Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2024, 12:26:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228144 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Mark Chapman (catcher in the Rye)
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mark Chapman (catcher in the Rye)  (Read 5764 times)
scawl18
Opening Act

Here Today...

« on: March 03, 2006, 02:38:42 PM »

Fascinating read

http://www.crimelibrary.com/classics4/chapman/

CITR lyric
"All at once this song i heard"

Chapman heard over and over in his head "DO IT, DO IT, DO IT" right before shooting lennon 5x's.

"On an Ordinary Day"? Chapman went and saw the movie "Ordinary people" while staking Lennon out.

WOuld sign his name "The Catcher in the Rye"

"Then this morning I went to the bookstore and bought The Catcher in the Rye. I?m sure the large part of me is Holden Caulfield, who is the main person in the book. The small part of me must be the Devil. "

Portion of Statement of Mark David Chapman to police at 1 a.m., Dec. 9, 1980, three hours after the murder of John Lennon.

Slow work day...thought i would just look into song a little..

« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 02:51:32 PM by scawl18 » Logged
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 02:41:15 PM »

and the son of sam had his dog telling him to do it..
AxlFink
VIP

thelesserkings.com

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 02:43:28 PM »

is that what citr is about
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 02:44:42 PM »

is that what citr is about

yes it is, chapman shooting lenon
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 02:46:17 PM »

Crime Library is a great site...very in depth.  Some really sick bastards/bitches out there though.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 02:48:16 PM »

Crime Library is a great site...very in depth.? Some really sick bastards/bitches out there though.

Damn right, someone like scott peterson kills and then women are throwing themselves at him, they want marriage sex his child.. Fucking nutty fucks, almost as bad as a gnr fan community Kiss
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 02:52:07 PM »

I really can't begin to comprehend what this must have been like though...how big of a news story this must have been.  My generation has Cobain, but he can't even hold a candle to Lennon.  And that was a suicide, not a senseless murder.  The Beatles were/are still one of the most popular/famous bands in the ENTIRE world.....just blows my mind.

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 02:53:59 PM »

I really can't begin to comprehend what this must have been like though...how big of a news story this must have been.? My generation has Cobain, but he can't even hold a candle to Lennon.? And that was a suicide, not a senseless murder.? The Beatles were/are still one of the most popular/famous bands in the ENTIRE world.....just blows my mind.

Cobain was the dumbest fucking thing, I was just about out of HS when that happened... I remember mtv had suicide hotlines going say not to kill yourself because kurt did.... I was like please!
shaun
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2006, 02:56:19 PM »

And there?s something else I want to say. I feel that I see John Lennon now not as a celebrity. I did then. I saw him as a cardboard cutout on an album cover.

That's how i've always viewed Axl, as a carboard cutout  hihi
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2006, 02:59:43 PM »

I really can't begin to comprehend what this must have been like though...how big of a news story this must have been.? My generation has Cobain, but he can't even hold a candle to Lennon.? And that was a suicide, not a senseless murder.? The Beatles were/are still one of the most popular/famous bands in the ENTIRE world.....just blows my mind.
It was huge. Although I was only 5 when Lennon was murdered, my mom used to talk about it. I was watching ESPN a couple of weeks ago, and they were talking about Howard Cosell, and showing various highlights of his career. He was a big Lennon fan, and Lennon had appeared on Monday Night Football with him previously. They showed footage of MNF the night Lennon was killed, and when Cosell has to tell the audience that Lennon has been killed, you can tell he is forcing himself to hold back his tears. Very emotional.

nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2006, 02:59:52 PM »

did Axl say citr was about lennon's assination?  when did he say that?

"This isn't McDonald's or Burger King - it isn't 'Have it your way.'"
- Axl Rose, as cited by Del James
scawl18
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2006, 03:00:08 PM »

Just a statement like "Chapman is an asshole" "wanted to be famous" is just way to simplistic.

Yes he was nuts...but tortured.

And I think this is a tribute to Lennon.  I remember the day he was shot.  I was 5 years old and I can remember standing right next to the Piano in our house...i can remember my parents talking about it...and my oldest sister crying.

My next door neighbor was like 13 and I remember just watching his face as he was crying....just thinking why is he crying?

And hearing this song made me think about all that stuff...will make a lot of people remember that day a 1/4 of a century ago.  What more of a tribute is there than that?
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2006, 03:00:17 PM »

Cobain was the dumbest fucking thing, I was just about out of HS when that happened... I remember mtv had suicide hotlines going say not to kill yourself because kurt did.... I was like please!

Yeah, they really went over the top with that one. ?But what do you expect from MTV. ?Like I said, the reaction to his death pales in comparison to Lennons - to this day people still leave flowers at strawberry fields and the Dakota on the day of his death. ?

Scawl, thats a crazy memory - like I said I just can't imagine the shock waves that must have sent throughout the world...young and old, people on diff continents, speaking diff languages...everyone must have just been floored.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 03:03:49 PM by HannaHat » Logged

shaun
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2006, 03:06:18 PM »

Just a statement like "Chapman is an asshole" "wanted to be famous" is just way to simplistic.

Yes he was nuts...but tortured.

And I think this is a tribute to Lennon.  I remember the day he was shot.  I was 5 years old and I can remember standing right next to the Piano in our house...i can remember my parents talking about it...and my oldest sister crying.

My next door neighbor was like 13 and I remember just watching his face as he was crying....just thinking why is he crying?

And hearing this song made me think about all that stuff...will make a lot of people remember that day a 1/4 of a century ago.  What more of a tribute is there than that?

I never recall any real fuss over Lennon being shot, maybe my head space was else where at the time, although i do remember the atmosphere in the house when the news announced Elvis had been found dead, although i was to young to really take it in. The news announcing Kurt Cobain having shot himself dead kinda hit me, i thought, oh no, that can't be. Then at a selfish level i was kinda thiking, no more Nirvana songs  Undecided
scawl18
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2006, 03:06:35 PM »

In the next few days, a teen-age girl in Florida and a man of 30 in Utah killed themselves, leaving notes telling of depression over Lennon's death.

Another confused, suicidal young man was among those at the tribute in New York. Three weeks later, he confided his thoughts to a tape recorder.

"I just want to say goodbye to the old year, which was nothing total misery, total death," he said. "John Lennon is dead, the world is over, forget it.

"Anything I might do in 1981 would be solely for Jodie Foster's sake. Just tell the world in some way that I worship and idolize her.''

The world would hear of John Hinckley three months later.
CAFC Nick
VIP

I don't know just what I should do...

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2006, 03:15:08 PM »

Well basically the Catcher in the Rye was the book left at the scene of the Lennon shooting by Mark David Chapman...I take it thats what the song is about or it could actually be in reference to the book and not the infamous shooting.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2006, 03:15:12 PM »

In the next few days, a teen-age girl in Florida and a man of 30 in Utah killed themselves, leaving notes telling of depression over Lennon's death.

Another confused, suicidal young man was among those at the tribute in New York. Three weeks later, he confided his thoughts to a tape recorder.

"I just want to say goodbye to the old year, which was nothing total misery, total death," he said. "John Lennon is dead, the world is over, forget it.

"Anything I might do in 1981 would be solely for Jodie Foster's sake. Just tell the world in some way that I worship and idolize her.''

The world would hear of John Hinckley three months later.

Thats f'ing trippy/spooky.

scawl18
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2006, 03:17:50 PM »

oh no.

I have something in common....Mark Chapman gave his wife a copy of catcher in the rye..and would read it to her, and made her read it.

I do the same thing with GNR song leaks Grin
scawl18
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2006, 03:21:38 PM »

Great book.
I read it 15 years ago...it is very short book.

Might read it again.

I just remember that i got goose bumps when i read the part when Holden wants to catch kids in the rye...to be the catcher in the rye.
nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2006, 03:25:10 PM »

yea I've read it, I didn't care much for it.  i really got bored with the plot about half way through, and the ending didn't really work for me.

"This isn't McDonald's or Burger King - it isn't 'Have it your way.'"
- Axl Rose, as cited by Del James
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: