Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 05, 2024, 06:45:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228153 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Did axl achieve his goal with UYI 1 and 2 ?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did axl achieve his goal with UYI 1 and 2 ?  (Read 4545 times)
Irish gunner II
Rocker

IRISH BY BIRTH, CORK BY THE GRACE OF GOD

« on: February 26, 2006, 06:47:51 PM »

saying this because he said he wanted to bury AFD with the UYIs. So do people think he did what he set out to do with the use your illusion albums.   
nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 06:49:21 PM »

hrm, well i think AFD and UYI are just different albums, and difficult to really compare.  like spples to oranges.

they both rock, but in different ways

"This isn't McDonald's or Burger King - it isn't 'Have it your way.'"
- Axl Rose, as cited by Del James
jimb0
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 06:49:52 PM »

He said he wasn't totally satisfied with UYI and that he didn't approve of the recording process in which things weren't perfected.  I think.  I think that is why CD is taking so long, he said he didn't want to do a recording process like illusions again. 
Irish gunner II
Rocker

IRISH BY BIRTH, CORK BY THE GRACE OF GOD

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 06:54:40 PM »

hrm, well i think AFD and UYI are just different albums, and difficult to really compare.? like spples to oranges.

they both rock, but in different ways

ya thats what i think that aswell.No doubt they both rock.I think Appetite and UYI represent the evolution of GNR.And AFD is raw and a great album,while UYI is very polished even if axl said he didnt like parts of it.
Eclipsed107
VIP

Fucked over in Philly - 12/06/02

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 06:55:32 PM »

Axl didn't even come close to burrying AFD with the Illusions. ?The Illusions are 2 great albums, and if you put the best songs together you'd have an amazing album, but it still wouldn't be AFD.

AFD will forever be the best Gn'R album and one of the most reconized and best albums of all time Cool

If I said you had a beautiful body, would you take your pants off and dance around a little?
jimb0
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 07:03:53 PM »

My History of Rock muisc class text book called the illusions "Fairly bloated yet still fairly wonderful"  LOL

Yeha you'll never bury AFD, EVER
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 07:05:17 PM »

Axl didn't even come close to burrying AFD with the Illusions. ?The Illusions are 2 great albums, and if you put the best songs together you'd have an amazing album, but it still wouldn't be AFD.

AFD will forever be the best Gn'R album and one of the most reconized and best albums of all time Cool

Everyone has a different opinion, but UYI is actually what got me into GN'R and I see them as fine as they are, there was no need to cut them down to one album.

To AFD was like the perfect hard rock album, whereas UYI was lots of different styles and genres and really pushed the bands talents. I hope CD is like that too.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
sandman
Legend

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006, 07:14:51 PM »

not even close.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
88 Days
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2006, 07:31:38 PM »

axl said in 2002 that he gave into alot of pressure with the illusions, and that he didn't want that to happen with chinese democracy. that's part of why it's taking so long, he regrets giving into pressure and he's damn sure making up for it now.
on a site note; how fucking cool will it be to see chinese democracy in your cd case next to appetite, lies, the illusions and spaghetti? a new friggin guns n' roses cd to the collection!!!! it will be UNREAL Shocked just something i thought about just now. history in the making right here guys, and we're all watching it happen beer
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2006, 07:40:31 PM »

He said he wasn't totally satisfied with UYI and that he didn't approve of the recording process in which things weren't perfected.? I think.? I think that is why CD is taking so long, he said he didn't want to do a recording process like illusions again.?

That's a complete fabrication.  He said the exact opposite.  He said it came out the exact way the band wanted it with the exception of the end of breakdown when he's talking over the outtro.

So to is the statement he wanted to bury AFD.  He wanted to show the public a different side to GnR and the success of AFD allowed him the time to make the rcord exactly the way he wanted it.

Axl: Everything on that record is exactly the f*cking way we wanted it. I can find a couple of points where a not wasn't quite in time, and a couple of things like that, but everything came out the way we wanted it. That's not to say it's perfect or it's the best, but we have a real good understanding of our abilities and what we sound like now and what we were able to do. I didn't really do any harmonies with myself like on "Sweet Child." On this record, I just sang with myself. It was in different keys, so there was some form of harmony. But it wasn't planned harmonies like on "Sweet Child" or "Nightrain" on the first record. I just wanted to sing with myself in a different octave.

Axl: We worked really hard on it, and really there is nothing on the record that didn't come out the way we wanted, except maybe the vocal speech at the end of "Breakdown." The mix on the speakers that we did the mastering on was loud enough, but on other sets of speakers it's not. It depends on what stereo you're hearing it on, and we didn't know that.

Sorry to piss on your parade. 
88 Days
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2006, 07:45:43 PM »

well he also said in 2002 (check the gnronline interview with del james) that he gave into alot of pressure with the illusions (as i mentioned) and that "those albums suffered as a consequence"
of course his mind could've changed in ten years, but he added that he had no intention of letting that happen this time.
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2006, 07:49:10 PM »

He said he wasn't totally satisfied with UYI and that he didn't approve of the recording process in which things weren't perfected.  I think.  I think that is why CD is taking so long, he said he didn't want to do a recording process like illusions again. 

That's a complete fabrication.  He said the exact opposite.  He said it came out the exact way the band wanted it with the exception of the end of breakdown when he's talking over the outtro.

So to is the statement he wanted to bury AFD.  He wanted to show the public a different side to GnR and the success of AFD allowed him the time to make the rcord exactly the way he wanted it.

Axl: Everything on that record is exactly the f*cking way we wanted it. I can find a couple of points where a not wasn't quite in time, and a couple of things like that, but everything came out the way we wanted it. That's not to say it's perfect or it's the best, but we have a real good understanding of our abilities and what we sound like now and what we were able to do. I didn't really do any harmonies with myself like on "Sweet Child." On this record, I just sang with myself. It was in different keys, so there was some form of harmony. But it wasn't planned harmonies like on "Sweet Child" or "Nightrain" on the first record. I just wanted to sing with myself in a different octave.

Axl: We worked really hard on it, and really there is nothing on the record that didn't come out the way we wanted, except maybe the vocal speech at the end of "Breakdown." The mix on the speakers that we did the mastering on was loud enough, but on other sets of speakers it's not. It depends on what stereo you're hearing it on, and we didn't know that.

Sorry to piss on your parade. 

God forbid someone could change their mind.. =/. Your not pissing on anyones parade.

Of corse Axl is gonna say he thought it was great as soon as it came out.. whats he gonna say "meh it wasn't that great.."?

gnrevolution.com
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2006, 07:50:02 PM »

well he also said in 2002 (check the gnronline interview with del james) that he gave into alot of pressure with the illusions (as i mentioned) and that "those albums suffered as a consequence"
of course his mind could've changed in ten years, but he added that he had no intention of letting that happen this time.

Or, he may have said that as an excuse for the delay of CD. ?He may have said it in 2002. ?In 1991, he said otherwise.
KIKO2K6
Happy as a Pig in Shit
VIP

I am a ''ROCKER''

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2006, 07:54:54 PM »

My History of Rock muisc class text book called the illusions "Fairly bloated yet still fairly wonderful"? LOL

Yeha you'll never bury AFD, EVER

Of course because AFD is a masterpiace its Percfect !

The New Interpretation of a Masterwerk!!!!

http://www.angelfire.com/art2/kikoalbuquerque/

Chinese Democracy Starts....sometime between now and November 25th !
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2006, 07:55:42 PM »

Axl: We've known from day one that the record wasn't going to come out until we're ready. That's one reason why we worked so hard to sell so many records the first time around - so that we could make sure we got this record done exactly the way we wanted to. Then the press comes out with how we are delaying the record. No! What do you mean delaying the record? It's my record! Delaying it? Do we want another Godfather III? No. We don't want Godfather III with our record. We want it to be right! We don't want it coming out six weeks early and saying, "I wish we would have had the time to get this part right."
88 Days
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2006, 08:01:11 PM »

Or, he may have said that as an excuse for the delay of CD. ?He may have said it in 2002. ?In 1991, he said otherwise.
i know he said otherwise in 1991, like i said people change their minds in 10 years, cause in 2002 he said this:

Regarding the work in progress Axl commented as follows:

?I gave into a lot of pressure on Illusions both internally in Guns and externally in the press, those albums suffered as a consequence, it's not something I'm too excited to have to live with again."

so i was just trying to put things into perspective here.
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2006, 08:06:48 PM »

If Axl did say that, he sure used alot of songs from the AFD days on UYI:

Novemebr Rain
Estranged
Don't Cry
You Could be Mine
Bad obsession

Were all written prior to AFD's release. ?Don't Cry didn't make it becaue they wanted a complete rock album, start to ficish. ?YCBM was a final cut
jimb0
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2006, 08:07:13 PM »

No ones pissing on my parade... Axl contradicted himself. 
jimb0
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2006, 08:09:58 PM »

Novemebr Rain
Estranged
Don't Cry
You Could be Mine
Bad obsession

Were all written prior to AFD's release.  Don't Cry didn't make it becaue they wanted a complete rock album, start to ficish.  YCBM was a final cut

And now Axl's doing something similar with all this material and Chinese.  The songs that don't make it on the first will make it on the second release.  I wonder if YCBM was recorded and just not put on....
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2006, 08:11:46 PM »

Novemebr Rain
Estranged
Don't Cry
You Could be Mine
Bad obsession

Were all written prior to AFD's release.  Don't Cry didn't make it becaue they wanted a complete rock album, start to ficish.  YCBM was a final cut

confused

Maybe Axl was complaining about the recording process its self? The way it was mixed? Thats different than not being satisfied with the actual songs...

gnrevolution.com
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: