Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 07:34:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Sorry if this is a dumb question: Q About CITR
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sorry if this is a dumb question: Q About CITR  (Read 4569 times)
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2006, 01:18:26 AM »

You can't copyright a title to a song..
Its not a song. Its a book written by a very strange person that secured all rights to it many years ago.

The book and its content, but not the title.

If I wanted to write a book about a baseball catcher and rye bread called "Catcher in the Rye", there's nothing stopping me.

Right its like saying Axl cant use the song title madagascar because there is a movie by the same name.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
McDuff
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2006, 01:21:02 AM »

You can't copyright a title to a song..
Its not a song. Its a book written by a very strange person that secured all rights to it many years ago.

The book and its content, but not the title.

If I wanted to write a book about a baseball catcher and rye bread called "Catcher in the Rye", there's nothing stopping me.

Yeah,I guess that's right,but I would never read a book a baseball catcher or rye bread,I dunno,I do read some strange books these days hihi
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2006, 01:21:18 AM »

You cant copyright titles.
I'm pretty sure you can. Especially considering the fact that copyright laws were slightly different back then.
Try it. Let us know the outcome.

dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2006, 01:28:45 AM »

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-protect.html

What does copyright protect?
Copyright, a form of intellectual property law, protects original works of authorship including literary, dramatic, musical, and artistic works, such as poetry, novels, movies, songs, computer software, and architecture. Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section "What Works Are Protected."

How do I copyright a name, title, slogan or logo?
Copyright does not protect names, titles, slogans, or short phrases. In some cases, these things may be protected as trademarks.

That 2nd one applies to CITR, its a title and a short phrase, which it states is not protected.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 01:30:16 AM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2006, 01:30:30 AM »

In some cases, these things may be protected as trademarks.
There's the answer.

dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2006, 01:32:55 AM »

There's the answer.

CITR is not trade marked. Coke is a trade mark. CITR is not traded marked since its a book title. You cannot trade mark book titles or album titles. Why do you think people could use Chin Dem for an album title if Axl was already using it?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 01:34:26 AM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

DunkinDave
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2006, 01:34:14 AM »

There's the answer.

No, that's referring to something like "Disney".

You don't see any book with "Disney" in the title without "this is not endorsed by Disney" clearly after it.

It has to do with brand protection, as in if I wrote a book with Disney in the title, that might falsely appear to consumers as something produced by Disney.

If Salinger would have trademarked "Catcher in The Rye" as a phrase, you wouldn't see it used in the titles of thousands of books that critique and summarize it.

edit: beaten by dave
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2006, 01:40:35 AM »

There's the answer.

CITR is not trade marked. Coke is a trade mark. CITR is not traded marked since its a book title. You cannot trade mark book titles or album titles. Why do you think people could use Chin Dem for an album title if Axl was already using it?
As I stated earlier in the thread, copyright laws were slightly different years ago. IF Salinger copyrighted the title itself, that copyright could not be taken away because of laws put into place after the copyright laws were later changed. If it werent protected, it would have been used by now. Either as a movie title, title of a play, by an amateur author looking for attention, a song title,etc. Many decades since its release, it has not been used yet. There is a reason for that. Obvious to me, but apparently not to you guys. Tomorrow morning after my doctor's appointment I will do a little research on Salinger, and see if I can find stuff related to this.

jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2006, 01:42:41 AM »

Then again they could always list the song as CITR.

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
axlsalinger
Rocker

All I got, is precious time...

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2006, 01:46:27 AM »

I suppose this is an interesting question. In this case, I really don't think Salinger could stop GNR from using "Catcher in the Rye" as the title of a song, but I suppose it is possible.

I am pretty certain that Salinger would not give permission to use it, if his approval was required.

When all is said and done,
We're not the only ones,
Who look at life this way
awolgnr
Headliner

Don't you think that you need somebody?

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2006, 01:47:03 AM »

The song may have to be renamed if it makes the official album. ?They Might Be Giants wrote a song called Nyquil Driver which they had to rename AKA Driver for their cd because the name Nyquil was a trademark. ?They did not have to change the lyrics however, because that falls under freedom of speech. ?The title is a printed word on the cd jacket, and is therefore not protected. ?Weird loophole in the law! ?The same could hold true here. Axl can sing it, but it can't be printed as the title. ?A couple years ago, either Brian May or Marco Beltrami referred to CITR as simply "Catcher". ?I assumed they were just shortening the title for convenience, but maybe that has become the official title.

I've been where I have been and I've seen what I have seen...
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2006, 01:59:08 AM »

I am pretty certain that Salinger would not give permission to use it, if his approval was required.
I agree.
Axl can sing it, but it can't be printed as the title.  A couple years ago, either Brian May or Marco Beltrami referred to CITR as simply "Catcher".  I assumed they were just shortening the title for convenience, but maybe that has become the official title.
Thanks for bringing that up. I didnt remember them shortening the title when mentioning it. That might be how this issue has to be dealt with. Another way Axl could do it is change the name to just about anything, have it be a hidden track on the album, and dont list the title or the lyrics on the album. ok

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2006, 02:06:19 AM »

A couple years ago, either Brian May or Marco Beltrami referred to CITR as simply "Catcher".  I assumed they were just shortening the title for convenience, but maybe that has become the official title.
Brian May said clearly "Catcher In The Rye" in his blog yesterday, when he confirmed his solos on the track.

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2006, 02:09:37 AM »

Brian May said clearly "Catcher In The Rye" in his blog yesterday, when he confirmed his solos on the track.
Maybe he is like most people here and doesnt realize there are potential copyright issues involved. Only one way to find out.....

phone  Mysteron? hihi

jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2006, 02:49:44 AM »

oh that was good, too funny!!!! lol

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
Olorin
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2006, 05:50:46 AM »

Didnt Enid Blyton have a book or story with that title also? Dont think its copyrighted.
godiva
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2006, 05:57:06 AM »

Enid Blyton? What would that book be about? Lennon gets killed in boarding school?  hihi

Axl was in NY to work out some copyright stuff for Maddy (those quotes), so I guess he would have worked on CITR as well, sorting it all out legally. Don't think he is that dumb to just release something that could get him into another lawsuit. Management probably pointed it out to him as well. My guess is that it would be no problem to release a song with that title, or else Axl will change the title.
Olorin
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2006, 06:00:51 AM »

hihi

I was thinking of something else, when I went to look it was buggar all like catcher in the rye drool
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2006, 06:06:34 AM »

would be a shame if such an amazing song is never released because of a title no
I agree. If Axl cant get the rights, the next time there is a Tsunami, hurricane, terrorist attack,etc., Axl should offer the track for some charity/benefit album, and maybe Salinger would let loose with the title under those sets of circumstances.

yeah, let's hope there's a Tsunami, or a hurricane or a terrorist attack.

Roll Eyes

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2006, 06:49:27 AM »

Axl was in NY to work out some copyright stuff for Maddy (those quotes), so I guess he would have worked on CITR as well, sorting it all out legally.
This is not a fact, it was just rumour. Also, I guess it's not his job to do that, he have Merck and lawyers.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: