Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2024, 03:42:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228156 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Leaked Guns N' Roses songs reviewed, By DARRYL STERDAN - Winnipeg Sun
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Leaked Guns N' Roses songs reviewed, By DARRYL STERDAN - Winnipeg Sun  (Read 6089 times)
Saboteur Cyb. Punk
Banned
Rocker

Buckethead unmasked!!!

« on: March 02, 2006, 07:31:57 AM »

Normally, we wouldn't do this. And by "this," of course, we mean "voluntarily listen to Guns N' Roses."

Kidding. Kidding. We like GN'R as much as the next dude. At least, we used to. Or we think we did. It's kind of hard to remember at this point. After all, it's been a while since we've heard from our old pal Axl Rose.

Since the band ground to a halt following 1993's covers EP The Spaghetti Incident?, the Gunners -- which now seems to consist of Axl and random musicians drawn by some sort of lottery scheme -- have put out a total of two songs: A pointless cover of Sympathy for the Devil on the Interview With a Vampire soundtrack in 1994, and the industrial-flavoured Oh My God on the End of Days soundtrack in 1999. Speaking of End of Days, that's about when we expected to hear Chinese Democracy, the album Rose has supposedly been making, and remaking, and re-remaking, for about a decade.

But that all changed last week. Because last week, three -- count 'em, three -- new GN'R tracks surfaced on the Internet. Which brings us to the thing we wouldn't normally do. Normally, we wouldn't review unauthorized tracks from the Net. It doesn't seem fair to the artists to critique work that might be half-finished or never intended for release. It doesn't seem fair to readers to write about music they can't buy. And it doesn't seem kosher to encourage illegal file-sharing by publicizing illegal tracks.

But three new GN'R songs in one week? That's hardly normal. That's the musical equivalent of Howard Hughes, Greta Garbo and J.D. Salinger throwing a surprise party for Bigfoot. We figure we can make an exception in this case. So we tracked down the songs -- actually, we got somebody way more net-savvy than us to track them down -- and gave them a spin. Here's what we heard. And remember, kids, don't try this at home.

IRS | 4:16

Like all three tunes, this number is a far cry from the Sunset Strip sleaze of Guns' glory days. In fact, the jangly guitar chords and weepy slide notes that usher us into IRS sound more like Zep's Rain Song -- and Axl quietly moaning like somebody squeezed his lemon does nothing to dispel that notion. Soon, though, a squiggly electronic drum loop does. And once the live drums and a chunky, phased power chord riff kick in, we're on more familiar turf. The bulk of the song alternates between the two parts, with Rose -- whose voice hasn't changed much over the years -- alternately whining and shrieking about how some woman done him wrong. The mix is rough, but the pyrotechnic solo and oddball, jazzy guitar chords sound like Buckethead to our ears.

Decipherable Lyrics: "Gonna call the president, gonna call a private eye, gonna need the IRS, gonna get the FBI." Why? Is he finally wondering where his career went?

There Was a Time | 6:43

A funky hip-hop loop sets the groove, while a plunky piano melody and ominous strings create a horror-soundtrack vibe. Axl's voice comes in distorted -- though that could be the mix -- kvetching about drugs and betrayal and, yes, how some woman done him wrong (which would explain the song's misogynist acronym). Anyway, as Axl works himself into a lather, twin guitars gnash away as the cut ebbs, flows and gradually builds to a grand crescendo a la November Rain. Then it ends with a nice solid wallop. The most fully realized song of the trio.

Decipherable Lyrics: "I was the one who gave you everything -- the one who took the fall. You were the one who would do anything."

Better | 2:06

We found two incomplete versions of this number -- but both were long enough to get the idea. What sounds like a heavily treated guitar chimes away in the right channel. A scratchy lick sets up shop in the left channel. Rose comes up the middle, crooning a sing-songy lyric that's almost a lullaby. The wakeup call comes 30 seconds in, when the grinding guitar chords and midtempo beat arrive. The verses -- with Axl bitching about (all together now) a woman who done him wrong -- rock solidly, and the wah-wah-laced chorus works, but the offbeat bridge kills the momentum. Still, it's the rockiest of these tunes.

Decipherable Lyrics: "Replay the part, you stole my heart, I should have known you're crazy."

Final Verdict: Not bad -- but not worth waiting a decade for. If it were anyone else, we might suggest heading back to the drawing board. But with Rose, who knows if we'd ever hear from him again?

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2006/03/02/1468954.html

I Mean Acid / Do Ya Like It ?
duga
VIP

If you're not a rock star - at least act like one

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 07:46:36 AM »

Fun reading  Grin

Stockholm 2006, Oslo 2010, Maryland 2016, Stockholm 2017, Gothenburg 2018

Power to the people, peace out and blame Canada
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 07:53:35 AM »

I enjoy reading anyone's opinions outside of the new gnr rcommunity..  Too bad they didn't have the entire version of better, it's so different then the 206
SonofAGun
Rocker

Original fan Circa 87, Shaq and Roses?

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 08:01:37 AM »

We should send him the full clip.

Just kidding!
anythinggoes
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 08:03:42 AM »

posted in the media section this morning  hihi

shame they didnt get hold of Catcher in the Rye
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 08:05:37 AM »

Final Verdict: Not bad -- but not worth waiting a decade for.

I think that's the conclusion wich most of the non gnr fan/journalists will come to Undecided
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 08:08:26 AM »

I think that's the conclusion wich most of the non gnr fan/journalists will come to Undecided

honestly these people review albums or singles, they are busy people, they don't plop their asses down and give these songs six billion listens to have them warm up to them or grow on them like the new gnr fans do.. I'm sure a few songs I have said were crap or not worth any wait might have been songs I liked if I gave them the time, then listened with headphones

nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 08:11:32 AM »

Well, let's be sincere. Nothing's "mid blowing" or "earth shattering" here. Sometimes it sounds good, sometimes it sounds great, and sometimes it sounds bad. It will be a good Rock record, but I don't think it will be as great as AFD or the UYI. I can't see it happening, for many reasons. The 1st one is the musical quality wich is not as great as I expected. Maybe it's much more difficult today to make great music than 15 or 20 years ago because of the Internet.

After listening to these demos, I don't think CD will sell 20 or 25 million copies...but anyway, it's going to be a good Rock record though.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 08:18:30 AM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Origen
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 08:15:45 AM »

I wounder what they would of said if they heard the Full Better or Catcher in the Rye  hihi

Decipherable Lyrics: "Gonna call the president, gonna call a private eye, gonna need the IRS, gonna get the FBI." Why? Is he finally wondering where his career went?

rofl
Saboteur Cyb. Punk
Banned
Rocker

Buckethead unmasked!!!

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 08:17:39 AM »

Well, let's be sincere. Nothing's "mid blowing" or "earth shattering" here. Sometimes it sounds good, sometimes it sounds great, and sometimes it sounds bad. It will be a good Rock record, but it won't be as great as AFD or the UYI...exept it the studio materil is WAY better than those demos.
That's what I think too. If T.W.A.T and Catcher in The Rye are "The Big Guns" it will be average rock record. Something like "The Spaghetti Incident"
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 08:20:19 AM by Saboteur Cyb. Punk » Logged

I Mean Acid / Do Ya Like It ?
duga
VIP

If you're not a rock star - at least act like one

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 08:18:12 AM »

Well, let's be sincere. Nothing's "mid blowing" or "earth shattering" here. Sometimes it sounds good, sometimes it sounds great, and sometimes it sounds bad. It will be a good Rock record, but it won't be as great as AFD or the UYI...exept it the studio materil is WAY better than those demos.

Hearing those ten (OMG + 5 live + 4 demo) new songs I think CD will be at least as good as the worst half of the songs on UYI1&2. That means a very good record.

Stockholm 2006, Oslo 2010, Maryland 2016, Stockholm 2017, Gothenburg 2018

Power to the people, peace out and blame Canada
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 08:20:09 AM »

But three new GN'R songs in one week? That's hardly normal. That's the musical equivalent of Howard Hughes, Greta Garbo and J.D. Salinger throwing a surprise party for Bigfoot.
rofl rofl Thats hella funny. Add to that Greta frying Elvis a peanut butter and banana sandwich and it would be even closer to the truth.
honestly these people review albums or singles, they are busy people, they don't plop their asses down and give these songs six billion listens to have them warm up to them or grow on them like the new gnr fans do.. I'm sure a few songs I have said were crap or not worth any wait might have been songs I liked if I gave them the time, then listened with headphones
You're absolutely correct. The media will give something one or two listens. Thats the main reason these demos shouldnt have been sent all over the galaxy to be scrutinized. I'm actually surprised the songs got as good of a review from these people as it did. We might love them, but that doesnt mean they are ready for public consumption.

Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2006, 08:27:50 AM »

That's what I think too. If T.W.A.T and Catcher in The Rye are "The Big Guns" it will be average rock record. Something like "The Spaghetti Incident"

Agree, but CITR isn't a big gun, all of the 'new' songs are much better (except Silkworms). As far as we know, Better, IRS, TWAT, CITR, Madagascar, The Blues and Chinese Democracy will make the album. If the other half is on the same level, then it'll be a good album, although not mind-blowing or earth-shattering. So it'll be better than TSI, but not better than an album Axl (or Slash) should drop in every 2 years with 6 months of writing and recording.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2006, 08:44:00 AM »

I agree with that assessment completely
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2006, 08:50:21 AM »

I think once the album is released we will see much more articles such as this.  It's people comparing the old GNR to the new GNR thats going to be the downfall of this album, unless Axls got another SCOM up his sleeve.

oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2006, 08:54:01 AM »

We should send him the full clip.

Just kidding!

I just did Grin
St_Jimmyuk
VIP

Im Right next door to hell...

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2006, 09:14:01 AM »

i think he was a bit harsh, i think the songs a great as do a many number of people, im only worried that if people keep on leaking these tracks axl will delay the album once more and change the tracks, axl already didn't trust the internet and with his temprement i wouldn't put it past him to crap the album and start again removing all the leaked trakcs

- They call me Lenny...... But that's not my name, that's not my name.
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2006, 09:24:49 AM »

I think once the album is released we will see much more articles such as this.? It's people comparing the old GNR to the new GNR thats going to be the downfall of this album, unless Axls got another SCOM up his sleeve.

well considering he kept the name Guns N Roses, that's to be expected don't you think hihi

It's pretty naive to think the general listening public wou;dn't compare AFD to UTI to CD and vice versa

Of course, I find it hysterical and awfully hypocritical of fans to get all bent and bothered when someone compares the new material unfavorably to the old.  yet, scream and shout in agreement if it's a favorable comparison.

You know if somethink it's great, fine, bets musioc ever written.  If it's unfavorable, how can you say that when it's only a demo or how dare you campare the new band to the old.

Can't have it both ways people ok
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2006, 09:33:50 AM »

Better | 2:06

We found two incomplete versions of this number -- but both were long enough to get the idea. 

Were they really?  Roll Eyes
You should've known they're crazy.
Janabis
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2006, 09:34:41 AM »

The thing is, no piece of music, by anyone, in all of history can live up to that kind of judgement standard. Beethoven's 5th symphony didn't take ten years to compose. Will Axl impact music history to the same degree that Beethoven did? Of course not. If Chinese Democracy turns out to be a great rock album, then that's all that matters. Makes no difference if it took him 10 years or 10 minutes.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: