Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 08, 2024, 06:25:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228157 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Brian May confirms his presence on Catcher In The Rye guitars
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian May confirms his presence on Catcher In The Rye guitars  (Read 16018 times)
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2006, 07:46:42 AM »

Who's Brian May?

And I swear I posted this like 10 minutes ago already...

People should be banned for asking such questions...

Go listen to some Queen...

Here here, how can anybody talk about Rock and not even know who Brian May is,  crying

Calm down people. Don't go overboard on someone just because they're not familiar with or don't know who Brian May is.

On the topic, it's cool to hear Brian is officially a part of the album. Although we suspected he had done some work for some time now anyways.

I refuse to calm down. He/she should be banned...  Grin

On a serious note, I honestly think that Queen is one of the first bands anyone needs to listen to, if they are really into rock music.

They were pioneers and Brian May was a big part of it, even though lots of people think that Queen was all about Freddie...

And I know that some will say that not all of their songs were THAT good, but when a band has written songs like Bohemian or Who Wants To Live Forever, they deserve R-E-S-P-E-C-T...

Dont Try Me
Life Without You
Legend

« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2006, 07:51:23 AM »

Who's Brian May?

Here here, how can anybody talk about Rock and not even know who Brian May is,? crying

Calm down people. Don't go overboard on someone just because they're not familiar with or don't know who Brian May is.

On the topic, it's cool to hear Brian is officially a part of the album. Although we suspected he had done some work for some time now anyways.

I refuse to calm down. He/she should be banned...? Grin

On a serious note, I honestly think that Queen is one of the first bands anyone needs to listen to, if they are really into rock music.

They were pioneers and Brian May was a big part of it, even though lots of people think that Queen was all about Freddie...

And I know that some will say that not all of their songs were THAT good, but when a band has written songs like Bohemian or Who Wants To Live Forever, they deserve R-E-S-P-E-C-T...

completely agree. You happen to have Innuendo? One of their best albums ever......they have made so so many great variable music. 

Guns N' Roses - Dessel (Graspop)- 24 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Rotterdam - 4 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Arnhem - 3 oktober 2010 - amazing!!!
Guns N' Roses - Nijmegen - 2 july 2006 - kickass!!!
anythinggoes
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2006, 07:51:53 AM »

dont forget I want to ride my Bycycle
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2006, 08:03:33 AM »

Who's Brian May?

Here here, how can anybody talk about Rock and not even know who Brian May is,  crying

I refuse to calm down. He/she should be banned...  Grin

completely agree. You happen to have Innuendo? One of their best albums ever......they have made so so many great variable music. 

Queen are on the same level with Guns N' Roses for me so I have most of their stuff.

Unfortunately I've never seen them live so I wish that they would come to Greece someday with PR. I know he's not Freddie, but he's also great so...

Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2006, 08:11:52 AM »

Well this news makes CITR more special for me.  I wonder if he has played on any other songs for CD?

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2006, 08:54:52 AM »

Man I still can't get over you people in denail about these being the final songs NOT repeat FUCKING NOT demo;s.

To the dude who posted in this thread "wow I can't imagine brian may being in on such early demo's I thought he would only be in on a final cut with full arrangement bla bla bla"

UMMM Dudes (and dudetes) this is the final arrangement.? The song rocks.? But for your own sanity (and lack of disappointment in the end) start to accept that these are NOT repeat FUCKING NOT demo's!

I think May's guitar and his admission it's him confirms that these ain't no demo's.

Well, not according to Merck...

So, let see...believe YOU or MERCK?

That's a toughie, but I'm gonna go with Merck.  Why, you might ask?  Because, given the fact the mixes are, without a doubt (go ask a sound engineer), not final, that most of the material is in "mono" rather than stereo, and the fact that there are some "bad notes" left in the mix...I think his statement is more credible.

Yours, on the other hand....not so much.

Also, something for the group to think about: Knowing this is May's guitar work, I think we can pretty safely date this demo now, too.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2006, 08:58:58 AM »

Most solo album are done as some sort of collaboration, and session players will write there own little riffs.

As for being demos, I.R.S sounds like one but Better definately sounds like a rough mix. I can't see Brian May flying in to record on a demo at all.

A demo can just be an early, unmixed, unpolished version of the song.  You can use, in the final version, all the same musical tracks you used in the demo, but either add production effects, change the mix, or about a hundred other things to those same tracks to make the song sound different than the demo.

Together again,
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2006, 08:59:11 AM »

Thats just great news Queen is my fave band and Brian Working with GNR my other fave band is just great news! The song hears awsome  ok

No man can be my equal
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2006, 09:33:30 AM »

Because, given the fact the mixes are, without a doubt (go ask a sound engineer), not final, that most of the material is in "mono" rather than stereo, and the fact that there are some "bad notes" left in the mix...I think his statement is more credible.
There's no "mono" demos. At least the ones out there. They are all stereo, even CITR. Wonder about the "bad notes" too...

But I agree with you. As I said before twice in this thread, there's evidences to prove it's just a demo. Also, the fact that May's guitar work is on this demo doesn't say anything, since it can be used on the final version aswell.

MR W,AXL ROSE
Welsh, and luvin' it
Legend

live,breathe eat GNR.

« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2006, 09:40:33 AM »

wow,i grew up with queen as my dad is their biggest fan and is often refered to as freddie.i was a big QUEEN fan when i was younger but i then went on to GNR.im still a big queen fan and albums like the miracle,innuendo,a kind of magic,the game and news of the world make it hard to not be.to hear MAY on a GNR song is great,lets hope hes on the final mix. beer

╔═╦╦╦═╦═╗ ╔═╗ ╔═╦═╦═╦═╦═╗
║║║║║║║╚╣ ║║║ ║═║║║╚╣═╣╚╣
╠╗║║║║╠╗║ ║║║ ║╚╣║╠╗║═╬╗║
╚═╩═╩╩╩═╝ ╚╩╝ ╚╩╩═╩═╩═╩═╝
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2006, 09:44:39 AM »

There's no doubt that all of these tracks are demos.  You can he the abrupt stops of pre-choruses going to choruses, Axls voice in the background (especially with CITR), the smoothness of transitions are not there.  The only song I might would consider a "final track" would be Better.

michaelvincent
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2006, 09:51:03 AM »

Yeah these are pre-production and production demos at best, ever "Better". No A&R guy in his right mind would let a band spend over 10 million dollars for the songs we've heard.
madagas
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2006, 09:53:17 AM »

Pilferk, you can date this to early 2000 to be exact because that is when he recorded. He was only there a week so you can get even more specific if you go back to the old articles/news. Cheesy
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2006, 10:01:08 AM »

Quote from: Axl Rose - A conversation with Kurt Loder
MTV US November 8th 1999
Loder: People that hear "Oh My God," they might say that, "Gee, the new Guns is all this sound," but I think that what you're saying is that it's a bunch of different kinds of sounds.

Rose: It's a lot of different sounds. There's some other really heavy songs, there's a lot of aggressive songs, but they're all in different styles and different sounds. It is truly a melting pot.

I go back to listening to Queen -- you know, we're still hoping to have Brian May come in and do some tracks, and I got a fax today that he's coming in -- Queen had all kinds of different-style songs on their records, and that's something that I like. 'Cause I do listen to a lot of things, and I really don't like being pigeonholed to that degree, and it's something that Guns N' Roses seem to share [with Queen] a bit. With "Appetite," even though it seems to have the same sound, if you really go back, you can pull all the little parts from different influences. That's not really the case by the time we're on "Use Your Illusion." People are kind of set in their ways. ["Chinese Democracy"] is coming from all over the place.

Quote from: What Happened To Axl Rose - Rolling Stone, May 11th 2000
In recent months, though, guitarist Robin Finck and drummer Josh Freese both left the project, as did computer engineer Billy Howerdel. Queen guitarist Brian May spent a week recording with Axl and returned to England. Avant guitarist Bckethead, known for wearing an upside-down Kentucky Fried Chicken bucket on his noggin, came on the scene. But as of now, it seems, there is no "new" GN'R.

so there it is, somewhere between November 8, 1999 and May 11, 2000 ok

Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2006, 10:08:52 AM »

Good to hear from Brian..Ive yet to hear this track but would like to

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
CAFC Nick
VIP

I don't know just what I should do...

« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2006, 10:13:46 AM »

Well now we know about the "Queen"-style arrangements...
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2006, 10:25:53 AM »

all these old tracks, such a shame these couldn't have been released so much sooner.. To think we could have had the cd tour well done, axl would have had less pressure since everything has no been so long that it'll be tough to justify any wait of this magnitude.. Second album would be here..
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2006, 10:29:34 AM »

There's no "mono" demos. At least the ones out there. They are all stereo, even CITR. Wonder about the "bad notes" too...

But I agree with you. As I said before twice in this thread, there's evidences to prove it's just a demo. Also, the fact that May's guitar work is on this demo doesn't say anything, since it can be used on the final version aswell.

They are encoded in stereo. ?The material itself, however, is not actually in stereo. ?By that, I mean there are no stereo effects whatsoever.

Open the demos up in soundforge.

I'm going from memory, but I think the only one with stereo effects seperated out is Better (and only at the very begining, if memory serves..I'll double check). ? The others, while "in stereo" have the same sounds coming from both speakers....thus, they're "mono".

As for "bad notes", there are a couple of sharps in both Better and IRS. ?TWAT has one. ?I haven't noticed any in CITR.

Better has stereo effects most notably at the begining and end...but seems to be througout (but not pronounced).  IRS and TWAT (at least my copies) are pretty much mirror image wave forms in soundforge.  Catcher also seems to have some stereo effects in the waveforms but it's hard to tell because one version is so "hissy" and the other has previously been "worked on" to clean it up (so I'm  not sure how much of the waveforms were modified in that process.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 12:17:58 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Millions
Headliner

It burns when I pee...

« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2006, 10:34:43 AM »

Look, everyone. There seems to be one thing you're all forgetting about this.

Why does a band who, at that time had 3 guitarists, need to get in Brian May?!?

What does this say about these 3 turkeys then? And what does it tell us that Axl thinks of them and their work?!?
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2006, 10:38:59 AM »

Look, everyone. There seems to be one thing you're all forgetting about this.

Why does a band who, at that time had 3 guitarists, need to get in Brian May?!?

What does this say about these 3 turkeys then? And what does it tell us that Axl thinks of them and their work?!?

Um...they didn't have 3 guitarists at the time CITR was made.

Bucket had not yet joined, and Robin had left to join NIN.

Together again,
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: