Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 04:28:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What's wrong with Sympathy For The Devil and/or The Spaghetti Incident?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's wrong with Sympathy For The Devil and/or The Spaghetti Incident?  (Read 14843 times)
W 23 AXL II
VIP

I like A minor more so than C major

« on: October 15, 2005, 03:28:32 PM »

first off, its MUCH better then the original, Stones version

but really, i think the song has energy and axl sounds great. the end is alittle messy, and the mix isn't great....there doesnt seem to be any LEAD guitar, but 2 or 3 semi-leads, if that makes sense. but i think the cover is really cool, why do people KILL IT?Huh
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 03:39:18 PM »

I like it, exept the end wich is too long and noisy. Maybe it's the mix. And maybe it was Paul Huge Tobias, the Yoko Ohno of GN'R.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 03:43:30 PM »

first off, its MUCH better then the original, Stones version

but really, i think the song has energy and axl sounds great. the end is alittle messy, and the mix isn't great....there doesnt seem to be any LEAD guitar, but 2 or 3 semi-leads, if that makes sense. but i think the cover is really cool, why do people KILL IT?Huh
maybe people kill it because it was the end of gnr..? I don't know.. I like the tune but I would have to say the original is better imo
fartinabag
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 03:48:16 PM »

I still think that the Stones version is much better. ?Probably my least favorite Gnr cover song, not including Spaghetti Incident tunes. ?I don't think the song is complete crap or anything.  The song just never did much for me.
W 23 AXL II
VIP

I like A minor more so than C major

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 03:48:55 PM »

and to add to the question, TSI? is pretty amazing too. Human Being is about as energetic as Paradise City, and Ain't it Fun sounds awesome!!! i dont get why people kill TSI? either.

and for trent, UYI's were awesome albums, the only "filler" would be My World, but who cares about that, its like a minute long, i took it more as a joke and cd-ender.
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 03:52:01 PM »

I liked Sympathy, but I think it was because it was relatively unknown when it came out.  I actually had to do some searching to find that single, and when I found it was I was real happy.  It was a tough find. 
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2005, 03:53:22 PM »

I liked Sympathy, but I think it was because it was relatively unknown when it came out.? I actually had to do some searching to find that single, and when I found it was I was real happy.? It was a tough find.?

wasn't a tough find if you were a gnr fan in 1994 or knew of sympathy for the devil... Song is played at the end of the movie
WAR41
VIP

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2005, 03:55:34 PM »

I liked Sympathy, but I think it was because it was relatively unknown when it came out.  I actually had to do some searching to find that single, and when I found it was I was real happy.  It was a tough find. 

wasn't a tough find if you were a gnr fan in 1994 or knew of sympathy for the devil... Song is played at the end of the movie

I was.... I was 13 and all the mainstream stores around me did not carry the single or the soundtrack.  I had to actually go out and actively search for it.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2005, 03:56:54 PM »

I liked Sympathy, but I think it was because it was relatively unknown when it came out.? I actually had to do some searching to find that single, and when I found it was I was real happy.? It was a tough find.?

I was.... I was 13 and all the mainstream stores around me did not carry the single or the soundtrack.? I had to actually go out and actively search for it.
really.. Shit I saw it in every local store(wiz)...  it was also played on rock radio,.. Not tons of airtime but enough to catch it in a few month period..
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2005, 03:57:56 PM »

First off, the original is much better than the GNR cover version. This is the most pointless GNR cover yet. It wasn't neccessary. When Axl was first approached about doing Sympathy, he flat out refused. He told them to just leave the Stones version in the movie. They should have took his advice. But they kept on until he finally did it. Was getting this song onto the movie worth all the shit that happened over it?

dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2005, 04:03:14 PM »

I like it, exept the end wich is too long and noisy. Maybe it's the mix. And maybe it was Paul Huge Tobias, the Yoko Ohno of GN'R.

I find that laughable that? you make this claim since most people, not saying you, never even knew paul was on the song until 5 years ago.? No one every complained about the song until it got more widely know Paul played on it.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 04:05:06 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2005, 04:05:04 PM »

First off, the original is much better than the GNR cover version. This is the most pointless GNR cover yet. It wasn't neccessary. When Axl was first approached about doing Sympathy, he flat out refused. He told them to just leave the Stones version in the movie. They should have took his advice. But they kept on until he finally did it. Was getting this song onto the movie worth all the shit that happened over it?

I actually like the GnR cover better than the Stones' original; there are tempo changes, axl's voice sounds both refined and demonic, and the dueling guitar solos nicely compliments the chaos at the end of the song. I always thought the Stones' version lacked that explosion, especially during the outro.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2005, 04:05:38 PM »

The best version is still janes addition though IMO.

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
kever20
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2005, 04:08:58 PM »

The originals are always the best. I can't think of any covers at the moment that were beter than the original. I'm not saying that GNR did a bad job, it just isn't as good as the original. I didn't even know J's A did the song....

/Kevin Miller

Convicted for murder,
The bastards run free
Out on parole, out on the prowl
Freed on the bail paid by the thief
Justice supreme, the liars all ream
WAR41
VIP

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2005, 04:15:09 PM »

I find that laughable that  you make this claim since most people, not saying you, never even knew paul was on the song until 5 years ago.  No one every complained about the song until it got more widely know Paul played on it.

Huh Do you have specific evidence supporting this?  This is the first I have heard of this claim. 
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2005, 04:19:21 PM »

I find that laughable that? you make this claim since most people, not saying you, never even knew paul was on the song until 5 years ago.? No one every complained about the song until it got more widely know Paul played on it.

Huh Do you have specific evidence supporting this?? This is the first I have heard of this claim.?
you can read old metal edge magazines and read that childhood friend paul huge was around..
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2005, 04:22:51 PM »

Huh Do you have specific evidence supporting this?? This is the first I have heard of this claim.?

Until Paul started playing with the new gnr at hob, rio and the other few shows no one ever bitched how paul sucked or his parts on SFTD sucked. I have been here and the other gnr boards since the gnronline days and never until 5 years ago did people say his parts on SFTD sucked.

Also its one thing knowing his name paul huge, but its another to know who he really was. Sure we always heard the name around but no one ever complained about his playing on that track.

DemocracyRose
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2005, 04:30:29 PM »

Axl sounds fucking great om SFD...

I dont hear a band breaking up...

Im glad that GNR did that song.... peace
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2005, 04:42:20 PM »

I actually like the GnR cover better than the Stones' original; there are tempo changes, axl's voice sounds both refined and demonic, and the dueling guitar solos nicely compliments the chaos at the end of the song. I always thought the Stones' version lacked that explosion, especially during the outro.
Agreed 100%. I love the dueling guitar solos, I think its really cool. In fact, I think Paul did an awesome job, putting some modern sounds to the song (even if the mix was really lazy).

Sillything
VIP

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2005, 05:06:39 PM »

Really good song and much better than the stone drool

Stockholm 1991, 1993, 1995 (Slash), 2006,2015 (Slash), 2017
Roskilde: 2006
Helsinki 2010
Prague: 2010, 2017,2022
Milano: 2012
Aarhus: 2016 (Ac/Dc),
Berlin: 2018
Tallin: 2018