Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 09:31:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Sorry if this is a dumb question: Q About CITR
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sorry if this is a dumb question: Q About CITR  (Read 4602 times)
manny
Headliner

Here Today...

« on: March 02, 2006, 11:09:35 PM »

Can Axl actually release the song titled as "Catcher in the Rye" withou J.D Salinger's permission? I had read a long time ago that Mr. Salinger does not allow his work to be used in film. I know this is different ,but does Axl need his permission? Also reading a bio of Salinger, it makes me think that he and Axl are a lot alike. Like Axl his early work became massively successful, which in turn made him weary of attention. Like Axl he became a recluse. And most intrestingly, there was a book he wrote titled "Hapworth 16, 1924" which was scheduled to be released in 1997. It caused a lot of hype; which in turn caused the date to be pushed back, and they're still waiting Salinger to give it to the publishing company.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 11:15:34 PM by manny » Logged
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 11:32:50 PM »

I've heard that Salinger owns all rights to 'Catcher in the Rye', including the title. This might give legitimacy to the rumour that this song wont be on CD, because Axl knows it will be like pulling teeth to get the rights to the name. To be honest, this song might never be released.

manny
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 11:38:39 PM »

I've heard that Salinger owns all rights to 'Catcher in the Rye', including the title. This might give legitimacy to the rumour that this song wont be on CD, because Axl knows it will be like pulling teeth to get the rights to the name. To be honest, this song might never be released.

Didn't somone say that he was recently in new work trying to get some copyrighted stuff taked care of (premission to use). I believe the poster said it was for the MLK quotes, but I don't remember if everyone just assumed it or if it could have been for this.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 11:42:52 PM »

Didn't somone say that he was recently in new work trying to get some copyrighted stuff taked care of (premission to use). I believe the poster said it was for the MLK quotes, but I don't remember if everyone just assumed it or if it could have been for this.
Yeah. he is supposedly working on that. But I highly doubt he is successfull getting rights for this one. Only small chance he has is if Salinger is a GNR forum post whore and loves this song. He has swore to never let CITR be used, and he stuck to that all these years.

Eclipsed107
VIP

Fucked over in Philly - 12/06/02

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 11:43:51 PM »

If worse comes to worse I'm sure Axl would just change the title.

I'm pretty sure you're allowd to sing the words 'catcher in the rye' - you can't copyright speach.. but useing it as a title might be different. 

If I said you had a beautiful body, would you take your pants off and dance around a little?
speed_stone
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 11:44:50 PM »

Yeah. he is supposedly working on that. But I highly doubt he is successfull getting rights for this one. Only small chance he has is if Salinger is a GNR forum post whore and loves this song. He has swore to never let CITR be used, and he stuck to that all these years.

would be a shame if such an amazing song is never released because of a title no
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 12:24:27 AM »

would be a shame if such an amazing song is never released because of a title no
I agree. If Axl cant get the rights, the next time there is a Tsunami, hurricane, terrorist attack,etc., Axl should offer the track for some charity/benefit album, and maybe Salinger would let loose with the title under those sets of circumstances.

manny
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 12:27:54 AM »

I don't really think the lyrics to this song would go with any of the circumstances you've mentioned. Perhaps his best bet would be if Slinger was a Beatles fan.
jimb0
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2006, 12:28:47 AM »

I'd call it Makes me wish I had a Gun, Nah, I've really grown to the name.  He could put it on as a bonus track that way its not listed officially.   Smiley  That would work if he never mentions the title or the lyrcis. 
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2006, 12:52:19 AM »

I don't really think the lyrics to this song would go with any of the circumstances you've mentioned.
I never said they did. I just said it would be an easier way to pry the rights to the name from Salinger.

GunsN'Gravy
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2006, 12:56:39 AM »

Why not call it "The Catcher" Or "In the Rye".
Or "leaked song #4"

Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature
McDuff
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2006, 01:01:04 AM »

If Axl can't get the permission to use the title Catcher In The Rye I think he'll just use another title,I mean if he likes the songs and if he wants it on the album it would make sense to just use a different title. beer
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2006, 01:03:28 AM »

Why not call it "The Catcher" Or "In the Rye".
Or "leaked song #4"
Not a bad idea. If this gag order is ever lifted, someone should ask Richard, Dizzy, or Tommy about the status of this song.

DunkinDave
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2006, 01:03:58 AM »

I don't think the copyright for a book title applies to a song title of the same name.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2006, 01:07:46 AM »

I don't think the copyright for a book title applies to a song title of the same name.
I'm pretty sure Salinger has all rights to the name. Dont you think the name would have been used for something after all these years if it wasnt?

Crashdiet
Banned
VIP

'Absolutely'

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2006, 01:09:43 AM »

You can't copyright a title to a song... I'm not sure about a book though... but since it is a song with a book title I'm confused nervous BUT I think it would be okay. THere are many song titles, albums titles, and movie titles that are the same.... My bet is that is would be legal to release the song without permission ok

Check out www.myspace.com/ashjonesmusic
Its me and my songs

Saskatoon, Sask Place March 16 1993

New York, Hammerstein Ballroom
May 12, 14, 15, 17
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2006, 01:11:05 AM »

The Snatcher in the Pie?

what?  no
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2006, 01:13:41 AM »

You can't copyright a title to a song..
Its not a song. Its a book written by a very strange person that secured all rights to it many years ago.
My bet is that is would be legal to release the song without permission ok
Lets hope Axl thinks it through a little more before placing your bet. ok

dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2006, 01:14:35 AM »

You cant copyright titles.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
DunkinDave
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2006, 01:17:17 AM »

You can't copyright a title to a song..
Its not a song. Its a book written by a very strange person that secured all rights to it many years ago.

The book and its content, but not the title.

If I wanted to write a book about a baseball catcher and rye bread called "Catcher in the Rye", there's nothing stopping me.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: