Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 03:04:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228102 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  How big or popular GN'R on their heyday
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: How big or popular GN'R on their heyday  (Read 8715 times)
McGann
Haiku writing motherfucker
VIP

My hat is HEAVY-DUTY tinfoil

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2006, 09:07:41 PM »

My guess was always
Some violent manner of death
Left her disfigured.....?

Splash

/Mike

"When fascism came to America, it was called 'Political Correctness' and waved a culturally relative flag."
-Mike McGann
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2006, 09:07:52 PM »

Anybody like me old enough to remember what a watercooler event the video trilogy was?? Some small part of their hugeness in the early nineties was definitely due to trying to figure out what the hell had happened to Stephanie Seymour's face that required a mirrored casket divider.? By the way, does anyone actually know the answer to that question?? It's been bugging me for almost fifteen years!

blew half her head off with a gun? just a guess, i couldn't get through del james' story Undecided I thought it was bad

chrosken
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2006, 10:06:44 PM »

Oh my goodness.  They were big as I could have imagined.

Thank you guys so much for replying to my post.  That made my day complete. 

metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2006, 10:17:16 PM »

GN'R were HUGE back in the day. Hell, even my grandmother knew or had heard about them, and you'd be hard pressed to find another hard rock band that had such mainstream appeal across the board like GN'R did back then.

You get popular bands these days, but nothing like GN'R in the early 90's.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 10:19:23 PM by metallex78 » Logged

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
dangnr
Headliner

My babys gotta locomotive

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2006, 11:21:22 PM »

As time goes by things always get exagerated, GNR were huge the biggest band of the world no doubt! for a short time. only bands during and after GNR heyday that were as big were defetnly U2, and Nirvana.
Nirvana I beleive has always been over ratedbecause of the tragic death of Cobain. U2 have been the biggest band in the world several times starting with The Joshua Tree, right up untill their newest Album
It would be interesting to see what GNR would of did if they had stayed together somehow, I wonder if they would of had the same success that U2 did.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2006, 11:29:23 PM »

As time goes by things always get exagerated, GNR were huge the biggest band of the world no doubt! for a short time. only bands during and after GNR heyday that were as big were defetnly U2, and Nirvana.
Nirvana I beleive has always been over ratedbecause of the tragic death of Cobain. U2 have been the biggest band in the world several times starting with The Joshua Tree, right up untill their newest Album
It would be interesting to see what GNR would of did if they had stayed together somehow, I wonder if they would of had the same success that U2 did.

u2, metallica, nirvana or no band was as big or bigger than gnr. Just good at the craz the release of the UYI albums caused. No band since the beatles and after gnr ever did that. SCOM still holes the record for most times in a row at #1 on dial mtv/trl. They were #1 for something like three months straight if im not mistaken.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2006, 11:31:08 PM »

Absolutely. The American version of the rolling stones.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
chrosken
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2006, 11:37:01 PM »

"SCOM still holes the record for most times in a row at #1 on dial mtv/trl. They were #1 for something like three months straight if im not mistaken."

When was did Dave?
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2006, 11:43:10 PM »

"SCOM still holes the record for most times in a row at #1 on dial mtv/trl. They were #1 for something like three months straight if im not mistaken."

When was did Dave?

Ps PC may have broken SCOM record later on too. One of those two videos holds the record if im not mistaken.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 11:45:35 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2006, 11:45:43 PM »

Guns was SO big that when they farted it made MTV news.  They were on the cover of every rock magazine every issue.  They were the kings of controversy and mayhem, and it was all legit.  Best of all, nobody sounded like them.  It was the last solid era of quality rock with quality rock stars.  Nobody has come close.  If kurt cobain doesn't kill himself, nirvana are a footnote in rock.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2006, 11:49:11 PM »

That's just it, it's NOT an exaggeration though, GN'R were HUGE! Shocked

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2006, 11:49:31 PM »

Oh one more thing ?guns n roses were one of the FIRST band to really play LIVE at the VMAs. At the time all the bands played to a tape but guns n roses said we want to play live and did. If you watch those old VMAs pretty much all the bands were not really playing live but guns ?n roses did.

88 Days
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2006, 11:52:46 PM »

guns n' roses was the definition of rock and roll. still is. ok
a bunch of bad-ass guys from the street who conquered the world with their incredible music, controversies, attitiude and audience attraction, and nobody has ever done it after them. smoking
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 11:54:19 PM by 88 Days » Logged
DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

Yes I have a shirt on, the words cover it.

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2006, 11:56:39 PM »

Guns just exploded..when they came out with the Jungle video..I remember all my friends trying to sing like Axl and all the guys wearing t-shirts and just trying to be bad ass like him.   They were all over MTV and yes all of Axls headlines making news.   They were big...really big beer

Where it's at   http://www.gnrevolution.com

check it out!!
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2006, 12:00:18 AM »

When was did Dave?

Ps PC may have broken SCOM record later on too. One of those two videos holds the record if im not mistaken.
You're correct, Dave. Sweet Child held the record for over a decade. I think Britney Spears or someone like that finally broke the record. The previous record holder before GNR was Michael Jackson's Thriller.

jimb0
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2006, 12:01:08 AM »

Oh one more thing  guns n roses were one of the FIRST band to really play LIVE at the VMAs. At the time all the bands played to a tape but guns n roses said we want to play live and did. If you watch those old VMAs pretty much all the bands were not really playing live but guns  n roses did.

If only they didn't play live in 2002  Sad
chrosken
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2006, 12:19:13 AM »

VMA 2002 was not one of their best performance but it was still better than the other artist.  MTV folks were calling it one of the best performance in years right after they perform.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2006, 12:23:05 AM »

VMA 2002 was not one of their best performance but it was still better than the other artist.  MTV folks were calling it one of the best performance in years right after they perform.

Yeah, I don't know people pan that performance so much.  It was a great little surprise to most people, it was the "return" of Axl, his scream in the beginning is amazing.  His voice, def not at its best, but what do you expect when the guy is running around like crazy.  I think he put more into the performance looked/felt then into how it sounded.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Ax
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2006, 01:13:20 AM »

Back in the day gnr were about as big as a band could possibly get. Pretty much everyone listened to gnr regardless of what type of music they liked. No band since has even been in the same league as gnr was in terms of popularity. Just think about the fact that gnr would play regular shows in football stadiums that seated 60 thousand people. These days the biggest bands play shows in front of like 15 thousand.

It is always strange that gnr is kind of forgotten about when that period of music is talked about, the story normally just talks about the hair bands of the 80s and how nirvana wiped them out, and that's it, gnr is normally not even mentioned. That's always kind of been a reason I've hoped that Axl would come back and make everyone remember just how great gnr was/is and correct the fact that music history about the early 90s was rewritten after Kurt's death.
axlsalinger
Rocker

All I got, is precious time...

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2006, 01:15:55 AM »

Anybody like me old enough to remember what a watercooler event the video trilogy was?? Some small part of their hugeness in the early nineties was definitely due to trying to figure out what the hell had happened to Stephanie Seymour's face that required a mirrored casket divider.

Ahh, those were the days, I remember everyone talking about that at the time. It's all true folks, Axl and GNR were as big as anyone back in those days. I guess Eminem is the best comparison from recent times, Axl was just as controversial (probably more so) and always talked about, everyone had an opinion. I remember watching the news one day, and there was a report about how Axl and his limo got a traffic ticket on the way to a show. This made the news!

It's funny, it seemed like all the chaos was accidental, but I swear Axl planned it that way. He had a major controversy ready for each album release that got them into the news - rape cover + explicit lyrics for AFD, "One in a Million" lyrics for Lies, the constant delays and "Get in the Ring" for UYI, and the Manson cover "Look at Your Game Girl" for "The Spaghetti Incident?"

I guess somewhere around 1994 Axl got tired of the mayhem and basically disappeared.

When all is said and done,
We're not the only ones,
Who look at life this way
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: