Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 12:20:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  2002 Tour and upcoming shows? Is this a test period?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2002 Tour and upcoming shows? Is this a test period?  (Read 2904 times)
Minneapolisnewsman
« on: March 05, 2006, 03:06:43 AM »

When GNR returned at RIO, in 2001 it was magic, and the band had a tremendous chance to be well received and make a comeback.? Rose's emotion towards the end of the show, coupled with the great live performance, gave everyone hope and led to much well deserved positive press.? But something changed between that night, and the 2002 tour.? During 2002, there certainly were highlights; and the tour was growing attendance wise.  Moreover, band was playing very well right about the time the tour cancelled.? Nonetheless, there were times when it seemed the guy's might have wanted to be somewhere other than at the gig.

At the time, I was so excited to see Guns, and watch the bootlegs, that I thought the band was awesome even when they were not. The rose colored glasses were pretty thick.? Tonight, I have been watching many performances from the 2002 tour, and it is a little painful at times.? The Chicago performance, The Toronto gig, and the MSG performances were solid--actually killer shows!!!? But, I must say that some of the new stuff lacked any punch live (especially the song Chinese Democracy), and with some time between the excitement of the times (2002) and now, the stuff seems, do I dare say, more stale.?  One could also see that Bucket did not have chemistry with the rest of the band, which must have taken energy away from portions of the performances.? The whole tour seemed, well, flat and forced (there was plenty of magic, but there was plenty of "punching the timecard")!

Also, after the One in the Million, St Louis, Philly Incident, the bloated videos, and VR's rise to prominence, there is a faction of die hard Axl haters in N. America.? In fact, there is an element of doubt regarding the new band's creditibility in some circles (esp. certain DJ's who seem to blame Axl for the implosion of the old band, and can't figure out that Finck, Stinson, Fortus, and Brain were in killer bands previously).? Slash, on the other hand, is generally well liked and considered cool by about everyone it seems (this maybe the lead singer vs. guitarist perception as much as directly about Axl and Slash).? Axl, may need the balance of Slash's aura to make GNR successful again on a huge scale.   After the euphoria of the leaks and the prospect of the new album, has died down, does anyone get that same feeling they had in 2002?? I am thrilled to hear the music, and what the band has done, but am increasingly wondering if the album really is about to be delivered, and if it is, is it going to be panned so hard due to anti-Axl bashers, that it won't get completely off the ground (don't take this as my opinion, I think Axl is a dynamic, genius, last great rock star)??

I don't know what to think, but I am wondering if the European dates are a test period.? If it works out, the band will try to book some shows in N. America.? If problems arise, and reception is not the best, I wonder if Axl will end the pain for all involved, and call Slash earlier than the induction year?? It's Saturday Night, and am openly surmising, but would like to hear what you other die-hards think??? I think there are so many variables right now, that predicting success or failure is almost impossible for this project.? It's always a pretty sure bet, good album or not, that U2 and Metallica will sell out arenas, and have a successful tour.? With this new GNR, it is a whole different animal right now, until they prove themselves.? I really, really hope the album is released, the band has a nice tour, and everyone involved is rewarded.?  Being hungry, might be a positive!!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 04:55:17 AM by Minneapolisnewsman » Logged
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 03:22:29 AM »

I think we are entering the last phase. I really hope this album comes out before the european tour starts, or we might never get it. As I'vr stated in other threads, I dont think this european tour will be as successful as people think. Hell, it might get cancelled before it even starts. There are so many risks involved when this band decides to do something. If the euro tour collapses, what can he do next? Does another failure put the status of CD in lingo? So many different scenarios could occur. If anything else fails during 'new' GNR's career, we will never see a reunion. Axl will have to prove to himself(and others) that he could accomplish something on his own. He is the only member/ex-member to not release an album. He will not run with his tail between his legs admitting defeat to the original members and ask for a reunion. Those desperate for a reunion better be praying that this album acheives whatever goals that Axl has set for it.

Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 03:37:28 AM »

I think we are entering the last phase. I really hope this album comes out before the european tour starts, or we might never get it. As I'vr stated in other threads, I dont think this european tour will be as successful as people think. Hell, it might get cancelled before it even starts. There are so many risks involved when this band decides to do something. If the euro tour collapses, what can he do next? Does another failure put the status of CD in lingo? So many different scenarios could occur. If anything else fails during 'new' GNR's career, we will never see a reunion. Axl will have to prove to himself(and others) that he could accomplish something on his own. He is the only member/ex-member to not release an album. He will not run with his tail between his legs admitting defeat to the original members and ask for a reunion. Those desperate for a reunion better be praying that this album acheives whatever goals that Axl has set for it.

I think the RIO show is huge!!  If they can play phenomenal, one of their best set's ever,  and set the stage for the other dates, then they will have success.  These rehearsals are critical!  I wonder, still, though if there is something unexpected yet to happen before RIO???  A few club shows in the U.S. or England?  A defection by one of the current guy's?  A single dropping, and being received like OMG?   A hit single? 

If the album does not drop, or at least get scheduled by May, then the risk of implosion grow's by the second. 
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 05:08:09 AM »

If the album does not drop, or at least get scheduled by May, then the risk of implosion grow's by the second.?
Thats what I meant in my post. When they get close to Rio and no album is in stores, an aura of 2002 will hang over the band. They will question the motive behind this tour, and realize without an album coming, whats the point? Doing a few shows in Europe wont prove anything to them. Been there, done that. If thats a success, and they head to Asia and still no album, whats the point? Been there, done that. If that is a success, and they take the huge risk of playing here, whats the point? The media will question the legitimacy and integrity of the band, and fans will wonder if CD is even coming out and maybe this tour is worthless. The fate of this tour rests on the album being released. If its not, then the chances of this tour succeeding are near zero.

mick
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 05:39:01 AM »

It all hinges on :

1) Chinese Democracy actually getting released.
2) It being a great album (CD whatever).

I was at the MSG show, it was indeed an outstanding night. HOWEVER, I watch the bootleg video now, some 4 years later, and I see no enthusiasm from Bucket and no chemistry between him and the rest of the band. Finck has moments where it looks to me like he wants to leave the stage in boredom.

The points I mentioned above are crucial from not only the publics reception of the NuGnR point of view, but also the band's. I think these guys did not feel 100% comfortable doing shows where 90% of the time they were covering someone else's work. Hopefully CD will drop PRIOR to the shows starting, the music will be great and well received and these guys will have their first chance to actually show off the fruits of their labor. I think this will do wonders for the band's morale and attitude.

Of course if the new material is not received well that will put a damper on it all.
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 08:50:45 AM »

For success in the US, CD needs to be released before the tour

Crashdiet
Banned
VIP

'Absolutely'

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 09:10:49 AM »

This is really do or die time for axl. I mean 2002 was decent but not memoriable.

If axl wants to prove his worth he needs to

A) show up for rehearshal .. so the at band as a whole feels like a band not just bunch of hired guns.

B) Not fake it. Lets face it the 2002 shows compared with 1992 or 1987 axl feesl like a charade. Axl is going through the motions of what he thinks should be cool. but in reality he is a parody of himself. Axl needs to reaquaint himself with the music and what he is really trying to convey. When axl is authentic he is brillant... when he is faking it is very apparent. almost all of the 2002 tour was  faked as far as i'm concerned.

He needs to become who he is. I will say on the new tunes on the 2002 tour the band seemed to come alive...

c) release a new album. Without a new album Axl's gnr is nothing but a cover band. A great one at that... BUT... come on appetite is 20 years old almost. Let really bury the past and show what the vision is. If axl doesn't have a vision by now. enough release an album after 10 years.... then he really isn't who we all hoped and wished he would be. 10 years of nothing but time, money, talent, and interest. If he can't release a brillant album after all that then he really his a hack from indiana who can't make it  without  the backs of slash and izzy.

I'm sorry ... i've always loved axl for the glory that is estanged and coma etc... but after all this time, leisure, opportunity and hired talent.... if he can't give us an amazing, and breath taking complication of music.... then he is an ass.

I'm sorry. I love the dude and all he has done. But if you gave 1/ 26th the amount of money he has  had alotted to him by geffen/insterscope a thousand other singer/songwriters in north america would have created something WAY MORE MINDBLOWiNG than the demo's we've heard.

lets hope axl is as great as we think he is.

Check out www.myspace.com/ashjonesmusic
Its me and my songs

Saskatoon, Sask Place March 16 1993

New York, Hammerstein Ballroom
May 12, 14, 15, 17
Axl S
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 09:52:36 AM »

I think the succes of this whole thing hinges on two things

1) Chinese Democracy been released soon

2) Wheter or not the Axl Rose Mini Golf Open clashes wiht the tour dates. Golf comes first in Axl's world.
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2006, 11:16:49 AM »

I just can't believe this is another 'test' period- the 2002 test failed (at least in the US) because nobody knew who this band was, b/c there was no newer material in circulation for them to identify with. For however much you can knock Axl and Merck, i just don't think they'd be daft enough to redo 2002-too much confidence was lost then by promoters and ticket-buyers. you know the old saying 'you never get a second chance to make a first impression?' somehow, axl has managed to give himself that second chance and he just can't blow it this time and think he'll be deemed anything but a failure.

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2006, 01:05:32 PM »

This is really do or die time for axl. I mean 2002 was decent but not memoriable.

A) show up for rehearshal .. so the at band as a whole feels like a band not just bunch of hired guns.

B) Not fake it. Lets face it the 2002 shows compared with 1992 or 1987 axl feesl like a charade. Axl is going through the motions of what he thinks should be cool. but in reality he is a parody of himself. Axl needs to reaquaint himself with the music and what he is really trying to convey. When axl is authentic he is brillant... when he is faking it is very apparent. almost all of the 2002 tour was? faked as far as i'm concerned.

He needs to become who he is. I will say on the new tunes on the 2002 tour the band seemed to come alive...

c) release a new album. Without a new album Axl's gnr is nothing but a cover band. A great one at that... BUT... come on appetite is 20 years old almost. Let really bury the past and show what the vision is. If axl doesn't have a vision by now. enough release an album after 10 years.... then he really isn't who we all hoped and wished he would be. 10 years of nothing but time, money, talent, and interest. If he can't release a brillant album after all that then he really his a hack from indiana who can't make it? without? the backs of slash and izzy.

I'm sorry ... i've always loved axl for the glory that is estanged and coma etc... but after all this time, leisure, opportunity and hired talent.... if he can't give us an amazing, and breath taking complication of music.... then he is an ass.

I'm sorry. I love the dude and all he has done. But if you gave 1/ 26th the amount of money he has? had alotted to him by geffen/insterscope a thousand other singer/songwriters in north america would have created something WAY MORE MINDBLOWiNG than the demo's we've heard.

How much do you guy's think having new album out would have helped the last tour? 
oneway23
VIP

I've asphyxiated waiting...

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2006, 01:16:03 PM »

These dates are necessary to instill confidence in US promoters who will have to shell out exorbitant amounts of money up front for GNR to tour stateside.  I still believe we will see a release in June or July after the European dates.  IF everything goes off without a hitch, we could see shows here by Sept-Oct.  The GNR camp has to realize what''s at stake here.  One misstep, and any plans to release could be in jeopardy.
Mandy.
Bitch Queen
Legend

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2006, 01:23:08 PM »

I think this is it.

If the album doesn't come out this year, it won't ever come out.
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2006, 02:24:17 PM »

I think this is it.

If the album doesn't come out this year, it won't ever come out.

Exactly.  The other guy's have too much talent to sit around another two years waiting.  I actually, if CD succeeds commercially or not, love the new bandmembers.  If the band is well received at Rio and Download, that will be a big plus.  But they most hit with some momemtum this time, around the shows, and have the album ready to go!  If not, it takes on the impression of a money grab.  It's like they would be dangling the carrot of a new album (buzz) in front of the promoters, using it to secure a huge guarantee for the shows. 
Chief
Legend

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2006, 02:45:40 PM »

A great new album would have been HUGE in 2002 and the tour would have gone MUCH better i think!

B) Not fake it. Lets face it the 2002 shows compared with 1992 or 1987 axl feesl like a charade. Axl is going through the motions of what he thinks should be cool. but in reality he is a parody of himself. Axl needs to reaquaint himself with the music and what he is really trying to convey. When axl is authentic he is brillant... when he is faking it is very apparent. almost all of the 2002 tour was  faked as far as i'm concerned.

c) release a new album. Without a new album Axl's gnr is nothing but a cover band. A great one at that... BUT... come on appetite is 20 years old almost. Let really bury the past and show what the vision is. If axl doesn't have a vision by now. enough release an album after 10 years.... then he really isn't who we all hoped and wished he would be. 10 years of nothing but time, money, talent, and interest. If he can't release a brillant album after all that then he really his a hack from indiana who can't make it  without  the backs of slash and izzy.

I'm sorry. I love the dude and all he has done. But if you gave 1/ 26th the amount of money he has  had alotted to him by geffen/insterscope a thousand other singer/songwriters in north america would have created something WAY MORE MINDBLOWiNG than the demo's we've heard.

How much do you guy's think having new album out would have helped the last tour? 

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: