Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 05, 2024, 07:21:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228153 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Did axl achieve his goal with UYI 1 and 2 ?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did axl achieve his goal with UYI 1 and 2 ?  (Read 4553 times)
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2006, 08:13:15 PM »

either way, i didn't say it. ?He did. ?

Either he wasn't pleased with it or he was making excuses for the delay. ?Being a cynic, that's why I think he said what he said in 2002. ?Trying to justify a 11 year gap between original material. ?Common sense says there is an ajenda when reading a comment like that. ?As well as trotting out an entirely new band on the road for the 1st time in almost 10 years. ?
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2006, 08:22:25 PM »

saying this because he said he wanted to bury AFD with the UYIs. So do people think he did what he set out to do with the use your illusion albums.? ?

On AFD:

Axl: I wanted this to be the biggest selling debut album from a rock act ever!

On UYI:

Axl: Whether we sell many more records is not necessarily the question, it's just the way we're able to go about recording and putting the records out with a bit more respect than we had before. It gains us more respect in the business world. Some of it is superficial, some of it is very real. Either way it can work to our advantage

Axl: There are probably 30 songs to choose from. We have about 10 ballads that I feel are more credible that 'Sweet Child O' Mine'. We wanted to save those ballads, because we wanted to wait until we had a bigger audience. We never imagined it would be this big, but we have some songs we've been waiting to spring on people for a long time.
88 Days
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2006, 08:24:52 PM »

On AFD:

axl actually achieved this goal, how cool is that smoking
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2006, 08:28:15 PM »

On AFD:

Combined, I think the Illusion albums equalled the sales for AFD. Axl wanted to have them all be one album.  The label wanted to package it as 2 seperate albums.
88 Days
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2006, 08:41:44 PM »

On AFD:

Combined, I think the Illusion albums equalled the sales for AFD. Axl wanted to have them all be one album.? The label wanted to package it as 2 seperate albums.
i know this, i've been a guns fan for 16 years. ok
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2006, 08:44:22 PM »

the last 12 have been pretty frustrating heh
Amish
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2006, 08:45:15 PM »

I never heard that the record label wanted them to be 2 separate albums. 

I thought Duff said in an interview once, "we released it as two albums because one guy could buy one and his buddy could buy the other and they could make copies for each other."
mitchejw
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2006, 08:48:05 PM »

My History of Rock muisc class text book called the illusions "Fairly bloated yet still fairly wonderful"? LOL

Yeha you'll never bury AFD, EVER

Whao? history of rock class? I missed that one during registration
88 Days
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2006, 09:11:03 PM »

My History of Rock muisc class text book called the illusions "Fairly bloated yet still fairly wonderful"? LOL

Yeha you'll never bury AFD, EVER
you should call him the same. ok
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2006, 09:20:28 PM »

I never heard that the record label wanted them to be 2 separate albums.?

I thought Duff said in an interview once, "we released it as two albums because one guy could buy one and his buddy could buy the other and they could make copies for each other."

Axl: We're going to try and make the longest record that we can. We're going to try and put down as many songs as we can. I don't know if it will be a very, very long single album or maybe a double album.

Axl: I've never really looked at it as two separate albums. That was Geffen Records' marketing plan. I've always looked at it as an entire package. For me it fits together perfectly for the 30 songs in a row. Everything that we decided to record for the album made it. Actually there were 29 songs and "My World" just kind of presented itself.
88 Days
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2006, 09:25:19 PM »

I never heard that the record label wanted them to be 2 separate albums.?

Axl: We're going to try and make the longest record that we can. We're going to try and put down as many songs as we can. I don't know if it will be a very, very long single album or maybe a double album.

Axl: I've never really looked at it as two separate albums. That was Geffen Records' marketing plan. I've always looked at it as an entire package. For me it fits together perfectly for the 30 songs in a row. Everything that we decided to record for the album made it. Actually there were 29 songs and "My World" just kind of presented itself.

lmao @ putting a song as a closer on the album without telling the rest of the band and they were just like "what the fuck is this?" rofl
only axl.... hihi
sandman
Legend

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2006, 09:38:47 PM »

axl said he wanted to bury appetite. i can remember seeing that interview on mtv several times.

but it's nearly impossible to "bury" an album that is arguably the greatest ever made.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2006, 09:43:22 PM »

^^well if said it, he failed....both musically and sales wise
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2006, 09:46:10 PM »

axl said he wanted to bury appetite. i can remember seeing that interview on mtv several times.

but it's nearly impossible to "bury" an album that is arguably the greatest ever made.

There's nothing wrong with having that mentality though. ok

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2006, 09:55:40 PM »

I dunno, to me there are moments on UYI that are better than AFD. Certainly not as a whole, but there are solos, lyrics and vocal moments that do bury AFD, at least I feel that way.
It's like the band pushed to give their best performances regardless of style or genre, so in that regard, to me it's a success.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2006, 09:58:49 PM »

there is also tons of filler on them i think....but from where I'm coming from.....I like the more ballsier songs so AFD would fit my taste....NR, Estranged, Don't Cry....all good songs but not my favs

AFD, from start to end....just kills the whole way thru
Chief
Legend

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2006, 10:02:58 PM »

I agree with this. I think overall it may not "bury" AFD but they definitely prove to be more creative and versatile than the AFD stuff ever was.. some of the lyrics are just awesome and deep!!!

I dunno, to me there are moments on UYI that are better than AFD. Certainly not as a whole, but there are solos, lyrics and vocal moments that do bury AFD, at least I feel that way.
It's like the band pushed to give their best performances regardless of style or genre, so in that regard, to me it's a success.

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
metallex78
Legend

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2006, 10:05:53 PM »

there is also tons of filler on them i think....but from where I'm coming from.....I like the more ballsier songs so AFD would fit my taste....NR, Estranged, Don't Cry....all good songs but not my favs

AFD, from start to end....just kills the whole way thru

Yeah, AFD is solid start to end, but UYI is more of a journey to me, so many musical styles, and I don't consider anything filler at all. Every song serves a purpose and sounds great to me. beer

oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2006, 10:08:32 PM »

I agree with this. I think overall it may not "bury" AFD but they definitely prove to be more creative and versatile than the AFD stuff ever was.. some of the lyrics are just awesome and deep!!!

I dunno, to me there are moments on UYI that are better than AFD. Certainly not as a whole, but there are solos, lyrics and vocal moments that do bury AFD, at least I feel that way.It's like the band pushed to give their best performances regardless of style or genre, so in that regard, to me it's a success.

That's not true.  Don't Cry, Novemebr Rain and Estranged were all written during the AFD/Lies days.

They weren't put on the album because the band made a choice to release a balls to the wall rock album cover to cover.  That creativity was always there.  They chose not to reveal that side until they were more established.
metallex78
Legend

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2006, 10:11:24 PM »

I dunno, to me there are moments on UYI that are better than AFD. Certainly not as a whole, but there are solos, lyrics and vocal moments that do bury AFD, at least I feel that way.It's like the band pushed to give their best performances regardless of style or genre, so in that regard, to me it's a success.

That's not true.? Don't Cry, Novemebr Rain and Estranged were all written during the AFD/Lies days.

They weren't put on the album because the band made a choice to release a balls to the wall rock album cover to cover.? That creativity was always there.? They chose not to reveal that side until they were more established.

Yeah that's true, but I'm not talking about when the songs were written, but just comparing the albums for what they are.

AFD is a balls to wall rocker from start to finish, whereas UYI is more like a rock opera! hehe

Plus, even if those songs were written back then, I don't think they would've fitted onto one album, they would've needed a double album which I think is a bit much for a debut.
UYI was clearing the decks of all the old songs the band had written plus delving deeper into other areas of rock that they had already established with AFD.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 10:14:29 PM by metallex78 » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: