Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2024, 08:54:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228100 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Kinda funny Axl story
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kinda funny Axl story  (Read 3301 times)
ckniker
Opening Act

Here Today...

« on: March 04, 2006, 01:09:22 AM »

Okay, this is my first post here after lurking for a few months.  I was talking to a friend of mine who lives in L.A. the other night and told him that it looks like the new GNR album was coming out soon.  He proceeded to tell me his story about an experience with Axl. 

It goes something like this.  A few years back my friend created an animated series titled "The Slim Shady Show" after he did a movie for Dreamworks (Lion's Gate later picked it up) called Lil' Pimp.  Anyway, The Slim Shady Show was a big success and many Hollywood types started contacting him to create a cartoon based on themselves.  Axl was one of the people that was interested.  Axl's manager contacted my friend on various occasions and informed him of Axl's interest.  It got to the point of wanting to arrange a meeting between Axl and my friend because Axl's manager (Merck I assume) said, "We can't just do this deal yet.  Axl is very particular and has to meet you first before we can do anything.  I will call you next week to let you know what date and time we will be meeting." 

So about a week or so goes by and my friend gets a call for said manager, "Axl wants to meet with you on Christmas Eve.  Here is the address of where we will meet (it turned out to be a recording studio).  Make sure you are on time because Axl is very funny about people being punctual.  I will call on Christmas Eve and give you the time we will meet you'll have 30 minutes to get to the location." 

Fast forward to Christmas Eve my friend is very anxious for the meeting and he's waiting by his phone all day...nothing.  He spends his evening pacing his house and still nothing.  He waits late into the night and at midnight figures they're not going to call.  At this point he is quite irate and just goes to bed.  In the middle of the night around 3:00 a.m. his phone rings.  My friend answers and is informed Axl is ready to meet him.  He gets to the studio by 3:30 a.m.  Some huge Lurchesque guy answers the door to the studio and tells him to wait in the lobby.  My friend sits down in a chair and looks around.  The table in front of him has thousands of dollars in cash piled up just sitting out on it.  This strikes him as odd but he just kind of blows it off.  He spends the next hour or so browsing magazines and from time to time he can kind of hear people talking in the next room over but can't make out what is being said.  Nobody comes out.  Finally Axl's manager emerges with the following statement, "Axl doesn't want to see you.  He says he has a funny feeling about you and he wants you to leave.  Now.  He's not interested anymore.  Thanks for your time."

I thought this story was hilarious.  I can't wait for Chinese Democracy to come out.  I live in Denver and had tickets to the New Mexico show for their 2002 tour.  The show never happened and I figured at that point that "CD" was more like the holy grail of albums.  I mean this in the sense that it is something rumored to exist but nothing that anyone has ever seen for themselves.  This is a pretty exciting time especially when you take into account how lousy the caliber of music being released is today.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 01:14:26 AM »

Dude, that totally sucks.
ckniker
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 01:18:00 AM »

Yeah, but I still laughed my butt off when he told me the story.  I mean its not far fetched given some of Axl's rumored personality quirks.  Axl was like Scrooge in his recording studio on Christmas Eve.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 01:21:52 AM »

Haha, no its not, unfortunately.  I can totally picture this happening.  i feel bad for your friend
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 01:22:03 AM »

Yeah, but I still laughed my butt off when he told me the story.? I mean its not far fetched given some of Axl's rumored personality quirks.? Axl was like Scrooge in his recording studio on Christmas Eve.

What's the mission? ?Workin for RCA? Or, are you just believing a misleading friend?  I don't, and it does not sound like something Merck would do, or Axl.  I think Axl like's to look for special sauces in his refrig. on Christmas Eve Wink
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 01:25:05 AM by Minneapolisnewsman » Logged
Poof!
Rocker

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 01:22:32 AM »

Make sure you are on time because Axl is very funny about people being punctual.

Doesn't really sound like Axl, does it? ?Grin
ckniker
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 01:25:24 AM »

Make sure you are on time because Axl is very funny about people being punctual.

Doesn't really sound like Axl, does it? ?Grin

Hmmm, do as I say not as I do?
McDuff
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 01:29:08 AM »

the story is probably crap,who knows no one really know how Axl's mind works peace
Ax
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2006, 02:08:40 AM »

"Make sure you are on time because Axl is very funny about people being punctual.  I will call on Christmas Eve and give you the time we will meet you'll have 30 minutes to get to the location." 

That part made me laugh because of Axl's way with showing up on time himself. And the "you'll have 30 mintues to get to the location" sounds like the way some super villian in a movie would plan a meeting. True or not, that did make me laugh if for no other reason than that as strange as it sounds, I could totally see Axl doing something like that.
jimb0
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2006, 02:57:19 AM »

If that was true it would suck.  The crazy thing is I think every one can totally see axl doing that.
ckniker
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2006, 02:57:58 AM »

"Make sure you are on time because Axl is very funny about people being punctual.? I will call on Christmas Eve and give you the time we will meet you'll have 30 minutes to get to the location."?

That part made me laugh because of Axl's way with showing up on time himself. And the "you'll have 30 mintues to get to the location" sounds like the way some super villian in a movie would plan a meeting. True or not, that did make me laugh if for no other reason than that as strange as it sounds, I could totally see Axl doing something like that.

I can assure you that if my friend told me this it is more than likely true. ?He is not the type of person to just make something up. ?I have known him for almost 12 years and we are so close that he stood at my wedding.  At the time he was extremely angry at the situation.  Now after a few years have passed he's able to joke about it if for no other reason than how surreal the situation was.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 03:01:14 AM by ckniker » Logged
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2006, 03:10:25 AM »

I wonder what all that pile of money was all about.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
bookiedude
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2006, 03:23:23 AM »

I don't care what anyone says this story is stupid and fake.
SADIS
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2006, 03:26:32 AM »

Isn't there the slightest possibility that your friend was just being made fun of? Taken the piss at?

I don't really buy this story. Axl is weird in some ways, but I don't ever think he would do something weird like this. Especially all the money and stuff.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2006, 03:28:00 AM »

This story is bullshit.  It sounds semi-realistic, except given everything I've ever heard about the man, Axl wouldn't want a show, cartoon or otherwise, made about his personal life
elevendayempire
Rocker

...Now I know you better...

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2006, 03:37:15 AM »

So from this we can deduce that your friend is Mark Brooks, then? Way to go on maintaining his anonymity there. Smiley

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1033955/

SG
ckniker
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2006, 03:38:58 AM »

I don't care what anyone says this story is stupid and fake.

The friend I am speaking of is named Mark Brooks. ?Check everything I wrote about him. ?He did create a movie named Lil' Pimp which was released by Lion's Gate (which is hilarious by the way). ?He did create The Slim Shady Show. ?He does work on Adult Swim. ?He was a founding member of The Warlock Pinchers and later Foreskin 500 (which was how I met him). ?He has had albums released by Boner Records (The Melvins first label) and Priority Records (NWA, Ice Cube, Ice T). ?He also has a solo project called Le Pimp that has had material released on Astralwerks. ?In 1996 he was named one of GQ magazine's men of the year due to his animation work. ?Why would he make this up? ?He has nothing to gain by telling me this story when I mentioned to him that it looked like Guns N Roses would be releasing a new album. ?We are very good friends. ?He wouldn't lie to me about some story. ?I figured I'd post the story here because I thought it was kind of interesting and funny. ?However, I guess this board doesn't take kindly to a fellow GNR fan posting something other than the same tired 5-10 topics re-hashed over and over. ?So with that said I guess its back to lurking for me.
Kaybee
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2006, 03:42:25 AM »

If it's true, LOL.
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2006, 04:25:00 AM »

This story is bullshit.  It sounds semi-realistic, except given everything I've ever heard about the man, Axl wouldn't want a show, cartoon or otherwise, made about his personal life

you don`t seem to remember the rir3 intro.....

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
mick
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2006, 07:20:01 AM »

you don`t seem to remember the rir3 intro.....

Good call... that was probably what they wanted made, guess they had someone else do it. I think that cartoon intro was also used at the Vegas shows wasn't it?

I say the story is legit..

Oh, your sig is priceless... gotta hand it to Axl at least he can make fun of himself Smiley
 beer
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: