Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2024, 08:51:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228144 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl Rose will always have my utmost respect as a musical artist...
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl Rose will always have my utmost respect as a musical artist...  (Read 2911 times)
Mr.Intensity
Banned
Legend

Intensity, Integrity, Intelligence

« on: February 28, 2006, 12:00:05 PM »

When talking about Axl Rose, I often refuse to acknowledge anyone who wants to bring up his hair style, his personal life, his decision to hire a new set of musicians, or anything else that isn't relevant to what Axl has decided to share with us... his musical creativity.

Axl Rose, in my opinion has proved that he most likely has the most musical integrity out of any artist of our generation. While some bands such as Metallica, Korn, Nickelback, Limp Bizkit etc... choose to put out album after album of complacent material in order to extract every last cent from its listenership Axl Rose has refused to release Chinese Democracy until he thinks it is ready. I was floored in 2002 when some people claimed he was just rounding up people to fill the old bands shoes in an effort to make some quick money. When I seen even old fans claim something like that I quickly realized that these people must be deaf, dumb, and blind. How can anyone not see that Axl has always been the creative impetus behind Guns N Roses? Yes, he was blessed with talented musicians, much like a sports coach can be blessed with terrific players, but it was Axl who pushed these musicians and got the best out of them. I applaud Axl for wanting to make a complex/challenging record and it is ashame that the former members wanted complacency when Axl wanted to strive for something more. I know it must have been tough for Axl to even fathom hiring new musicians, but in the end I truly believe that this was the right move. A lot of people have stated Axl should have let the name Guns N Roses die with dignity, but what dignity lies in allowing one of the greatest names in Rock N Roll history to lie there and rot instead of working harder to take it up yet another level? I have nothing but the utmost respect for Axl as a musical artist and I believe in the end he is going to be the one who has saved the name Guns N Roses from rottining in musical complacency and also the one who is the creative impetus once again behind taking it to the next level. In the end Axl will have led not one group of musicians to the top, but now two. I can't wait until the greatness of Chinese Democracy silences all his critics. peace
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 12:01:41 PM by Mr.Intensity » Logged
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 12:06:51 PM »

Thats a mighty big paragraph.

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 12:09:46 PM »

A lot of people have stated Axl should have let the name Guns N Roses die with dignity, but what dignity lies in allowing one of the greatest names in Rock N Roll history to lie there and rot instead of working harder to take it up yet another level?

because people do that when their band breaks up and they loose all the members that made that great name.. They don't feel the need to continue on without that chemistry of guys.. Most people know that one person doesn't make a up a group.. ?Hell of a lot easier to keep a huge name and allow it to help you get everything you need to accomplish these ?tasks (money, unlimited time, control over eevryone)..

As for axl he will always be my favorite singer and he made great music with gnr from day one..

many gnr or axl rose fans tend to have this almighty complex where everyone else is robbing their fans and putting out complacent music because they do things in a timely fashion... Metallica fucking rocked ?, they gave you kill em all, ride the lightning, master of puppets,. and justice for all, black album.. ?
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 12:11:36 PM »

I can't wait until the greatness of Chinese Democracy silences all his critics.

and I can't wait for all the excuses and fuck everyone when this giant plan everyone has in their head comes back down to earth... it'll be a great album, good tour shows I'm sure, but no 87-93 will it ever be,..
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 12:13:33 PM »

Well, you have to also consider that rock isn't as popular as it was when it was 87-93.
ARC
VIP

DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE TO THE RADIO

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 12:14:31 PM »

The new album might be better than "AFD".
It might not be.
Who knows...

Why don't we wait until it's OUT until we judge..?
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 12:15:09 PM »

Axl is his own person and thats what makes him great. That is why I dont idolize any other artist. I never have and probably never will. I wouldnt let comments about his appearance bother you. Who cares? Who the fuck are the people saying it? Nobodies. Second Rate comics on VH1. and wanna be djs. WHo cares who are they. As for any artist throwing digs at Axl. Not many can hold a candle to what he has accomplished, so them too are nobodies.

The album will do the talking. But the most important thing is that you liek it and enjoy it...not any1 else. Of course we would all like for it to get praise from everyone. But in reality it wont. Fairly or unfairly.

Its funny when I read from the regulars around here say that only the gnr community is excited about the new songs and think there great. How come they dont mention that a lot of peopel out there will disregard the album and not give it a chance because its Axl, not the old band or simply because its Guns N roses.

Liek many things in life...it gfoes both ways...thats why It dont really matter. If its for you then its all gravy, if you think it sux, fine but mov eon, we dont need you and your "objective analysis" here..,....

and I can't wait for all the excuses and fuck everyone when this giant plan everyone has in their head comes back down to earth... it'll be a great album, good tour shows I'm sure, but no 87-93 will it ever be,..
What giant plan? The hope is for a great album. Thats all any1 here wants. SO how would the big plan come falling down? If we get a great album, as you think/say we will...then mission accomplished!

Will GNR of today have the same impact as they did back in the day..of course not. But what does that mean? To mean it means nothing other than its a different time and situation...

But ill tell you this...The gnr of today can create the same great music that the old gnr did. And isnt that what counts the most?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 12:18:16 PM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 12:17:02 PM »

I've already appreciated his musical talents since '88. Until he proves me wrong, he's the best Frontman ever IMO. Everything he performs on is fantastic.

(PS I choose to ignore TSI hihi )

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 12:21:26 PM »

Why don't we wait until it's OUT until we judge..?
Now you know damn good and well that we dont wait for things around here! rofl

Gunnershome
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 12:32:41 PM »

He is my delivery of something new in my live always he is the best singer and action/entertainer there is

,but like every human he has his bad things...like stopping shows or not showing up,or canceling shows with no statement at all....or saying that he never knows that a gig was confirmd (when it was confirmd on his own website that days...gnronline..Gelredome holland)

Bands like Metallica are Big because they have there problems but they will always be there for there fans and when they can not play because of technical resons they coming up on the podium and say normaly sorry guys we have a problem..see ya next time sorry but shit happens..,then you can be mad but you know a reason and things like that happen.

But i personly missed 3 gigs(cancelled shows like rir 4)...sow axl in 2002,hope to meet him someday like i did with Steven...and now going to rock Lisboa.
we gonna kick some ass overthere...hopefuly Axl will be there and hopefuly axl makes the best of 2006 for all the fans but most for his own to.

killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 01:23:35 PM »

Axl has graduated from an artist adored for his sexuality and trendiness to one respected for his integrity and vision. I really think people misconstrue the silence these past ten years as his failure to produce marketable music. On the contrary, as Axl said himself, he's been holding it back.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Charity Case
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 01:35:09 PM »

I respect Axl for just what Intensity said....he isn't about the money or the fame...he's about the music.  I'd like anyone here to point out another rock frontman (beside Maynard who I feel falls into this category) that you can say has never sold out to the fans, the press, the industry, or his own bandmates.  Have you listened to the new NIN album?  It sucks so bad.  Each song is the same shit over and over again.  Songs like "Everyday is the Same" are so bad and would never show up on a GNR album.  NIN is a classic example of what GNR is not. 

I agree with you Intensity.

CC
Rockin' Rose
VIP

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2006, 02:17:47 PM »

I respect Axl for just what Intensity said....he isn't about the money or the fame...he's about the music.  I'd like anyone here to point out another rock frontman (beside Maynard who I feel falls into this category) that you can say has never sold out to the fans, the press, the industry, or his own bandmates.  Have you listened to the new NIN album?  It sucks so bad.  Each song is the same shit over and over again.  Songs like "Everyday is the Same" are so bad and would never show up on a GNR album.  NIN is a classic example of what GNR is not. 

CC

I totally agree except the NIN thing, haven't listened enough to know

During the last few weeks I've been very excited not because date for CD was released but because I've heard new music from Axl and he sounds great, the new material (including the live versions) is different from the old days and I prefer it that way. I don't want to hear the same stuff again album by album (sorry AC/DC)

Axl knows that it's his vocals that make guns n' roses song a guns n' roses song, it's the thing that people will always recognize. I do get little bashed at work for being excited for the leaked demos and the tour dates but I just say f*#k you! Thats because they don't know why I like him, most of them listenes to crappy music that is to my standards but I don't bash them for liking Children of Bodom or Ace of Base because I know they have memories that those songs bring back. When I've been alone, sad or happy I've been listening to guns n' roses and hearing the music makes me feel better so to speak.

Na Naa Naa Naa Na Naa Naa...
ElNonoPololo
Headliner

Here Today...I guess

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2006, 02:43:37 PM »

I have and I?ll always think Axl is a unique singer and a great frontman.

But as an artist...well, he does have major lapses of taste. Both in appearence AND in his music. The whole UYI tour was truly ridiculous. Their version of Knockin on Heaven?s Doors is, IMO, an abortion. Gimme some reggea!...Gimme a break. And there are many other things...(Get in the Ring lyrics, for example... Tongue)

And, personally, I see Chinese Democracy as a trainwreck rather than as proof of artistic integrity...

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!!
alexh0618
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2006, 02:55:13 PM »

I respect Axl for just what Intensity said....he isn't about the money or the fame...he's about the music.? I'd like anyone here to point out another rock frontman (beside Maynard who I feel falls into this category) that you can say has never sold out to the fans, the press, the industry, or his own bandmates.? Have you listened to the new NIN album?? It sucks so bad.? Each song is the same shit over and over again.? Songs like "Everyday is the Same" are so bad and would never show up on a GNR album.? NIN is a classic example of what GNR is not.?

CC

During the last few weeks I've been very excited not because date for CD was released but because I've heard new music from Axl and he sounds great, the new material (including the live versions) is different from the old days and I prefer it that way. I don't want to hear the same stuff again album by album (sorry AC/DC)
Axl knows that it's his vocals that make guns n' roses song a guns n' roses song, it's the thing that people will always recognize. I do get little bashed at work for being excited for the leaked demos and the tour dates but I just say f*#k you! Thats because they don't know why I like him, most of them listenes to crappy music that is to my standards but I don't bash them for liking Children of Bodom or Ace of Base because I know they have memories that those songs bring back. When I've been alone, sad or happy I've been listening to guns n' roses and hearing the music makes me feel better so to speak.

You have to respect AC/DC for what they have done. They have never really strayed from their roots.

As for Guns N' Roses, they are a band that has changed their sound over a span of 4 albums but are still unique from the rest of the crowd. There will probly never be another frontman like Axl.
Rockin' Rose
VIP

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2006, 03:07:52 PM »

CC

You have to respect AC/DC for what they have done. They have never really strayed from their roots.

As for Guns N' Roses, they are a band that has changed their sound over a span of 4 albums but are still unique from the rest of the crowd. There will probly never be another frontman like Axl.

Oh I do respect them, they are quite talented but the music (with Brian singing) gets a bit boring if you play them album by album, but hey it's just my opinion.

Na Naa Naa Naa Na Naa Naa...
Always
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2006, 03:39:12 PM »

and you will have my respect when you leak CITR
alexh0618
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2006, 03:39:56 PM »

I respect Axl for just what Intensity said....he isn't about the money or the fame...he's about the music.? I'd like anyone here to point out another rock frontman (beside Maynard who I feel falls into this category) that you can say has never sold out to the fans, the press, the industry, or his own bandmates.? Have you listened to the new NIN album?? It sucks so bad.? Each song is the same shit over and over again.? Songs like "Everyday is the Same" are so bad and would never show up on a GNR album.? NIN is a classic example of what GNR is not.?

CC

Oh I do respect them, they are quite talented but the music (with Brian singing) gets a bit boring if you play them album by album, but hey it's just my opinion.
I'll admit it can get boring but thats AC/DC. You know what you are going to hear when you listen to them.
Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2006, 05:00:20 PM »

I agree.  Is it time yet?
Mike McKagan
Rocker

I'm a small town white boy...

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2006, 05:36:03 PM »

I agree with most of what you have to say, Mr. Intensity.  Axl will present product (better yet, ART), when he's comfortable with it.  I categorize him in this respect with the great Renaissance artists, who may have spent decades on a fresco or a sculpture, but by God, when it was finished, nobody accused them of 'cashing in' or 'selling out'.

There are two minor issues on which I disagree with you, however.  You call Axl THE creative impetus (emphasis mine) of the original GN'R.  I don't think that's a fair assessment.  Certainly, it seems like he was the most motivated, and also the most talented lyricist.  However, I look a song like "Don't Damn Me", and I see why this statement rings a little hollow for me.  Yes, Axl penned some of the greatest lyrics of his career here, but the song itself was written completely by Slash, who brought it to the others as a basically finished composition.  Without the lyrics OR the riffs, it doesn't succeed as a great song.  I'm not disagreeing that Axl had a huge hand in the success of the band (as opposed to, say, Adler).  What I am saying is that he was only ONE OF the major creative influences in the band.  Your original post, methinks, doesn't quite share enough credit for their greatest works.

Regarding the continued use of the Guns N' Roses name, I think quite frankly that it's an albatross Axl doesn't need around his neck any longer.  The only practical reason for keeping the name is to sell more albums (yes, I know Axl feels protective of the name and that it 'feels' right to him to still be using it, but I just don't think that holds water).  I have every faith that Axl will raze the current music scene with the transcendence of Chinese Democracy, but if he's so intent on doing something new, why not make it a truly clean slate?  I think a lot of the criticisms he has to deal with come not from the band breaking up or him working with new musicians, but just from the fact that he seems to be trying to have his cake and eat it too.  When Paul McCartney played Red Square, he did it as Paul McCartney, and people were fine with that.  I guess he could've called his new band The Beatles, but why?  It's not necessary.  Same with Axl.

So yeah, great post.  I love stumbling on well-articulated topics for debate on this site.

VR--Nashville, TN--10/16/2004
GN'R--Portland, OR--12/11/2006
GN'R--Rosemont, IL--11/15/2011
GN'R--Nashville, TN--07/09/2016
GN'R--Saint Louis, MO--09/09/2023
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: