axl is being judged on whether the new music/direction was worth breaking up the original band (regarded as one of the greatest in RnR history), not whether he can make a better song than Nickelback or U2.

There are lots of kids that don't know who GnR is or have only heard of them. They outnumber the old fans, so if it appeals to new audiences, then Axl has nothing to worry about.

Heck I had never heard of them untill last year, then I heard one of their songs on San Andreas and thought, "hey they're pretty good", but never became a fan till I saw a news article about them on Yahoo then listened to their new stuff.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 05:49:42 PM by HungerForChaos » Logged
BabyGorilla
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2006, 05:49:17 PM »

Do the guidelines of this thread prohibit songs played on satellite radio or are we restricted to only listing singles played on stations owned by Clear Channel?
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2006, 05:50:48 PM »

Do the guidelines of this thread prohibit songs played on satellite radio or are we restricted to only listing singles played on stations owned by Clear Channel?

You can do it for any songs if you want. But normal radio is the kind of music most kids are hearing today. Some of the best bands are not even played on the radio.

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Lucky
Legend

There are no tuesdays left in 2006 and/or 2007!!!

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2006, 05:51:29 PM »

I've been on the forums for 6 years now, and this is the smartest thing I've read!!!

typical fan talkin about reunion:  http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/axG5B52_460s.jpg
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2006, 05:53:43 PM »

I've been on the forums for 6 years now, and this is the smartest thing I've read!!!

This thread is about the new songs vs other songs that are out right now its not about old gnr vs new gnr. That has been done to death, stay on topic.

estranged88
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2006, 05:59:02 PM »

One word: Octavarium--a 24-minute epic on the last Dream Theater album that is absolutely mesmerizing.

Octavarium is amazing, cetainly one of my favorite songs, but I think hes referring to songs that get alot of radio play.  I have yet to hear Octavarium on the radio.

Why do you cook stove top in the oven???
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2006, 06:00:47 PM »

This thread is about the new songs vs other songs that are out right now its not about old gnr vs new gnr. That has been done to death, stay on topic.

That's fine. I stated my opinion, which I think many other GNR fans share, that your comparison is somewhat irrelevant because we all know the Current incarnation of GNR is better than most bands out there.

Which is why the real question is whether the songs are stronger than the old ones.
BabyGorilla
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2006, 06:07:20 PM »

One word: Octavarium--a 24-minute epic on the last Dream Theater album that is absolutely mesmerizing.

Octavarium is amazing, cetainly one of my favorite songs, but I think hes referring to songs that get alot of radio play.  I have yet to hear Octavarium on the radio.

The original title of the thread said nothing about radio singles. It simply said "IRS, CITR, Better, and TWAT vs other bands songs." That is why I mentioned Octavarium. I think Panic Attack was also released as a single and I like that song better then the new GNR songs as well.
misterbrownstone
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2006, 06:13:00 PM »

Octavarium wasn't even a single...Huh
BabyGorilla
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2006, 06:16:44 PM »

For the last time, when I first replied to this thread the title was:

IRS, CITR, Better and TWAT vs other bands songs.

It was later changed to:

IRS, CITR, Better and TWAT vs other radio singles
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2006, 06:17:20 PM »

For the last time, when I first replied to this thread the title was:

IRS, CITR, Better and TWAT vs other bands songs.

It was later changed to:

IRS, CITR, Better and TWAT vs other radio singles

Can you just drop it, and stay on topic damn is it that hard?

BabyGorilla
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2006, 06:20:42 PM »

Well, obviously I have to defend myself if people are accusing my contribution to the thread as being irrelevant when it was relevant when I first replied to it. It's not my fault that the title was changed so people shouldn't blame me.
Mustapha
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2006, 07:23:27 PM »

yep that's right, massive Genesis-Yes-Camel-ripped tune rofl
Seriously, I really enjoyed it, it's very probably my favorite track of DT
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2006, 07:31:51 PM »

its amazing, one pathetic Axl outburst brings all the Axl-lites out from under their beds, throwing them into crazed, frothing at the mouth, perspective draining, lunacy.

There was relative agreement and peace going on there for a while

Too much to drink, eh?

Huh Huh

err.. yeah, - perhaps if i were drunk I would see this debacle differently  Huh

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
lookingforbigfoot
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2006, 09:13:10 PM »

People,

THESE AREN'TE DEMO'S

Chief
Legend

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2006, 11:39:45 PM »

where did you get that idea? I know otherwise...

People,

THESE AREN'TE DEMO'S

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: